As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Deals] Thread: Stuff for the Stuff God!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    15 bucks for FC5 seems interesting.

Everything I heard sounds like they more or less squandered the basic concept but 15 bucks is 15 bucks.

Is the Gold Edition worth 24.50 if I use a coupon?

Is the DLC any good?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    This new Titanfall BR game thing has me wishing someone had a deal on Titanfall 2 for PC this week...

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Everything I heard sounds like they more or less squandered the basic concept but 15 bucks is 15 bucks.

Is the DLC any good?

It is not, IMO.

The Vietnam DLC is some of the most lazy and uninspired DLC I think I've ever seen. The Mars one is the best of the bunch, unless you don't like Hurk's brand of humor. The Zombie DLC is just OK. It's whole deal is a movie director pitching zombie movie ideas, and shit changes on the fly as he thinks of something "better" but there's not a whole lot to any of them. Really, they all felt like something someone threw together in the FC5 map editor.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Is the DLC any good?

It is not, IMO.

The Vietnam DLC is some of the most lazy and uninspired DLC I think I've ever seen. The Mars one is the best of the bunch, unless you don't like Hurk's brand of humor. The Zombie DLC is just OK. It's whole deal is a movie director pitching zombie movie ideas, and shit changes on the fly as he thinks of something "better" but there's not a whole lot to any of them. Really, they all felt like something someone threw together in the FC5 map editor.

Damn, I opted for the Gold Edition. Oh well, only spent about 24.50 on it.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Well, it is possible you'll find them more enjoyable than I did. Except for Vietnam, I don't think anyone likes that one. I was also expecting Blood Dragon quality stuff going in, so that's a bit on me too.

Also some FC5 related advice/heads up: You will periodically be forced to continue the main story if you've decided to free roam and do your own thing. If you cause enough chaos, the villains send capture squads after you and it forces you back into the story. Just letting you know beforehand because it was an annoyance for some folks when the game came out.

Also, there is crucial story information that is only ever relayed through very easily missable news reports on the radio. Maybe occasionally just drive around listening to the radio until you hear a news report.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Seems that way most of the time. I'm not sure I could name 10 truly well-written games with great gameplay. It's typically one or the other.

Wasteland 1 and 2.
    Sword of Aragorn.
    Tomb Raider / Return of the Tomb Raider
    Mass Effect 1
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Portal / Portal 2
    Shadowrun Returns / Shadowrun Dragonfall / Shadowrun Hong Kong
    Saint's Row 2 / Saint's Row 3 / Saint's Row 4
    GTA 3: Vice City, GTA 3: San Andreas, GTA 5
    Ultima 5
    Zork series
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    King's Quest series
    Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
    Space Quest series
    Psychonauts
    Gabriel Night
    Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate 2 / DLC for both
    Day of the Tentacle
    Half Life / Half Life 2
    Neir Automata
    God of War (PS2) / God of War (PS4)
    Fallout 1 / 2 / New Vegas
    Knights of the Old Republic / KOTOR 2 with fans patches
    The Legend of Zelda

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    On the contrary to anyone on the fence: I really liked the Far Cry 5 story and thought the ending was cool.

The way it gets to the ending is kinda dumb and at the time I wrote a page on here with how I thought it should have gone down and all that, but I look back at it now and think it was pretty awesome.

If you're completely in the dark about the new Far Cry coming out this month, stay that way as its actually a spoiler-filled direct sequel.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    a list

I haven't played every game on that list, but this is how I would break down what I have played:

Good Gameplay
    Tomb Raider / Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Saint's Row 3 / Saint's Row 4
    GTA 5
    Psychonauts
    Half Life 2
    Neir Automata
    The Legend of Zelda (only if we're referring to the series as a whole, if it's just the first game, then it's neither)

Good Writing
    Mass Effect 1
    Knights of the Old Republic

Good Writing & Good Gameplay
    Portal / Portal 2
    God of War (PS4)

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    There is just way too much subjectivity about what constitutes good gameplay and story for a list like that to ever be meaningful. For instance I have always been a big fan of the Dynasty Warriors franchise despite them being incredibly boring to the point of almost physical pain to a lot of people. There is probably a list you could make that most people would agree with, but everyone would have their own games they would also want to add to the list.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Weekly ads time, actual game deals edition.

Target Cartwheel
    20% off
    Power A Xbox One Enhanced controllers

Target
    Buy 2 get 1 free on select video games (includes some pre-orders like Anthem, excludes releasing this week games, 3ds and select Nintendo Switch games)

Best Buy
    Save $100 on XBO X Fallout 76 bundle

Save $10 on XBO controllers with purchase of XBO consoles

Get FarCry 5 for $19.99 with purchase of FarCry New Dawn

$49.99
    Civ 6 Switch

$44.99
    200k NBA 2k19 virtual currency

$39.99
    CODBLOPS 4
    COD WW2

$29.99
    Fifa 19
    Battlefield 5
    CODBLOPS 3
    Sims 4 Bundle
    NBA 2k19
    WWE 2k19
    Carnival Games

$19.99
    Starlink Starter sets (50% - 70% off Starlink toys/sets)
    GTA V Premium Online Edition
    NBA 2k19 Playgrounds 2
    Payday 2 (Switch)
    Just Dance 2019
    Mario + Rabbids

$14.99
    Warriors All Stars
    WWE 2k19 Season Pass

$9.99
    Sims 4
    Red Dead Redemption

Fry's

$39.99
    The World Ends with You (Switch)

$29.99
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna

Gamestop
    (through Feb 12)

$39.99
    Madden 19

$29.99
    Sims 4 Bundle

nusu on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Red Dead 2 is $40 at GameStop. Amazon has matched it.

And Spidey ($40) and Detroit ($20) have been given permanent price drops (based on PS Store prices).

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Weekly ads time, another minor holiday edition.

Looks like Anthem will be available at 9pm the night before the release date, check your favorite retailer.

Target Cartwheel
    50% off
    Battlefield 5

30% off
    SW Battlefront 2
    Turtle Beach Stealth 350 VR headset
    Mario Metal Red Switch Stand

25% off
    Madden 19
    MLB The Show 18
    COD Action Figures

Target
    Free $10 Target gift card with purchase of Anthem

$50 off XBO S Battlefield 5 bundle (looks like it's save $50 on all XBO consoles, $100 off the Fallout 76 XBO X bundle)

Best Buy
    Save $50 on select XBO consoles

Save $10 on XBO controllers

Save $10 on 3 or 6 months of Xbox Live

Get Far Cry 5 for $19.99 with purchase of Far Cry New Dawn

$39.99
    Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition
    Minecraft Master collection

$29.99
    AC Odyssey
    Forza Horizon 4
    Sea of Thieves
    Crash N'Sane trilogy
    Spyro Trilogy
    Warriors Orochi 4 (switch)

$19.99
    Rainbow 6 Siege
    State of Decay 2
    Minecraft Starter

$14.99
    PUBG (XBO only)

Fry's
    Save $50 on select XBO consoles

Save $10 on XBO controllers

Save $10 on 3 or 6 months of Xbox Live

$39.99
    Fallout 76

$24.99
    State of Decay 2

$16.99
    PS4 Hits games

$6.99
    PS4 Playlink games

Gamestop
    (Through 2/19)

Save $40 when you buy Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn together

$29.99
    NBA 2k19
    WWE 2k19
    Battlefield 5

$14.99
    NBA Live 19

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    If you save 100 buying an Xbox with fallout doesn't it make the system cheaper then buying it without the bundle? I am confused.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Please take this piece of shit game off our hands!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    If you save 100 buying an Xbox with fallout doesn't it make the system cheaper then buying it without the bundle? I am confused.

Some stores were giving people two free copies of 76 when they bought a console(the bundled copy and a copy just for the hell of it).

Methinks the game probably crashed and burned at market and folks are trying to unload excess inventory.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't think I'd like the white casing, but $100 off and a free drink coaster is nothing to sneeze at.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I bet if you keep it in its original packaging it will become a collector's item at some point because everyone is just throwing it away.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I bet if you keep it in its original packaging it will become a collector's item at some point because everyone is just throwing it away.

That's not a thing that really happens anymore. I mean maybe, but chances are super slim.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That's not a thing that really happens anymore. I mean maybe, but chances are super slim.

Yeah...Digital has really killed that market.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    There's still demand for physical versions in some cases, but it's rare. And it's never a case of "this game was bad and was moved out from stores for some reason so now it's rare!" Otherwise X-Men Destiny would be worth a fortune.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Yeah most games I see go for a lot are usually those super rare and hard to find PS1 era RPGs.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I pick up random steelbooks from time to time, because there is a big after market for them and they're usually limited runs, sometimes only available at places like Best Buy

I just snagged the steelbook for Crackdown 3 even though I have the actual game digital

Local H Jay on
  • Options

So this sealed copy of Metroid Prime isn't worth anything? Damn. There goes the kids' college money...

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

So this sealed copy of Metroid Prime isn't worth anything? Damn. There goes the kids' college money...

You can send them to a $61 college.
    https://www.pricecharting.com/game/gamecube/metroid-prime

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

You can send them to a $61 college.
    https://www.pricecharting.com/game/gamecube/metroid-prime

Reet!

• Options
    IIRC, Ocarina of Time 3D was out of print for a while, and even though it was available on the eShop, physical copies did go up in value. I don't think it ever went into triple digits, but even used copies were going for well above the original $40 price. Of course, it was short lived, because Nintendo put it back in print, then even added it to Nintendo Selects.

Digital has definitely had an effect on the perceived rarity of a game though, so I don't think we'll see the kind of insane prices we used to see for rare PS1 or Saturn games.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    You're not gonna see sealed copies of anything more recent being worth a lot simply because they're sealed because we live in the era of multi-million print runs of most titles. The amount of time you'd have to wait for any one of those titles in the hope that your sealed copy becomes one of the few around still sealed to the point where it becomes worth something would not be very feasible without more more of a hook - low print run, a peculiar story(does it have a misprint that later waves don't have e.g. FF7?), etc.

RPGs do tend to appreciate in value more often than anything else does, but that's mainly because they intrinsically tend to get lower runs relative to 1m+ runs of the Samus Primes and Mayros. Then once we hit a point where the nostalgia hunters start looking back at a particular console generation as a vehicle to relive their lost youth, you start seeing them fight over the limited copies that exist which of course is what mostly drives the price. We're actively seeing this happen with the Gamecube, where some left-field shit like Disney Sports Basketball goes for $200 on eBay.

Digital does have an effect on older titles(though it's not consistent across all titles), while ports/remasters on newer platforms have almost no impact on the price of the original; only a straight reprint will solidly tank the price(but apparently not always permanently from what I'm seeing recently). Also consider that despite the loss of the Wii store we still haven't yet reached the point where a platform owner has decided to implode support for one of the generations that started seeing simultaneous digital/physical releases(3DS-ish for Nintendo, PSP-ish/Vita/PS3 for Sony). Once that happens(it will certainly be when, not if) you'll start to see the big jumps in prices again.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been going through my game collection lately figuring out what to unload (figured out I'm never going to plug my NES back into a modern TV now that I have a NES Classic) and I'm learning there's zero rhyme or reason to what's valuable. I figured the Mega Man games wouldn't be worth much since they were everywhere, yet somehow Mega Man X3 is $180. Meanwhile Stretch Panic, a game I figured would be worth a ton since it's a Treasure game nobody's heard of, is just $13.

The collector's market is wacky.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    My signed vanilla WoW collectors box is still worth a decent amout but an unopened one goes for a few hundred unless things have changrd.

But yeah that is the exception in my remaining physical library.

• Options
    The unopened one only goes for that much because of the pets in the package. If you want to sell it, do that before the game gets any more unpopular.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    The unopened one only goes for that much because of the pets in the package. If you want to sell it, do that before the game gets any more unpopular.

Eh I have fond memories, which honestly I could have without the box.

When/If I decide to let it go I'm sure it'll be worthless as well.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I really feel they should offer them again in Vanilla revisited

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I figured the Mega Man games wouldn't be worth much since they were everywhere, yet somehow Mega Man X3 is $180.

I think a lot of the late-gen SNES games had kinda low print runs since people were moving on to N64, PS1, and Saturn, so that might drive up the price on something like MMX3. I could be completely wrong though.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I figured the Mega Man games wouldn't be worth much since they were everywhere, yet somehow Mega Man X3 is $180.

I think a lot of the late-gen SNES games had kinda low print runs since people were moving on to N64, PS1, and Saturn, so that might drive up the price on something like MMX3. I could be completely wrong though.

The nice thing is, you can get the MMX collection for $30 or less on the modern systems if you just want to play MMX3 and not add it to your dragon horde.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Weirdly enough most of the Mega Man NES/SNES games are expensive. Only 2,3, and X are below $20.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I really feel they should offer them again in Vanilla revisited

No way Jose. It’s one of the few games where I enjoyed my collectors item. Most other games it gets replaced pretty quickly on, but that one lives on and was worth it. It would, IMO, cheapen it to re offer it. But having said all that, I’m never going back because I lost way too much of my life to that perfect game already.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If I had known that they eventually would unlock all three of the pets for vanilla CE owners(reminder that originally you could only choose between one of three), and especially a decade later they'd implement pet battles, I might have found a way to pick up that version, but at the time it definitely wasn't an enticing enough charge over the standard version for high school me's limited budget.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Xbox Gift cards are the Hot Deal on the Bing/Microsoft Rewards store. 20% off, so 4000 points for $5 instead of the normal 5000 points.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Walmart has the Breath of the Wild "starter" version for $45, seems like a pretty good deal. According to dekudeals, that's the lowest it's been, aside from like one day where you could apparently get it for 15 from Amazon?