As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    FiveThirtyEight also just put one out that looks interesting and actually based on social sciences.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/personality-quiz/

This was interesting, but anything based on self examination and self reporting is unfortunately open to massive issues or people just flat out lying.

Oh yeah, survey in general is pretty lossy, but I liked that one because it was at least based on something and free. 16 personalities has some nice descriptions for Myers Briggs.
    I could probably write a book on organizational measurement and behavioral stuff, but the tldr is to commit to open and honest discussion and change of workflows after one of these or it's a waste of time.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    C'est Moi:

Openness to experience 63 out of 100
    Agreeableness 46 out of 100
    Conscientiousness 58 out of 100
    Negative emotionality 50 out of 100
    Extraversion 38 out of 100

Seems about right, pretty middle of the road if a bit introverted.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    FiveThirtyEight also just put one out that looks interesting and actually based on social sciences.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/personality-quiz/

This was interesting, but anything based on self examination and self reporting is unfortunately open to massive issues or people just flat out lying.

Oh yeah, survey in general is pretty lossy, but I liked that one because it was at least based on something and free. 16 personalities has some nice descriptions for Myers Briggs.
    I could probably write a book on organizational measurement and behavioral stuff, but the tldr is to commit to open and honest discussion and change of workflows after one of these or it's a waste of time.

Self report is surprisingly reliable at times. The Myers-Briggs has specifically been run through the ringer 8 million times and shown to be very reliable. It is definitely accurately measuring something. It absolutely is not personality in any meaningful way as has been demonstrated in tons of studies. I find your assessment to be pretty much spot on. The results are kinda dumb in a vacuum for all of these tests in my personal and professional opinion. If they spark a conversation that helps people understand each others work habits better then that is super awesome and makes it all worthwhile.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Everything was middle of the board for me except two:

Openness to Experience: 100 out of 100
    Extraversion: 12 out of 100

Oh and I was also veering strongly towards depression because of course I would be.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Maybe the quiz is ok but the analysis is weird. One of the categories said that maybe it means i'm a conservative authoritarian... or not, because who can tell how individual people react to these aspects?

So you're saying that it doesn't actually show anything, cool thanks.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I still prefer the quiz I like to ask new hires.

Ozzy, Dio or Martin Sabbath?
    David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar or Cherone Van Halen?
    Halford or Owens Judas Priest?

There are wrong answers.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ozzy, roth, halford

that's easy

• TubeTube Registered User admin

There are wrong answers.

Dio
    Lee Roth
    I would rather die than listen to Judas Priest

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tube coming in with extremely cold takes.

There are wrong answers.

Uhhh...I know one of the names on this list. By which I mean I know at least one song done by them, not just that I recognize the name.

It's Ozzy. And Crazy Train.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I need to listen to more black sabbath.
    Hot for teacher seems really inappropriate now but damn if that video wasn't mastur teenager bait.
    Halford, but we could always do more office research.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The best Sabbath record is War Pigs

Honourable mentions to Black Sabbath and Into the Void

They made some really great stuff

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hot for teacher seems really inappropriate now but damn if that video wasn't mastur teenager bait.

It's also a Van Halen song, not Black Sabbath :P

• PeasPeas Registered User regular

There are wrong answers.

I have never heard of any of them except for Dio and also only in name

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    When I took it, it just told me I was a "Miranda."

Did you flip out and try to wreck the entire bar testing center?

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    @3clipse
    ...and Halford was not a member of Black Sabbath.

Royce was replying line by line, like the question was framed!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

It's also a Van Halen song, not Black Sabbath :P

Well, what's your favorite Black Sabbath song by David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone?
    It's "Tomorrow's Dream" with David Lee Roth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfEg9_ZdRuQ

euj90n71sojo.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Bonus round.

Whitesnake, Winger or L.A. Guns?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bonus round.

Kiss.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Bonus round.

Kiss.

Kakodaimonos was right, there are wrong answers.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    G&R.

Bonus round.

Uhh...

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I know two Whitesnake songs and I'm honestly a little bit shocked that neither Here I Go Again or Is This Love is their highest charting song in the US.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    We're halfway through season 3 of F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

God Ross you are the literal fucking worst.

NEW ORDERING:
    Chandler, Joey, Rachel
    Phoebe
    Monica
    Ross

e: this was supposed to be the love thread but whatever

Oghulk on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I know two Whitesnake songs and I'm honestly a little bit shocked that neither Here I Go Again or Is This Love is their highest charting song in the US.

Here I Go Again was their only #1 and Is This Love was their only #2. Are you looking at the Mainstream Rock charting instead of their Hot 100 charting?

Ketar wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »

Here I Go Again was their only #1 and Is This Love was their only #2. Are you looking at the Mainstream Rock charting instead of their Hot 100 charting?

... probably, yeah.

Alright, a little bit of life is right again.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the rules I have is whomever is doing high dollar picks the music {the other support plays his playlist which is basically that 90's serious acoustic genre} SO most of the time it's classic 70's and 80's rock with a random 2000's song
    But I learned that Nightranger and other bands had more than one hit from this.

Some of the grey area rules I don't care about you using ear plugs as long as you have it in one ear and don't ruin it for everyone. The same goes for phone use don't overuse it or get caught.

The Ugly because of how nasty Friday and how my manager low balled me I had to stay after. SO while getting chewed out I pointed out how he puts the D list people on the double trucks and the half shift. I was told to write up the people not pulling their weight. I said why that doesn't help the situation. G is basically a one trick pony. He can do Coffee and not much else. I only ended up with him because he was meh on overnights. I was asked who else or a break down of why I rank people S A B C D. I was told because we are getting the scanning drone next month next week or within two weeks later we are getting people from the day shift. I asked can I get T? You would have to fight C for him[ fine by me {C has pissed off various members of my crew off for stupid reasons}

But I am going to print all the TMATS for the week and show my manager why stacking the D list people on double trucks is bad sighting the last two weeks

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Openness to experience 75 out of 100
    Agreeableness 88 out of 100
    Conscientiousness 79 out of 100
    Negative emotionality 4 out of 100
    Extraversion 92 out of 100

Which feels pretty right for me, except for openness for experience it pinged me low on "intellectual curiosity" and it's like, lol you clearly don't know me quiz.

Edit: Reading more closely the conclusions it comes to from these results are dumb as shit though. It thinks I am a "highly religious, politically conservative, theater kid" Three strikes and you are out buddy.

Inquisitor on
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Bonus round.

Silence

vEaRQgH.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    @3clipse
    ...and Halford was not a member of Black Sabbath.

Royce was replying line by line, like the question was framed!

How dare you suggest that I didn't pay attention to something and just posted quickly. Slander! Libel!

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Openness to experience 79 out of 100
    Agreeableness 63 out of 100
    Conscientiousness 67 out of 100
    Negative emotionality 21 out of 100
    Extraversion 75 out of 100

OrokosPA.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I am missing an entire extraversion triangle.
    Also my openess triangle says I have no idea what you guys are talking about with regards to music.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Van Halen III is, like, very, very 90s.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    We're halfway through season 3 of F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

God Ross you are the literal fucking worst.

NEW ORDERING:
    Chandler, Joey, Rachel
    Phoebe
    Monica
    Ross

e: this was supposed to be the love thread but whatever

Ah yes, the "this isn't [chat]!" of SE++

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow is a US Federal Holiday so I should be off. Instead work is having a big party thing. Its kind of cool, but if you don't want to go you have to use PTO or just not get paid. Its only 5 hours and you get paid for 8 if you do go. They also give out bonus checks (I don't get one because I started 2.5 weeks after the cut off), and they feed us and theres games and cash prizes, but man I could be at home in bed.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Van Halen III is, like, very, very 90s.

is bad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwsficnHmhM

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Tomorrow is a US Federal Holiday so I should be off. Instead work is having a big party thing. Its kind of cool, but if you don't want to go you have to use PTO or just not get paid. Its only 5 hours and you get paid for 8 if you do go. They also give out bonus checks (I don't get one because I started 2.5 weeks after the cut off), and they feed us and theres games and cash prizes, but man I could be at home in bed.

That’s dumb

poo
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Forcing you to come to work on a holiday? I believe they're...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU

Children's rights are human rights.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Has anyone tried using Cliftonstengths/Strengthsfinder? Got recommended it by some other people I work with. But is seems a lot like Meyers Briggs and other personality tests and those have come under some scrutiny lately as to their efficacy

We did it at work recently. I found it more useful than Myers-Briggs or True Colors, which are the other personality tests I've taken. It seems geared specifically toward how you approach work, rather than trying to capture your personality in all facets of your life, which makes it read a lot less like a horoscope. It's harder to read someone else's strength that you scored low on and think "yeah, I could see that in me." If other people at work are recommending it to you, it can be a valuable shorthand for quickly communicating how various members of a team are likely to tackle the topic at hand, and who might be best suited for various tasks.

Yeah, BBY HQ used to be super all about StrengthsFinder a few years ago. Some departments really took it to heart, though the department I started with basically said “take this quiz and put your results in your email signature. The end.”

The most recent thing that has been going around here has been Enneagram; a 9-pointed Star where certain points link to others. Where Strengths Finder felt more “here’s what you are” Enneagram feels more “here’s what you actually are, and here’s what people think you are.”

But to highlight a point in Jedoc’s post: sharing with coworkers and actually thinking about how to use their strengths is a big part that can easily get skipped, to everybody’s detriment. People can tend to focus on the personality test, and not enough thought is put into the “Send the Woo to meet the new client” part.

That wasn't just at BBY HQ. My wife did it while in store years ago and I think she was working mobile, then again in a leadership acceleration program. I did it just for fun after the company dropped it, I think I still have my results in my signature on the geek squad forums.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.