As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alita: Battle Angel - Word on the street is that it doesn't suck

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Saw it last night, and knowing nothing about the manga/anime/both it was based on I think it felt overstuffed. Like it was trying to fit in a lot more events that were from the source material than the movie could easily accommodate while still maintaining a solid central story. Plus the last quarter or so of the movie felt rushed with a lot of missing stuff that probably got cut due to time constraints.
    Basically things become jumbled when she's off to rescue her boyfriend. Jennifer Connelly shows up somehow, switches teams out of nowhere, the boyfriend runs up the tube suddenly, kill the local boss, then big arena scene with a hero pose. Up until then, the movie had been cruising along pretty nicely, but suddenly it seemed like they noticed the runtime and just slapped stuff together to bring things to a cliffhanger.

It wasn't a bad movie, acting was solid, the dialogue didn't suck, and the action scenes were very well done. It just didn't seem like a good movie.

Also, the magic disappearing sandwich bothered the hell out of me.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Saw it last night, and knowing nothing about the manga/anime/both it was based on I think it felt overstuffed. Like it was trying to fit in a lot more events that were from the source material than the movie could easily accommodate while still maintaining a solid central story. Plus the last quarter or so of the movie felt rushed with a lot of missing stuff that probably got cut due to time constraints.
    Basically things become jumbled when she's off to rescue her boyfriend. Jennifer Connelly shows up somehow, switches teams out of nowhere, the boyfriend runs up the tube suddenly, kill the local boss, then big arena scene with a hero pose. Up until then, the movie had been cruising along pretty nicely, but suddenly it seemed like they noticed the runtime and just slapped stuff together to bring things to a cliffhanger.

It wasn't a bad movie, acting was solid, the dialogue didn't suck, and the action scenes were very well done. It just didn't seem like a good movie.

Also, the magic disappearing sandwich bothered the hell out of me.

My friend and I thought it disappeared as well, but then you can see in the next shot she just put it on the ground :P

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Holy shit, that movie was Warframe as fuck.
    Complete with swapping out the old version for Alita Prime.

Also because it feels like I'm gonna be waiting a long-ass time for the next chunk of the plot.

EDIT: To be clear, I know the material predates Warframe. I'm just not a big anime guy and I have been playing a lot of Warframe of late.

Diplominator on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I’m in the theater now watching this except not yet because it didn’t start yet but soon once the movie starts I will be in the theater watching this except not yet because

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, three of the weirdest things that are in the original manga:
    A cyborg that can teleport into different dimensions, including a person's own imagination.
    A giant nanomachine mutant from Mercury whose primary weapon is it's own colossal, Geiger-esque robot dong, the plasma-energy ejaculating 'Libido Cannon'.
    Vampires and werewolves. Straight up. Vampires and werewolves.

Odds are low any of these will ever feature in a future film. But one can hope.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I liked it a lot. I loved the ending.

Also the girls next to me could not stop pointing out that the girl from To All The Boys I Loved Before was in it.

Also also Mahershala Ali is amazing. And so was Christophe Waltz. I wish Jennifer Connelly’s character was bigger.

Also, spoiler:
    I love Ed Norton as an actor but I really didn’t know what to think and thought it was kind of hilarious seeing him in a completely non-speaking role (sort of - was that even his voice through the other dudes?)

It felt kind of self-deprecating.

I want to read more about his casting.

Honestly I thought it was Brent Spiner at first.

Also I loved that Jeff Fahey was in it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Re: The Big Bad
    I thought it was Spiner too! The reason why Norton didn't have speaking lines is because then they would have to credit him per SAG labor laws and that would of gave it away. Its how they kept his appearance secret. They did he same thing with Matt Damon in Deadpool 2. It's a cute trick, but I'm not sure how SAG feels about it. I'm pretty sure Norton was payed more then an extra though.

Cool trivia, the opening credits of the Deadpool movies also get around SAG credit restrictions too. Once a name is named, it's credits, and you have to credit everyone. That's why when you see Reynolds as "The sexiest man alive", they fold over his name. Also Liefeld's name is on a cup, but he's not in the movie.

I have many thoughts on the movie. I'll gush about it later. In short, I loved it as a hardcore Gunnm fan, and ate every second of it up. That might be the movie's fatal flaw though. Remember when the Xbox One was revealed at E3 and it was clear it was obviously made as a dream machine for publishers? Microsoft found out in a very painful way that Activision doesn't buy very many game consoles, and they accidentally targeted the wrong market.

At the same time, spending 200 Million to make a movie for a bunch of manga fans is going to find a smaller demographic then you think.

halkun on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Just saw this. I enjoyed it!
    The way it’s shot, acted, framed. They just made an anime. Like I think very deliberately.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Even with the weird eyes, Alita comes of as fairly human.

I've read all the manga, and saw the OVA in about 96, when it was mind blowing.
    I enjoyed it, though I wouldn't recommend it to someone who didn't already like at least fairly similar material.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I just came back from seeing Alita with my cousin. Neither of us knew anything about it other than the name, and my cousin honestly only agreed to see it because I wanted to. We both enjoyed it a lot, though!

There was a pretty big audience in our showing, for what it's worth, but this theater is also in a college town.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just got back from seeing this. Was quite entertained.
    I have vague recollections of the anime, but that was back in middle school, maybe high school, so outside of the very general setting I went in pretty blank.
    Pretty empty theater, I saw it in the IMAX 3D, which at my normal theater is one of their largest capacity screens, it was less than a quarter full though.

I did have to cut out during the credits, did I miss any mid/post credit scenes?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    No post credit scenes

halkun on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Just got back from seeing it too!

Hmmm, well I have thoughts and guess I'll just jump into spoilers but overall - Enjoyable, but not great.
    First off, I think the movie would have been waaay better without Hugo as a love interest. He just bogged it down. It didn't feel realistic or necessary. That time could have been spent with Alita discovering herself and the world around her rather than discovering boys. Boys are boring. We've seen it before. I'm not sure why every blockbuster hollywood sci fi flick requires a love interest, but it seems to be mandatory for every single of them.

Next, the acting from rose salazar - super good! Loved her.

The CG - SOOOOOO GOOD. I think that might be the best human (ish) CG character ever made.

Overall plot - A little forced. It felt like we were being pushed from one plot point to another. "hey wanna see a cool spaceship?" is a good example. Murderball was also not exactly necessary. I think if they hadn't spent so much time on Hugo, they could have had a natural plot progression.

Lastly, fails the bechdel test unless you count Alita saying "what's your problem" when the doctor's ex wife grabs her arm.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Just got out of it and while the script had some significant issues... Yeah that was really fun. Can't go too far wrong with badass sci-fi action in an interesting world.

This is also one of the rare movies I really feel should be seen in 3D.

Edit: Also the bounty Hunter with the cyborg dogs deserves his own movie.

Road Block on
  • Options
    NotYou wrote: »

Hmmm, well I have thoughts and guess I'll just jump into spoilers but overall - Enjoyable, but not great.
    First off, I think the movie would have been waaay better without Hugo as a love interest. He just bogged it down. It didn't feel realistic or necessary. That time could have been spent with Alita discovering herself and the world around her rather than discovering boys. Boys are boring. We've seen it before. I'm not sure why every blockbuster hollywood sci fi flick requires a love interest, but it seems to be mandatory for every single of them.

The CG - SOOOOOO GOOD. I think that might be the best human (ish) CG character ever made.

Overall plot - A little forced. It felt like we were being pushed from one plot point to another. "hey wanna see a cool spaceship?" is a good example. Murderball was also not exactly necessary. I think if they hadn't spent so much time on Hugo, they could have had a natural plot progression.

Lastly, fails the bechdel test unless you count Alita saying "what's your problem" when the doctor's ex wife grabs her arm.
    The Hugo subplot could have been better if she didn't basically fall instantly, i am going to rip my heart out for you, in love with the first boy that spoke to her.

It comes off fairly bad.

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Just got out of it and while the script had some significant issues... Yeah that was really fun. Can't go too far wrong with badass sci-fi action in an interesting world.

This is also one of the rare movies I really feel should be seen in 3D.

Edit: Also the bounty Hunter with the cyborg dogs deserves his own movie.

That was just Future John Wick. He's effectively immortal after he murders Death in John Wick 5 for taking his dog.
    Don't want to spoil too much, but Wick really gets some mileage out of that pencil.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

The Hugo subplot could have been better if she didn't basically fall instantly, i am going to rip my heart out for you, in love with the first boy that spoke to her.

It comes off fairly bad.
    Yeah, I think that would have worked way better if it had been less of an emphasis.

I think overall the movie had too many things it was trying to fit into the runtime.

Honestly, if I could pick things to cut:
    1) That whole heart scene needed to go.
    2) That speech in the bar. Painfully corny. In character, but... oof, that needed more time in the oven. The trash talk after was great though.
    3) Nova (yes, yes... I know). You're not getting a sequel to this. Yes, he's an important character in the source material, but you don't have time to set him up and resolve him in this. Better to just leave him unnamed and unseen. Or only name him in the credits. I dunno... I feel like this is trying to set up a sequel too much.

As to a few other nitpicks...
    1) At the end, it looked like Alita wasn't using the berserker body anymore. Could have just been some extra stuff strapped on again I guess, but...
    2) They took out the big reveal about the people of Zalem. For a single shot of a brain in a jar. Just use her whole head there, intact.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm seeing Alita was the best performing film at the box office this weekend. This would be more significant if it weren't for the fact that apparently no movie performed particularly well this weekend, but Alita still beat out everything else.
    Forbes wrote:
    Alita: Battle Angel, directed by Robert Rodriguez and directed by James Cameron, topped the long Presidents Day weekend with a promising (coulda-been-worse) $41.7 million over the Thurs-Mon frame. I say “promising” not because the number is exceptionally impressive but because it pulled a 4.8x five-day multiplier from its $8.7m Thursday gross. It jumped 55% on Saturday for an $11.6m gross and (to the extent that you should trust user-opt-in online polls) audiences seem to dig it quite a bit.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I loved it! The corny parts were exceptionally corny, but I sorta dig that. Everything but
    the heart scene.

I do have one question, though:
    what, uh, happened to the lady who was turned into the brain-in-a-jar & assorted parts? Also, that's pretty heavy for a PG-13 flick.

Edit: Sorry, fucked up my spoilers. Hope I didn't get anybody.

Thor1590 on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    I loved it! The corny parts were exceptionally corny, but I sorta dig that. Everything but
    the heart scene.

what, uh, happened to the lady who was turned into the brain-in-a-jar & assorted parts? Also, that's pretty heavy for a PG-13 flick.

I don't understand when you're question is taking about.

Ido's ex-wife was cut up for parts by vector because she was no longer going to work for him. Not show, but explicitly stated, she will be shipped in a box, up to the city, for use in Doctor Nova's experiments.

I don't remember from the manga if she comes up again, because Nova is kinda a special character, and her brain isn't dead there.

redx on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, that movie was Warframe as fuck.
    Complete with swapping out the old version for Alita Prime.

Also because it feels like I'm gonna be waiting a long-ass time for the next chunk of the plot.

EDIT: To be clear, I know the material predates Warframe. I'm just not a big anime guy and I have been playing a lot of Warframe of late.

I felt summoned to this thread for some reason and this comment explains why. Guess I'm gonna make plans to see this soon :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    the heart scene.

To the second spoiler
    It seemed pretty straight forward. The only way anyone get's to Zolom(?) is in pieces to be experimented on by the mad scientist type who runs the place. She messed up her mission, and Nova's not the type to tolerate failure, especially when the person who failed has made it rather clear that she doesn't intend to rectify the failure.

I mean, presumably in a world where it's not that unusual to get full body cyborg transplants, getting de-meated and put in a box isn't quite the existential horror/irreversible death sentence it would be for a modern day person. Sure, not exactly pleasant, but I'd imagine the real horror would be later as the experimental subject of the day.

• Options
    the heart scene.

Ido's ex-wife was cut up for parts by vector because she was no longer going to work for him. Not show, but explicitly stated, she will be shipped in a box, up to the city, for use in Doctor Nova's experiments.

I don't remember from the manga if she comes up again, because Nova is kinda a special character, and her brain isn't dead there.
    She was pointed out to Alita, and Alita killed Vector. She just...left her there?

• Options
    the heart scene.

She was pointed out to Alita, and Alita killed Vector. She just...left her there?

Fair.

• Options
    the heart scene.

Ah, I understand now.
    Nova brain controls another stooge, elevates him to Vector's recently vacated position, and his box of parts gets sent up to him on the next shipment?

I mean, it's not spelled out for us, but I would assume Nova got his parts, one way or another. Especially after all the hard work of collecting and boxing them up was done.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    the heart scene.

I’m sure that Nova would be directing Vector’s successor to go upstairs to the office and take over about 2 minutes after Alita walked out.

Whoever that is surely walked the brain package over to the fedex dropbox

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »

It comes off fairly bad.
    Yeah, I think that would have worked way better if it had been less of an emphasis.

I think overall the movie had too many things it was trying to fit into the runtime.

Honestly, if I could pick things to cut:
    1) That whole heart scene needed to go.
    2) That speech in the bar. Painfully corny. In character, but... oof, that needed more time in the oven. The trash talk after was great though.
    3) Nova (yes, yes... I know). You're not getting a sequel to this. Yes, he's an important character in the source material, but you don't have time to set him up and resolve him in this. Better to just leave him unnamed and unseen. Or only name him in the credits. I dunno... I feel like this is trying to set up a sequel too much.

As to a few other nitpicks...
    1) At the end, it looked like Alita wasn't using the berserker body anymore. Could have just been some extra stuff strapped on again I guess, but...
    2) They took out the big reveal about the people of Zalem. For a single shot of a brain in a jar. Just use her whole head there, intact.

Movie/Maybe Sequel/Later Manga spoilers
    Any way that Chiren could have avoided the whole "Go in and get your brain swapped out for a Brain-on-a-Chip and your brain gets shipped off up the Ladder" thing?

EDIT: Alternately
    If they really need to retcon it, for some reason fake brain shell surrounding the brain-on-chip?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ah, yeah, I kinda forgot she had to leave in a hurry from that scene.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping a sequel gets greenlit, but couldn't Cameron fund this movie with his pocket money if he wanted?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm hoping a sequel gets greenlit, but couldn't Cameron fund this movie with his pocket money if he wanted?

His net worth is 700 million. This movie cost 200 million. That's a fairly significant amount of money for him. And he has a lot of pet projects.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I loved this, it was fun and the not-great-writing bits were mostly established tropes that I felt played as well as such tropes can be in 2019

If you felt murderball could've been cut from the movie then you and I did not have the same expectations going in

Scifi action that didn't make me roll my eyes was what I wanted and this delivered

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    I loved this, it was fun and the not-great-writing bits were mostly established tropes that I felt played as well as such tropes can be in 2019

If you felt murderball could've been cut from the movie then you and I did not have the same expectations going in

Scifi action that didn't make me roll my eyes was what I wanted and this delivered
    I think murderball was unnecessary because it didn't drive the plot. For example, if she'd actually needed to win in order to get to zelum, then it would make sense. But the only reason she did it was because she thought it was kinda cool and her boyfriend wanted to go zelum. She never personally cared. And in the end of the movie, the race never finished, so it's even more obvious it wasn't that important to the plot. It was a zero stakes battle. People were trying to murder her, but that had nothing to do with murderball itself.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I can agree with that, but watching murderball was one of the reasons I bought the ticket so I enjoyed what we got

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    I can agree with that, but watching murderball was one of the reasons I bought the ticket so I enjoyed what we got

yea the action was super fun!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    So the Japanese junket is going well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfJ8SWDV7Xw

Kizuna Ai is there because, well, of course she is.

== EDIT ==
    Here's something a little more in English.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezx2hMh9BkY

halkun on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I like that bit about him making films from popsicle sticks, because it really is true.

Waltz is amazing, put him in all the anime adaptations.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Saw it this afternoon, the script was a total mess but it really didn’t hamper my enjoyment of the film. I liked how willing it was to indulge in weird shit, the action was slick and gratifyingly impactful, alita didnt make me recoil in horror and actually emoted well (better than the love interest), and give me ten movies about the dog master

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Was anyone else's favorite part of the film
    FREAKING MOON BATTLE
    Second favorite
    FUCK YOUR MERCY

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    cj iwakura wrote: »

His net worth is 700 million. This movie cost 200 million. That's a fairly significant amount of money for him. And he has a lot of pet projects.

That and it's not like the studios would just say, "yeah no problem, use our assets so long as you pay your bills and take all/significant amounts of the profit". They can get their hands on 200 million easy if they think it's worth the effort. But their sets, staff, connections and so on are still ultimately finite and tying them up means they can't profit off of other projects. Realistically the only way Cameron self funds is if he either starts his own studio or flat out gives the studio the money. Both are rather unlikely.

Road Block on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I thought this was a good movie! Very engaging, it said "okay we're taking this silly world and romantic drama seriously you in?" and I was in! Good stuff. Visually amazing, emotionally it got me involved and gave me a stake, Alita was a great lead...

There were some silly bits but I forgive them immediately, weakest part was the male lead who felt very YA fiction movie romance interest. But the romance itself was good and believeable to me. It was a love story and I liked that.