As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread: Where the term "projection" is A-OK!

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    So my local Alamo decided The Boondock Saints is a Saint Patrick day movie and Life of Brain is an Easter movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean they're 100% right about the latter.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    One nice thing I ready about Bruno Ganz regarding that meme is that, had he not given such an incredible performance, it never would have become a meme in the first place.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Alita: though little more than 2 hours of cyborgs beating the crap out of each other, it was far and away superior to GitS if you're inclined to use that as a measuring stick (and I went into GitS with an open mind and higher expectations than it deserved. hey guys, when the most memorable things about your reboot are the things you swiped from the original, you dun fucked up)

I liked it. I'm over the ya fiction tropes, like having to win some game to gain access to the evil ruler. But everything around it was cool. All the cyborgs look rad. Alita is a very likeable protagonist. She's a raw nerve, but she's not sad Katniss. Just has her feels tuned to 11. And she fights like Spider-man, which makes her cool. The world is a bit too clean, but the world building had me interested. It's a shame that nobody seems to want this, because the sequel hook caught me and I really don't want to start watching anime to find out what's next.

It made a decent take in the overseas market and pulled 15 mil in the domestic for Friday, so I think it may end up doing better than we're thinking here.

There was a pretty big audience in our showing, for what it's worth, but this theater is also in a college town.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Downfall is such a great movie and I don't feel bad recommending it to anyone even though it is kind of awkward to do so. "It has a really great Hitler performance and kind of humanizes him but ah like, not in a good way and he's still a monster and huuuhhhbuuuhhh" *tugs at collar profusely*.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Deadpool 2: Still great.

Domino: Still the best character (other than Yukio)

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »
    House of Games is such a great movie. Surprised it wasn't already in the collection.

It was!

On DVD, which I probably still have? If so, it's in a box in a closet. First Blu release. It's been aWHILE since I watched it, I wonder if it holds up.

I always kinda liked The Spanish Prisoner a little bit more for his twisty ones.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Downfall (a great movie) says that Hitler was an unbelievably, astoundingly awful person and also a human being, which an important message. He wasn't an alien. He was a human, he was one of us. His evil is a human evil, and it is in human hearts.

A sobering but necessary thought

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It also produced all the great edits. Clearly a fine piece of film.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Downfall (a great movie) says that Hitler was an unbelievably, astoundingly awful person and also a human being, which an important message. He wasn't an alien. He was a human, he was one of us. His evil is a human evil, and it is in human hearts.

A sobering but necessary thought

This is a very good description. It humanizes without making it symphathetic.

I probably wouldn't want to rewatch downfall due to one of the later scenes being incredibly horrifying, but watching it once is well worth it.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Also if for some reason a viewer warmed up to him they have the lady tell you that he killed the last secretary before her at the end.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Watched Velvet Buzzsaw last night. Weird flick, I dunno if it's good? But the premise is interesting enough and Jake Gyllenhaal plays a good part well. Pretty meh on it though. Bad ending to an interesting idea, really bad pacing and editing too.

• Options
    Watched Alita, liked it, good fun movie that emotionally engaged me despite being really quite silly

Also they made Alita herself really likeable and fun and that was cool. Rosa Salazar and the CGI team who worked on her expressions etc did an awesome job

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Saw Sorry to Bother you. That was something. It kind of took a bit to start but it was wild when it got going. I think the comparisons to White KKKlansman are pretty apt. Aside from the ending of Klansman, its messages are pretty stale. Even with the blatant obvious imagery like the crucifix painkiller thing Terry Crews had Sorry never felt too up its own ass.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Saw Sorry to Bother you. That was something. It kind of took a bit to start but it was wild when it got going. I think the comparisons to White KKKlansman are pretty apt. Aside from the ending of Klansman, its messages are pretty stale. Even with the blatant obvious imagery like the crucifix painkiller thing Terry Crews had Sorry never felt too up its own ass.

Fun fact about that crucifix prop: It was supposed to be a necklace that Crews' character wore, but whoever made the prop made it WAY too big, and the shooting schedule was such that Boots was like "okay fuck it, just have it sitting on the car."

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

Fun fact about that crucifix prop: It was supposed to be a necklace that Crews' character wore, but whoever made the prop made it WAY too big, and the shooting schedule was such that Boots was like "okay fuck it, just have it sitting on the car."

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Happy Death Day (the first one) is a fun movie, but I’m not sure I like its perspective on men and women. It’s a movie where men have no agency and women are almost universally terrible, judgmental enforcers of the patriarchy. There are some bad men in the movie but they’re all manipulated, used, or ignored by women—who are the only ones in the film slut-shaming, fat-shaming, etc. It’s clearly intentional (consciously or not) and kinda disturbing.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Mega Time Squad is a movie made by the guy who did the FX work for classy Deathgasm movie, and is a nice, charming low budget Kiwi movie about time travel and shit? Just pretend when I type this I'm actually raising my voice like I'm sort of confused about what I'm writing this instant, like what seems to be the norm in New Zealand apparently? But it's actually a good movie that covers its faults with a 80 minute runtime and doing simple, clean videowork and effects that don't take away from core story. You follow a low life wannabe gangster as he's tasked by Deacon from What We Do In the Shadows to steal some chinese mob money and then steals an ancient bracelet that lets him go back in time. Of course, he screws up and runs into himself but it's ok because this is not Time Cop rules. Hijinks and a bit of nihilism ensue, but maybe that's the normal Kiwi lifestyle.

It's not a laugh out loud comedy but it shines when you have the lead character starting to deal with himself over and over, and it's edited in a nice way where I think the technology is so standard now you don't have scenes look out of place with that mirror technique and then quick cuts make up for when body doubles just won't do. It feels like the dude thought it through in camera setup. It does seem to just have the characters be very nonchalant about things that involve life and death, and there's a feeling when people get killed everyone just acts like the cops or no one will notice, but the bumbling feeling gives it some charm. Plus it has a very nice retro wave soundtrack and being 80 minutes lets you forgive its flaws. The only real fault is there's some poor Edgar Wright quick cut action setup scenes like in Shaun or Hot Fuzz that are kind of half assed (intentional or not they seem bleh), a poor flashback to what is supposed to be ancient China but it's just some place where there's bamboo and one chinese style backyard in the neighborhood, and Rhys Darby isn't in the film which seems against NZ trade agreements.

All in all though a nice classy rental to make you smile but not chuckle, but if you haven't watch Deathgasm first it's far superior.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Happy Death Day (the first one) is a fun movie, but I’m not sure I like its perspective on men and women. It’s a movie where men have no agency and women are almost universally terrible, judgmental enforcers of the patriarchy. There are some bad men in the movie but they’re all manipulated, used, or ignored by women—who are the only ones in the film slut-shaming, fat-shaming, etc. It’s clearly intentional (consciously or not) and kinda disturbing.

It can't be intentional without being a conscious choice. I haven't seen it since the theater, but I seem to recall
    that Tree surrounds herself with those kind of women. She lives in the shallows because going deeper exposes her to the trauma and guilt of her mother's death. She sheds those toxic people as she sheds those impulses in herself over the course of the loop.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's perspective on men and women are there are good and bad of both. The worse in the movie being the men as it happens.

• Options
    Boy, I was not expecting to enjoy Alita: Battle Angel as much as I did, and I was probably more hyped for it than most.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Mega Time Squad is a movie made by the guy who did the FX work for classy Deathgasm movie, and is a nice, charming low budget Kiwi movie about time travel and shit? Just pretend when I type this I'm actually raising my voice like I'm sort of confused about what I'm writing this instant, like what seems to be the norm in New Zealand apparently? But it's actually a good movie that covers its faults with a 80 minute runtime and doing simple, clean videowork and effects that don't take away from core story. You follow a low life wannabe gangster as he's tasked by Deacon from What We Do In the Shadows to steal some chinese mob money and then steals an ancient bracelet that lets him go back in time. Of course, he screws up and runs into himself but it's ok because this is not Time Cop rules. Hijinks and a bit of nihilism ensue, but maybe that's the normal Kiwi lifestyle.

It's not a laugh out loud comedy but it shines when you have the lead character starting to deal with himself over and over, and it's edited in a nice way where I think the technology is so standard now you don't have scenes look out of place with that mirror technique and then quick cuts make up for when body doubles just won't do. It feels like the dude thought it through in camera setup. It does seem to just have the characters be very nonchalant about things that involve life and death, and there's a feeling when people get killed everyone just acts like the cops or no one will notice, but the bumbling feeling gives it some charm. Plus it has a very nice retro wave soundtrack and being 80 minutes lets you forgive its flaws. The only real fault is there's some poor Edgar Wright quick cut action setup scenes like in Shaun or Hot Fuzz that are kind of half assed (intentional or not they seem bleh), a poor flashback to what is supposed to be ancient China but it's just some place where there's bamboo and one chinese style backyard in the neighborhood, and Rhys Darby isn't in the film which seems against NZ trade agreements.

All in all though a nice classy rental to make you smile but not chuckle, but if you haven't watch Deathgasm first it's far superior.

I really like Deathgasm, a whole lot of fun

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Is there a reason why they went with Alita: Battle Angel instead of Battle Angel Alita? because the latter sounds much nicer to me

It's for sequels, isn't it

Alita: The Next One

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's also a handy way to differentiate between them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Is there a reason why they went with Alita: Battle Angel instead of Battle Angel Alita? because the latter sounds much nicer to me

Two reasons:
    1) If you say "Battle Angel Alita" it can possibly sound like "Battle Age Lolita"
    2) James Cameron only releases films that begin with an A or a T

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Hrm, the match checks out on that one

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Two reasons:
    1) If you say "Battle Angel Alita" it can possibly sound like "Battle Age Lolita"
    I think you are forgetting the cinematic masterpiece Piranha II: The Spawning

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The T in The counts.

sig.gif
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »

Two reasons:
    I think you are forgetting the cinematic masterpiece Piranha II: The Spawning

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The fact that there’s a James Cameron/Robert Rodriguez anime movie means the CIA can read my thoughts and is trying to hate me to death

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Oh jeez

Variety says Alita has to do between $350-500 mil global to break even

How did this get greenlit

Atomika on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I onlyjust learned about this little fact:

Bruno Ganz was the latest holder of the Iffland-Ring.
    The holder of the Iffland-Ring is considered to be the "most significant and most worthy actor of the German-speaking theatre", in the opinion of the previous holder who has passed it to him by will.

It is not yet know who it goes to next.

honovere on
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Oh jeez

It's made $170 million opening weekend so... it's not impossible?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Oh jeez

I blame Michael Bay's Transformers movies. Their global success tricked studios into thinking anime has broad appeal.

• Options
    I honestly think that Alita will do big numbers in China and Japan

Also betting against the success of Jim Cameron at the box office has historically been a fool's play

• Options
    Also I hope it makes money and they do a sequel, that'd be cool

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Oh jeez

I blame Michael Bay's Transformers movies. Their global success tricked studios into thinking anime has broad appeal.

It’s like GITS never happened!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Pacific Rim is still the most anime thing Hollywood has ever made and probably ever will make.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Pacific Rim is still the most anime thing Hollywood has ever made and probably ever will make.
    Speed Racer

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Also I hope it makes money and they do a sequel, that'd be cool

It’s Cameron. They’ll do 6.

This discussion has been closed.