As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

1151617181921»

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    There's going to be another account wipe before they do a full release so don't really worry about what to buy. Just accumulate shit you want to play and experiment with for now, since it'll go away at some uncertain point in the future.

By account wipe, do you mean they are going to wipe out any cards that I may have bought, or just my account progress? I assume the latter, since the former would be a little crazy.

It wouldn't be that crazy. I'm sure there are still a lot of people who want in the beta and wont get in and it would be a nightmare for people getting into MTG Arena fresh or completely new and playing against other players who had months and months to build a big collection and have top tier decks available.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I also wouldn't be super shocked if they did the wipe right AFTER rotation, so that all the people who got wiped felt like they got a refund on cards no longer in standard vs losing a bunch of stuff to regain.

It's also nice for people like me returning to magic knowing we can just make our wild cards whatever and any big blunders there will get washed away later.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    My friend brought over some MTG Commander decks today, which I played for the first time. Super fun game for a group!

Then we ate way too many oreos and now I have a stomach ache! That part is less fun!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Any commander folks have thoughts on the 2018 red/blue deck? I saw it in target for $25 and that seemed pretty reasonable so I might go grab it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    As someone who kinda only loosely follows magic for the high level industry stuff, the drama with Gerry t and worlds is interesting. There's a lot of negative press across a lot of places claiming the sky is falling and that no local store will carry magic anymore and there won't be any events and this and that

All I can think is, have any of these people been to a gaming store? It is virtually impossible to find local groups to play anything but magic and that has been the case for decades. As I said I'm out of touch so am I missing something?

I've always felt it would take about 5 years of consistent major missteps for magic to crumble under it's own weight. Nothing outside, barring legislation making the game illegal, would do it. The inertia is just too much. While a little exaggerated I think the Goliath that is magic is kinda resilient. Is that not the case, or is this just more chicken little sort of stuff from the internet?

WingedWeasel on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Honestly even if Standard curls up and dies they can still probably coast along for a good while releasing casual product like Commander, Conspiracy, and Battlebond.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I just find it unlikely because the game survived worse scenarios when there were less people playing. If they lost a big portion of the player base they still would dwarf every other game

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    OK, what all happened and where do I go to find out more? Clearly I have missed some Internet Drama.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    OK, what all happened and where do I go to find out more? Clearly I have missed some Internet Drama.

One of the pros invited to Worlds announced he wasn't going at the last minute shorting the roster in a very public way. He had planned this for months and is doing it to protest the fact that Magic 'pro' are treated as the world's shittiest contract workers. (That is a massive overstatement on my part and not meant literally.) Pros don't have a baseline salary or even usually get comped travel expenses but are expected to be brand ambassadors for Wizards.

They have a bit of a point but the counter point is that system works for poker and a bunch of other tournament style things. Of course, poker isn't an IP owned by a single company raking in bundles of cash.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I saw it initially referenced on Twitter, but this appears to be the "official statement"

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/9hqyav/im_gerry_thompson_a_professional_magic_player_and/

WotC had a very generic response a few hours later and shifted pods for some of the players but I am not aware of anything else

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Played a 4 way commander game last night, me running the vampire precon and 3 others running decks from the 2018 precon list.

I forget which deck it was, a blue/green/white with some enchantment and untap synergies. About halfway through the game he’s make 4 5/5s with trample every turn. The other deck is the green ramp precon, and both of them have tons of mana and start generating gigantic creatures every turn.

Meanwhile 3 sweepers get played in the early mid game before I can really build a board of tokens, and then my follow up draws were just not great.

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Any commander folks have thoughts on the 2018 red/blue deck? I saw it in target for $25 and that seemed pretty reasonable so I might go grab it.

It's okay? Brudiclad is a pretty fun "build around me" commander but the deck out of the box doesn't support him that well.

To be honest, the C18 precons were all kind of underwhelming.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend me a good place to cash out a collection? I made a Craigslist ad for it, but if there's a better way I'd be interested. It's my old cards from the 90's with a couple hundred in boxes I bought recently.

Madpoet wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me a good place to cash out a collection? I made a Craigslist ad for it, but if there's a better way I'd be interested. It's my old cards from the 90's with a couple hundred in boxes I bought recently.

If you have a big convention nearby there.may be dealers. That's what I tend to do. Although naturally the buy prices are lower it saves me an inordinate amount of time trying to get pennies more. Plus whatever the chost of shipping s collection would be

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

If you have a big convention nearby there.may be dealers. That's what I tend to do. Although naturally the buy prices are lower it saves me an inordinate amount of time trying to get pennies more. Plus whatever the chost of shipping s collection would be

Note that a Grand Prix MagicFest usually counts as a big nearby convention and it's guaranteed that dealers will be there. I recommend contacting the dealer first to warn them in advance that you're looking to cash out; that way you'll know if they 1) even do that at this event and 2) have any preference as to how you should pack/sort things.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Thanks. I just missed Rose City Comic Con, I'm not sure what other con would work. Another friend just directed me to Card Kingdom. I'm guessing they'll be bottom dollar, but I'm not sure I care a whole ton. Is a dealer going to beat them by much? They don't want quite a few of what I thought were better cards, so I am still looking.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Thanks. I just missed Rose City Comic Con, I'm not sure what other con would work. Another friend just directed me to Card Kingdom. I'm guessing they'll be bottom dollar, but I'm not sure I care a whole ton. Is a dealer going to beat them by much? They don't want quite a few of what I thought were better cards, so I am still looking.

Can check with your FLGCs too. That's my usual for offloading crap.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to clear out a little clutter in my home, and realized that the hefty pile of spindown counters (ie: large quasi D20's) I have taking up space in my dice bag that could use new homes.

It has been ages since I posted in here, though I remember someone selling off their collection (and buying part of it off them) years back, so I thought I'd ask if it would be kosher to list 'em, and would anyone be interested?

Figured there might be a collector in here who would give some of them a good home. I'll also be checking local player groups, of course.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    I’m finally getting my commander deck into a good place. I’ve taken the vampire precon and lowered the mana curve a little bit and added more of the dual lands. The focus is more on life gain/steal, with a few cards that take life for the number of vampires you have on the field. And since markov makes a vampire token every time you play vampire.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to add a bit more card draw and maybe another board wipe in case I fall behind. It’s easy for me to refill my board.

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I’m finally getting my commander deck into a good place. I’ve taken the vampire precon and lowered the mana curve a little bit and added more of the dual lands. The focus is more on life gain/steal, with a few cards that take life for the number of vampires you have on the field. And since markov makes a vampire token every time you play vampire.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to add a bit more card draw and maybe another board wipe in case I fall behind. It’s easy for me to refill my board.

The new Kaya's Wrath might fit http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=457331

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    Everybody in my gameshop plays commander but me. :?

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

So I’ve gotten way into commander in the past several months, vampires are pretty tuned and performing well, I just need more card draw. The game is full of big swings and politics and it’s a blast for me and my friends.

I’ve since purchased two other precons though Im taking the upgrades much more slowly so I can watch the wallet. But the neat thing is that our group has decided to build budget decks of $35 max to get everyone on the same level in terms of skill and deck quality. All of our group has played magic to some degree, one is like a historian and has tons of knowledge, I have been digging into commander pretty hard the past year but my knowledge is much more limited to the sets from the past 5ish years. The two other guys haven’t played as much in a while, but they are enjoying the format and at least one is really excited to build his budget deck.

Ive decided to go with the new Niv-Mizzet Reborn for my budget commander, which is a five color deck so I guess I hate myself.