As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I would laugh incredibly hard if (DLC)
    The DLC just focused on the epilogue and wrapped that whole thing up quickly instead of having it be for KH4.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    I would laugh incredibly hard if (DLC)
    The DLC just focused on the epilogue and wrapped that whole thing up quickly instead of having it be for KH4.
    Epilogue/secret movie
    Same. But the epilogue definitely feels like the setup for A LOT of plot.
    The secret movie stuff I could see being something they wrap up fairly quick. If not the DLC I bet in a Twilight Town-esque intro for the next game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I started playing this

It’s really good

The gummi ship is still bad and I don’t like shotlocking, but everything else is cool

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Now that KH3 is done its such a weird feeling...

I liked the game and it was fun but now I'm just waiting for KH4.

Maybe KH3 really was the friends we made along the way.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I started playing this

It’s really good

The gummi ship is still bad and I don’t like shotlocking, but everything else is cool

Shotlocking I mainly used for boss fights. Like "eh... you have too many health bars. Have less now, please." There's also a drain one you can lose later which is super nice if your MP is still charging from a Cure use.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    i just got to the pirates world and
    the meta joke in the intro about it sucking in kingdom hearts ii had me howling with laughter

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    All Disney worlds done.

All Gummi ship stuff done.(Every battle and boss finished with A rank, all blueprints collected, all missions done besides the last one for going to the final world) This was all actually a whole lot of fun.

So now I will give my personal ranking of the Disney worlds.
    Best tier (Great world to explore, used the story in fun ways): Big Hero 6, Toy Story

Great Tier (Maybe lacking in one part or the other usually some story stuff): Frozen, Pirates, Hercules, Tangled

Okayish tier: Monsters (the level design was really boring especially compared to all the others. It never changed but every other world had some level of variety. Some fun story bits mixed in)

Hmmm tier: 100 Acre Woods (absolutely beautiful but really lacking. You go in, play 3 mini games and then nothing else is ever added so you never go back. In the past more mini games were added so you kept revisiting. But they cut that out entirely and it felt way too small and shallow)

Overall I felt there were more memorable parts and the worlds felt way better than ever before. The plan to have less worlds but have each one be better than in the past definitely worked out.

edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    I started playing this

It’s really good

Shotlocking I mainly used for boss fights. Like "eh... you have too many health bars. Have less now, please." There's also a drain one you can lose later which is super nice if your MP is still charging from a Cure use.

Shotlock feels incredibly weak so far, just as it did in BBS

I used it on one of the Titans and it basically did the equivalent of hitting them twice with my keyblade, and that was fully maxed out

UnbreakableVow on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Man, I used Shotlocks all the dang time in BBS.

But then again, that game had abilities that let you regain Focus each time you took damage.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I started playing this

It’s really good

I used it on one of the Titans and it basically did the equivalent of hitting them twice with my keyblade, and that was fully maxed out

Mighta just been something weird there. A full lock on most of the bosses I've used it on is like a full bar and half of health gone at least.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    A lot of Shotlocks were super powerful in BBS

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    i just finished BBS for the first time. shotlocks seemed kinda shitty at the start, then got to be amazing in the midgame, then slowly got worse again as the really good commands started popping up

though i also never managed to craft a fancypants endgame shotlock so i'm sure that's part of the problem

Sanctuary
    I started playing this

It’s really good

Mighta just been something weird there. A full lock on most of the bosses I've used it on is like a full bar and half of health gone at least.

This is like when people told me Urbosa’s Fury is good, something I’ve still seen zero proof of in my game

Sanctuary
    I started playing this

It’s really good

This is like when people told me Urbosa’s Fury is good, something I’ve still seen zero proof of in my game

I mean, you can just watch videos of that and see it though. We live in the magic age of youtube where you can look up anything and see the proof/how to do things with very little effort.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    if nothing else they make you invincible for a long stretch of time, give you a chance to let your abilities cool down

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I have stolen this from someone on Reddit who is very astute

But they have realized the most important arc of Kingdom Hearts

chm42q10pbh21.png
    it's actually the story of Sora learning how to wear a belt

6F32U1X.png
    I started playing this

It’s really good

I... don't understand how you came to this conclusion. It just makes your spin attack real big and do a bunch of extra damage. There's no drawback.

Anyway, shotlocks in KH3 vary greatly in power by keyblade. The Kingdom Keys are not great. The Hercules keyblade's are ok, but the full lock is centered on Sora so it's possible to wiff it.

The Monsters Inc, Big Hero 6, and Toy Story ones are all really good though.

Ultima Weapon
    and UW's works differently than the rest and is the most powerful single hit AOE in the game by a wide margin

X22wmuF.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Mirage Staff might be the best shotlock keyblade

edited February 2019
    Sanctuary

It's also the best keyblade for any of the combat style Flan challenges. Since number of hits gets you crazy amounts of points you just make bunch of clones and then everything on screen gets hit 6 million times. It's quite funny.

DemonStacey on
    edited February 2019

But only the incomplete lock. Drain, baby! I love that Sora yells “Gimme!” when using it.

Hero’s Origin has a similar move.

Enlong on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Wow these last fights in KH1 are some absurd bullshit

I beat Czernobog but this fucking monster shitfest afterward fucking suuuuuucks

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »

But only the incomplete lock. Drain, baby! I love that Sora yells “Gimme!” when using it.

Hero’s Origin has a similar move.

Spectral Rays is VERY good for crowd control

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If I ever meet Nomura in real life I am shaking his hand and never letting go until I have recited the litany of ways he has wronged me in KH1

Simple & Clean
    Moriveth wrote: »

That fight fucking sucks

That fight fucking sucks

It keeps

Fucking

Going.

Every time I think i’m done the game’s like haha fuck you, no rest, you deserve no joy in your life

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Yeah it's such a bummer that the last bit of KH1 is bad

Fighting Czernobog fuckin rules!

Yeah it's such a bummer that the last bit of KH1 is bad

Fighting Czernobog fuckin rules!

Yeah, that was cool!

I kinda liked that last gauntlet.

I kinda miss having big proper final levels in this series. End of the World was cool (moreso after the ocean reflection room). The World that Never Was was neat, though pretty much a hallway due to KHII limitations (the version in DDD was better for exploring, I felt). But the Keyblade Graveyard (both times) pretty much just felt like a location for the final boss fight and little else. I liked having a level to actually look around and explore for goodies, back in KH1.

Alright, I got through that stupid part.

Now I'm fighting Ansem.

Fuck an Ansem. Or his second form, anyway.

Also thanks for dumping me in the final boss fight without telling me Donald and Goofy are jerking off and not fighting

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Simple & Clean

That fight fucking sucks

It keeps

Fucking

Going.

Every time I think i’m done the game’s like haha fuck you, no rest, you deserve no joy in your life

You do one battle per world, I'm honestly not sure what was bad about this at all? Pretty much every other KH game also does this exact thing too. It's like the end of a Mega Man game, but without the cruel requirement to beat every boss on 1.5 health bars. Or do you mean the battle right after the Final Rest checkpoint? That's actually the game being nice as it's probably the single best place to grind out levels and some rare mats. If you are underpowered or trying to do some of the rare synthesis stuff, that room is Godlike.

Warning for Ansem final battles: You don't get a pause for the 3 phases. It's normal Ansem with your team, much harder Ansem without your team, and then battleship Ansem where you have to free your team. On Proud, round 2 and the very start of round 3 were BY FAR the hardest part of the entire game. Make CERTAIN your items are full up with quality stuff and do NOT waste those uses, they have to go the full 3 rounds as is. Once you're back in your team formation for round 3, you've basically won.

shoeboxjeddy on
    The part I was referring to was immediately after Czernobog, where you have to wait for a fucking door to fall apart while fighting a massive amount of enemies.

The part after that seems manageable once I learn how to handle the shit Ansem throws out. Just, ugh.

All battlegates
    Boy that was underwhelming. They're definitely holding all the actual bonus boss fights for the DLC huh?

X22wmuF.jpg
    Sanctuary
    I think I've officially run out of side content to do.

Oh no. Don't let it ennnnddd.

I do have the Ultima Weapon now.
    This is the best looking Ultima Weapon they have done yet. The fact that it has the black and red color to match Sora's new outfit is so good. Def my favorite Keyblade model of them all. And the Final Form is hilariously awesome. So god damn rad.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    People playing around with save file data have found Critical Mode settings hidden in the game going unused and were able to force it to be active. Half HP/MP, take double damage, deal 1.5x damage.

edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    Viskod wrote: »
    People playing around with save file data have found Critical Mode settings hidden in the game going unused and were able to force it to be active. Half HP/MP, take double damage, deal 1.5x damage.

That would actually just make the game even easier honestly.

Would be nice without the damage boost but you already do so much damage and take so little that this would just feel like a buff to the player.

DemonStacey on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary

this is especially a big deal because RE2 is a huge game

I think there's probably gonna be more Kingdom Hearts

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    The best-selling game of the month being released on the 29th of that month is some crazy shit.

Sanctuary
    That is super awesome to hear!

Hopefully this sends the message to Square that they can still make games like this that don't rely on a "games as a service" model or piles of DLC.

That is super awesome to hear!

Hopefully this sends the message to Square that they can still make games like this that don't rely on a "games as a service" model or piles of DLC.

https://youtu.be/ON4sOlxvtbU

X22wmuF.jpg