As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Totally Accurate Battle Sim (EA) out today!

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    never die wrote: »
    So I have finally joined the playing Night in the Woods party. I really enjoyed it. The endgame
    Was a little surprising, the cult stuff was weird, and while interesting, seemed kind of disjointed.
    The supernatural elements were always there though. The very first thing that happens to you is meeting the old janitor who looks like the religious statue in the cemetery. He says he always rigs the vending machine when he's there after-hours but he doesn't fix it when he leaves. In fact he seemingly doesn't do anything other than vanish. Mae comments on how he seemingly disappeared in the short amount of time before she exits the bus station. Then of course there's Aunt Molly Mall Cop's warnings and the severed arm you find after your first hangout session with everybody.

I get the sense that the game is about Mae's inability to care about anything other than herself with her friends representing different aspects of life she should care about. Bea is very politically minded, Gregg is the most social member of the group and Angus is philosophical and intellectually curious. The three aren't segmented in their interests either, they intertwine quite a bit. This is where I think the turn in the game really works.
    The Black Goat isn't just an eldritch God or a shared hallucination had by a club of old conservative dads it's also an allegory for fascism. It promises that if you just blindly worship it and sacrifice the marginalized that it will protect the town from disaster, bring jobs back and restore Possum Springs to its former glory.

..and in the end Mae rejects its nihilistic ideas and actually learns how to give a shit. Then the game asks what you're taking away from it all.

"I mean, we have to go on right? Obviously the world is seriously screwed up but we're all gonna die if we don't keep living."
    "That's some bumper sticker shit right there."
    "Hey, I know what I'm talking about. We gotta make plans. We gotta change things. We gotta play a Goddamn song and get a Goddamn pizza."
    "Ok. So what are we playing?"

Credits.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I cannot believe that the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates has been hanging precisely at lazy grabbing level for the past 15 years with no takers. 4 out of 5 Pirates of the Caribbean movies have been released since then, to increasingly bewildering levels of financial success, without anyone else deciding to just make a game where you go around the Caribbean committing straight up piracy.

I feel like I'm living in some weird parallel universe here.

Sid Meier's Pirates: This time the other pirates use the Nemesis system!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So I have finally joined the playing Night in the Woods party. I really enjoyed it. The endgame
    Was a little surprising, the cult stuff was weird, and while interesting, seemed kind of disjointed.
    The supernatural elements were always there though. The very first thing that happens to you is meeting the old janitor who looks like the religious statue in the cemetery. He says he always rigs the vending machine when he's there after-hours but he doesn't fix it when he leaves. In fact he seemingly doesn't do anything other than vanish. Mae comments on how he seemingly disappeared in the short amount of time before she exits the bus station. Then of course there's Aunt Molly Mall Cop's warnings and the severed arm you find after your first hangout session with everybody.

I get the sense that the game is about Mae's inability to care about anything other than herself with her friends representing different aspects of life she should care about. Bea is very politically minded, Gregg is the most social member of the group and Angus is philosophical and intellectually curious. The three aren't segmented in their interests either, they intertwine quite a bit. This is where I think the turn in the game really works.
    The Black Goat isn't just an eldritch God or a shared hallucination had by a club of old conservative dads it's also an allegory for fascism. It promises that if you just blindly worship it and sacrifice the marginalized that it will protect the town from disaster, bring jobs back and restore Possum Springs to its former glory.

..and in the end Mae rejects its nihilistic ideas and actually learns how to give a shit. Then the game asks what you're taking away from it all.

"I mean, we have to go on right? Obviously the world is seriously screwed up but we're all gonna die if we don't keep living."
    "That's some bumper sticker shit right there."
    "Hey, I know what I'm talking about. We gotta make plans. We gotta change things. We gotta play a Goddamn song and get a Goddamn pizza."
    "Ok. So what are we playing?"

Credits.

That’s a pretty good analysis, thanks!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If I never played a Crackdown game before, might I enjoy Crackdown 3? Or will it just being a rehash of that original formula still bother me because I have played other open world mayhem games during that 12 year span?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Sunset overdrive might be a better bet if you wanted to open world it up

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

Forgot that came out on PC, because I was about to suggest grabbing the original Crackdown since it's still free, but you'd need and Xbox 360 or Xbox One to play it.

You CAN get a sub to Xbox Game Pass and play crackdown 3 with it on the PC.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There is basically no difference between Crackdown 3 and 1

It’s kind of astonishing how the design hasn’t evolved even a little bit

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

Sunset Overdrive is the good bet if you want an amazing game, period. But I played it last year when it came out on PC finally. It's fucking incredible.

It is still on my replay list though. Maybe it'll be next if I ever get tired of My Time At Portia.

That's what i'm worried about though. Sunset Overdrive, Saints Row 4, etc. The standards for the genre are a lot higher than they were in 2007. Mainly because those games coming out then let people iterate on things and move forward, but that doesn't change that it happened.

Oh well. I'm not going to get it at full price regardless so i've got plenty of time to think about it.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    is there anything i gotta know especially about buying a new mouse for my pc? i want wireless, and preferably rechargeable, but there seems to be an awful lot of perfectly identical products out there and i'm very confused/overwhelmed.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    is there anything i gotta know especially about buying a new mouse for my pc? i want wireless, and preferably rechargeable, but there seems to be an awful lot of perfectly identical products out there and i'm very confused/overwhelmed.

what do you want to do with your mouse

fps, moba, mmo, watch cat videos?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    mostly browsing. i play a lot of rts games, tiny bit of fps stuff. hubby mostly plays warframe or dead by daylight.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I’m playing Metro Exodus and, man, I do not remember the voice direction and sound design being this bad in previous games.

Everyone feels like they’re constantly talking over each other, like the timing for every line has been offset by half a second. And it sounds like everything is playing through a sponge from the end of a hallway, regardless of the actual environment.

I've not played Exodus, so this is second-hand, but I hear Russian voice with English subtitles is the way to go.

Patrick Klepek used to always say to do that. Then after Waypoint did a 101 for the games the rest of the crew dunked on that advice as terrible because you lost a ton of the ambient dialogue that they thought was one of the stronger points.

That was my problem with Assassin's Creed: Unity. The English cast was both kind of horrible and, you know, speaking with English accents during the French Revolution. But there were so many unsubtitled incidental voice cues, including guard barks you need to understand to avoid combat, that playing it in French with English subtitles just made the game more frustrating.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm generally ok with English accents when you're representing a foreign language in English because it's all a huge handwave anyway. Preferable to Allo Allo style VO in my opinion, but I never played it. I have heard that the French dub is hilariously Quebecois accented.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm generally ok with English accents when you're representing a foreign language in English because it's all a huge handwave anyway. Preferable to Allo Allo style VO in my opinion, but I never played it. I have heard that the French dub is hilariously Quebecois accented.

That's true for the English accents, as well. Unity is a game full of North Americans putting on a bad European accent.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »
    There is basically no difference between Crackdown 3 and 1

It’s kind of astonishing how the design hasn’t evolved even a little bit

I'm playing it now and I don't really agree with this TBH
    Like yes the combat and traversal and character progression are basically the same, yeah. However, the actual structure of the game is different. In CD1 you hunted the city for the different bosses and lieutenants and such and just killed them. In this each target has a specific objective in the city you need to complete (i.e. take over 6 monorail stations, blow up 8 mining sites, etc.) which draws them out for an actual boss battle, with scripted mechanics and multiple phases. Killing all the underlings tells you where their boss is and also makes it easier to get to them, though you can go earlier if you know already. Also, so far, the tier 2 objectives (lieutenants? captains? I don't know the terminology) have all involved basically a full level before fighting them, like climbing a tower full of angry robots with multiple checkpoints. It's a more ""complex"" system that I dig, though it would be nice if it wasn't so repetitive, like all the monorail stations are the same.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Oh, here's the first gameplay of Harmonix's new game, Audica (game starts at about 4:20):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zivhW-ZfE4U

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's kinda like Beatsaber but with guns
    I could see some of the movements being too intensive for me though
    The repeated arm rotating will probably destroy my joints

Peas on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    If I never played a Crackdown game before, might I enjoy Crackdown 3? Or will it just being a rehash of that original formula still bother me because I have played other open world mayhem games during that 12 year span?

It's worth paying like $2 for game pass to give it a try

But it's incredibly archaic feeling, even outside of retreading a lot of the same Crackdown beats

I don't think it holds up even if you've never played Crackdown

• Options
    I am not sure how slow I am but apparently Paradox is teasing a new Vampire: The Masquerade game or something

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I am not sure how slow I am but apparently Paradox is teasing a new Vampire: The Masquerade game or something

It'll be great

Sometimes the head of the camarilla will be a horse that is also a baby

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

It's worth paying like $2 for game pass to give it a try

But it's incredibly archaic feeling, even outside of retreading a lot of the same Crackdown beats

I don't think it holds up even if you've never played Crackdown

Yeah... and i'd get to play State of Decay 2 as well.

I just kind of instinctively hate the idea of subscription services. I like having access to the games I get whenever I want it.

Even if in reality I would never touch it again outside of that one month period of time.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

It'll be great

That sounds kinda....adorable?

• Options
    What Remains Of Edith Finch is pretty disappointing so far. It has a lot of unique ways to tell a story but those stories aren’t very interesting.

• Options
    I’m kind of playing it in half hour chunks to avoid boredom and I feel like a two hour long game shouldn’t have that kind of problem, ideally.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

It'll be great

Do not misunderstand, this horse baby is also and ancient vampire that will absolutely murder you on a whim

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok, I think I’m just gonna have give up on Metro: Exodus. Sound issues aside, this game is buggy as all hell, crashes if I all but breathe on it, and feels tactilely worse to play than a Bethesda Fallout game.

I guess I get to find out how Epic handle their refunds now at least.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I found this game called Foxhole and I kind of want to grab it even though it is in EA.

It’s like the old top down isometric shooters I liked as a kid but a persistent war mmo.

• Options
    I finished What Remains Of Edith Finch and it was pretty underwhelming, but it does have some fun imagery in it. The story is just sort of... there.
    It's about a bunch of people who die, some of them tragically young and others in relatively normal ways. Most of the Young People deaths are due to wildly unrealistic parental neglect, but I guess maybe I'm supposed to feel bad for the parents? The game can't decide whether it wants to be a tragic and heartbreaking tale or morbid schlock about a man who guillotines himself. It was just kind of nothing, no real resonance for me and a mostly tedious gameplay experience.

The stinger that Edith Finch died in childbirth just felt kind of gross. I didn't feel like this game had anything to say.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I finished What Remains Of Edith Finch and it was pretty underwhelming, but it does have some fun imagery in it. The story is just sort of... there.
    It's about a bunch of people who die, some of them tragically young and others in relatively normal ways. Most of the Young People deaths are due to wildly unrealistic parental neglect, but I guess maybe I'm supposed to feel bad for the parents? The game can't decide whether it wants to be a tragic and heartbreaking tale or morbid schlock about a man who guillotines himself. It was just kind of nothing, no real resonance for me and a mostly tedious gameplay experience.

The stinger that Edith Finch died in childbirth just felt kind of gross. I didn't feel like this game had anything to say.

I kinda felt the same way as I played through the game. I picked it up because the game was surrounded by glowing reviews and I just never saw what those other folks did.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The point of What Remains of Edith Finch is to find a healthy compromise between Edith's mother's complete denial and avoidance of grief and mourning and Grandma Edie's morbid obsession with it.
    At first Dawn is presented as the villain for sealing all the rooms and hiding the family's past from Edith. Slowly over time the game reveals that the family's unhealthy almost schizophrenic and careless nature lead to her watching her father die in front of her, lead to her brothers deaths, lead to her burying all but one of her children. Well, technically two since they never found Milton. So she leaves with Edith and outruns the curse...for a while. You can't really ever outrun death but at least she died of an unspecified terminal illness instead of some ironic tragedy.

Meanwhile Edie's loving tributes turn out to be a warped obsession with this magical curse. She keeps a photo of her husband falling to his death next to an article where she embellishes it as him being killed by a dragon. In her bedroom. Where she would see it every day when she wakes up and every night before she falls asleep. Edie also keeps an article mocking her son's life as a mole man living under the house in the room. She doesn't encourage him to seek therapy to deal with hearing his sister's grisly murder she enables his life living in the bomb shelter. Speaking of the murder Edie either collaborated with the creators of that pulpy horror comic to give details about the house or maybe worse she read the comic and decided to start hiding a key to the basement in a music box afterward to match up with the story.

...and she needs to have that story to deal with all the tragedy, to deal with justify the neglect and impulsive nature that lead to her daughter Molly dying from food poisoning.

It's worth noting that Dawn's brothers all react to Barbara's death differently. Calvin swears never to be afraid again and it almost immediately leads to him swinging off a cliff. Walter lives in constant fear and seals himself away from the curse, from his family, from life itself. The only brother who lives a full and satisfying life is Sam.

Sam lost family members at a young age and went off to the army to ready himself for life's hardships. He came home he started a family and lost his infant son which lead to his divorce. When he remarried it lead to his other son's death. Through all of it though you can see he kept from succumbing to despair. His letters about his brother and his son are easily the most emotionally intelligent any of the Finchs are ever portrayed as.

He still dies. We're all going to die. But he dies trying to bond with his daughter after a long life making memories instead of obsessing over them.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

It'll be great

Do not misunderstand, this horse baby is also and ancient vampire that will absolutely murder you on a whim

It is a baby si the murdering on a whim part is just a matter of course.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Post-weekend Total Warhammer Action Report!

Kept flipping between three different games because so far all of the factions are good and different and I can't settle on a favorite.

Dwarfs: learned a lot about how this game plays in general with these guys. Enough to learn I need to start over with them cause hoo boy did I screw around for too long and allowed rival dwarf factions to seize too much of the nearby territory. Wars with the orks and goblins are ceaseless, but the waaagh! is no match for my stout, disciplined dawi.

Vampire Counts: lack of ranged units is initially off-putting, but then you have just So Many Skeletons. Unlike previous Total War games, Warhammer seems to have very clear upgrades to units, and I can't for certain say if using the weaker but cheaper units is ever preferable to the upgrades. Bats are great, then they become some kind of bat demon and are even better. Grave Guard are amazing. SKELETAL CAVALRY YES ABSOLUTELY. This game shines in a lot of ways, but I love the different animations and warcries and stuff. Skeletons all march as if they are marionettes. Zombies shuffle and stagger with different sorts of wounds. Ghostly wails in response to unit orders is great. VC being completely focused on melee is kind of great cause it's just hundreds and hundreds of the damned marching against whatever enemy you're pursuing. Ceaseless. Unyielding. Grand strategy is interesting here. Seems as if the game wanted to enable you to increase your vampiric influence over unoccupied territory, apparently giving you a way to annex new territory without sending your armies in, but that hasn't happened yet. Chaos absolutely destroyed me. Not sure what the play is here. They start very close to the home VC range, and moving south doesn't seem to make sense as you can't possess dwarf cities.

Wood Elves: I love ranged troops and this faction is almost totally about just that. Interesting mechanics regarding acquiring new territory. The limited infrastructure is intriguing even if I don't quite have a strategy tuned to it. Does seem to push you into aggressive expansion even more quickly than the other factions I've played. Tree people are weird and kinda-sort Chaotic? I know very little about the lore of this faction, or what their split from the High Elves was over. Their win condition being rejuvenating the world tree is pretty interesting. Never thought watching forests spreading through the land would be quite so sinister.

• Options
    Other Dwarf factions will eventually confederate with you, don’t worry about them. Dwarfs are super into teamwork.

• Options
    Strong allies are (usually) a good thing, especially given the confederation ease that Tube mentioned! Dawi make stout friends. A lot of times in my Dwarf games, I'll even kind of prop up neighbors who may have a rougher start like Karak Kadrin with favorable trade deals including long-term payments just so I have stronger allies in the mid-game, and additionally stronger armies to confederate later!

• Options
    Is confederation only limited to whichever race you are?

• Options
    Yes, and sometimes even then you can't confederate certain territories within your own race for whatever reason, though this is a trivial fix with mods. You have to have very good relations with them, of course, which is usually easy to manage just through the normal diplomacy! Especially when you start factoring in bonuses from having shared enemies and stuff. Often you'll have excellent relations with other Dwarfs, for example, just by virtue of smashing the filthy grobi often and with vigor.

• Options
    Generally with Dwarfs you just ignore and be generally nice to them. Think of territories you take as yours, they’re just looking after them for now.

• Options
    I failed to mention that I love how, while playing as Dwarfs, everything revolves around striking out grudges in the Dammaz Kron, and that if you're too good at it the Longbeards are grumpy due to lack of things to moan about. Just an entire race of grumpy old men.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wait is elite a proper synchronous multiplayer game? I thought it was like, asynchronous multiplayer where you never actually saw or met other players

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.