As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] My Better Brexit Deal Goes To Another School

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Leave vote was mostly associated with older people who might or might not be out of the workforce

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    You know I'm willing to bet a lot of money it was a 50/50 split each way. Just to make it extra impossible to know how to feel about it. That's the Brexit way!

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It's really, really hard not to feel a sense of grim vindictiveness about these industry closures in places that overwhelmingly voted to leave, I have to say.

Unfortunately, we’re all together in this burning boat, regardless of whether the idiots who set the fire deserve what’s coming.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Full solidarity with any workers losing their jobs who didn't vote for it.

For those that did, har har, you dumb fucks. You reap what you sow.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Bloody hell you spend one day on a construction site with bad phone signal and come back to see labour has had a minor implosion.

What is going on in this country.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Last Week Tonight focused its main segment on Brexit and it was extremely disheartening, especially when it came to clips of people living there talking about it being a bad idea, or people talking about the referendum when it was announced and how that alone was a bad idea. It's like the UK is being held hostage by stubborn politicians.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm sure you'd find plenty of Brits who will tell you with great conviction that Brexit is the best thing to happen to the UK since the glory days and it's stubborn politicians who are keeping it from being enacted fully.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd find plenty of Brits who will tell you with great conviction that Brexit is the best thing to happen to the UK since the glory days and it's stubborn politicians who are keeping it from being enacted fully.

Over half of Brits, in fact.

• Options

Probably a few fewer in Swindon tonight, though. How their swines of an MP(s) hasn’t gone for a long walk in the snow, I do not know.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Last Week Tonight focused its main segment on Brexit and it was extremely disheartening, especially when it came to clips of people living there talking about it being a bad idea, or people talking about the referendum when it was announced and how that alone was a bad idea. It's like the UK is being held hostage by stubborn politicians.

Not just stubborn, but elitist, in the original sense of the word. This was something pointed out in the piece by Penny - the UK has a "ruling class" built on being educated in the "top schools" and going through the same experiences, which serves to give them a very different view of the world. It's why the UK went all in on austerity, and why the referendum was offered in the first place.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    I think we're getting to a sufficiently tragic point where it would be genuinely interesting to compare the effectiveness for the wellbeing of the UK economy and people's lives from the last 2 Conservative administrations with the Luftwaffe.

Luftwaffe: Approx 60,000 civilian deaths. Countless millions of pounds lost from obliterated infrastructure and factories.

Cameron and May: Of course the comparison seems absurd on the face of it, but I think it could be reasonable to consider the rise in homeless deaths from the Office of National Statistics and the UN poverty envoy's report on austerity as directly their fault.

We could also evaluate if deaths shortly following benefits withdrawn by Department for Work and Pensions Tory changes and privitisation could reasonably imply causation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/tory-austerity-deaths-study-report-people-die-social-care-government-policy-a8057306.html?amp

It does look like investigation has been done on this subject and we're in the same ballpark of lives lost.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

deputy political editor telegraph

wont do much i imagine

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The entire government quits before no-deal happens, May is left alone in No. 10 with the lights turned off muttering strong and stable under her breath and caressing the deal parliament said no to before picking up the phone and trying to call David Cameron again.

That's what it seems like is going to happen in the next few weeks.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

Not everyone voted, so it's hard to tell.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

general opinion is against leave atm

and VERY against leave on any specific deal

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019

academic, really, wondering what people who don't vote think. If they don't bother involving themselves when it matters, it means nothing.

jaziek on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    The Labour Party have decided to show their strength and unity by readmitting that guy who tried and failed to get back in twice before.

Hannah is a politics reporter for Buzzfeed UK

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but...unilaterally extending Article 50 isn't even a thing May can DO, right?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but...unilaterally extending Article 50 isn't even a thing May can DO, right?

Nope. And the EU has already said that it's off the table unless there's evidence of a major shift in policy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Nope. And the EU has already said that it's off the table unless there's evidence of a major shift in policy.

Presumably the longer version is ‘if the option is no deal, we’ll resign and bring down the government, giving the EU cover to extend A50. OR you can shift your red lines, and encourage them to extend A50 as a result, but crashing out isn’t an option’

Mildly encouraging

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Yeah it was my understanding that while this option was on the table for a bit, the EU essentially came back to the problem that extending this is seemingly not going to change the end goal of leaving and thusly would be a waste of everyone's time.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Yeah it was my understanding that while this option was on the table for a bit, the EU essentially came back to the problem that extending this is seemingly not going to change the end goal of leaving and thusly would be a waste of everyone's time.

Another way to phrase it would be the "preparations" so far by the UK have so lowered the EU's opinion of the UK's ability that they don't think any amount of extra time would be enough.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Labour Party have decided to show their strength and unity by readmitting that guy who tried and failed to get back in twice before.

Wasn't this the guy expelled back in the 70s or 80s for being part of Militant?

Is this some sort of signal that Corbyn's Labour really wants to go back to those days even more then commentators joked about?

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Wasn't this the guy expelled back in the 70s or 80s for being part of Militant?

Is this some sort of signal that Corbyn's Labour really wants to go back to those days even more then commentators joked about?

Yup, that's him. His most recent attempt to re-enter the Labour party was 2015 I think.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    I'm sure George Galloway will rejoin at some point in the next six months. And maybe Ken if he doesn't mention Hitler for a whole day.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ah well we're safe for the latter then

Ken definitely can't not mention Hitler for a whole day

• Options
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    I'm sure George Galloway will rejoin at some point in the next six months. And maybe Ken if he doesn't mention Hitler for a whole day.

What did they get kicked out for?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    They're both capital A Antisemites

Ken Livingstone thinks Hitler was a Zionist

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They readmitted a literal Trotskyist?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

George Golloway is literally insane, like Charlie Sheen level insane. And Ken Livingstone can't draw breath without uttering a new fresh take on how Hitler really felt about the Jews.

• Options

Oh my god do we really need to go over Ken's Hitler stuff again. If this is a genuine question then look them up. George hasn't been in the party for a good 10+ years and was most recently in the press because Ofcom thought his radio show broke impartiality rules for suggesting Russia was the least likely culprit for Salisbury. He's also a person accusing the leavers of treachery despite literally standing against Labour numerous times.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Yes. Corbyn, of course, spoke in favour of Militant back in the 80s.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Corbyn never left. Oh you mean Hatton, yeah he's back apparently.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Labour Party has loads of Trots anyway

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

She can unilaterally revoke it, though

*crosses fingers in extremely forlorn hope*

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

deputy political editor telegraph

wont do much i imagine

Every article I am reading on the split, including those with quotes from those doing the splitting, are focusing on Labour's anti-semitism. Are they keeping the anti-Brexit aspect secret, or are they going to come out with a "Brexit is the Will of the People" platform too?

• Options
    Are you ok with racism, so long as the person saying it is anti-brexit? Every single person in the group is anti-brexit. For example, here's Chris Leslie:

Here's the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party:

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I for one wasn't allowed

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    LongLiveTheCoreLongLiveTheCore Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Bogart wrote: »

It didn't take long for the Blairites to immediately associate it with Brexit.

What it really is is the Japanese doing what they were going to do anyway as a consequence of the EU and Japan's Economic Partnership Agreement
    In 2013 EU governments instructed the European Commission to start negotiations with Japan
    and it is not like they are moving those manufacturing jobs to another part of the EU. So as you can see Brexit or no Brexit would have resulted in them moving out of the UK anyway due to reduction tariffs in the EU and possibly labour costs too.

Two other things, it won't stop production until 2022, three years after Brexit and their EU HQ is still being kept in Berkshire.
    Casual wrote: »

I dunno, in recent years he was one of the only sane voices in the room?

svqo86pa4jqy.jpg

I agree that even if Leave won by one vote then the referendum should be respected

LongLiveTheCore on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

It didn't take long for the Blairites to immediately associate it with Brexit.

What it really is is the Japanese doing what they were going to do anyway as a consequence of the EU and Japan's Economic Partnership Agreement
    In 2013 EU governments instructed the European Commission to start negotiations with Japan
    and it is not like they are moving those manufacturing jobs to another part of the EU. So as you can see Brexit or no Brexit would have resulted in them moving out of the UK anyway due to reduction tariffs in the EU and possibly labour costs too.

Two other things, it won't stop production until 2022, three years after Brexit and their EU HQ is still being kept in Berkshire.

Wait, being anti-Brexit is Blarite now?

This discussion has been closed.