As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Grinds measured in months and worth measured in GP.

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
z4mqe2kv15rg.jpg

OP elements shamelessly stolen from @belligerent. It took us 3 years, but we hit page 102, and it was only time before someone decided to throw an Imperial super weapon at us for our rebellion. I'm copy/pasting, but will strive to update a little here and there all the same.

Old Thread

So here's how this works: There are several modes but the basis is that there this is a 5v5 team based game. You unlock Star Wars themed characters from all 10 movies to fight on your team. Each dude or dudette has 2-4 abilities, with the more generic people having fewer abilities vs the big names. There are achievements, and daily quests and this is definitely free to play. The basic components are:

Credits: you use this to upgrade and train characters.

Crystals: This is the freemium currency. You can spend real money on this, i think 10 bucks gives you 1200 crystals. You can spend crystals to refill your energy, purchase credits, Chromium cards, refresh shipments, and purchase character shards.

Various mode currencies: Cantina battles, Galactic war, Arena, and the Fleet Arena game modes reward currency for wins, which can be spent on characters or equipment. Those are your day to day, bread and butter currencies, and then there's the Guild Event store, which is accrued in Territory Battles (PVE), Territory Wars (PVP), and some high end Raids.

Galactic battle: is basically horde mode. It's PVP where the results of the previous battle persist from game to game. You can use your whole roster, and if one of your army dies, they are dead until you win or reset. You can reset once per day.

Challenge modes: I don't know if they're random but sometimes it's just attackers allowed or just tanks. Or sometimes it's boba fett and he gets healed. Fuck Cad Bane though. (They're not actually random, they're on a set rotation noted on the Challenges. I guess you can Fuck Cad Bane if you want to, and he's into it, I'm not judging.

Characters: There are several important characteristics of your people. They basically are level, rarity, gear level and ability level. These things are calculated to give you an expected power level of characters.

Level: Your account level is the max a character level can be. Training droids and credits are used to level up people. Right, fuck, there's training droids, but most players will be drowning in them. They might as well take them away, post level cap they're basically worthless.

Rarity: Most characters start between 1 and 4 stars. The stars multiply the base stats of the character. To gain rarity, you must collect character shards. 1->2 stars is 15 shards. 2->3 is 25 3->4 30. 4->5 is 65. I have no idea what's after that because I'm a scrub. 5->6 is 85, and 6->7 is 100. It takes a total of 330 shards to upgrade a character fully, and those paying attention will notice that the grind from 5 to 7 is over half the total.

Gear Level: Your character has several statistics. I have no idea what they are, don't ask. But you equip gear earned from fights to increase these stats. there are 6 slots per character, when all are filled you can "upgrade" their gear to the next tier. They're colored green blue and purple, just like wow. And now there's yellow bits. The new cap is 12, and for most characters it's excessive.

Ability Level: Each character starts with an ability to attack and maybe do something else like buff or debuff a character. These abilities can also be leveled up. There are also passive characteristics that can be leveled as well.

Since the original thread's original post, there have been several quality of life enhancements, Sim tickets are basically given out like candy, they introduced Mods, they introduced being able to level up those mods, they added a shit ton of stuff, the Galactic War was a clusterfuck for a while, now it's just simmed by most long term players, they gave out a bunch of random stuff, and there is an endless train of Pay2Own characters with obnoxious grinds for those of us not willing to open our wallets during their customary release event (get 'em on round two 3-4 months later if you're Free2Play). I'm sure I'm forgetting a dozen things big and small, but with some editorial content added, this covers most of the basics.

Cheers, and good hunting, folks!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I feel...dirty? I used Galactic Bounties for 20 Paploo shards.

It got me closer to 6 stars, is my justification.

Logray is almost done. Chirpa and Wicket are both in their last 100.

Scout, Elder, and Teebo are all at 7.

I should be able to get 3PO unlocked and up to 6. 7 might require some luck...

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I mean, that's the nice thing about those Galactic Bounties missions. In my opinion those are some of their best constructed bonus events. You can use them how you need them, and there's not really a penalty for picking a lower tier option if that's where the shards are that you need.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ugh, I think I'm going to be short on the Palp ship. :( I'm out of crystals and it goes away before resets today.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that Bounty Hunters are the most fun team. They're not the strongest in meta. They'll never put anyone in the top 100. But for PVE content they are far and away the most fun team to play with. These Galactic Bounties missions and also the Rebel Roundup missions each month are pretty much the best repeatable content in the game. And even though the Chewbacca event is balls hard, it's still a lot of fun. The BH's are just a really fun faction to play with.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    My crappy hunter squad can run the clear tier of the bounties. Not 3*, but at least they can finally do something with this event.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I thought I'd try the easiest tiers of that and was just hilariously run over

• Options
    Ugh both my shards were very stable until this last week and now I keep getting pushed off t50 and t20 right at payout.

This is sad for me specifically

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My crappy hunter squad can run the clear tier of the bounties. Not 3*, but at least they can finally do something with this event.

I two starred the level 3 Credit Heist for the first time today. Gimme dem credits.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I got about 40 shards for the Emperor's shuttle just doing my normal farms.

Not sure how often it comes around, but I assume I should be able to get it next time.

• Options
    If I'd have realized how close id get naturally I'd have planned my refreshes better but I basically traded in 400 crystals for the 5* and I'm ok with that I think. I just won't have crystals for a few days

• Options
    I'm farming Bounty Hunter ships right now for the next time the OT Falcon comes around. Emperor's Shuttle doesn't fit into my current Space plans so I let that one go without investing any extra effort. I got 30 shards from normal farming.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I got about 40 shards for the Emperor's shuttle just doing my normal farms.

Not sure how often it comes around, but I assume I should be able to get it next time.

Have they said it would be coming back?

I assumed this was the new way to give the whales a chance to get it, while the rest of us waited 3-6+ months for it to become farmable on a node.

I got 37 shards. They could make it monthly and I wouldn't have the thing finished until October. Which, granted, would be faster than putting it on a node...

• Options
    I thought they said it would come back, but next time on a different table.

And maybe they’ll release other characters/ships this way.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Looking at the B1 Droid kit, I think pairing him with Ventress will make her extremely powerful, given that he keeps dying over and over.

Ventress has the Separatist tag as well, so that makes her an even better partner to him.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I think there’s something in the way B1 works that doesn’t trigger Ventress?

Yeah, it doesn’t actually die until the counter hits zero. It also doesn’t count as reviving.

• Options
    Yeah when his stack counter is there, it doesn't count as deaths. His turn meter doesn't reset when he dies either.

• Options
    Wow, G10 Revan is already my second strongest toon. He's well over G12 Vader, Palpatine, Tarkin and Thrawn.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Oh cool I just noticed that I'll be able to do the upcoming assault battles and their achievements will get me to 7* Vader which is great because I saw him in the shop literally once last week

• Options
    Oh cool I just noticed that I'll be able to do the upcoming assault battles and their achievements will get me to 7* Vader which is great because I saw him in the shop literally once last week

I saw him once today. I jump on him every chance I have the mats for it.

• Options
    Separatists take out a Revan team before all the reworks are done.

https://youtu.be/SlcU1w0bss4

Not sure how that Revan squad was geared/modded, but separatists look like they're gonna be rad

• Options
    Meta always moving the goal posts.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Good.

Fuck the Revan meta. 80% of the top 100 is Revan right now and it makes me sick.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It'd be one thing if it was a tough but enjoyable fight.

There is absolutely nothing fun about fighting Revan/Jolee/Yoda/etc.

Even when I beat them, it's more of an exasperated 'fucking finally', and that's without getting into the ongoing complaints of Revan/Revan matchups timing out.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Oh wow this ewok event is full on murderbears. I figured the first tier would be easy like the empire one. My empire team that exceeds the minimum got eaten quite easily. Hopefully I can do the separatists one. I was counting on the achievement shards from one of these to 7* vader

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    They are murder bears but a lot of that fight is knowing what to kill in what order.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    It's much easier using droids, even with a high level empire team. HK leader and as many droids with AoEs as possible.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Leia and STHan being squad currency is seriously stunting my CLS farming :bigfrown:

• Options
    Is the upcoming separatists assault battles easier than these murderbears? My empire team seems not fit for duty yet. I was hoping to get the achievement with 10 Vader shards to finish him from one of these (I'm at 88/100 and will get 5 for the GMY event)

• Options
    I think it's easier.

Murderbears I have to manually do mythic.

Separatists I just hit auto, and put my phone down. That's with zBastila, and now Revan though. So, depends on your squads I guess

• Options
    Man, arena is not fun right now.

Revan v Revan fights are ass.

• Options
    Revan has completely ruined this game. When CLS and RTJ each had a turn as the king of the meta, it was never this bad.

Revan has made it not fun and a boring, unwinnable slog.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    The new Separatist rework looks like it's going to upset the Revan dominance, so I look forward to seeing that update come.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    B1 is incredibly easy to gear.

I got him to g10 without trying, and need 1 piece for 11.

I just dropped a zeta on wicket to round out my ewoks, and I want to put my next one on b1. Gonna hang on to see the Grevious rework first though.

• Options
    Grevious rework:

https://youtu.be/l-X1NwYcdEw

Looks pretty fun!

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Nice. Now you can finally play the game.

I just got high enough to see what a zeta costs to apply and oh damn did I not plan around that

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Nice. Now you can finally play the game.

I just got high enough to see what a zeta costs to apply and oh damn did I not plan around that

Key to zetas is get a strong fleet.

Current fleet meta is Bossk, and OT falcon dominated.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    I was told early to make sure I had a fleet able to clear tarkins 5* challenge to be able to clear the t3 ability challenge to actually farm zetas and I'm not there yet on the ability challenge but I finally cleared the tarkin challenge last week. It's tough. They didn't mess around with the difficulty curve in ships.

• Options
    It's also important to note that it is pretty much impossible to keep up with the zeta influx or even get all the zetas you want. Each zeta you invest in bears a lot of weight because you simply will never have the time or materials to get everything.

I've been working on First Order lately, because they are defensively a very strong team and I wanted them to be tippy top in Grand Arena and Territory Wars. So I made the decision to invest in the zetas for the First Order defensive squad. But by doing this, I've also pushed back the possibility of having a strong zeta Revan, and I certainly have locked myself out from Separatist Droids, who are going to be the new meta come Thursday when the Grievous rework hits and the Droideka is released.

I have adopted a current plan for my own account of "Build What You Have." The philosophy here is simple. I have a lot of good characters already at 7star and G8+, so I have chosen to invest in the roster I have, rather than chasing every new meta that comes along. I am using my gear, zetas, and mods to improve the teams I already have.

After I finish my First Order team, I'm gonna take a detour into Old Ben to finish his gear up to G12 so that I can finish the Jedi prestige quest. After Old Ben, my next focus team will be Imperial Troopers. I've already got Veers' zeta and he's G12, so I just need to work on the rest of the core trooper team.

And that's about as far as I have officially planned ahead, although I do have some strong leanings for what to do after that.

• Options
    Well, I think I’ll be able to unlock and 6-star 3PO. 7 depends on luck. Chirpa is under 25, so I think I can get that. And either I’m able to get like 170 shards for Wicket and Paploo, or I have to beat the last tier with Teebo and Scout.

Dengar is done, so Chewie should be all set.

Maybe I’ll build up Jawas to counter the new droid meta. :P