As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's Jessica Jones] (Tag your spoilers or face Jessica's snarky wrath)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Are you talking about Trish
    killing her mother? That was the best outcome given the cluster fuck of the situation. Everything else Trish did after the midway point was fucked up, though. In execution if not intent.
    I disagree about that being the 'best' outcome. The alternative was a coin flip on whether or not the cops would've shot her. If they did, then the same result would've been in place only Trish's relationship with Jessica would be... not entirely destroyed.
    Oh by the way there's a plot hole that I forgot to mention in my post last night.
    How the fuck did Jessica not immediately go "HOLY SHIT, MOM?!" when seeing her and having a photo to stare at forever?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That's not a plot hole, it got explained!
    she was all crisped up, got plastic surgery to look normal again. Her finished appearance wasn't anything like she used to look like. IIRC, she ends up looking like one of the nurses.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    she was all crisped up, got plastic surgery to look normal again. Her finished appearance wasn't anything like she used to look like. IIRC, she ends up looking like one of the nurses.
    I don't remember plastic surgery being mentioned at all. The doctor says that they're using bio tech so that she can heal / regrow her own cells and such. So wouldn't she end up looking like herself, more or less?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Are you talking about Trish
    killing her mother? That was the best outcome given the cluster fuck of the situation. Everything else Trish did after the midway point was fucked up, though. In execution if not intent.
    I disagree about that being the 'best' outcome. The alternative was a coin flip on whether or not the cops would've shot her. If they did, then the same result would've been in place only Trish's relationship with Jessica would be... not entirely destroyed.
    Oh by the way there's a plot hole that I forgot to mention in my post last night.
    How the fuck did Jessica not immediately go "HOLY SHIT, MOM?!" when seeing her and having a photo to stare at forever?

It wasn't really a coin flip at that point:
    She'd flip out, they'd shoot her. And maybe Jessica too. And JESSICA created that entire situation at that point. So they both screwed themselves over.

And it's also been 20 years. she thought her mother was dead and she was a kid. So even if nothing else changed you can hand wave that.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    I don't remember plastic surgery being mentioned at all. The doctor says that they're using bio tech so that she can heal / regrow her own cells and such. So wouldn't she end up looking like herself, more or less?

My thoughts:
    I don't think they make explicit mention of it, but I think we're meant to believe that she had facial reconstruction surgery. It is clear that she is not fully healed, due to needing to wear a wig, and the occasional shots from behind where we see severe burn scars. My interpretation was that her face wasn't her own, possibly a transplant or reconstructed from her own flesh.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Roz wrote: »

My thoughts:
    I don't think they make explicit mention of it, but I think we're meant to believe that she had facial reconstruction surgery. It is clear that she is not fully healed, due to needing to wear a wig, and the occasional shots from behind where we see severe burn scars. My interpretation was that her face wasn't her own, possibly a transplant or reconstructed from her own flesh.
    I believe the doc said that because genetic modification was part of the therapy so even though her face grew back, it wasn't her original face.

Also i dunno, something something epigenetics.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    That plot hole was explained in the series since I had that thought as I was watching, and at some point I went, "Oh, that's the bullshit explanation for it."

I just don't remember what the bullshit was.

• Options
    I guess that works, it just wasn't the strongest sell on their part.

By the way Krysten Ritter talked about season 3 hopes a day or so ago. She was saying she hopes to see Jessica make more of an effort to help people / be a hero. Which would be a nice change of pace. It doesn't have to be a complete 180 personality shift or anything, mind you.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

By the way Krysten Ritter talked about season 3 hopes a day or so ago. She was saying she hopes to see Jessica make more of an effort to help people / be a hero. Which would be a nice change of pace. It doesn't have to be a complete 180 personality shift or anything, mind you.

Jessica has been doing a bunch of good work, if I recall, with her PI business. She just isn't out there doing superhero stuff because that isn't her jam.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    at least after season 2 jessica may be in a better place mentally to move on as she seems to have at least acknowledged a lot of the issues in her life are where her choices led her and at least understanding that maybe can make better choices going forward.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Jessica has been doing a bunch of good work, if I recall, with her PI business. She just isn't out there doing superhero stuff because that isn't her jam.

To date when doing PI work she seems to default to busting cheaters and digging up dirt. To the point of avoiding altruistic jobs. It's just when things do go down she can't not try to help.

The only time I can think of her actually trying to find an opportunity to help was when she first saved Malcom right before Killgrave showed up.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

To date when doing PI work she seems to default to busting cheaters and digging up dirt. To the point of avoiding altruistic jobs. It's just when things do go down she can't not try to help.

The only time I can think of her actually trying to find an opportunity to help was when she first saved Malcom right before Killgrave showed up.

Yeah, her choice of cases are all about reinforcing her self loathing and general misanthropy. It's one of the many reasons Malcolm finally walked.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

I may be thinking of The Defenders. Wasn't she, like, accepting chickens as payment or something?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    No she got that pizza though.

Matt would have accepted chickens in DDS2.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Well, Netflix cancelled it even before it was shown. We'll get the season but nothing after that.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Glad they're not gonna keep us in suspense, I guess. Here's hoping they end on a night note.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Glad they're not gonna keep us in suspense, I guess. Here's hoping they end on a night note.
    They'd have to be incredibly dense not to see the writing on the wall, so I'm sure that at least it will be an actual ending. Unlike the complete garbage that was the last 10 minutes of Luke Cage

• Options
    Not sure they had time to write the ending after they found out even Iron Fist was dead. Or would care enough. Seems unlikely, JJ S3 started filming in June so unless they did some kind of quick last scene probably won't relate.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/7DBKS2qH51I

I'm not hopeful but it would be good to have Luke Cage show up one last time as they had some nice chemistry.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    This reminds me I have the rest of Punisher to watch too before Disney takes it all away.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    I don't think Netflix will lose what they have made, they just can't make any more.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Protagonist vs. twisted supergenius needs a 25 year break

• Options
    Had to look up who Salinger is. Comparing that bio to the trailer above it sounds like they're going to make him really different in the show.

I'm gonna miss the deep dives going on off the big screen for the MCU. Characters I hadn't heard of and such.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Had to look up who Salinger is. Comparing that bio to the trailer above it sounds like they're going to make him really different in the show.

I'm gonna miss the deep dives going on off the big screen for the MCU. Characters I hadn't heard of and such.

You'll get plenty of those with the +shows no doubt.
    I'm sure they'll be digging up all types of interesting folks for WandaVision and Falcon&Winter Soldier.
    Probably all types of zany stuff too for the Loki show.

• Options
    Just got through seasons 1 and 2 again, right in time for the season 3 drop. Kinda wanted to make sure I had the right frame of mind for the tone of the show. I never realized how much I hated Trish as a character. What a complete pain in the ass.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Just got through seasons 1 and 2 again, right in time for the season 3 drop. Kinda wanted to make sure I had the right frame of mind for the tone of the show. I never realized how much I hated Trish as a character. What a complete pain in the ass.

If this show had more of a future is be really mad if she wasn't being set up for a full villain turn.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I am now forgetting everything she did, but pretty sure it wasn't quite to the villain level. And no reason it would have to be if she realized how fucked up she was being.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I am now forgetting everything she did, but pretty sure it wasn't quite to the villain level. And no reason it would have to be if she realized how fucked up she was being.
    Not villain level but it easily goes down that path. She's basically obsessed with Jessica having super powers but she can't. For as much as she hates her mother for how she was brought up, she's still a child that expects to get everything she wants and doesn't give a damn about who she hurts to get it.

Edit - Though I mean, end of S2,
    she also straight up killed Jessica's mother when they were just talking on the ferris wheel.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Not villain level but it easily goes down that path. She's basically obsessed with Jessica having super powers but she can't. For as much as she hates her mother for how she was brought up, she's still a child that expects to get everything she wants and doesn't give a damn about who she hurts to get it.

Edit - Though I mean, end of S2,
    she also straight up killed Jessica's mother when they were just talking on the ferris wheel.

We went over that up thread: That was the one thing she did that was justifiable in the back half.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Anybody checking out the third season? Review I read was it's a very Netflix Marvel show and real real slow.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I just could not stand Jessica's mother. I hope the villain in this series is better.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Anybody checking out the third season? Review I read was it's a very Netflix Marvel show and real real slow.

JJ is the only Marvel show, movie, cartoon, anything, that my girlfriend truly enjoys. You can bet we'll be watching it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    nearly done with S3 and it's pretty meh so far.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So, early in S3.
    Did I miss something?

She jumps in to the apartment when Trish has the gun pulled on her, and next episode Jessica is in the hospital after being stabbed?

Feels like an episode got skipped.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    So, early in S3.
    Did I miss something?

She jumps in to the apartment when Trish has the gun pulled on her, and next episode Jessica is in the hospital after being stabbed?

She gets stabbed in the last scene of episode one.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Ok, so it goes back and forth. That's why I got confused.

• Options
    Raynaga wrote: »
    So, early in S3.
    Did I miss something?

She gets stabbed in the last scene of episode one.
    I'm not sure how anyone could miss that happening at the end of episode 1.

As for me I'm three episodes in and aside from episode 2 being a sort of cut-away story for the most part, like the Karen episode in Daredevil, it doesn't seem 'slow' to me just yet. One complaint about episode 3;
    there seemed to be a few sex scenes that didn't really do anything aside from fill time.

• Options
    I'm through six episodes and if I had to gauge the pace, it's moving at about the rate season 1 did. Puts it far above Punisher season 2's pace. And quality, now that I think about it.

• Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    Done with s3. Liked it more than s2 but not as much as s1.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    This season is pretty awful. The Marvel Netflix shows were a huge letdown by and large, with a few shining points.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg