As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rainbow Six Siege: Operation Wind Bastion is a GO.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited December 2018 in Games and Technology

Rainbow Six: Siege is a first person team based shooter built for the ground up with tactics and strategy wrapped in an engine that provides completely destructible environments.

Siege originally launched with 20 original defense and offense operators (Classed characters with different special abilities and weapon load-outs). Since December 1st 2015, Siege has gradually added more operators over 2 seasons (Rainbow Six DLC for 2 years) and is currently on season 3.

rainbow-six-siege.jpg

Currently they have released 3 new offense and 3 new defensive operators this season.

The first operators of Season 3 are Lion and Finka. Lion sends out a drone that reveals defenders that move during its short duration. Finka gives herself and her teammates a boost of adrenaline that boosts their health, lowers weapon recoil, and revives down allies.

maxresdefault.jpg

The second released operators include a heavily armored character with special cameras that can be mounted and used to attack named Maestro, and a light character with hologram projectiles named Alibi.

rainbow-six-siege-year-3-season-2-hero.jpg

Operation Grim Sky launched on September 4th. With it, 2 new operators. A new Hard breacher named Maverick, who's tool can break any surface like Thermite, and a new shield defender named Clash

Operation Wind Bastion is live. With it comes 2 new operators. One Defense and one Attacker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuPtUB9j4yo

Kaid is a defender with the ability to toss stickies that electrify reinforced walls.

Nomad is an attacker that can shoot proximity mines that explode when you enter their range.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    ObiwanShenobiObiwanShenobi Registered User regular
    I like the new operators. The new map is OK so far, not my favorite but still fairly fun to play.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    In the future, Ubisoft will add 2 new Operators. One defending and one attacking.

They have revealed the defender named Clash. She is a shield defender, much like the attacker Montagne, only she is armed with a shock type weapon.

https://youtu.be/pM5Pqv10vJA

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
  • Options
    I for one am excited for a new hard breacher.

Still going to main Echo on defence. Two Yokai is too good to give up

• Options
    BlueshiftBlueshift Registered User regular
    I never tried Echo until a few weeks ago and I'm finding him a blast to play. Having the drones/intel on defense is so, I don't know, comfortable?

• Options
    It's great. On bomb you can cover both bomb sites and stop defusal. And on secure area you can cover two ways into the objective room. You just need to land headshots with his mp5 though

• Options
    Maverick looks fun. It will be nice to put some holes in hard walls.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I really wish ranked was always bomb like pro league. Secure area and hostage are such clown fiestas. On the plus side, I look forward to cheeky Maverick shenanigans like cutting a hole to sneak the hostage out.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I wish the ranked maps showed up in casual. I'm super intimidated to play my first ranked match because knowing the maps is such a big part of the game. Also, I do not know any of the meta.

• Options
    https://www.r6maps.com/ is pretty great. I will occasionally pop it open on lunch at work and just browse layouts, devise entry plans, etc. Very handy. That being said, I'm pretty sure ranked maps are in the casual pool like normal.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    https://www.r6maps.com/ is pretty great. I will occasionally pop it open on lunch at work and just browse layouts, devise entry plans, etc. Very handy. That being said, I'm pretty sure ranked maps are in the casual pool like normal.

Oops. I totally misunderstood how the patch notes were laid out and my brain never did any critical thinking. Casual is all maps, ranked is a subset of those. Now I understand. Ranked here I come.

• Options
    I play way more casual than ranked. I get more matches out of it. Almost all my ranked games go to tie breaker rounds.

The trials of being silver 2.

• Options
    Updated the OP for Operation Grim Sky.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    What i thought it went up Tuesday?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    I thought I read that it goes up on the 3rd. My bad.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Grim Sky goes live at 2pm UK time. I cannot wait.

First thing I'm going to do when it downloads is....run some TH with Buck. I understand the new recoil changes make C8 + Acog viable.

And his C8 is fucking lethal despite the recoil

• Options
    I expect this comic is a good indication of what I can expect today. Still, very excited to see how the new ops shake things up, and NuHereford looks awesome. I am a bit nervous about them changing hibana's pellet interactions, again, as they don't exactly have the best track record with her.
    vvoqtuw7lr3x.jpg

• Options
    I'll give him a whirl but my hard breaching main will always be Thermite.

I need my really big fucking holes.

Take that as you will

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Played a bunch of the new patch on the TTS, including some scrims. Clash got banned a lot. She’s a lot like Mira in the sense that you absolutely need to come prepared with a plan to deal with her if whoever playing her knows what they’re doing. She’s a total terror like a good Monty, being that she’s a living drone. Macie Jay has basically been maining Clash already and has some real terror inducing plays if you want a taste of what’s to come.

Maverick seems to be in a weird spot balance wise, because by tweaking a few values on his gadget he went from stupidly overpowered as far as gadget clearing utility to only sometimes really useful, but mostly just a good gun on fast legs. He can zap evil eyes real quick for basically no cost like he could do briefly to barbed wire, and I suspect they’ll change that. I’m mostly disappointed in just how easy it is to totally deny antibreach gadgets like batteries and jammers. You can cut a relatively safe hole in the bottom of a reinforcement, just one little guy, and deny the antibreach from that. I’m suspecting it’s going to shake out to make some sites not as viable to defend as they once were.

I did get a kill on a Mira holding the wall between Workshop and Ventilation on Border with a tiny maverick hole in the ceiling above her. We had taken Armory and wanted to plant Vents but they had put a window into it, so I real quietly burned out a hole above her head. Good times.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I downloaded the patch and the Operation Grim Sky background is up, but I can't get into multiplayer.

*edit* Got it, needed to redownload the patch.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Uni pooched this one big time. Seems there was a connection error bug that a lot of people were getting in the tts and that bug has made it to live. Always errors out at about 45 seconds of searching.

Didn't wanna play anyways, I guess

• Options
    Yeah I struggled getting games last night but managed to get a few ones in.

Clash is hard to deal with

• Options
    Played for a while last night without problems. Had a good round or two with Clash but for some reason I still feel like the non-shield ops are better for defense. Didn't join the race to snatch up maverick but i did get killed several times by those little peek holes, on favela of all places. Good stuff

• Options
    I've played 2 ranked games.

Lost both

Copper here I come

• Options
    I like Maverick, but not sure about Clash yet.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I like Maverick, but not sure about Clash yet.

Clash is pretty crap on her own, but deadly if she has support. Everyone will be so focused on her, the defender backing her up can use her for cover or flank and get kills.

Karl on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Might be worth changing the thread title for, but you can currently buy the game and operators up to the end of season three for $27.

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    Might be worth changing the thread title for, but you can currently buy the game and operators up to the end of season three for $27.

The steam page might be using and outdated chart, but that gets you only year 3 operators. If you want 1 and 2, you have to get the complete edition for 39.

Still a good deal, as the usual price for that is 130.

• Options
    I pulled off a headshot at medium range with Smoke's SMG-11 last night.

This is what Plat looks like isn't it?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of this lately and it is a blast. That r6maps thing looks super useful, I'm terrible at knowing what to fortify.

• Options
    Play lots of casual. Lots of it. I wouldn't even bother with ranked for this season. Also, lots and lots of THUNT to learn recoil

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Kind of disappointing that 4 years into this game, they haven't really added any meaningful solo content other than the awful lone-wolf option for terry hunt the game launched with. Bot matches or something would be nice. Any time I've ever tried to play Siege PvP, I can't say it's ever been a fun time. I don't mean like losing or whatever. Just super intentional team killing, people immediately tearing down any fortifications I try to do, and I guess the new thing is to not pick an operator other than the recruit? Maybe that doesn't really matter, but that seems like trying to throw the match? I dunno. I keep trying to like this game, but the people I keep getting matched up with are pricks...

I wish more of these online games would let you have fun by yourself if you want =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The most success I've had with that (especially when you first get people into playing it) is running private games with people who all suck evenly so that they can learn maps/angles etc.

But that's still a pretty huge ask.

And pings have been brutal for me to try and play with people overseas in this game.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Just picked this up on PS4, excited to get my anus handed to me repeatedly

• Options

They're adding a 'new to R6' playlist I think next week (it might actually be today, I can't check at work) just for people in your boat! It really, really helps to learn the maps so that playlist only has like 3 or 4 I think.

• Options
    God Reddit is losing their mind on roadblock the new sasr attacker. She's obese etc. Fucking morons

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Blueshift wrote: »

They're adding a 'new to R6' playlist I think next week (it might actually be today, I can't check at work) just for people in your boat! It really, really helps to learn the maps so that playlist only has like 3 or 4 I think.

Awesome! I’ve seen a few videos but that’s not really the same thing.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    *blows the dust off the thread*

Is this the newest R6:S thread? If so, I'm rezzing this because well, this is kind of a hard game to get into solo (not to mention the matchmaker, at least for newcomer matches, takes forever. Nothing like a ten minute matchmaker wait, dropping you into round four, and then half your team gets spawn sniped on the match point).

Is it just bad matchmaker luck, or is the community running low? Is there any sort of PA group that can help ease a newcomer into the dao of Siege? Like helping learn camera locations, although I guess the biggest lesson is patience.

That and knowing how to play the angles.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I thought I'd give this one poke, just to see if there's anybody hanging around PA looking for people to play with. Definitely learned a few things since I made that previous post. Like apparently the only people playing 'newcomer' are seal clubbers looking for victims, and the people like me who just didn't know better yet. Regular 'quick match' has the fast turnaround matchmaking, and although team mate quality is all up to RNG, the matches are generally fun, as opposed to 30 seconds of 'wtf is going on?' and 'so I just got head shot through two walls, while crouching behind a counter.' :rotate:

• Options
    Yeah Newcomer is a playlist I totally expect to be filled with smurf starter editions that just want to cause misery.

Quick Match is just fine, and what we play when I'm with people. I haven't touched ranked since I genuinely dont care, aren't good enough, and disinterested in high level siege.