As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread: Where the term "projection" is A-OK!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Variable wrote: »
    recently caught Blockers. it's good.

just watched Tag. that was GREAT

about to watch Game Night

latter 2 are on hbogo, I caught blockers on cable not sure if it's streaming

Game Night is pretty great.

There's an article on AV Club about how if the Academy took comedies seriously, Rachel McAdams would've gotten a best actress nom, and it's not wrong.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Blockers isn't near as good as Game Night, but it has a few wrinkles that make it fun. Ike Barinholtz's character in particular caught me off guard enough to make the entire thing worth watching. The movie probably came 2 or 3 years too late for the message it was giving. It's more describing the parenting trends than being transgressive.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

There's an article on AV Club about how if the Academy took comedies seriously, Rachel McAdams would've gotten a best actress nom, and it's not wrong.

I feel the same way about Anne Hathaway in Ocean's Eight.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I had to think on this, but I agree she was the best part of the film

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Watched alita on the weekend and really liked it! Watched with people that never heard of the Manga, and all were thoroughly entertained and couldn't wait for the sequel.
    Word of mouth might help this movie quite a bit.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah I hope so

It was way better than it had any right to be

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

That movie would have been better if it had said she was playing herself.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »

That movie would have been better if it had said she was playing herself.

It would have been better if a lot of things were different

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    So hey, Lego Movie 2!

I am an unabashed fan of the first movie, and found it brilliant and delightful in every way. So it was going to be difficult for the sequel to live up to expectations.

And of course it didn't, because that was basically impossible. But still... Everything Is Pretty Good.

It doesn't really have any significant flaws. It's funny, creative, clever, well acted, and it's also a full-on musical, and musicals are my bag. The original film had the brilliant twist of being a secret allegory for a moving father/son dynamic, and while this movie has an equally well-done allegory for a brother/sister dynamic, it predictably doesn't match the impact of the first one. But it doesn't try to make this into a big twist, it just lets it play out with well-spaced reveals that are cute and moving.

The movie knows it can't recreate the magic of the original, and it doesn't really try to, but rather aims for being a worthy sequel with some good new characters and satisfactory character arcs for the old ones. It reminds me of 22 Jump Street, which was also a very good sequel that couldn't quite match the original. Also, like 22 Jump Street, it ends with an amazing end credits sequence which was almost worth the price of admission in itself.

So if you liked the first one, this one is definitely worth a watch. Temper your expectations, and I think you'll be happy.
    Everything's not awesome.
    Things can't be awesome all of the time.
    It's not realistic expectation.
    But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

See, the thing I took away from Lego Movie 2 was
    THIS SONG'S GONNA GET STUCK INSIDE YOUR
    THIS SONG'S GONNA GET STUCK INSIDE YOUR
    THIS SONG'S GONNA GET STUCK INSIDE YOUR HEEEEEEAAAAAAD

Man, the music game was on point in that movie

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »
    Alright so I was able to see almost everything I wanted from 1942. I was prepared to call it the worst year of the decade based off of what I had seen prior: a couple of great films, an even spread of good ones to round out the list, and no flat-out masterpieces to speak of. The international conflict was definitely hampering the amount and quality of a lot output from almost every nation that was producing excellent films in the decade prior. I still might consider it one of the weaker years of the decade, but it's way more interesting than I initially gave it credit. The handful of films I had left to check out for the first time really brightened my days; I believe I wrote short posts about a couple of them.

Firstly, it's maybe the only year where two pieces of propaganda make my top 10. Both are from Britain: one documentary and one fiction: Listen to Britain and Went the Day Well. I'm not so hot on these kinds of films (propaganda or films about how British Britain is), but they're both wildly creative in concept and also very earnest, putting the endeavors of people before the ideas they're meant to represent. The lives of the everyday people appear to be a central thematic concern in mainland Europe as well with the smartly written Four Steps in the Clouds from Italy, and the achingly vivid People on the Alps that point towards some of the filmic realism that would take hold in the late/post war years. And though France was definitely slowed down by an occupation, they kept making really... French films for lack of a better word: fantasies (La Nuit Fantastique), plucky crime films (L'Assassin), and weird period pieces (The Devil's Envoys, absent from my list; it's weird).

America remains top dog for the third year in a row through the strength of imaginative, beautifully executed film comedy. Lubitsch and Sturges, two of my favorites, created two of their very funniest. To Be or Not to Be together with The Mortal Storm released two years prior are the greatest films Hollywood made about Nazism, and the Lubitsch film is also an espionage caper and a hilarious comedy about actors and infidelity---so maybe it has that much more going for it. The Palm Beach Story isn't as timely, but it's an artful kind of sustained lunacy; a high-wire act of oddball characters (The Wienie King! Toto!) and ridiculous circumstances. Anyways:

Top 10:

1. The Palm Beach Story
    2. To Be or Not to Be
    3. Gentleman Jim
    4. Listen to Britain
    5. Seven Sweethearts
    6. People on the Alps
    7. Cat People
    8. Four Steps in the Clouds
    9. There Was a Father
    10. Went the Day Well?

Honourable Mentions in vague preferential order:

-La Nuit Fantastique
    -Saboteur
    -The Vanishing Virginian
    -L'Assassin Habite au 21
    -Blitz Wolf

Naturally 1943 is next, which features a number of films I think are great but I haven't seen in about a decade, so I think a few rewatches will be in order! There's also a small handful of French stuff to check out, which I'm looking forward to. A lot of popular understandings of film history seem to hand-wave French cinema during the occupation apart from Children of Paradise (which I never liked myself), and this project has been useful in discovering several other impressive and beautiful films made during the war.

This is very cool.

I decided to take a look at the year, see what I had seen, and it was a whopping two movies - Bambi...and Casablanca. I'll definitely add these to the list, I love watching older movies, see how much has changed.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    How much of a Nerd am I that the crappy games they played in Game Night enraged me so much?

motherfucker you play games with friends every week and still play fucking pictionary?

*flips table*

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Avatar is what you'd get if you took Princess Mononoke and sucked out a lot of the beauty, nuance, and imagination

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I liked Avatar a lot and will gladly watch it again

I also recognize it is p flawed but

when they ride on the dragon birds I do love that shit

The mech

Has a big mech knife

For big mech knife fighting

Are you listing this as a negative or a positive?

Because for me it's like the biggest positive from the whole film.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    Avatar is what you'd get if you took Princess Mononoke and sucked out a lot of the beauty, nuance, and imagination

Not to mention its lack of zombie boar gods

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Now I wish Stephen Lang was in Princess Mononoke.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Did anyone watch How to Train Your Dragon 3? I was invited to see the 3rd one with a date, but I haven't see any of the others...

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    How much of a Nerd am I that the crappy games they played in Game Night enraged me so much?

motherfucker you play games with friends every week and still play fucking pictionary?

*flips table*

What... what should people play that's like Pictionary but better?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Now I wish Stephen Lang was in Princess Mononoke.

Honestly I wish Stephen Lang was in more things. He's like movie tobassco, just add him what's it going to hurt?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Don't play Pictionary with a bunch of artists. The only way anyone loses is with really obscure words and concepts that no one knows.

• Options
    Who plays pictionary anymore? Like seriously sextionary or this orgy ain't ever happening

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Who plays pictionary anymore? Like seriously sextionary or this orgy ain't ever happening

HR people that force said team of artists to participate in Pictionary on every team building event.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

HR people that force said team of artists to participate in Pictionary on every team building event.

HR more like uhhh I got nothing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    HTTYD 3 isn't out yet.

Pictionary is great if you play with a bunch of people who can't draw for shit. Used to play all the time with my family and it was a riot because everything was terrible.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So we watched Bohemian Rhapsody. The film could have been so much better on so many levels.

My prescription for improvement starts at just making it a 6-hour epic. Allows for more depth of course and would have been a fun meta thing with the length of the song bit.

Also would have been better if they would have made the movie with input from Freddie but since that didn’t and couldn’t happen, they should have either tried much harder at representing reality or at least gloss over a lot more and focus on other things. The way it turned out in the film feels uninformed and offensive most of the time. They couldn’t even get the ring right that Freddie gave Mary. Were they given money by the diamond industry, for fuck’s sake?

The music was great though, at least they didn’t find a way to screw that up.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Still, Princess Mononoke would have been improved if there was a mech with a knife in it.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Knight_ wrote: »
    HTTYD 3 isn't out yet.

Pictionary is great if you play with a bunch of people who can't draw for shit. Used to play all the time with my family and it was a riot because everything was terrible.

Super Old Pictionary is great, whether you're artists are not, because they had a lot of words that everyone knew but were difficult to draw, like "penitentiary" or "tension". Yeah, anyone can draw a jail cell, but you ain't getting "penitentiary" without being clever, no matter if you're fucking Rembrandt.

The most recent version of Pictionary I played gimped all of the categories, got rid of any really tricky words, and then made a rule against using "sounds like" clues. So yeah, if the answer is "cow" and you can draw a fucking cow, you're set and the game is boring. The version of the game I have from like 1987 is still great, though.

TL;DR: Pictionary is great and Game Night is great.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    HTTYD 3 isn't out yet.

Oh I guess we're seeing it when it comes out then.

I'm good at movies!

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    CowShark wrote: »

*flips table*

Telestrations, which is like Pictionary plus Telephone (plus alcohol, if you're doing it right).

Or Codenames, which is Pictionary for people who can't draw.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    CowShark wrote: »

*flips table*

Telestrations, which is like Pictionary plus Telephone (plus alcohol, if you're doing it right).

Or Codenames, which is Pictionary for people who can't draw.

Telestrations (if that's what I'm thinking of) is amazingly fun. If you are playing with proper and good people the time from start to vulgar sex jokes is like 1-2 passes. By the time it's moved on to the 3rd person to draw, someone is sketching a dick.

shryke on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If artists play pictionairy do the pencillers have to play first?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    In other news, I can’t link directly to it but there is now a Kickstarter up asking for $4000 to digitally erase the rat from the end of The Departed. The explanation of why they need $4000 is worth the google by itself.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    In other news, I can’t link directly to it but there is now a Kickstarter up asking for $4000 to digitally erase the rat from the end of The Departed. The explanation of why they need $4000 is worth the google by itself.

At least he itemized every expense.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

*flips table*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ugmWKTRxo

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Don't play Pictionary with a bunch of artists. The only way anyone loses is with really obscure words and concepts that no one knows.

Try out Telestrations or something similar. It becomes fun again...especially because there's always a person or two who like throwing things off of the rails.

Edit: I am the last in a long line of this recommendation. On topic, is HTTYD 3 going to be good? The first one was fun, but the second one was a little blah.

Toothy on
  • Options
    Toothy wrote: »

Try out Telestrations or something similar. It becomes fun again...especially because there's always a person or two who like throwing things off of the rails.

Edit: I am the last in a long line of this recommendation. On topic, is HTTYD 3 going to be good? The first one was fun, but the second one was a little blah.

fortunately we've found a great team building game at the office that people actuality find fun to play: Magic the Gathering

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

One of my favorite movie lines ever is the simple exasperated utterance from the one perpetually Boston actor before the other perpetually Boston actor shoots him in the face

• Options
    Professional rotoing compositing and remastering

4000 makes sense

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

I recently rewatched Princess Mononoke and god dam that movie still bangs

Also who didn't have a crush on Lady Eboshi

o-or the forest spirit

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    o-or the forest spirit
    he has a good head on his shoulders

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Eddy wrote: »
    o-or the forest spirit
    he has a good head on his shoulders

I liked Moro, she's always ready to lend a hand.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.