As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: New trailer, still no release date

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I just hope that Silksong isn't harder than Hollow Knight was. Already near the end it was getting a bit too much for me, and the DLC became actually impossible for my skill level + patience.

I don't like boss fights anymore, basically. Just give me exploration.

Going by the snippets of combat in the trailer, it seems like Hornet is already going to be faster and more versatile than the Little Knight. She's got those directional lunges, the grappling, all those sub-weapons... it may be that the enemies are just as difficult as the previous game, but the player will have more options for dealing with them.

I did like all the boss fights in all the DLC, but the higher end versions in Godmaster, and the 'kill them without dying' mode was just beyond what I can do. I wouldn't be sorry if 'Hitless' modes weren't official game modes.

H9f4bVe.png
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've already accepted that some of those achievements are just not ever happening for me.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Oh my god

Late-ish game Zote spoiler
    I just found the Grey Prince Zote fight.

This is amaziiiing

Steam: Spawnbroker
    I've been running around today doing all the areas and bosses I missed in my initial run.

Pretty sure I just spent 3 hours on the colosseum.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So at the direction of someone in the steam thread, i played through ori and the blind forest first because they said it was shorter. And now that that is done, its time to hop into hollow knight. How fucked am i?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    So at the direction of someone in the steam thread, i played through ori and the blind forest first because they said it was shorter. And now that that is done, its time to hop into hollow knight. How fucked am i?

If you could get past the controls of Ori, you'll be fine.

Ori is one of three games I've ever returned on steam

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    For real? I thought it was so smooth and had a good button layout. I did play it on my xb1 controller though. I had heard hollow knights controls were the finnicky ones.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ori is amazing on a controller and actual torture on KBAM. Hollow Knight is iffy on KBAM but pretty good on controller.

Oh I see

this game is Super Meat Boy now

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ori gameplay seemed to me to have more of an emphasis on platforming and jumping puzzles, while Hollow Knight is more combat and exploration focused. For the most part. Until the part Spawnbroker's talking about. I've only watched Ori gameplay though, that's just my impression of it.

But I think they're different enough that they offer different gaming experiences.

H9f4bVe.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh I see

this game is Super Meat Boy now

Ori was called Super Meatroid here.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Woo, beat the game.
    I got lucky on my last pull to be honest, Radiance decided to spam the laser attack at the end. Standing under it, barely moving to dodge, and upslashing let me pump a ton of damage out in a short amount of time.

It took me about an hour, I'm starting to think I'm bad at 2D games. Though I probably made it harder on myself, going in with 6 max health because I missed so many upgrades...

I'm only at 79% completion, so I'll probably put more time in...at the very least I'd want to track down and beat whatever bosses I've missed.

Kamar on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    For real? I thought it was so smooth and had a good button layout. I did play it on my xb1 controller though. I had heard hollow knights controls were the finnicky ones.

I have some logitech controller. I hesitate to blame it as any other game I use it for is great. Hollow Knight controls fine imo. It's very very difficult, but not because of how it plays if that makes any sense

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ori is too floaty. It doesn't feel good to jump and platform.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    There is so much stuff I would never have found without using the wiki. I think I was at 74% or so when I got the first "bad" ending, and I managed to get to the second "bad" ending yesterday with 89% after extensive use of the wiki. I know how to get the true ending, but I want to get everything in the base game first before I do.

The difficulty of the fights and areas also skyrockets when doing the extra stuff. I remember everything in the base game being relatively easy, but anything to do with getting the true endings got exponentially harder. Looking at you, Soul Tyrant!

Soul Tyrant is actually where I started my last session, since I was collecting essence to go to the palace. Going at him fresh, I one-shot him and didn't ever feel threatened.

Which felt odd, since I struggled against him for a loooong time at the end of my previous session before quitting.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

I fought the

end game spoilers
    Traitor Lord last night and while it wasn't as hard to avoid damage as Grey Prince Zote the fight was really long, he had a lot of health and because his attacks do two damage it felt like there was very little room for error. If this is the level of difficulty of all the optional late game fights then it seems like it's going to be a hard couple of hours

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I fought the

end game spoilers
    Traitor Lord last night and while it wasn't as hard to avoid damage as Grey Prince Zote the fight was really long, he had a lot of health and because his attacks do two damage it felt like there was very little room for error. If this is the level of difficulty of all the optional late game fights then it seems like it's going to be a hard couple of hours

That boss used to be a joke and they beefed it up in one of the patches. I think maybe they swung a little too far in the other direction. It's one of the hardest non-optional bosses now.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I fought the

end game spoilers

That boss used to be a joke and they beefed it up in one of the patches. I think maybe they swung a little too far in the other direction. It's one of the hardest non-optional bosses now.
    I think they balanced it assuming you had Cloth there.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    I didn't have too much trouble with that one. It felt fast but consistent, so you get in the groove and it's awesome.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I found that boss less frustrating than the freaking *trek* that was getting to him past like four screens of spikes everytime

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Got back into this game again after watching the Silksong trailer. I was worried I would have trouble adjusting back in where I was, but think I'm pretty good after an additional 8 hours. Doing the Grimm Troupe and the end choice is difficult.
    I really feel like I should banish him, but I love my new fire spewing son. Also I had some trouble with standard Grimm at first, so I could see NKG wrecking me.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Iblis wrote: »
    Got back into this game again after watching the Silksong trailer. I was worried I would have trouble adjusting back in where I was, but think I'm pretty good after an additional 8 hours. Doing the Grimm Troupe and the end choice is difficult.
    I really feel like I should banish him, but I love my new fire spewing son. Also I had some trouble with standard Grimm at first, so I could see NKG wrecking me.
    I'm pretty sure you can try your luck fighting him, then banish him so long as you don't actually win.

But yeah, expect to get wrecked.

Road Block on
    Road Block wrote: »
    Iblis wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can try your luck fighting him, then banish him so long as you don't actually win.

But yeah, expect to get wrecked.
    Ah, okay. I had just talked to Brumm about banishing him and checked out the rewards. I'll have to grab the other flames and get my face smashed in and see how I feel then.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    My solution for the first grim fight was a tactical suicide build. I smacked him in the face mid bow, then stood underneath him and shrieked angrily in his face exactly enough times to kill him. (This is not a very good solution to actually learning the fight, but it WAS funny)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Nightmare King is one of those fights that's actually really hard, but learning his patterns and getting good at reacting to each thing he can do feels really good.

• RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    The Nightmare King fight is a dance, and Grimm wants you to follow. At first you can't--it's completely foreign. But look closely and you'll see when he pushes you away and when he draws you in. Each cue has a clear response, and from there it's just a matter of refinement and execution.

I love how the fight achieves this both narratively and mechanically. There's no tricky platforming, and very little RNG (maybe none) within a single attack. It's absolutely one of the top fights in the game.

Godmaster:
    I feel the same way about Sisters of Battle (and to a lesser extent, the Nailmasters), which feel similarly intense-but-choreographed.

All this in contrast to, say, Markoth and Absolute Radiance, which are merely hard and frustrating.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sorry, was that soul spent restoring three masks midair?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Markoth is why I couldn't finish the third pantheon

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    PLA wrote: »
    Sorry, was that soul spent restoring three masks midair?

thread, really.

But yes.

Almost at 100%, I'll be heading into the DLCs soon I think. Grimm Troupe looks fun, but Godmaster is intimidating with those boss rushes.

I might go ahead and beat Radiance before I do the DLCs, not sure yet. Are there any items in the DLC that make the fight easier?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Almost at 100%, I'll be heading into the DLCs soon I think. Grimm Troupe looks fun, but Godmaster is intimidating with those boss rushes.

I might go ahead and beat Radiance before I do the DLCs, not sure yet. Are there any items in the DLC that make the fight easier?

I dunno about easier but in Grimm's you can get unbreakable versions of the Fragile charms (for like, a shit load of Geo).

Grimm was a fun boss fight and I tried out Nightmare King Grimm a couple times. He is nuts, still super fun though.

I can think of one thing from Grimm that emphasises convenience in fights.

I wonder how good a totally minion-focused charm build could be.

Grimmchild, Weaversong, Grubsong, Glowing Womb, Defender’s Crest, Unbreakable Strength.

Grubsong and Weaversong together make the spiders generate Soul, for the womb minions.

It trivialises some content.

It's fun, that's for sure. Throw in Dream Shield instead for extra minion-y goodness. There'll be so much shit floating around.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited February 2019
    Trying out NKG now. I've learned how to deal with almost all of his moves except for his dash into shoryuken into fireball rain. That one is fucking me up something fierce. I tried dashing through his dash, but if I fuck up the timing at all he backpeddles and I smack into his face. If I try jumping he just shoryukens, and then probably catches me with a fireball too for half my life. I've found success in dashing away, but sometimes he does it in an area where I simply don't have anywhere to go. So I guess I might need to insta-jump into dash to clear his head and i-frame through his shoryuken maybe?

Edit: Complaining on the forums worked. I now figured out the timing to jump over it and boop him on the snoot for his trouble. Actually just nearly beat him after figuring that one out, but was at one mask and eventually slipped up.

Iblis on
    edited February 2019
    so i finished the game no walkthrus, got the bad ending. I worked out how to get to the
    white palace, but when i saw that I would need more than 700 dream essence i decided I couldn't be bothered. I finished the game without finding the beehive, the grim troupe, the boss of the sewers, the collector, the grey mourner quest, the cloth quest, or beating that evil platforming section in the green gardens. I tried it at the start of the game but never went back with more movement abilities.

Even with missing all that content, this is a huge game. This is one of the most impressive games I've played in a long time. Every area is interesting, fun and atmospheric. I don't think I've ever played such a large game that didn't have any weak sections before.

EDIT: and more googling tells me i actually missed even more than what I listed here. Big game is big.

DodgeBlan on

I also re-read the thread and there are so many great moments in the game, one that I haven't seen mentioned but really got me

soul sanctum spoilers
    I've seen a million boss death fakeouts in my time but never a

you absorbed the boss and got his ability!

oh no

oh no wait

he doesn't like being absorbed, you have to kill him some more

Miyazaki would be proud. Truly a From Software level fakeout

It totally threw me for a loop and I didn't recover until i was dead