As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    I don't take selfies or video chat, but I use the front camera to look at myself like a mirror sometimes.

Oh yeah, I use the front facing camera on my with phone to look behind TVs all the time!
    When my nephew was younger (like...less than two years old) I'd use the front camera to verify that he had fallen asleep instead of moving and disturbing him if he hadn't already passed out. Then came the challenge of moving without waking him up.

Personally I do use it like an inspection mirror instead of as a camera aside from the odd video call. I'm 35, probably too old for selfies :P

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    My 68 year old MIL FaceTimes her bf and others in the family arguably more than just using it like a regular phone.

If we're discussing niches, I've been wanting a phone without any cameras at all for a while. The work travel I do involves places that strictly forbid cameras of any form, unless you go through the media office. I would love to have that as an option; which is one of the reasons I was hoping Project Ara would take hold. Having the option to remove the cameras and still have a functioning phone (without using a third party to crack open the phone) would be great.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Ok, my Moto Droid Z is doing OK except the battery starting to seriously tank lately.
    Verizon will give me $45 for trade in and they have the Pixel 3 and 3XL on sale. Should I go for that or wait for Moto G7?
    Assuming it will be available from Verizon, but don't think thats been advertised.
    If Pixel, is the 3 fine? I find the Droid almost too big but understand it can vary based on style and design and not pure size.

• Options
    Verizon has the Pixels for showroom demo at BestBuy, if you can get to one easily. I found the hand feel of the Pixel 3 better than the 3XL but I have Presidential hands.

I have a podcast queued up discussing the G7 but haven't listened yet so I have no thoughts yet, there.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Listen to it at 20x speed! :)

CNet and other sites seem positive on it, at least. I like my older Moto aside from the bloatware; it's solid hardware.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Ok, my Moto Droid Z is doing OK except the battery starting to seriously tank lately.
    Verizon will give me $45 for trade in and they have the Pixel 3 and 3XL on sale. Should I go for that or wait for Moto G7?
    Assuming it will be available from Verizon, but don't think thats been advertised.
    If Pixel, is the 3 fine? I find the Droid almost too big but understand it can vary based on style and design and not pure size.

the Pixel 3 and the Moto G7 are two *very* different devices. The Pixel 3 is a $700 flagship phone, while the Moto G7 is going to be a roughly $250 budget phone.

That's like trying to pick between a Honda Civic and a BMW 7 series.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Somewhere along the line my phone (V30) seems to have lost the ability to create a blank home screen. Unless I'm forgetting something.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hold down anywhere on a blank spot on the screen and scroll over, hit the + in the middle?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

the Pixel 3 and the Moto G7 are two *very* different devices. The Pixel 3 is a $700 flagship phone, while the Moto G7 is going to be a roughly $250 budget phone.

That's like trying to pick between a Honda Civic and a BMW 7 series.

(Podcast) verdict on the G7 is it's great for its price point, but it's still got a lower-end processor/SOC (SD 638 I think?) and not a great screen. All of the different SKUs don't help it much, either.

• Options
    Thanks!
    I wish they'd cut it out with those multiple SKUs, though that seems to be the trend. At least make each physically unique with a bigger screen and/or different materials.

Sounds like the G7 might not be as big of upgrade from the Droid Z as I hoped, despite being 3 years old.

• Options
    Thanks!
    I wish they'd cut it out with those multiple SKUs, though that seems to be the trend. At least make each physically unique with a bigger screen and/or different materials.

Sounds like the G7 might not be as big of upgrade from the Droid Z as I hoped, despite being 3 years old.

yea, again your droid z was a flagship phone from 3+ years ago. So the G7 still isn't really an "upgrade." Again, using the same analogy, that'd be like going from a 7 year old BMW 7 series to a brand new Honda Civic. That doesn't mean it won't suit your needs, it just means that the G7 isn't a flagship style phone.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ndsqohglyyqf.png
    You people keep costing me money.....

• Options
    Hold down anywhere on a blank spot on the screen and scroll over, hit the + in the middle?

Yeah, there's no +. Nothing in home screen settings, either. I can create a new home screen by dragging an app/widget off the side of the existing ones and placing it there. But as soon as I remove that app, the new home screen disappears altogether.

I saw a thing somewhere that there's a blank widget you can get for exactly this. But I'm not that desperate. It just seems like a peculiarity of the phone. Now I think about it, I might be misremembering the blank one I had on my LG G4 and thinking it was on this phone when it wasn't.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i think if you make the main home screen blank it sticks around

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    It should depend on what launcher you use. Nova will definitely let you make blank homescreens. Plus it is pretty baller all around.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Stock LG launcher, 'cos honestly I like it. I have Nova for when I feel like a change, though.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Finally switched carriers to T-Mobile, after... 12 years? on AT&T. Which also meant it was time to get a new phone to replace my aging, decrepit Samsung S8+.

I ended up weighing my options:

S9+/Note 9, Pixel 3XL, Razer Phone 2, OnePlus 6T.

First I ruled out the Samsung phones because I am fucking done with Samsung's horrid OS tweaks. It was alright. I survived 2 years, but man, I never want to go back to a Samsung phone again.

Next I ruled out the Razer Phone 2. Despite the fact that it would be by far the cheapest option for me, and the screen really is fantastic, it's just a little too gaudy for me, and I don't care for their fingerprint reader implementation (not that it's necessarily worse than the S8+, but still...)

It came down to the fact that I could get a OnePlus 6T on the spot at the T-Mobile store for something like $320 cheaper than the Pixel 3 XL (which I'd have to wait a couple of days for). Neither have headphone jacks, so that's a wash. Neither have SD card slots so that's another wash. The Pixel 3 would have been an additional $100 more if I went for the necessary 128GB. The OnePlus 6T doesn't have wireless charging and thats... Probably the biggest bummer about it.

At the end of the day, wireless charging and a better camera just wasn't worth $420. I got burned spending $800 on this Samsung and I have no desire to drop that much on a phone again if I'm not 100% sure it's perfect.

So, I love the 6T so far. The notch is SO much nicer than the Pixel 3 XL's. I actually don't mind it at all. The size is fantastic. Slightly bigger screen in essentially the same size phone as the S8+, which is great. The display looks fantastic. Maybe slightly worse than the S8+, but the quality of the display was by far that phone's best feature, so I wasn't expecting OnePlus to top Samsung at half the price. It's close, though, for sure. The camera's also very solid. Not as nice as the Pixel 3XL, but again -- close. It also works with the Google Camera app and the night sight mode is every bit as incredible as it is on the actual Pixel phone. OxygenOS is a breath of fresh air (har har) compared to Samsung's skin on Android. The OnePlus launcher is also the first launcher than hasn't made me immediately install Nova Launcher, so that's great, too. The only thing I really miss is app folders in the app list, but the hidden app drawer is a decent substitute for at least hiding away wallpaper and icon apps.

Other pluses: It's fast as fuck. Like, stunningly fast. Compared to the S8+, and compared to the Pixel 3 XL even. It makes me realize what a dog the S8+ had become over the last couple of years, even after a factory restore fairly recently. The slider switch is also great. Being able to flick a physical mute switch is one thing I've REALLY missed from Apple. OnePlus's interface design for the switch and volume level/output is also really good. OnePlus's Dash charging is also stuuuupid fast. Between than and the absolutely insane battery life, it almost makes up for a lack of wireless charging. No, really, the battery life is CRAZY. My S8+ as of last week was getting about 3 hours and change of screen-on time before it was totally dead. I couldn't make it much past lunch without topping off the S8+ during the day. If I didn't touch the phone all day I might still have like 30% remaining when I left the office, but 45 minutes of Spotify on the drive home would kill it.

I took the 6T off the charger this morning at around 8:00am and used it a ton today. And at 11:45pm tonight I've still got 24% left on the battery with 8 goddamn hours of screen-on time today. WHAT.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Small battery tip, don't charge your phone to 100%. You'll burn far more lifespan off the battery charging it to 100% than charging it to 80%, and with dash charge charging overnight is unnecessary, so you just put it on in the morning for 15 minutes before you leave.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Small battery tip, don't charge your phone to 100%. You'll burn far more lifespan off the battery charging it to 100% than charging it to 80%, and with dash charge charging overnight is unnecessary, so you just put it on in the morning for 15 minutes before you leave.
    Is this actually still true? For some reason I feel like I read somewhere that batteries are more intelligent now about charging and a lot of this happens under the hood. Also, it feels like such a hassle to me anyway.

• Options
    yea I love my OP3T. I got it like 5 years ago and its still awesome.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    shadowane wrote: »
    Is this actually still true? For some reason I feel like I read somewhere that batteries are more intelligent now about charging and a lot of this happens under the hood. Also, it feels like such a hassle to me anyway.

It's still true. Batteries are more intelligent, but the thing that still exists is that charging from 0 to 80% causes about 0.2 cycles of wear on the battery, it's going 80 to 100 that does the rest. Charging the last 20% of a li-ion battery is the most inefficient.

I actually don't charge my phone overnight anymore, unless I know I'm going to need it at full charge when I get up. I sit at a desk at work so I can top it up there when I need so it's not a big deal.

again, don't be afraid to charge to 100%. I do it when I need to. But if I don't need to, I don't.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

What @wunderbar said.

A charging cycle is the unit of measure used to measure the wear on a battery generated by charging it from 0-100%, once. However, the majority of that wear happens above 80%.

The part that batteries got more intelligent about was that they no longer benefit from being allowed to deep discharge to 0% - modern Li-Ion batteries do not have "memory" and thus do not need to be discharged completely to calibrate their capacity accurately. But they still experience wear and tear, and that wear and tear happens more quickly charging above 80%.

• Options
    @minor incident you'll be pleased to know that your experience with battery life isn't unique and is reliably that good even months down the line. Had mine since launch and it still gives me performance like this ;

3nto2w63zgsa.jpg

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I swear I should test phone battery life for a living. I absolutely crush batteries like nothing.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Samsung announces Galaxy Fold, a 4.6" phone on the outside, unfolding to a 7.3" tablet inside. 12GB RAM, 512GB storage, six cameras, and a $1,980 pricetag.

Jazz on
  • Options
    At that price it may as well not even exist. But I'm excited to see what it leads to in 4-5 years.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I think the killer form factor for foldable phones will not be them folding out larger to make a pseudo tablet (for, among other things, most apps being designed not for tablet sizes or aspect ratios), but a normal 5-6" size phone that folds in half to make a compact little square in your pocket.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I think the killer form factor for foldable phones will not be them folding out larger to make a pseudo tablet (for, among other things, most apps being designed not for tablet sizes or aspect ratios), but a normal 5-6" size phone that folds in half to make a compact little square in your pocket.

I just want the weird little makeup compact smartphone thing from It Follows.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    At that price it may as well not even exist. But I'm excited to see what it leads to in 4-5 years.

Press and people attending the event were laughing and mocking at the device price as it was announced. The concept is cool, but the reality of the specs leave little to be desired over the S10+ and other top tier Android devices.

What Samsung should have done is included S pen support and released it as a premium Galaxy Note 10 model 6 months down the line, could see way more USP's if it was announced then.

• Options
    eh, the price makes the Fold a non starter, but in 5 years, that'll be one of the mainstream flagship options.

No one should buy this, but Samsung needs to get this into at least a few people's hands to get the metrics on how people actually use it so they can refine and make the product and technology better. That's why this product exists. It's not supposed to be mainstream.

• Options
    eh, the price makes the Fold a non starter, but in 5 years, that'll be one of the mainstream flagship options.

No one should buy this, but Samsung needs to get this into at least a few people's hands to get the metrics on how people actually use it so they can refine and make the product and technology better. That's why this product exists. It's not supposed to be mainstream.

I could see it being ok if it actually was a flagship level phone and a flagship level tablet, but I doubt that.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ive said it elsewhere on the forum... but the real trick for a folding phone that would win everyone over is if it unfolded was the size of a galaxy note on an iPhone Xs Max, but folded in half in such a way as to protect the screen and make a tight little square ala the GBA SP that you can fit in any pocket. Put a lightweight low power notification and interaction screen on one side of the closed device, camera on the other so you can QUICKLY use it as a camera from the closed state (or see who is calling you ala the flip phones of old), and you are done. That is a folding device I would pay a shitload of money for.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ive said it elsewhere on the forum... but the real trick for a folding phone that would win everyone over is if it unfolded was the size of a galaxy note on an iPhone Xs Max, but folded in half in such a way as to protect the screen and make a tight little square ala the GBA SP that you can fit in any pocket. Put a lightweight low power notification and interaction screen on one side of the closed device, camera on the other so you can QUICKLY use it as a camera from the closed state (or see who is calling you ala the flip phones of old), and you are done. That is a folding device I would pay a shitload of money for.

eh, like everything that may be what you want, but what i want is almost exactly what the Galaxy Fold actually is. I want to eliminate a device from my life and having an elegant device that functions as a phone and a tablet would change a lot of how I do things.

But, I suspect that over time we'll get both types of devices.

• Options

I don't think it's just the price right now that makes this even less than a proof of concept.

Having essentially 2x phone bodies and during the demonstration didn't exactly show grace when he put the phone in his pocket most likely a heavy device. Add 2x batteries generating a lot of heat puts this away from any practicality outside of show off device. If it was pushed with Pen support I could see this exact device become the replacement PDA pro business manager device.

The whole thing screams Samsung who's scattershot approach to any concept idea getting everything on the market and see what sells seems like a Nobel idea but, this approach also kills off potential new ideas from being refined down the line.

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I don't think it's just the price right now that makes this even less than a proof of concept.

Having essentially 2x phone bodies and during the demonstration didn't exactly show grace when he put the phone in his pocket most likely a heavy device. Add 2x batteries generating a lot of heat puts this away from any practicality outside of show off device. If it was pushed with Pen support I could see this exact device become the replacement PDA pro business manager device.

The whole thing screams Samsung who's scattershot approach to any concept idea getting everything on the market and see what sells seems like a Nobel idea but, this approach also kills off potential new ideas from being refined down the line.

eh, they have a long (for the phone business) history of throwing things at the wall and seeing what stuck, or refining the technology. Look at the edge screen. that stated off as a near completely useless Note Edge that had a single edge on one screen. Almost no one bought that phone because that was stupid. But those that did informed future decisions, and also the technology.

Or go all the way back to the G1, the first android phone. That phone was also largely a proof of concept device. It was thick and clunky, and had a shitty mechanism and keyboard (and amusingly no headphone jack) but we don't have the Pixel 3 and Galaxy S10 without that phone.

You have to start somewhere.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

eh, they have a long (for the phone business) history of throwing things at the wall and seeing what stuck, or refining the technology. Look at the edge screen. that stated off as a near completely useless Note Edge that had a single edge on one screen. Almost no one bought that phone because that was stupid. But those that did informed future decisions, and also the technology.

Or go all the way back to the G1, the first android phone. That phone was also largely a proof of concept device. It was thick and clunky, and had a shitty mechanism and keyboard (and amusingly no headphone jack) but we don't have the Pixel 3 and Galaxy S10 without that phone.

FWIW, I kinda hate how the edge screen makes it exponentially harder to get a good screen protector

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019

The Galaxy Note Edge was extremely successful limited release device that sold through over 60% of its entire stock in the first month worldwide. Devices like that are not the issue for Samsung, I'm more talking about devices like the Galaxy K Zoom or Galaxy Beam or even the W2016 that were products with great ideas that were so utterly messed up in execution by Samsung that it's killed off any future development of these ideas from any manufacturer.

You could even look at the poor execution from LG and Motorola devices were what was most likely the final nail in the coffin in Googles own project Ara modular smartphones.

Edit* Just seen some more images of the fold, and the thing doesn't even fold flat and creates a triangular gap of around 1 cm. For a thing to be proof of concept in folding phone, I'd expect it to at least fold flat.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Speaking of Samsung, they're going to finally allow the Bixby button to be remapped in Pie. About fucking time.

• Options
    Speaking of Samsung, they're going to finally allow the Bixby button to be remapped in Pie. About fucking time.

hahaha, of course, right after I finally bail on Samsung.

• Options
    Sony showed off the Xperia 1 today and it looks nice. 21:9 aspect ratio with no bottom bezel and a tall top bezel for the cameras. Better than a notch!