As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    The thing that gets me is that Graham has previously spoken out about mass deportation fucking over his state's agriculture industry. Crops rotting and such.

What the fuck is this guy's position on immigration reform anymore?

Edit - To emphasize the sudden about-face here, he was saying that stuff like a year or two ago.

Whatever the leader of he Republican Party says it is.
    I mean I guess McConnell is still willing to fight for the wall without resorting to a shutdown.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    IDK, this seems like Graham basically being the opportunistic careerist he's always been.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Garbage person, is a garbage person, is a garbage person.

CBS Face the Nation: When asked about military construction projects that could be cut, including a middle school in Kentucky, @LindseyGrahamSC says, “I would say it's better for the middle school kids in Kentucky to have a secure border...right now we've got a national emergency on our hands.”

Yes. This is where we are.

National Emergency Declaration is polling worse than the Shutdown for the Republicans.
    Republican Lindsey Graham confronted with the possibility that a community in the Red State of Kentucky could have construction of its new middle school cancelled because of said Declaration.
    The response on live, national television is "Those kids are better off, without a school."

Betsy DeVos has publicly stated she thinks school should no longer be mandatory and that they do away with child labor laws.

This is just another step of the Lindsey Graham No-Shame Tour where he's continually realizing "Trump is being shitty and saying the quiet parts out loud! Wait, he's getting away with being shitty and saying the quiet parts out loud! Fuck it!"

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Maybe it's because I didn't really follow Graham's career prior to recently, but his arc the past couple years has been fascinating. Starting at one pole within the party and making it all the way to the other extreme has been crazy to see, if only for its brazen disregard for dignity and credibility.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Graham knows he can be any variety of Republican cruel because he'll keep getting voted in. The man was preceded by Strom Thurmond. The people of SC were so perfectly fine with unabashed racism, they gave him 47 years in the Senate.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

CBS Face the Nation: When asked about military construction projects that could be cut, including a middle school in Kentucky, @LindseyGrahamSC says, “I would say it's better for the middle school kids in Kentucky to have a secure border...right now we've got a national emergency on our hands.”

National Emergency Declaration is polling worse than the Shutdown for the Republicans.
    Republican Lindsey Graham confronted with the possibility that a community in the Red State of Kentucky could have construction of its new middle school cancelled because of said Declaration.
    The response on live, national television is "Those kids are better off, without a school."

Betsy DeVos has publicly stated she thinks school should no longer be mandatory and that they do away with child labor laws.

This is just another step of the Lindsey Graham No-Shame Tour where he's continually realizing "Trump is being shitty and saying the quiet parts out loud! Wait, he's getting away with being shitty and saying the quiet parts out loud! Fuck it!"

They... they really do think of poor people as chattel, don't they? :bigfrown:

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Calica wrote: »

I mean

For how many years now has her brother been gunning for a post as Viceroy of Afghanistan in a neo-colonial set up where he's basically overseeing it as mercenary warlord?

They're aristocrats, and in their minds their "lessers" are meant to serve them and not have ideas above their stations.

EDIT: Also Viceroy isn't a joke that's legit what he suggested
    But this is not just an argument between warring elements within the administration. Plans to privatize the war proposed by two businessmen with ties to the White House have become a linchpin of the debate. Prince is proposing to send private contractors to Afghanistan instead of U.S. troops, and have the entire operation overseen by a “viceroy.” The billionaire investor Stephen Feinberg has also submitted a proposal using contractors. Both have met with top administration officials on the matter. Their involvement was first reported by The New York Times last month. In recent weeks, their lobbying effort has ramped up, as Trump signals he is nearing a decision. And Trump is said to favor using at least some of Prince and Feinberg’s proposals.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/afghanistan-camp-david/537324/

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

It really, really cannot be said enough that these people want to return us to a feudal system where they are the royalty and everyone else are vassals or slaves.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Javen wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I didn't really follow Graham's career prior to recently, but his arc the past couple years has been fascinating. Starting at one pole within the party and making it all the way to the other extreme has been crazy to see, if only for its brazen disregard for dignity and credibility.

Two years ago I felt like he was onboard and was a fake critic (like a planted ‘skeptic’ at a seance that experiences a ‘conversion’ to beleiving in the supernatural and is supposed to make the audience/marks think “If this guy is convinced it must be true”).

I stand by that today. Unlike, say, McCain or Romney, he’s consistently been with Trump when the chips are down, even when it didn’t make sense with his prior statements. He’s part of the con.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Graham is wherever the wind is blowing. The moment Trump loses his grip on power and the minds of conservative voters, he will always have been against him.

He is a real “Starscream” of a guy if you remember the old ‘80s Transformers cartoons.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Can we get a citation on that?

She's awful but I don't recall her being so explicitly so.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

She funds the "Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty", a right-wing "think-tank" that advocates for the abolition of minimum wage and child labor laws. They particularly want poor kids sent into mining jobs and claim that it would be "exciting" for them, because yeah, under dictionary terms I suppose risking life and limb every day would be exciting.

So unlike her brother Erik Prince who directly talks about becoming viceroy of Afghanistan, DeVos hasn't said it directly but via her proxies for deniability, but she absolutely funds it and promotes it.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

She funds the "Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty", a right-wing "think-tank" that advocates for the abolition of minimum wage and child labor laws. They particularly want poor kids sent into mining jobs and claim that it would be "exciting" for them, because yeah, under dictionary terms I suppose risking life and limb every day would be exciting.

So unlike her brother Erik Prince who directly talks about becoming viceroy of Afghanistan, DeVos hasn't said it directly but via her proxies for deniability, but she absolutely funds it and promotes it.

My bad. It has been awhile and there has been a stupid amount of awful shit to keep track of.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So... it appears the "lets pull $X out of the military budget" might not be strictly umm.... legal.

"Just in: Acting Sec of Defense Shanahan just told reporters he hasn’t determined if there is a military necessity for a border wall or how much money Defense will even spend. Shanahan said he hasn’t yet spoken to President Trump."

Meredith McGraw is a White House reporter for ABC.

Followed with sourcing by everyone's favorite spouse of a White House staffer...

"Under 10 U.S.C. § 2808(a), the SecDef must find that the border wall is a “military construction project[] ... that [is] necessary to support such use of the armed forces”“required” by the emergency declared by the President."

George Conway is the husband of (and still inexplicably married to) Kellyanne Conway, and is a lawyer and seemingly full time pain in the ass to the President.

Here's the full text of 10 U.S.C. § 2808(a).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/2808

Appears properly sourced and legit. For national emergency to use funding to be used for construction, it must meet a need by the military.

A rational administration would have looked into the legality of what they're wanting to do, before declaring they'll do it. But then again, a rational administration wouldn't be doing this in the first place.

EDIT: Added plain text copies of the text in the tweets.

MorganV on
  • Options
    If this thing fails before lawsuits can even happen.. I will laugh pretty hard. Pretty hard indeed

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    If this thing fails before lawsuits can even happen.. I will laugh pretty hard. Pretty hard indeed

Too late for me. I'm still laughing pretty hard from when I read the tweets, through posting the tweets, to now.

It's kinda hard to stop.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    NPR was talking about that this morning, that there needed to be military justification for the Defense Secretary to support this, and that it had to be reported to Congress. Given the timing of those tweets, I suspect that is what prompted NPR talking about it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So like secdef could just say "this is strategically stupid" and it'd be done?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Acting secdef.

Also seems like a real quick way to stop being acting secdef (which might well be a positive.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Acting secdef.

Also seems like a real quick way to stop being acting secdef (which might well be a positive.)

Well, I'd wager Trump would then fire the SecDef and then just run through them until he found a toadie who will let him do what he wants.

If Patrick M. Shanahan isn't already that toadie.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, it seems like it's hard for Boeing to make a profit off a wall, and way easier to make a profit if we buy a bushel of drones.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Acting secdef.

Well, I'd wager Trump would then fire the SecDef and then just run through them until he found a toadie who will let him do what he wants.

If he did, that would seriously undercut his emergency declaration, as well as give plenty of argument to the 25th being invoked. Of course, Trump is already calling people traitors for even discussing that topic.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Acting secdef.

I think the GOP would have a much harder time swallowing a Saturday Night Massacre in the Defense Department than in Justice.

Also anybody who gives in and toadies like that is basically telling every person who would be working for them that he isn't on their side. I'm not sure their would be a worse opening move from a manager. Especially for an organization like the military where every single person in it is well aware of how to work to rule to make your boss look incompetent.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Acting secdef.

Yep. This isn't anything more than the paperwork for his paperwork to work. It will hopefully allow better litigation against it all, but it is not a serious check against the President since the independence of his appointees isn't particularly strong nor something he cares about.

• Options
    Acting secdef.

I think the GOP would have a much harder time swallowing a Saturday Night Massacre in the Defense Department than in Justice.

Also anybody who gives in and toadies like that is basically telling every person who would be working for them that he isn't on their side. I'm not sure their would be a worse opening move from a manager. Especially for an organization like the military where every single person in it is well aware of how to work to rule to make your boss look incompetent.

Honestly, I think they'd be more tolerant of it. Cleaning out the Justice Department is Nixonion obstruction of justice. Cleaning out the DoD would just be Trump throwing a trantrum. They'd roll thier eyes and tut tut a bit, but a long as the I's are occasionally dotted and there's one or two crossed T's, they'll let it slide.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    It begins
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2019/02/18/states-file-federal-lawsuit-claiming-trumps-national-emergency-declaration-is-unconstitutional/?utm_term=.779a993ae2c7&tidr=a_breakingnews
    A coalition of 16 states went to federal court on Monday, seeking a preliminary injunction to thwart President Trump’s attempt to circumvent Congress and shuffle federal money to pay for a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, a court that has ruled against other Trump policies in the past.
    In addition to California, the states participating in the suit are Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon and Virginia. With the exception of Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R), the governors of the states are Democrats.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    It begins
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2019/02/18/states-file-federal-lawsuit-claiming-trumps-national-emergency-declaration-is-unconstitutional/?utm_term=.779a993ae2c7&tidr=a_breakingnews
    A coalition of 16 states went to federal court on Monday, seeking a preliminary injunction to thwart President Trump’s attempt to circumvent Congress and shuffle federal money to pay for a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, a court that has ruled against other Trump policies in the past.
    In addition to California, the states participating in the suit are Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon and Virginia. With the exception of Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R), the governors of the states are Democrats.

Wow, I'm surprised Washington isn't in there.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

My bad. It has been awhile and there has been a stupid amount of awful shit to keep track of.

No worries. Personally, I don't see much of a distance between "directly funds people to say things for her" and "says these things."

• Options
    Either way, she really shouldn't be in charge of our schools.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Either way, DeVos's qualifications to lead her Dept aren't on topic.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It begins

That's also, if my geography hasn't failed me, every state actually bordering Mexico except Texas?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It begins

That's also, if my geography hasn't failed me, every state actually bordering Mexico except Texas?

Oregon doesn't border Mexico but our AG is into, like, the rule of law and the separation of powers

The Washington AG is usually on board with this stuff so maybe just didn't get it together to make this initial finding and will join later.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It begins

Arizona

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    It begins

Arizona.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It begins

Arizona

Yup. Shows how often I look at a map :rotate:.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The worst part is if it were up to border communities, Texas would certainly be on that list, but Ken Paxton is a shit.

EDIT: I guess this is a governor action not AG, so Greg Abbott, but either-or, really.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    It begins

Oregon doesn't border Mexico but our AG is into, like, the rule of law and the separation of powers

The Washington AG is usually on board with this stuff so maybe just didn't get it together to make this initial finding and will join later.

Internally our AG is most likely going to have to be bringing suit against 13 sheriffs over gun laws, he's got a lot on his plate.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    House vote on the Declaration is Tuesday.
    DEMOCRATS IN THE U.S. House of Representatives are expected to file a resolution to block President Donald Trump's emergency declaration that he says would free up billions in federal funding for his long-promised border wall.

The resolution of disapproval led by Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro of Texas reads: "Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That, pursuant to section 2020 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622), the national emergency declared by the finding of the President on February 15, 2019, in Proclamation 9844 (84 Fed. Reg. 4949) is here-by terminated."

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-02-21/house-to-vote-on-resolution-to-block-trumps-emergency-declaration

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Too bad they couldn’t vote on it today and really fuck up Trump’s weekend.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Too bad they couldn’t vote on it today and really fuck up Trump’s weekend.

I take some comfort in that it will ruin up to 18 of Mitch McConnell's days after it passes the House.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.