As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    So today, there was employee drug testing that needed to be done. I was to monitor this. Before the urine sample is to be left, bluant (some blue liquid, which in this case was Ty-D-Bol) has to be added to the toilet to ensure that no one is cheating by adding extra liquid. Because the regular bottle is kinda messy to work with for a squirt each time, I had transferred the liquid to a regular spray bottle, for a quick and efficient squirt each time.

Now, there had not been drug testing for several months. Ty-D-Bol though shouldn't go bad, and it was a regular ol' squirt bottle. At no point did I even think, "What could go wrong?" because it's just assumed that a squeeze or two of the trigger will make it work just like all the other times before.

This all being said, I present a dramatic recreation of the events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU3-YzSVd_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yV3R0fj988

Tl;dr employee drug testing is bullshit.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Submitted project proposal for class. I wrote it, others read and we made some changes. No one noticed that I accidentally typed "I" once when I wrote a sentence.

TA returns feedback. First of three things: "You switch between we and I a lot, which says one of two things: you're copy-pasting from another assignment, in which case make sure to cite yourself; or only one person is doing the work -- did the other three read over the submission?"

Like damn dude. He makes it seem like I wrote "I" a lot but it was literally once, chill.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Talking to one of my classmates has me kind of agreeing with something my dad said to me: it's not really appropriate to have graduate student TAs for graduate level classes

One of the group members on this project is the TA for one of my other classes and grades my work

Nice guy, but still kinda weird

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I took the 538 quiz. Didn't screenshot my results, but I scored very close to 100 on agreeableness and openness to experience, high on the negativity one, and zero or very low on both extraversion and conscientiousness.

Which is kind of interesting, because while I've always been an introvert, I'm not that introverted; and I've always been told I'm conscientious and reliable. Except my life has been ever so slowly but steadily falling apart for roughly the past decade. I'm always expending just a tiny bit more energy than I can recover, day by day, week by week, and that shit builds up. I feel like I've been asymptotically approaching a complete breakdown for years, even with antidepressants and therapy.

I recently got diagnosed with ADHD (through sheer luck after stumbling across a Tumblr post, of all things), which explains an awful lot and gives me some hope of a way forward. But in the meantime, I'm nowhere near as reliable as I used to be, in any sphere of life; and I've been perpetually exhausted for at least the last three years (which means precious little energy for dealing with people).

Might be interesting to take the quiz again later, once medication and ADD-targeted therapy have had time to (hopefully) start helping, and see if my results change the way I think they will.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Was this the thread where we talked about being to young to get old?

I just leaned forward at my desk and now I have a pain below and under my shoulder blade...

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Have you checked to make sure you weren't just stabbed by an assassin?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I hate having multiple things pop up that are urgent right when you get in to work and a couple of them need troubleshooting because they don't work right.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Have you checked to make sure you weren't just stabbed by an assassin?

It really feels like it. Breathing deeply hurts and I can feel it in my teeth.

Already made a doctor's appointment for later today. Luckily he's literally 2 minutes away from my workplace.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Me and my wife have been stressing out for a few days after my wife saw her manager had meetings with her HR about her job position.

Her manager was also quite quiet for a few days so we were worried it was bad news about her contract.

Turns out HR had advertised my wife's maternity cover as a full time permanent job by accident and someone had applied. So her manager was unhappy with HR because it was a lot of faff to sort out.

Now we can relax ha.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I've never been happier to be at work today. No teachers, admins, or students, just catching up on stuff/working on project(s). And home life lately has gone very south.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Possible dump of snow tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    My wife finished her training as a library circ desk person. I'm pretty excited for her to be included in the library club!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it: "Hey, I'm really glad you finished your circ training. Because now you can" *flex muscles* "check this out."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Talking to one of my classmates has me kind of agreeing with something my dad said to me: it's not really appropriate to have graduate student TAs for graduate level classes

One of the group members on this project is the TA for one of my other classes and grades my work

Nice guy, but still kinda weird

Most profs aren't there because they want to teach, unless the uni does a really good job recruiting for those people. Which they don't, because they want profs that pull in grants/outside money, and teaching time generally doesn't do that. Not arguing it's good, just that it's a top down issue, as well as bottom up in the fact that the people at the top of their field generally just want to do more of whatever that field is, not teach people about it.
    At least in our program it's like pulling teeth to get most profs to teach a single lecture, much less a class. Which I get, there is always the next grant deadline, and when it's your and others livelihoods, well, that is more important.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Some of the best learnin' I did in grad school was thanks to grad student TA's, and I mean that in the positive way.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ohh ohh I just discovered the bowling alley in my town is looking for a Front Desk person part-time. I just applied via Indeed. God I hope they call me. I love bowling.

EDIT: Should I call them as well? Or just wait to hear back.

Goose! on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Subject lectured me on how to do my job and began cursing when i did not appreciate the lecture, complaining about my attitude

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my raise was about what i expected

2.5%

because i am "meets expectations" which is generally where i always am because i coast by on mediocrity

and i guess my pay was already on the high end of the pay band for this role

i need to stop being mediocre and be better

poo
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    They almost never check it, so he's probably safe.
    ... I guess the kind thing to do would be to remind him so he can delete it before they see it.

Screenshot it first, though ...

You know ... reasons.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I had to leave a meeting today to stop my finger bleeding after I'd cut it open on my beard.

I may need to start using beard oil again.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I had to leave a meeting today to stop my finger bleeding after I'd cut it open on my beard.

or stop growing a sword beard?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Applied for that IT position. Feeling really unfulfilled in my current role. I was hired to do fraud work and I do maybe 2 hours of that a day and then 6 of data entry/office manager work. Today I'm printing and collating and stapling paperwork for my boss to have someone go through looking for stuff. Me? No no. I just get to print and organize it.

Guy in our department put his two weeks in last week, he fully expected to start training me on stuff he does. Nope, they said they don't want me learning that kind of thing because its not where they want me.

Yeah time to work in another department

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Hmm. Yes, beard oil it is.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I searched all weekend for a trophy I could use for our video game tournament to no avail. Then I had the idea to ask one of our custodians. Turns out she had tons of old trophies and trophy parts stashed away and would regularly use them to make joke trophies to punk staff members.

Now I have a 2006 dance trophy. I'm going to clean it up, take the plaque off the front, and glue a Mario Amiibo to the top!

Winners will get to take their photo with the trophy and I'm going to make sign to keep next to it that lists all the winners.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

Hmm. Yes, beard oil it is.

Oiling your sword beard seems like a good idea, you don't want it to get rusty. The cuts would be alot worse.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Purchase a scabbard for your sword beard

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Purchase a scabbard for your sword beard

Like...a leather scarf?

Oh, wait. Probably more like a Hannibal Lector mask?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Did taxes this weekend and it was good news / irritating AF news.

Good : getting a bunch of money back! Awesome!

Irritating AF : That was not supposed to happen at all. Money is very tight now and I spent a lot of time calculating and formulating last year to make sure I was taking home as much as possible. I was nervous I was going to be hit with a bill.

So, hooray, but it really feels like we're at the mercy of the system and we just can't ever know how much we're going to get hit for.

• Options
    Subject lectured me on how to do my job and began cursing when i did not appreciate the lecture, complaining about my attitude

I'm assuming that said subject had just been told by you that he or she could not continue being where they were, doing what they were doing?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it: "Hey, I'm really glad you finished your circ training. Because now you can" *flex muscles* "check this out."

Update: Her eyes rolled so much.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Glad to hear everything went precisely according to plan.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm the only one in the household that is with wells fargo and I've only ever used my cell phone # with my account. Got a phone call from wells fargo on the house phone and I didn't answer because I couldn't find a phone but I'm worried some how they got the house # and called to schedule an interview for the other wells fargo position I applied for. Stressing me out.

Also trying to figure out what to wear to the in person teller position interview this Friday with a wells fargo branch I've interviewed with before. I wanna go in with a polo and slacks but I feel like I should wear a button up shirt and tie.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    University president sacked. We have no one in a President or VP position left at the university now.

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I'm the only one in the household that is with wells fargo and I've only ever used my cell phone # with my account. Got a phone call from wells fargo on the house phone and I didn't answer because I couldn't find a phone but I'm worried some how they got the house # and called to schedule an interview for the other wells fargo position I applied for. Stressing me out.

Also trying to figure out what to wear to the in person teller position interview this Friday with a wells fargo branch I've interviewed with before. I wanna go in with a polo and slacks but I feel like I should wear a button up shirt and tie.

It is practically impossible to overdress for a professional interview, comfort-be-damned. Wear the shirt and tie!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    University president sacked. We have no one in a President or VP position left at the university now.

Chaos is a ladder Enc.

CLIMB

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

what the shit? Was that expected from the fallout of the other stuff??

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

what the shit? Was that expected from the fallout of the other stuff??

Not expected, but part of it. Essentially the state legislature is pissed and is coming down hard on anyone still standing at the top of the ladder and, well, he was the only one left who hadn't been fired or hadn't retired and/or fled the state in a timely fashion.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Chaos is a ladder Enc.

CLIMB

~sits on the Throne of Dissertations~

NOW I AM KING OF UNIVERSITY.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I got a call at work today from a recruiter claiming it was a personal call and trying to headhunt me for a position at another practice.

A) I love where I work.
    B) apparently this is a common thing, they pretend to be a friend so they can get through to you??

That's dirty as hell. I never get personal calls, I panicked and thought it was bad news about my granny.

How could they ever think that's a good idea? Urgh.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    recruiters are like half a step above sales people in how slimebuckety they can act

but they help people get jobs and money so I give them at least a little bit of credit for that

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.