As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Totally Accurate Battle Sim (EA) out today!

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I went back to NMS twice when they did big updates. Neither update fixed my main problem with the game; the core gameplay loop is pointing a laser at rocks and constantly wrestling with your inventory to fit the things you need and the things you want, without much context for what's valuable now or later.

captaink on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I enjoyed NMS for a while because i like base building but then i burned out hard on it

NMS and Elite: Dangerous both fizzled out on me for the same reasons. At some point, I need a narrative reason, characters, or just some interesting backstory to discover to care about the world I'm playing in.

This is why out of the open world survival crafting games out there, I'm currently only interested in subnautica

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I think that's why Subnautica clicked for me when most base-building games don't. It gives you a very difficult and complicated goal from minute one, and the fact that you reach that goal by building fancy underwater habitats is an awesome bonus.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The way you recharge your laser by getting it to the maximum heat, pausing your firing, and letting it quickly reset the heat level instead of having to wait longer for it to fall from 90% to 0% always like a bug and never felt right despite, which was a problem when that is so much of the game.

Couscous on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    captaink wrote: »
    I went back to NMS twice when they did big updates. Neither update fixed my main problem with the game; the core gameplay loop is pointing a laser at rocks and constantly wrestling with your inventory to fit the things you need and the things you want, without much context for what's valuable now or later.

That's valid. Personally I enjoyed the near-pure-discovery nature of the game. You're just out there slowly figuring out what's worth working with and what isn't. Kind of like when I first started playing Minecraft. No recipe guides, just getting stuff and experimenting and learning for yourself what's worthwhile. Definitely not a style of play that's for everyone tho.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbOFo8q8HUk
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/988480/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar_Champions/
    Key Features:
    DISCOVER the WARHAMMER AGE OF SIGMAR universe as you’ve never seen before!
    CHOOSE from the GRAND ALLIANCES - Order, Chaos, Destruction and Death.
    PLAY DIGITAL cards or scan* PHYSICAL cards into your digital collection to play them for FREE!
    FAST, TACTICAL GAMEPLAY – easy to play, takes skill to master.
    CARDS with INGENIOUS ROTATING MECHANICS for damage and healing over time.
    COMMAND legendary Champions that form the backbone of your army.
    COMPLETE quests to unlock powerful blessings.
    BATTLE your opponents in an epic duel of strategy and skill.
    CONSTRUCT YOUR OWN MIGHTY DECK of cards to prove your might.

is a free to play version of the mobile Warhammer CCG

I have no idea if it's good

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I think that's why Subnautica clicked for me when most base-building games don't. It gives you a very difficult and complicated goal from minute one, and the fact that you reach that goal by building fancy underwater habitats is an awesome bonus.

I think I need to try this game sometime.

for now all my game time is going to be Civ 6 -> Division 2 when it releases. And truthfully I don't have much time to game until like,

...fuck...

weeks and weeks from now

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Age of Sigmar is a really interesting game, but I don't thing I can get down with a CCG model anymore, especially digitally

6F32U1X.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I think Subnautica might be my safest recommendation for a game that most people will love. I've finished it three times, and the last time was immediately following the second time just because I wanted more of it. I am extremely psyched for Below Zero.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Karl wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I enjoyed NMS for a while because i like base building but then i burned out hard on it

NMS and Elite: Dangerous both fizzled out on me for the same reasons. At some point, I need a narrative reason, characters, or just some interesting backstory to discover to care about the world I'm playing in.

This is why out of the open world survival crafting games out there, I'm currently only interested in subnautica

Subnautica is the gold standard for the genre, yeah. I've been playing around with The Long Dark's story mode, and it is another contender in its current incarnation now that they dropped the campaign's linearity and tried a deeper blend of story and the base survival game.

Phillishere on
    edited February 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I think Subnautica might be my safest recommendation for a game that most people will love. I've finished it three times, and the last time was immediately following the second time just because I wanted more of it. I am extremely psyched for Below Zero.

Subnautica is like playing one of those old Robert Heinlein young adult adventures. There's just enough story to make you invested in the world, the environment presents a steady challenge that makes sense in the game and the world (you need better ships to go deeper to explore to escape), and the crafting and collecting progresses quickly while still making a rough kind of intuitive sense within the world. Even when you don't know how to do something yet, you always have a good sense of what you need to do and where you need to go.

Phillishere on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Subnautica was such a dang treat

really excited about Below Zero

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I think I'm in the final chapter of FF15 and I feel like I missed a ton of the story somehow - I've got about 25 hours put into it, did I miss some important and plot relevant side quest?

whole game spoilers:
    Ignis is just.. blind now. Gladio disappeared for no reason and then shows back up and is an asshole the rest of the game, and they casually reveal Prompto is .. a robot? or something?

WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I think I'm in the final chapter of FF15 and I feel like I missed a ton of the story somehow - I've got about 25 hours put into it, did I miss some important and plot relevant side quest?

whole game spoilers:
    Ignis is just.. blind now. Gladio disappeared for no reason and then shows back up and is an asshole the rest of the game, and they casually reveal Prompto is .. a robot? or something?

That's where the DLC goes. Or would have gone.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the currently released DLC covers those plot points to some extent

Miss me? Find me on:

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Subnautica's plot isn't even complicated (well as far as I know)

It's "you crashed on this planet, now figure out a way to escape".

That's a compelling reason.

NMS doesn't interest me because it's "get to the centre of the galaxy because.....mystery?"

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    FFXV’s story is a disjointed train wreck kept afloat by a pretty strong central cast.

edited February 2019
    rhylith wrote: »
    FFXV’s story is a disjointed train wreck kept afloat by a pretty strong central cast.

It's a great game, really. It is just obvious that it is a great game developed on top of a pile of assets originally built for a different experience.

Phillishere on
    edited February 2019
    Karl wrote: »
    Subnautica's plot isn't even complicated (well as far as I know)

It's "you crashed on this planet, now figure out a way to escape".

That's a compelling reason.

NMS doesn't interest me because it's "get to the centre of the galaxy because.....mystery?"

Subnautica works well as a mystery game because the mysteries are the thing lying between you and a clear and understandable goal - getting off the planet and going home.

Phillishere on
    NMS is a super relaxing game for me partially because it gives me a bunch of vague threads to pull me through weird generated landscapes

no pressure, I just do shit and kinda enjoy the flow of things before coming to and realizing a few hours have passed

Miss me? Find me on:

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The generated landscapes in NMS were not weird enough for me

My biggest problem with the game was every time I landed on a planet I was just instantly bored

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    And then you go to another planet and see mostly the same creatures and plants.

edited February 2019
    I definitely don't play NMS for excitement

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The planet I started off on in NMS was, in hindsight, a shitty boring rock

It still felt special because I was seeing that stuff for the first time

Pretty much all I wanted from NMS was to explore new weird environments and see new animals, and that experience fell short inside of about an hour. I’ve gone back now and again because there have been various claims that they’ve fixed things, although honestly base building is the absolute last thing I wanted since I basically never want to go back to a place I’ve seen already. Each time I’ve been disappointed by the environments and the flora and fauna being just what I remember.

Oh also they should patch drones out of the game entirely, just accept that it was a design dead end and move on.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

they've fixed a lot of the issues, but yeah I fully admit that game has some dang problems

ardyn is a good villain though

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    remove the space cops and make the UI something other than straight up dogshit and NMS would actually be enjoyable

Maddoc wrote: »
    Oh also they should patch drones out of the game entirely, just accept that it was a design dead end and move on.

It's the element that keeps it from working as a pure chillout game for me.

edited February 2019
    PiptheFair wrote: »

they've fixed a lot of the issues, but yeah I fully admit that game has some dang problems

ardyn is a good villain though
    Ardyn is what happens when one of the kids from Omelas comes for payback.

Phillishere on
    the space cops suck a LOT

just let me mine in peace, dammit

Miss me? Find me on:

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I still don't understand how they broke the space cops in the NEXT update and it took months for them to fix it. They still don't work as well as before NEXT.

DarkPrimus on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    the developers behind Furi have just announced Haven, a romantic co-op smooch-em-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_cfzCD9ug
    Due next year, it’s an RPG that can be played solo or with a “special someone”, about a couple who have fled to an alien world to be together. There’s not much to see of it yet beyond some lovely, scenic screenshots and a short teaser trailer below, but I can’t deny that I’m digging the aesthetic, and hope to play this one with my significant other. Have a quick peek at the romantic alien landscapes below.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/19/furi-developers-announce-romantic-rpg-haven/

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    the space cops suck a LOT

just let me mine in peace, dammit

and you just know they're using the space minerals like five minutes later down at the sentinel station.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    After getting 100% in Resident Evil 2 and waiting for the free DLC to come out, I looked at my backlog and decided to play through Blazblue: Chronophantasma and Blazblue: Centralfiction.

I haven't done all the sidestory stuff in Centralfiction yet, but let me see if I've got a handle on the plot.

(Big spoilers)
    Okay, so the world was completely destroyed a long time ago, and the world of Blazblue is actually a dream, like FFX's Zanarkland.

This dream is because back before the world was destroyed, humanity discovered the Lifestream, and found God inside of it. However, once being observed, it was no longer God, but merely an object. Humanity couldn't enter the Lifestream themselves, so they built robot girls to go in and contact the God-object for them. Except then a robot girl connects to the God-object and essentially becomes God herself.

Humanity freaks the fuck out that their soulless robot girl now not only has a soul, but has become God, so they start a war with the robot girls. They get their asses kicked, so they caused the apocalypse, ending everything outside the Lifestream.

The lonely God-Robot girl then dreams up a new world where things continued, but her frame of reference and imagination was limited and things were relatively static and would loop back to the startpoint once the story reached a certain point.

Inside the dreamworld, humanity again discovers the Lifestream and creates new robot girls. Somehow, someone manages to create a robot girl that is an exact copy of the God-Robot girl, though who this was and how they did it is unknown. This robot girl has three "children" (two boys and a girl) though I don't know if they're biological children or clones or what.

Anyway, the copy gets destroyed and the kids end up being raised by a nun. Eventually a bad guy comes and kills the nun and kidnaps the daughter. One boy goes crazy and the other is badly injured and bonds with the Azure Grimoire to survive, which gives him a big connection to the Lifestream.

The bad guy tortures the hell out of the daughter he kidnapped, until the manifestation of Death emerges from the Lifestream and takes over her shattered mind. Later on, a new series of robot girls was being made based off the daughter.

However, the God-Robot's viewpoint has now become distorted and views the copies of her as herself. She wants her brother (the sane one) to come and rescue her, and so whenever he dies she rewinds time to the earliest point that he existed and then continues from there until he dies again.

However, due to time travel, the earliest point he existed is actually like 80 years before he was born. As a result, the time loop starts at 2100 when he appears in the past, and continues to the end of 2199 when he gets sent to the past.

During the loops, one of the events is a giant civil war that was started to cover the creation of a powerful robot girl, as they needed a ton of dead souls to create her. To stop this, some AI in charge of trying to manage the state of the world fires a giant space laser and turns that area into a crater. However, in one of the time loops this actually successfully creates the robot girl, and she wanders off with no memory. Due to the giant space laser, she's actually super charged, and contains the largest piece of the God's soul.

This new robot girl gets adopted, joins the military, and eventually saves the good brother from going back in time in 2199, finally breaking the loop and allowing time to progress to 2200.

The daughter-turned-Death incarnate is now ruler of the world, Gestahl-style, and the jackass that tortured her hangs around as her Kefka. Except he's actually a fake body that was created to house the soul of the "destroyer" counterpart of the God-object. His original being also became an object once observed, and is now a piece of armor that a time-displaced version of the crazy brother is wearing.

The bad guy's goal is to force God-Robot girl into the world so they can destroy her / everything. To do this, they set out causing events that the God-Robot girl would have to fix, but each time she has to fix them she moves closer in the Lifestream towards the world.

Finally, the bad guys win and the dreamworld is destroyed. However, a micro-dreamworld is created where the Chosen are pulled into it to compete. Whoever wins will essentially be the one who creates the new dreamworld.

The sane brother manages to figure everything out and realizes that if any one person's dream is the basis of the world, then it will be just as static and looping as the one they've been in. So he sets off to use his connection to the Lifestream to absorb everyone's dreams into himself. During the course of this, the robot girl that saved him in 2199 learns all the truth about her, and since she possess part of the same God-soul as the Death-incarnate-Sister, is able to merge with her.

Kefka-esque badguy kills the guy wearing his old body and starts wearing it himself, but gets beaten and ultimately destroyed within the Lifestream. Then the robot girl merges with the God-Robot Girl, and the brother takes her dreams as well. Then he enters the God-object and releases everyone's dreams to create the new world, so it would be a world of possibilities. He also erases himself from everyone's memory's to break the loop of reality not continuing if he wasn't there.

So in conclusion, Carl Clover is a complete asshole, that ran out of the credit that his tragic backstory bought him a long time ago.

Did I get it?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what I would really like a Darkest Dungeon sequel to be

I guess all new dungeons, all new enemies, all new classes, but that doesn't feel that different from just another expansion, as the game has defined them for itself thus far

And based on that trailer, the thing that I would want most (completely new/different classes) isn't going to be happening

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I don't know if I am more hyped or scared. I enjoyed the hell out of atmosphere of DD, but I cannot say if I consider it a GOOD game.

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular

I kinda wish the DLC's explaining all of the big plot holes were just built into the narrative after release, it'll feel disjointed going down a checklist of them.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Darkerest Dungeon

This discussion has been closed.