As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows both does and doesn't see all of my RAM

kimekime Queen of BladesRegistered User regular
edited February 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
I noticed this in the past..... couple months? Ish? I was seeing slowdowns during gaming and opened up Task Manager, and noticed that it was memory-constrained, apparently!

bl0jl1fdoisc.png

Sometimes depending on what's running, that'll change a bit, but it roughly looks like what you see now, which is: "I have 4 GB of RAM." Never seems to add up to more than that, and you can see that Task Manager sure thinks that's the max based on the % usage calculation.

Except I don't have 4 GB, I have 8 GB. Oh no! I think it's two 4-GB sticks, maybe one went bad!

Except... Windows otherwise seems to think I've got 8 GB?

System Information:
708mz2hmm8ec.png

Device Specifications:
ty6cz14xqaon.png

And it is a 64-bit processor/OS:
jnsu5dfcrhoa.png

So.... what gives? Could one of the sticks be bad or have been jostled out of position or something, but most of Windows still sees it? What other root cause could there be? I'm having trouble Googling anything, since it's not that Windows doesn't entirely see it, just can't... use it. Or something weird like that.

Edit: OK, so Task Manager is able to see 8 GB when I go into the performance tab:
wegw8rcwz7g6.png

No idea what's using that, though. Windows shouldn't be secretly using 2 GB of RAM, right?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
Steam profile
kime on

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Have you looked at the Memory tab in Resource Monitor?

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble understanding where you're getting the 4GB idea from -- everything you've posted is pretty consistently saying you're using somewhere around 6.5GB of RAM (give or take a few points in the different screenshots). Maybe you're just underestimating how much all of the smaller usage numbers really add up to in task manager?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Memory tab in Resource Monitor?

I think that was similar to the main Task Manager view, I'll check later.
    twmjr wrote: »
    I'm having trouble understanding where you're getting the 4GB idea from -- everything you've posted is pretty consistently saying you're using somewhere around 6.5GB of RAM (give or take a few points in the different screenshots). Maybe you're just underestimating how much all of the smaller usage numbers really add up to in task manager?

The first screenshot, which is the main thing Task Manager shows. The small numbers don't add up to much, I did a quick estimate of them.

Eh, may just be time to buy more RAM anyways. It just seems to have suddenly gotten worse, so was hoping I could find a culprit.

Steam profile
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Maybe a dumb question, but do you have a dedicated graphics card or are you using the integrated graphics processor in your CPU? That memory display looks like what I would expect to see in the second case.

• Options
    Maybe a dumb question, but do you have a dedicated graphics card or are you using the integrated graphics processor in your CPU? That memory display looks like what I would expect to see in the second case.

I have a dedicated graphics card. Monitors are hooked to to that, so I didn't accidentally stop using it or something :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    the first memory screenshot is not intended to represent the total of all your memory in use

As an example I have 16GB of memory and 35% is showing "Used" but if you add up all the processes it doesn't go more than about 3GB.
    I am not entirely sure how that % is calculated though I would suspect it takes into account all services, applications and anything else "reserved" for system tasks.

Regardless, your total memory is correctly calculated and applications will utilize as much ram as they can/need and other applications may adjust (i.e. if you run a fullscreen game windows will/may free up ram from other running programs where possible).

Also yeah, 16GB of ram isn't too pricey right now and well worth it :)

• Options
    "The % of RAused is not intended to represent the total of all memory in use" would definitely be an answer to my question. It sure does seem like an.... interesting UX decision from Microsoft, but OK...

Still curious what's using the rest of the memory, but maybe Windows just got bloated recently or something.

Steam profile
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    It's not bloat really.

To the OS, there's no good reason to have gigs of RAM sitting unused. It'll allocate it to low priority tasks like indexing and whatnot. If you fired up some other program that needed the RAM the OS would let it go to finish it's tasks some other time.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Microsoft indexing service from Windows 7+ got a lot of folks grumpy about constantly accessing the drive and occupying ram.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    It's not bloat really.

To the OS, there's no good reason to have gigs of RAM sitting unused. It'll allocate it to low priority tasks like indexing and whatnot. If you fired up some other program that needed the RAM the OS would let it go to finish it's tasks some other time.

When I have a program (a game typically) that is running slowly because of RAM constraints, the total RAM used from Task Manager stays the same. The game borrows from Chrome or whatever, but it doesn't have enough.

Something is using several gigs of RAM behind-the-scenes even when I need it. And it didn't used to be this way.

That's what I mean by bloated.

Steam profile
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    You might want to use https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap to take a look then, that should show everything.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Just a reminder here: no matter what tool you use, whether you use Task Manager or RAMMap, you need to:
    1) Run it using a local administrator account
    and
    2) Run it in the highest UAC privilege level available to you

IMO, the easiest way to do this is to start a parent privileged process, like Powershell or Command Prompt, and do all my admin work there.

Most of the time, if you right-click on Command Prompt, do "Run as another user" and then log in as a local admin, this satisfies both requirements 1 and 2.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    You might want to use https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap to take a look then, that should show everything.

Yeah, I dunno. It's only showing ~4 GB of RAM, added up everything. Still seeing slowdowns in the game, and still seeing that I'm actually using closer to 7 GB by most everything except the main Task Manager screen. Just nothing actually adds up to that.

This may just remain a mystery haha.

Steam profile
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I also want to caution you against confirmation bias.

Just because a game is running slowly doesn't mean it's due to RAM constraints.

If your RAM is 82% utilized, that means the game in question is "satisified" with the amount of RAM it's chewing. If it needed more RAM, it would take it.

Generally speaking, unless you're running 99% or 100% RAM utilization, then sheer amount of RAM isn't the problem.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.