As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    At 331, Im getting matched against what appear to be God Roll DRB/Luna's Howl/Wardcliff Coil/Spectral Blade Hunters.

The matchmaking in this game, in Competitive, is just ass.

Surfpossum - Thanks a ton for the offer; unfortunately, I'm on PS4.

Power level has no bearing on matchmaking in comp, nor should it

I, ah, agree. That's not power level, it's glory level (or valor? Whatever the comp. points are). You know, the measure of skill and competitiveness in that environment.

My point was geared toward those builds - you know, already having Luna's Howl and all - being matched with me are fuck-all ridiculously bad matchmaking.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    At 331, Im getting matched against what appear to be God Roll DRB/Luna's Howl/Wardcliff Coil/Spectral Blade Hunters.

I, ah, agree. That's not power level, it's glory level (or valor? Whatever the comp. points are). You know, the measure of skill and competitiveness in that environment.

My point was geared toward those builds - you know, already having Luna's Howl and all - being matched with me are fuck-all ridiculously bad matchmaking.

I'm not sure D2's Crucible environment has ever been at a population sufficient to support stringent matchmaking without grossly exacerbating queue times; I think high level players were getting queue-times of an hour+ back when they tried a more absolute SBMM, and that may still be true on PC.

And the game is no doubt experiencing a serious player-drought amidst displeasure with Black Armory and the onslaught of other distractions/competitors. Like, you don't really need to play Comp to witness the extent with which that particular archetype of DRB/Luna/Coil Sweaty Goober has become the predominant player-type in every gamemode, and I don't think that's because the metagame is degenerate or because we've reached some pinnacle of player-skill equality — it's because most of the "average" and "casual" players have said "fuck this" and abandoned ship.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Apologies, then. It was in the context of gear, most of which, of course, isn't related to Glory.

EDIT: To actually address your point, Glory is seasonal and Luna's Howl was available last season. Your opponents could have 0 Glory this season and still match against you while using Luna's. Of course, the matchmaker still doesn't seem to hesitate to pit low Glory players against high ones, even in the same season. This is where the whole Ladder vs Progression system comes crashing down, because every season everyone gets reset to 0, but that doesn't mean good players got worse. And since there's no "placement" matches, they have to work their way back up through all of the less skilled players.

EDIT 2: Typo

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Another high curse week, another week of no ship from anything. Bah.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I still need the Dreaming City ghost and ship, but I don't even bother anymore.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I still need the Dreaming City ghost and ship, but I don't even bother anymore.

I still get it done because the Ascendant challenge is not that much work and ST is fairly fun and not that long.

I wish I could skip the stupid Blind Well but I like keeping up with the story and you need to do that crap to do that.

Other then that I'm tooling around doing PvP and some raids and other random triumph stuff. We're on the low-point of activity till the next season drops.

metaghost wrote: »

I'm not sure D2's Crucible environment has ever been at a population sufficient to support stringent matchmaking without grossly exacerbating queue times; I think high level players were getting queue-times of an hour+ back when they tried a more absolute SBMM, and that may still be true on PC.

And the game is no doubt experiencing a serious player-drought amidst displeasure with Black Armory and the onslaught of other distractions/competitors. Like, you don't really need to play Comp to witness the extent with which that particular archetype of DRB/Luna/Coil Sweaty Goober has become the predominant player-type in every gamemode, and I don't think that's because the metagame is degenerate or because we've reached some pinnacle of player-skill equality — it's because most of the "average" and "casual" players have said "fuck this" and abandoned ship.

I mean, yeah. But that completely breaks the Glory system. It does not function at that point because the points gained or lost don't make any sense as a gauge of much of anything anymore. Which is what I was talking about, since they clearly don't know what kind of system they actually want to design.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I've been doing 2 Ascendant Challenges for months and months now just waiting for the Ghost to no avail. And with Blind Well no longer really progressing the story except for Truth to Power entries, even tbat seems like a nasty chore. Just gimme my shit, Bungie.

Also, I realized I never did a legit Riven run since pick up groups died and LFG mostly wants cheese and I was sad. I want to try that fight out, but motivation is sapped. Maybe after Joker's Wild comes out I can see how it was designed. They should have fixed it.

• awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    One piece of mildly good news with the new season coming up: Ascendant Challenges/Shattered Throne/all the other stuff I need to do for titles will at the very least drop Powerful Rewards to help me level up. Right now, with all my characters at 650, most of my PRs just get auto-sharded. Infusion fodder will be a passable consolation prize for not getting Starlight Shell yet again.

The bad news is, I don't think I'll be able to finish my last couple Valor resets before March 5. Really sucks to see all that progress just go in the garbage.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Those are good gambit changes

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    All shotguns getting the Acrius buff in PVE makes me sad, because I still want Acrius to reign supreme.

I guess IKELOS is getting hit hard though.

There's a new class item preview look for hunters.

Hunter_Cape.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=3132316039

And you can see everything. You can see it all.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    The third round of Gambit is now sudden death?

That's going to make those mote deposit triumphs much harder. Good luck depositing 100 motes!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    People have been asking for that for ages, glad to see it get added. Gambit matches that went to 3 rounds were just so painfully long.

While Queenbreaker has high aim-assist values by default, we discovered an issue where it was not honoring aim-assist values that applied to other Linear Fusion Rifles of the same archetype. This resulted in Queenbreaker having over double the intended aim assist.

That sure explains a lot.

I can't even begin to parse the shotgun changes.

Although they are reducing their range in PvP which will be nice. Right now they are one-shots from across the goddamn room.

Absurd aim assist is basically the defining feature of Queenbreaker's Bow.

That's going to make those mote deposit triumphs much harder. Good luck depositing 100 motes!

Good point. That does suck

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Good point. That does suck

Just wait a year and they'll change those triumphs to be something like "talk to the drifter".

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    "Now matchmaker, you have a 2 stack, a 3 stack, and 7 solo players, what would be the fairest way too-"

"PUT BOTH THE GROUPS ON THE SAME TEAM!!"

"-But that doesn't even m-"

"THE ALMIGHTY MATCHMAKER HAS SPOKEN"

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That change for Light Vs Light means maybe I'll get the Dredgen title after all!

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Vindication for all the times I've killed an invader while their super is up yet it hasn't counted

(Granted, that has been only three times, out of maybe five total that I've ever seen an invader burn their super, 1000 % behind that change)

kofz2amsvqm3.png
    shryke wrote: »

Although they are reducing their range in PvP which will be nice. Right now they are one-shots from across the goddamn room.

It's hard to figure out, because we start with an reduction to base damage across the board that we don't have the numbers for. But, starting from an unknown reduced damage number, the other changes should work out to a 144% increase in DPS for aggressive shotguns, 155% increase in DPS for precision shotguns, a 28% increase in DPS for precision shotguns. But there's also that reserves change, and we don't have exact numbers for it.

The one thing that's for sure is that high rate of shotties have lost their edge.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Elki wrote: »

It's hard to figure out, because we start with an reduction to base damage across the board that we don't have the numbers for. But, starting from an unknown reduced damage number, the other changes should work out to a 144% increase in DPS for aggressive shotguns, 155% increase in DPS for precision shotguns, a 28% increase in DPS for precision shotguns. But there's also that reserves change, and we don't have exact numbers for it.

The one thing that's for sure is that high rate of shotties have lost their edge.

My plan is to let like Coolguy or Fallout figure this shit out for me and then watch their video.

shryke on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    TW@B wasn't super clear on the timeline for the new season.

It said the 5th, but the last two seasons, iirc, have had a weird down week between the seasons, but the dlc is live, or vice versa.

So is everything resetting the 5th? And the dlc stuff, whatever it may be, going live?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    It would be really cool if I stopped getting Kindled Orchids with Surrounded/Ambitious Assassin.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular

It said the 5th, but the last two seasons, iirc, have had a weird down week between the seasons, but the dlc is live, or vice versa.

So is everything resetting the 5th? And the dlc stuff, whatever it may be, going live?

Yeah, I was wondering whether there would be a down week, too. But given that next week is Triple Infamy, I have to assume that it's still part of Season 4. dmg04 directly said "we're enabling Triple Infamy for the final week of Season of the Forge."

awsimo wrote: »

Yeah, I was wondering whether there would be a down week, too. But given that next week is Triple Infamy, I have to assume that it's still part of Season 4. dmg04 directly said "we're enabling Triple Infamy for the final week of Season of the Forge."

This week is 3rd curse week. So next week is 1st-Week and the final week of S4. Week after is 2nd-Week and my guess is it's the blank week. Then next week is 3rd-week, new season and new stuff for the Dreaming City narrative after like 3-4 weeks of "Mara Sov is gone, we're waiting".

edited February 2019
    Xur is selling Synthoceps. Definitely pick it up if you, like me, only have the kiosk version.

Edit:

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/4abHWFFPdY4
    This is an Anthem video but, the part that made me laugh hardest is Destiny related

Can't argue with that logic.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »
    If ya'll are hating the climb to 2100, know that it's not even halfway to Not Forgotten. >.<

I don't mind that one. I like what they did with the two hand-cannons where Luna's is the basic model and NF is the "you are a fucking crazy person" one that's slightly or situationally better.

The problem is getting to Luna's is kinda bullshit.

NF really sucks for the mainly pvp crowd, though. Like, I focus on raids and going into each season I know I can manage to get all the new raid items and challenges and hopefully a title, if RNG is even a bit reasonable. If you’re all about pvp, though? That grind is gonna be some next level shit.

That just kinda gets to the heart of the issue with PvP in this game, where they can't decide if it's a progression system or a ranking system.

Is NF a thing you work towards like a raid drop or a thing you only get if you are good enough, like a ladder reward in a MOBA or something.

And of course it's a weapon you actually use which only makes that problem more pronounced.

I think it’s a ladder type system to me. They just, due to complaints, made it easier for players to go up the ladder a bit than down

But you’ll still hit your max where almost everyone you play is better than you despite the win streak bonus

I don’t think it’s feasible e to “grind” the rewards. You can grind a bit above your skill level with lucky win streaks and carries but that’s it. Eventually you’ll still max out. If your a 1500 player maybe you could grind 2100

But you’re never getting NF.

I’m torn on the unique rewards for comp. on the one hand it’s super awful that a top tier PvP gun is behind top skill PvP wall but on the other hand getting lunas last season and mountain top this season have been the most rewarding destiny 2 experiences

For it to be a ladder you'd need pure skill-based matchmaking. Otherwise your ladder doesn't function.

I’m not sure if this is semantics or not, but what you’re saying is true as long as the ladder itself is also based on that same skill
    metric

You can’t do what comp originally did and have two different systems for your matchup vs your rank on the ladder. (Hidden sbmm and displayed glory rank)

Currently through two seasons of comp it seems like my matches are pretty damned close to my rank always. So maybe I’m lucky but the ladder has worked well for me

It’s just a ladder that is slightly easier to climb instead of fall. Which artificially inflate your final rank if you’re persistent but not by a whole lot

616610-1.png
    Catalase wrote: »
    If ya'll are hating the climb to 2100, know that it's not even halfway to Not Forgotten. >.<

I don't mind that one. I like what they did with the two hand-cannons where Luna's is the basic model and NF is the "you are a fucking crazy person" one that's slightly or situationally better.

The problem is getting to Luna's is kinda bullshit.

NF really sucks for the mainly pvp crowd, though. Like, I focus on raids and going into each season I know I can manage to get all the new raid items and challenges and hopefully a title, if RNG is even a bit reasonable. If you’re all about pvp, though? That grind is gonna be some next level shit.

That just kinda gets to the heart of the issue with PvP in this game, where they can't decide if it's a progression system or a ranking system.

Is NF a thing you work towards like a raid drop or a thing you only get if you are good enough, like a ladder reward in a MOBA or something.

And of course it's a weapon you actually use which only makes that problem more pronounced.

I think it’s a ladder type system to me. They just, due to complaints, made it easier for players to go up the ladder a bit than down

But you’ll still hit your max where almost everyone you play is better than you despite the win streak bonus

I don’t think it’s feasible e to “grind” the rewards. You can grind a bit above your skill level with lucky win streaks and carries but that’s it. Eventually you’ll still max out. If your a 1500 player maybe you could grind 2100

But you’re never getting NF.

I’m torn on the unique rewards for comp. on the one hand it’s super awful that a top tier PvP gun is behind top skill PvP wall but on the other hand getting lunas last season and mountain top this season have been the most rewarding destiny 2 experiences

For it to be a ladder you'd need pure skill-based matchmaking. Otherwise your ladder doesn't function.

I’m not sure if this is semantics or not, but what you’re saying is true as long as the ladder itself is also based on that same skill
    metric

You can’t do what comp originally did and have two different systems for your matchup vs your rank on the ladder. (Hidden sbmm and displayed glory rank)

Currently through two seasons of comp it seems like my matches are pretty damned close to my rank always. So maybe I’m lucky but the ladder has worked well for me

It’s just a ladder that is slightly easier to climb instead of fall. Which artificially inflate your final rank if you’re persistent but not by a whole lot

No, what I'm saying is that the ladder itself is only based on that skill metric if it matchmakes based on it.

Your ladder populates itself via assigning points to wins and losses. The only way those points can be allocated in a meaningful way (at least, without different amount of points being given or taken depending on skill levels) is via skill-based matchmaking. (And if you are giving different amount of points to each player you still need to know where people lie on the ladder itself and make assumptions about what that differential means.)

Basically, if you play a game, one person wins and goes up, the other loses and goes down because that game means the winner is better then the loser. Do this enough times and people start to sort themselves based on their skill. But assuming you are giving everyone the same number of points for a win (which Destiny does) this only happens if the two sides are considered roughly equally skilled by the system.

If that isn't true and if matchmaking is random or based off other factors, then the system no longer functions because maybe person X is continually being matched against really shitty players, whereas person Y is continually being matched against really skilled players. X keeps winning and Y keeps losing but that doesn't say anything about their actual skill levels against the overall system and your rating system is meaningless. And that's what Destiny is doing and why their ladder, isn't.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Where are all the PS4bros? I'm in the PS4 and Xbone Clans and the Xbone guys had all the clan engrams unlocked like, day 1 this week. PS4bros haven't unlocked a single one yet, lol.

Get off that Apex shit and hop back on Destiny, you lazy gadabouts.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I love going three matches in a row, scoring 24 kills, 9 caps each time and still losing so my reward is precisely sweet fuck all. The whole streaks thing? Bungie can seriously shove it right up their ass.

edited February 2019
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Where are all the PS4bros? I'm in the PS4 and Xbone Clans and the Xbone guys had all the clan engrams unlocked like, day 1 this week. PS4bros haven't unlocked a single one yet, lol.

Get off that Apex shit and hop back on Destiny, you lazy gadabouts.

Xbox almost always has all their clan stuff done in the first couple days. It helps we have a few regular groups that run raids every week without fail, one of which is Tuesday.

ObiFett on
    Nosf wrote: »
    I love going three matches in a row, scoring 24 kills, 9 caps each time and still losing so my reward is precisely sweet fuck all. The whole streaks thing? Bungie can seriously shove it right up their ass.

Streaks make sense in a real ladder system. But since Bungie doesn't understand that's not what they built, instead it's just dickish.

Best of luck, Petra hunters. Also, no need to worry about emblems in the raid again.

smCQ5WE.jpg