As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Why would Namco do that when they can charge price for individual Tales updates?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    When are we getting a Xenosaga HD Remaster HD Collection HD?

Asking the important questions.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this (although it's probably easy to figure out by just paying attention) but in Tetris 99, is the order of shapes the same across the lobby or just completely random? Seeing how peoples towers developed despite being given the same tools seems intriguing to me, and certainly seems more fair, but at high level play maybe everyone's tower ends up too samey for that to work.

I'm pretty sure it's the same just from paying attention. Like instantly I see an orange squiggle on every single screen somewhere, followed by a purple T, etc. Just a matter of giving everyone the same seed and it all diverges fairly quickly even among pros.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this (although it's probably easy to figure out by just paying attention) but in Tetris 99, is the order of shapes the same across the lobby or just completely random? Seeing how peoples towers developed despite being given the same tools seems intriguing to me, and certainly seems more fair, but at high level play maybe everyone's tower ends up too samey for that to work.

Anecdotal experience, and I can't find anything confirming it, but modern Tetris seems to give you a randomized assortment of the 7 tetriminos in the next queue, followed by another set of 7, etc. This way you are guaranteed one of the seven pieces in each set of 7.

Contrast this with original Game Boy Tetris, which if I recall correctly gave you a randomized tetrimino with no set restrictions. So you could get three Z or S pieces one after the other.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Anecdotal experience, and I can't find anything confirming it, but modern Tetris seems to give you a randomized assortment of the 7 tetriminos in the next queue, followed by another set of 7, etc. This way you are guaranteed one of the seven pieces in each set of 7.

Contrast this with original Game Boy Tetris, which if I recall correctly gave you a randomized tetrimino with no set restrictions. So you could get three Z or S pieces one after the other.

It's not quite as predictable as one of each but they do limit duplicates a lot.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

It's not quite as predictable as one of each but they do limit duplicates a lot.

Been googling a bit trying to find the formula but no dice yet. Definitely curious.

• YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Tetris 99 seems to follow the standard Tetris Guideline (there's even rules about what colour each piece is), so the randomizer rules are here

It might be more like that probability lines thing where the chance was modified by its relative ranking to the other pieces. Like on the right in Tengen Tetris:

WHrY13N.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    If a scaled down version of Scalebound comes to Switch maybe Nintendo will help Platinum as they have for other titles - making sure that game feel and audiovisual feedback is streamlined and honed. The game as demonstrated looked like you just kind of wandered around and then watched some fights happen. There didn't seem to be much in the way of a feedback loop for events.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    To put it another way, under the new rules this can never really happen now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0
    LINE PIECE!!!!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular

As I understand it it really is one of each. I believe Tetris 99 uses a "7 bag" generator, where the available tetrominoes (there are 7) are drawn out of the bag in random order. You can get up to four S or Z pieces in a row even in 99 (SZ drawn at the end of the bag and at the beginning of the next bag).

Disclaimer: I'm terrible at Tetris and have banished myself to NullpoMino until I stop sucking, but that information was taken from Hard Drop.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    I just watched some footage of the original Game boy game and my memory was correct. 28 pieces broke down to 7 "S" pieces, 4 "I" pieces, 2 "L" pieces, 4 "Z" pieces, 4 "J" pieces, 6 "O" pieces, and 1 "T" piece. No rhyme or reason, only pure random cruelty.

Barrakketh wrote: »

As I understand it it really is one of each. I believe Tetris 99 uses a "7 bag" generator, where the available tetrominoes (there are 7) are drawn out of the bag in random order. You can get up to four S or Z pieces in a row even in 99 (SZ drawn at the end of the bag and at the beginning of the next bag).

Disclaimer: I'm terrible at Tetris and have banished myself to NullpoMino until I stop sucking, but that information was taken from Hard Drop.

Therefore:

GULiZdo.png

1xsTwfs.png

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    A heads up for anybody with Dead Cells that has been waiting on the next big patch, it is out! They got it running at 60fps, along with adding all of the recent major changes to the game balance. I'm really impressed with these devs, between their amazing handling of early access on PC and their commitment to getting the Switch version running as best as they possibly could, which was apparently a lot of work.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I could ACTUALLY make progress after the Dead Cells patch. The Lightning whip is the best.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

The max distance between two pieces of the same type should be 12 then (too of first bag, 6 pieces, 6 pieces of 2nd bag, end of 2nd bag). I just watched a stream and 10 gaps came up a lot but never higher so yeah that could be.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    No! Not Rune Factory 4! I thought I was free. Why won't you die?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    No! Not Rune Factory 4! I thought I was free. Why won't you die?

Don’t worry @PLA, Rune Factory 5 will kill it.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I think my favorite thing about rune factory 4 is like
    You lose your memory and show up at this place and they're like you're the princess/prince we're waiting for come do the things! And then it turns out you're a nobody and the real prince shows up and he's like "You know what this works out you do the things and i'll use this as a chance to enjoy my hobbies! Just the sheer flippantness of the princes reaction to the whole thing

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Looks like Owlboy is on sale for $15 on the eshop.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I think my favorite thing about rune factory 4 is like
    You lose your memory and show up at this place and they're like you're the princess/prince we're waiting for come do the things! And then it turns out you're a nobody and the real prince shows up and he's like "You know what this works out you do the things and i'll use this as a chance to enjoy my hobbies! Just the sheer flippantness of the princes reaction to the whole thing

My brother has that Harvest Moon itch I told him what Rune Factory was since he never showed an interest in until the direct {He asked isn't it that game you played all the time and made fun of the mistakes you made?}

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Hm I'm not sure how I feel about how easy they made Dead Cells. On the one hand, some folks might not have liked it because it was so difficult to beat even once. But now I feel like its so easy to beat, it doesn't encourage you to master mechanics and then once youre able to walkthrough it.....do you have incentive to keep testing yourself? Hm.

camo_sig2.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hm I'm not sure how I feel about how easy they made Dead Cells. On the one hand, some folks might not have liked it because it was so difficult to beat even once. But now I feel like its so easy to beat, it doesn't encourage you to master mechanics and then once youre able to walkthrough it.....do you have incentive to keep testing yourself? Hm.

Iam so happy lol

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Man, I really hate it when a game has a completely optional easier difficulty setting that in no way affects how I play the game. It's the worst.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Ooh, they made Dead Cells easier? Guess I should get back to that. I remember enjoying it more in Early Access and thinking all the extra fluff upon 1.0 was unnecessary. I know balance was a big problem during EA, because the game went from a melee based game with special side powers to a special powers based game and sometimes you can whack an enemy. So you just spam powers forever.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Watching that Tetris player MNC Dover linked to a while back. I bow before the Tetris master

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Watching that Tetris player MNC Dover linked to a while back. I bow before the Tetris master

I've just been watching a guy with over 300 wins (and less than 400 games played) on twitch for a minute...and now I see why I can't win. Guy's just on an entirely different plane of tetris existence.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    twmjr wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

I've just been watching a guy with over 300 wins (and less than 400 games played) on twitch for a minute...and now I see why I can't win. Guy's just on an entirely different plane of tetris existence.

We may be watching the same person, yeah. wumbotize? Dunno how many games they have total, but 320+ wins and counting. You're right, the game they play is not even the same game I play haha.

Edit: Apparently they had ~50 viewers on their stream just a few weeks ago. Tetris 99 has brought them up to 1700+ viewers right now :D

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Between 99 and Effect, it might be time for a Tetris thread to be born.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Pack it up boys, it's time to retire.

Unpack those bags! Get that first place!

I took your advice.. and well..

In my life, there's been heartache and pain.....
    gGfAKsg.jpg

I don't know if I can face it again.....
    ddqJmll.jpg

Can't stop now, i've traveled so far, to change this lonely life.....

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I’ve nabbed top ten a fair amount, and top five a handful, but that number one spot seems borderline impossible. And possibly getting more impossible as the talent gets better and the casual folk check out.

But I’m not giving up!

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I WANNA KNOW WHAT T-SPINS AREEEEEEE

I WANT YOU TO SHOOOOW MEEEEE

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

You need to beat Top man

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

You keep training! Push your skills to the limit! You will get that number 1!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    I can understand what's going on with T-spin singles and doubles, but my brain refuses to grasp how triples can happen.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I’ve never spun a T in my life and I don’t intend to start now.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mm, that's a good one for when you just want to blow shit up.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I can understand what's going on with T-spin singles and doubles, but my brain refuses to grasp how triples can happen.

https://youtu.be/2j1tmnlUOTU

Starts at about 0:55

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I put on some Avril Lavigne at work and got to 2nd place in Tetris.

No one can carry me to a chicken dinner in this game.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00