As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson

1262728293032»

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Is that the Ian esselmont prequels? I should probably check them out. it's been so long since I was in the malazan world and it would be a good shorter stay I guess

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah book 3 of the Kellanved and Dancer prequels. This one sounds particularly interesting. They've been pretty good, and definitely more approachable than the Forge of Darkness ones.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I've read the first two Forge of Darkness books and I think my biggest problem with them is I'm entirely incapable of picturing like 80% of the action in my head.
    Everything is described as black-on-black and I have no idea whatsoever what the shore of light is meant to look like.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I kinda lost steam in the fifth (?) book, the one after the one with Karza rage monstering around with a giant clubsword

But maybe I should pick this series back up... the second book, the one with the chain of dogs, was super memorable

override367 on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Book five is when it jumps to a whole new continent with new characters and as such is a very common spot to end up dropping out. The first four we're all connected to some degree from the start.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Looks like the book wasn't delayed in the UK, so it's in the wild now.

Bringing back memories from when I'd import the main series from there.

• Options
    Not quite halfway through Kellanved's Reach. I'm enjoying this one too, but honestly it's making me feel like I need to re-read the main series to appreciate it. There's a lot of references/people where it's scratching something in my brain to the point where I feel like I should recognize people/things, but I'm not quite getting it.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    And finished.

Still one of ICE's better novels, but I'm left feeling that Dancer's Lament was the strongest of the trilogy because of it's focus. There's only one MAJOR retcon MBotF which I think may cause more problems than it fixes? Putting in spoilers, it's not a plot spoiler for this novel, really.
    Official founding date of the Empire is 70 years before it was actually founded. Neatly solves a lot of the "wait, that person is HOW old?" while simultaneously making problems with the Crimson Guard diaspora as well as the cohesion of the Empire as well. It means they basically conquered all that shit in like 25 years.

Which, I suppose helps to explain how easily everything fell apart, but still.

I liked what I read, it was just a tad disjoint and I feel like the focus was on the wrong events - I was less interested in some of the CG members and the origin of
    Greymane

Than I was in the founding of the empire.

All in all, it's a solid trilogy which didn't quite match how I'd imagine things, and as in all prequels, in some ways the imagining is more interesting than the "reality" (and in other ways, the reality is better)

Jragghen on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Obviously not a busy thread (downright dead) but if anyone wants to pick up epubs of the series, they are on humble bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/steven-eriksons-malazan-book-fallen-tor-publishing-group-books