As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Totally Accurate Battle Sim (EA) out today!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I only just got her and I think her story is very cool so far, and that's really all I care about in this kind of game

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Here's that weird Sims thing btw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CQ9Gccjs4c
    The Sims™ 4 StrangerVille Start your investigation and solve the mystery of a desert town that holds a deep, dark secret in The Sims™ 4 StrangerVille.* In this ominous town, Sims are acting strange for unknown reasons. Is there a conspiracy? Will this seemingly odd force possess your Sim? Uncover the story of the secret lab where Sims will encounter strange plants and interact with peculiar devices. Can you solve the mystery?

KEY FEATURES:

A Different World – Explore StrangerVille, a rural desert town shrouded in secrecy. Encounter weird weather, creepy townies, dangerous plants, odd collectibles, and more.

Unravel the Story – Immerse your Sim in unique and mysterious events. Unmarked vans appear in neighborhoods, government agents use secret listening devices, and scanners are key in detecting the unusual.

Crack the Code – Have your Sims investigate using their Military training, searching for clues to solve a mystery that lies within the secret lab.

Suit Up Your Sim – Get Sims in the mystery-solving mood by gearing them up in desert-inspired clothing and military fatigues, or prepare them for the end with conspiracy-themed clothes, secret agent attire, and a hazmat suit.

Seems like it has some more video-game-y type exploration and adventure stuff in it.

Also holy fuck The Sims is 19 years old this month what the fuck is happening to me

Crippl3 on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I carried around the girl party member through almost all of Tides of Numenara.

She was about as useful as a girl with a rock for a god should be.

I just realized the entire game was an isekai story for her.

The climax of her story (the way I pursued it, anyway) is one of my favorite narrative moments in any game, ever

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Last year I purchased the Starcraft 2 battlepack (all three games plus the Nova Corps mission packs) when the game was on sale and also took advantage of the free Starcraft 1 to playthrough the base game and Brood Wars last Fall. Over the last couple of weeks I've played through the Terran, Zerg, and Protoss campaigns and I am currently working on the Nova Corps missions. My thoughts are as follows:

In many ways these games are disappointing sequels to the originals. There are a lot of changes for change sake and the writing quality is generally lower. The number of retcons is quite surprising and it feels like there was a lot of planning out specific cool scenes for cinematic cutscenes and then inexpertly warping the story so these cutscenes happen. In one notable case, they don't actually do much warping of the plot, play a cutscene that is completely out of place, and then the game proceeds as though the events of the cutscene didn't go down the way the movie showed it. Weird, especially given how long the development time was for this game, but I can see how it happened.

To preface my rankings and comments, I am going to say that I accept the Starcraft 2 retcons on their face and mostly mark things down for a lack of consistency with the story/characters as revealed by the Starcraft 2 games. My ranking of the three main games is probably Zerg (minus the missions against the Protoss research base), Protoss, Terran.
    • Heart of the Swarm (Zerg) had probably the strongest throughline and tightest pacing. Aside from the missions against the Protoss research ice moon bases, the characterization was serviceable and mostly consistent. My main complaints are that they probably separated Kerrigan from the human cast (or they could have had her interact more positively with the protoss) too early so we didn't get to see enough character development around her thoughts and feelings related to the events from the Starcraft 1 and Wings of Liberty storyline as well as the opening events of the Heart of the Swarm missions. This means that we get a rather abrupt switch in her personality and while it works okay, I think having a bit more time for nuanced characterization would have been useful before she has to go Alpha leader over the Zerg and have no time for nuanced characterization until almost the end. The Protoss Researcher missions on the ice moon feel like they were written for a different storyline entirely and do not fit at all. Her characterization in these missions is completely out of synch with the rest of the game and she is comically evil in a way that might make Brood Wars Kerrigan step back and tell her that she is going too far.
    • Legacy of the Void prologue is okayish. The main campaign has weird pacing and placement of the climaxes and second climaxes that better writers could have handled in a more satisfying way. The recruitment of the clans stuff was kind of fun, although the whole Taldarim stuff felt a lot like a clumsy retcon to give a story justification for fighting Protoss while you are a "good guy" and a lot of the logic about why the different groups are fighting for the different sides doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it. The main story doesn't make much sense for the big-bad's actions in Starcraft 1 given the reveals in Starcraft 2. Awkward, clumsy, and inexpertly done, but not actively bad. The Epilogue is bad as an ending to Starcraft 2 and abysmal as an ending to the Starcraft series. It retroactively takes a fan-favourite character and strips both their character development as well as the characters they interact with of meaning for no reason.
    • Wings of Liberty features a lot of very stupid characters and fridge logic. I was least forgiving of retcons in this game since it was the sequel to Brood Wars and there's a lot of bad changes here with retcons of previous events and characters (Raynor is the poster boy). It features a hilarious cutscene I referenced earlier where Arcturus Mengsk's flagship arrives out of warp in front of Raynor's fleet with it's shields down. Raynor responds by order boarding tubes attached to the flagship and for them to board the ship and kill Mengsk. There's a cool cutscene of Raynor and Tychus fighting their way through the defenders of the ship to burst into the command deck only to find Junior there who offers them an alliance to further their goals. It felt like the cutscene featuring Raynor and Tychus fighting marines was the whole point and they didn't have a good spot to put the already created assets so they just threw it in here. None of what goes down makes sense. If they wanted to kill Mengsk, they could have just had their fleet blow up Arcturus's ship when it arrives with its shields down. If Junior wanted to chat and offer a deal then he could have hailed them when he arrives or arranged a less volatile introduction. Instead they have him show up and sit there quietly while Raynor and Tychus grab their cutlasses and swing across in a boarding action that looks really cool and kills a bunch of soldiers on both sides for no reason.

On the gameplay side of things, I generally enjoyed all the missions. Something I was disappointed with is that throughout all three games there are almost zero missions where you build a base and destroy all the enemy bases on the map. There is almost always a different objective, which is fine, but I think they went a bit too far and it meant that the traditional RTS gameplay almost got ignored in favour of mission-by-mission gimmicks.

I generally enjoyed the concept of the unit upgrades and customizations offered by the game, but there are some issues with how they were handled that weren't really resolved until Legacy of the Void. In Wings of Liberty you don't get enough money to unlock all the cash upgrades and mercenaries. The Zerg/Protoss research upgrades being fixed choices was also unfortunate. By the final mission everything should really have been unlocked. Let the player have fun with their toys. A way of allowing this would be to give more money rewards for completing the missions on higher difficulties. Complete everything on Brutal and you get enough to unlock everything for example. Let the player switch between the Zerg/Protoss upgrades so they can try both.

In Heart of the Swarm the Kerrigan racial upgrades was pretty good as well as the various unit upgrades you can choose between for each of the main units. I again disagree with locking in the evolution upgrade specializations. Sure, only allow the player to choose one for a specific mission, but let them try both. It is more fun.

The Legacy of the Void system was probably the best. You get to freely change and switch between different versions of the units as you unlock the factions over the course of the game and the Spear of Adun upgrades can similarly be switched up between missions however you like.

The LotV epilogue handles these upgrades badly. Why they chose to remove all customization abilities you've enjoyed up to this point over the course of three games and lock you in to a particular load-out is beyond me. Let the players have fun with their toys, the player units are already overpowered anyways. I am fine with early on in the campaigns limiting the players to specific load-outs for specific missions so you have to try everything out, but don't do it in the final missions.

The Nova Corps missions are pretty good so far and I'm hoping it holds up. The gameplay is fun even when the storytelling isn't the best, so I should be able to have a decent time.

These three games come across now as harbingers of the changes in the Blizzard writers and how the games are designed. Early Blizzard games into the Starcraft/WC III + Expansion era featured above average stories and characters while later games seemed more focused around having a cool moment that was frequently completely out of place with prior story and characterizations. The SC2 feels like it is on the cusp of the transition from the storytelling/worldbuilding era and into the era of the primacy of the Rule of Cool where nothing needs to make sense outside of the cool moment and past events/characterizations are mutable with retcons whenever the writers desire.

I wish that Starcraft 2 was written by the SC1/Broodwars era writing team as a true sequel to SC1. I think many of the people were the same on both the teams, but for whatever reason SC1/BW had much stronger plots and characters. It wasn't without problems (they should have made the UED one of the other Terran colonies that didn't join the Confederacy/Dominion and not from Earth given the backstory in the SC1 manual), but the general tone was a lot more confident and not the mimicry influenced by generic sci-fi military games/characters that the SC2 tone often feels like.

Caedwyr on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Think I'm gonna get Titanfall 2 once I've been paid. Apex legends has gotten me interested in the setting/aesthetics and I've heard lots of good stuff about it.

Plus it's super cheap.

Will probably pick up the Pillars of Eternity 2 DLC packs as I've really gotten in to it.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Last year I purchased the Starcraft 2 battlepack (all three games plus the Nova Corps mission packs) when the game was on sale and also took advantage of the free Starcraft 1 to playthrough the base game and Brood Wars last Fall. Over the last couple of weeks I've played through the Terran, Zerg, and Protoss campaigns and I am currently working on the Nova Corps missions. My thoughts are as follows:

In many ways these games are disappointing sequels to the originals. There are a lot of changes for change sake and the writing quality is generally lower. The number of retcons is quite surprising and it feels like there was a lot of planning out specific cool scenes for cinematic cutscenes and then inexpertly warping the story so these cutscenes happen. In one notable case, they don't actually do much warping of the plot, play a cutscene that is completely out of place, and then the game proceeds as though the events of the cutscene didn't go down the way the movie showed it. Weird, especially given how long the development time was for this game, but I can see how it happened.

To preface my rankings and comments, I am going to say that I accept the Starcraft 2 retcons on their face and mostly mark things down for a lack of consistency with the story/characters as revealed by the Starcraft 2 games. My ranking of the three main games is probably Zerg (minus the missions against the Protoss research base), Protoss, Terran.
    • Heart of the Swarm (Zerg) had probably the strongest throughline and tightest pacing. Aside from the missions against the Protoss research ice moon bases, the characterization was serviceable and mostly consistent. My main complaints are that they probably separated Kerrigan from the human cast (or they could have had her interact more positively with the protoss) too early so we didn't get to see enough character development around her thoughts and feelings related to the events from the Starcraft 1 and Wings of Liberty storyline as well as the opening events of the Heart of the Swarm missions. This means that we get a rather abrupt switch in her personality and while it works okay, I think having a bit more time for nuanced characterization would have been useful before she has to go Alpha leader over the Zerg and have no time for nuanced characterization until almost the end. The Protoss Researcher missions on the ice moon feel like they were written for a different storyline entirely and do not fit at all. Her characterization in these missions is completely out of synch with the rest of the game and she is comically evil in a way that might make Brood Wars Kerrigan step back and tell her that she is going too far.
    • Legacy of the Void prologue is okayish. The main campaign has weird pacing and placement of the climaxes and second climaxes that better writers could have handled in a more satisfying way. The recruitment of the clans stuff was kind of fun, although the whole Taldarim stuff felt a lot like a clumsy retcon to give a story justification for fighting Protoss while you are a "good guy" and a lot of the logic about why the different groups are fighting for the different sides doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it. The main story doesn't make much sense for the big-bad's actions in Starcraft 1 given the reveals in Starcraft 2. Awkward, clumsy, and inexpertly done, but not actively bad. The Epilogue is bad as an ending to Starcraft 2 and abysmal as an ending to the Starcraft series. It retroactively takes a fan-favourite character and strips both their character development as well as the characters they interact with of meaning for no reason.
    • Wings of Liberty features a lot of very stupid characters and fridge logic. I was least forgiving of retcons in this game since it was the sequel to Brood Wars and there's a lot of bad changes here with retcons of previous events and characters (Raynor is the poster boy). It features a hilarious cutscene I referenced earlier where Arcturus Mengsk's flagship arrives out of warp in front of Raynor's fleet with it's shields down. Raynor responds by order boarding tubes attached to the flagship and for them to board the ship and kill Mengsk. There's a cool cutscene of Raynor and Tychus fighting their way through the defenders of the ship to burst into the command deck only to find Junior there who offers them an alliance to further their goals. It felt like the cutscene featuring Raynor and Tychus fighting marines was the whole point and they didn't have a good spot to put the already created assets so they just threw it in here. None of what goes down makes sense. If they wanted to kill Mengsk, they could have just had their fleet blow up Arcturus's ship when it arrives with its shields down. If Junior wanted to chat and offer a deal then he could have hailed them when he arrives or arranged a less volatile introduction. Instead they have him show up and sit there quietly while Raynor and Tychus grab their cutlasses and swing across in a boarding action that looks really cool and kills a bunch of soldiers on both sides for no reason.

On the gameplay side of things, I generally enjoyed all the missions. Something I was disappointed with is that throughout all three games there are almost zero missions where you build a base and destroy all the enemy bases on the map. There is almost always a different objective, which is fine, but I think they went a bit too far and it meant that the traditional RTS gameplay almost got ignored in favour of mission-by-mission gimmicks.

I generally enjoyed the concept of the unit upgrades and customizations offered by the game, but there are some issues with how they were handled that weren't really resolved until Legacy of the Void. In Wings of Liberty you don't get enough money to unlock all the cash upgrades and mercenaries. The Zerg/Protoss research upgrades being fixed choices was also unfortunate. By the final mission everything should really have been unlocked. Let the player have fun with their toys. A way of allowing this would be to give more money rewards for completing the missions on higher difficulties. Complete everything on Brutal and you get enough to unlock everything for example. Let the player switch between the Zerg/Protoss upgrades so they can try both.

In Heart of the Swarm the Kerrigan racial upgrades was pretty good as well as the various unit upgrades you can choose between for each of the main units. I again disagree with locking in the evolution upgrade specializations. Sure, only allow the player to choose one for a specific mission, but let them try both. It is more fun.

The Legacy of the Void system was probably the best. You get to freely change and switch between different versions of the units as you unlock the factions over the course of the game and the Spear of Adun upgrades can similarly be switched up between missions however you like.

The LotV epilogue handles these upgrades badly. Why they chose to remove all customization abilities you've enjoyed up to this point over the course of three games and lock you in to a particular load-out is beyond me. Let the players have fun with their toys, the player units are already overpowered anyways. I am fine with early on in the campaigns limiting the players to specific load-outs for specific missions so you have to try everything out, but don't do it in the final missions.

The Nova Corps missions are pretty good so far and I'm hoping it holds up. The gameplay is fun even when the storytelling isn't the best, so I should be able to have a decent time.

These three games come across now as harbingers of the changes in the Blizzard writers and how the games are designed. Early Blizzard games into the Starcraft/WC III + Expansion era featured above average stories and characters while later games seemed more focused around having a cool moment that was frequently completely out of place with prior story and characterizations. The SC2 feels like it is on the cusp of the transition from the storytelling/worldbuilding era and into the era of the primacy of the Rule of Cool where nothing needs to make sense outside of the cool moment and past events/characterizations are mutable with retcons whenever the writers desire.

I wish that Starcraft 2 was written by the SC1/Broodwars era writing team as a true sequel to SC1. I think many of the people were the same on both the teams, but for whatever reason SC1/BW had much stronger plots and characters. It wasn't without problems (they should have made the UED one of the other Terran colonies that didn't join the Confederacy/Dominion and not from Earth given the backstory in the SC1 manual), but the general tone was a lot more confident and not the mimicry influenced by generic sci-fi military games/characters that the SC2 tone often feels like.

I agree with pretty much everything here

though I'd add that Abatur is the best character in all of StarCraft

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I like when he gets pissy over Dr. Narud being way better at genetic manipulation than he is.

I was disappointed in Alarak. He has some fun interactions, but he really comes off as someone trying to be cooler than cool and edgy as can be, but the rest of the Protoss are poor foils for that type of character. Stick him with the Zerg storyline and I think it would have worked a lot better. They could probably have made it work better to have him bounce off some of the Terrans.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I was disappointed in Alarak. He has some fun interactions, but he really comes off as someone trying to be cooler than cool and edgy as can be, but the rest of the Protoss are poor foils for that type of character. Stick him with the Zerg storyline and I think it would have worked a lot better. They could probably have made it work better to have him bounce off some of the Terrans.

Spoilers for the Nova campaign
    They basically set him and his crew up as future antagonists for the Dominion.

I liked him but only because he was voiced by John DeLancie

Also, some advice for new players in how they control the game behind the spoiler in case there is anyone else out there who hasn't played the 10 year old games (or at least it feels like they are 10 years old).
    Here are some things I have learned that are useful for new players:

To attack while retreating use the move command and then press S, then click to move again. Doing this repeatedly will cause your units to stutter step backwards attacking as they run away. Good with ranged units versus melee units.

You can save unit groups by pressing CTRL+ a number key while they are selected. There doesn't appear to be a maximum number of units like SC 1 had.

While a group of units is selected you can press tab to cycle through unit types. This is useful for hotkeying all your production buildings with a single ctrl group and switching between factories, barracks, and starports quickly.

Be careful when mixing different units in a control group if they have activated abilities. There is a priority for what is displayed.

Suggested control groups are:
    1. Main army, few spellcasters
    2. Alternate control group for better splitting of forces control.
    3. Air or specialty units.
    4. All Command Centers or Nexuses.
    5. All production buildings.
    6. SCVs/Probes used for building stuff
    7+. spellcasters or other specialty units.

Play around with ALT, CTRL and shift keys as they open up a bunch of other ways to select and deselect units.

You can rally units to another unit which can help when moving forces around.

You can click on a dropship to drop units while moving.

Set camera location hotkeys (by default Alt + F5-F8 I think) so you can quickly jump around the map and not get bogged down in mini-map movements.[/spoilers]

I did enjoy the purifiers storyline and Fenix's plotline in LotV. That whole faction was something that fit into the lore really well. The Taldarim were a lot more clumsy and given their size and breadth of their empire felt a lot more tacked on.

I also really liked the science logs in the WoL campaign, especially the Protoss research ones. The final one where the researcher comments "I have no idea why the Protoss don't basically rule the galaxy with their level of technology" was a great in-character moment as was the revelation that the Protoss research fragments were essentially merging with and enhancing the Hyperion.

I guess that's my general summary. Great in some of the moments, but flawed overall and a bit of a letdown compared to what it could have been storywise with fairly fun gameplay.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna get Titanfall 2 once I've been paid. Apex legends has gotten me interested in the setting/aesthetics and I've heard lots of good stuff about it.

Plus it's super cheap.

Will probably pick up the Pillars of Eternity 2 DLC packs as I've really gotten in to it.

The campaign is glorious, but brief. I was a bit burned at $60 but for the current asking price it is a great time.

speaking of Titanfall 2:
    qjii3t21u7a1.png

Looks like Brad's either going to play the campaign or go for the top time on the training course, if I had to guess.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I think I might be enjoying Crackdown 3.

Aistan wrote: »
    I think I might be enjoying Crackdown 3.

It's better than Crackdown 1.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I am digging the hell out of Devil Engine’s style.

It also looks super hard.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    He’s so vascular!

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    A week later and I’m still fucking beside myself angry about the goddamn activision layoffs

Eight hundred people

So that a dozen or so could make obscene profits

It’s just fucking unconscionable

8406wWN.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, my partner is living at my house her desktop is basically in storage and slightly broken so we've just been sharing my desktop computer to play games

and we both really, really, really want to play Metro Exodus

and we've found the folder where the savegames are stored, and have managed to create multiple profiles by just constantly backing the save files up into another folder, and then just copying the other files in when it's time for the other person to play the game

it's gonna work great until one of us makes a mistake and erases the other's save completely

edited February 2019
    Fanatical is having a big week-long sale on various bundles, each one has a bunch of different games. Some of them are bad but so far there's a few standouts, and there's more coming Thursday and Friday. Any purchase on the store, bundle or not, gets you 10% off any one bundle for the rest of the sale.
    • The Tabletop Bundle: $1 for Mysterium, Small World, and Abalone, $5 adds Pandemic, Talisman, and Splendor, and $10 also gives you Ticket to Ride and Carcassone, that's a lot of really really good board games
    • LEGO Pick-And-Mix is $12 for your choice of 3 LEGO games and/or DLC from a list of 20, including LEGO City Undercover, Marvel Super Heroes 1 and 2, Batman 1, 2, and 3, LEGO Worlds, and more.
    • The Batman Arkham Pack is $10 for Arkham Asylum GOTY, Arkham City GOTY, and Arkham Knight + the season pass which is a real good price just for Knight alone.
    • Festival Mystery Bundle is basically a lootbox. $1 for one mystery Steam game up to $7 for 10 games. It includes anything from indie games I've never heard of like Alien Spidy and Arkcast, to some good stuff like KOTOR 1 and 2, Mortal Kombat 9, The Sexy Brutale, and Borderlands 2, and some rare high-end stuff like Dead Cells, Civilization V, Hitman 2 Silver and Gold editions, and Injustice 2 Legendary Edition. (you can get duplicates if you buy multiple, but if you contact support they'll replace it for you)

Crippl3 on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Out today: DEVIL ENGINE

An SNK 16-bit style arcade shooter!?

ffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YES

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I am digging the hell out of Devil Engine’s style.

It also looks super hard.

Yeah, that's one for the "S-ranking this shit is a young man's game" category.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lalabox wrote: »
    so, my partner is living at my house her desktop is basically in storage and slightly broken so we've just been sharing my desktop computer to play games

and we've found the folder where the savegames are stored, and have managed to create multiple profiles by just constantly backing the save files up into another folder, and then just copying the other files in when it's time for the other person to play the game

it's gonna work great until one of us makes a mistake and erases the other's save completely
    How big are they?

Toss em in a Dropbox folder, you can always roll back. It’s lazy version control.

8406wWN.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

How big are they?

Toss em in a Dropbox folder, you can always roll back. It’s lazy version control.

Huh, never thought of using dropbox rollback.

That's a good idea

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

You could make separate Windows users. I assume the saves are in the user folder like most other games.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

oh wow, that's all of the founders of RPS gone now, I think

Out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmEH7z6f1kM
    BATALJ is a fierce online turn-based action strategy game where you face other players in one vs one battles with your own custom-built squad. Skill and smart plays decides who comes out victorious.

BUILD YOUR OWN SQUAD - Base your squads on one of the three factions in BATALJ; Rusters, Re-Linked or Splicers. Choose one of the nine different heroes. Each one with their own strengths and weaknesses. Mix and match between the 54 distinctly different units to create the perfect squad.
    SIMULTANEOUS TURNS - BATALJ offers a unique take on simultaneous turns where your skill in finding the best plays is key. Lock in your actions, then watch how your strategy plays out. Will it be you or your opponent who is the strategic mastermind, who outsmarted and outplayed the other.
    FAST PACED STRATEGY - Thanks to the simultaneous turn system you will have minimum downtime with almost no waiting time between turns.
    HEAD TO HEAD - Play against an online opponent or matchmake against one of your Steam friends.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/981850/BATALJ/
    Feb 21 - Batalj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6sygyRPAL8
    Bannermen is a real-time strategy game that takes place in the semi-fantasy medieval realm of Valtoria. While staying true to its roots, Bannermen takes the best elements from the genre and adds its own unique flair to it.
    GAMEMODES

Singleplayer Campaign; take on the role of a fallen lord on his journey back to become one of the mightiest in the realm.
    AI Skirmish; battle it out with an AI and fight for humanity.
    Ranked Matches; climb the online ladder either alone or as a duo to prove who is the best commander.
    Unranked Matches; try out new strategies or take it easy while still finding online matches easily.
    Custom Games; choose your own team composition and map with up to 8 players.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/699740/BANNERMEN/
    Feb 21 - Bannermen

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I finally found Lustrum in Sunless Skies, thank god.

I explored every terrible corner of the map, every bit of inky blackness I had left. It wasn't the place fiercely guarded by chorister bees, nor was it the graveyard of ships that swarms with star-maddened explorers, nor was it the blotch in the middle of a marauder's encampment, not hidden at the end of the claustrophobic tunnels surrounding Hybras.

No, it was just ever so slightly out of view in a route I'd traveled countless times before.

Also, due to this character spending their infancy in London and taking their sweet time in getting the associated permits and everything to make it back to the Reach, the balance of power shifted without me, so it's all the more important that I've found it (although it is going to make my personal economy fucked).

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Straightzi wrote: »

I explored every terrible corner of the map, every bit of inky blackness I had left. It wasn't the place fiercely guarded by chorister bees, nor was it the graveyard of ships that swarms with star-maddened explorers, nor was it the blotch in the middle of a marauder's encampment, not hidden at the end of the claustrophobic tunnels surrounding Hybras.

No, it was just ever so slightly out of view in a route I'd traveled countless times before.

Also, due to this character spending their infancy in London and taking their sweet time in getting the associated permits and everything to make it back to the Reach, the balance of power shifted without me, so it's all the more important that I've found it (although it is going to make my personal economy fucked).

I've found the "where the fuck is x settlement" stuff pretty tedious but I'm getting better at the game in general. I didn't know you could start in London though.

man this leaked pretty early

Steam version isn't out until March 8th

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I've found the "where the fuck is x settlement" stuff pretty tedious but I'm getting better at the game in general. I didn't know you could start in London though.

I can't figure out exactly how the bat/owl scout mechanic works. It frequently misses nearby settlements while giving me wrecks on the other side of islands.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Yeah I eventually found it partially because I managed to snag a prospect for it, which gave me a general heading from Winchester to use.

If you die in Albion, your next character starts in London.

Which I really like conceptually, but Albion is generally speaking harder, so it's a bit rough as a lower leveled character (I've died so many times that I've probably never made it above fifth level) and while I was able to do some quest stuff there, it was definitely in my best interest to head back to the Reach.

I can't figure out exactly how the bat/owl scout mechanic works. It frequently misses nearby settlements while giving me wrecks on the other side of islands.

The starting bat will just report the first thing it finds. Which I think is determined randomly from all objects that are nearby, honestly.

Some of the upgraded scouts have different ways of working, but I haven't actually gotten to try one of them yet.

Straightzi on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    The bat should not have a cost to send out

Yeah the supply cost combined with the erratic results have meant that I use my bat waaaaay less than I did in Seas

It's gonna cost just as much supplies for me to swing over into the blackness myself, so I only really use my bat when I'm exploring a completely fogged area

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I decided to sit down and play my copy of Torment that has been sitting around

I got about an hour and a half in. It's very clunky since I never really played CRPGs but the writing has been fantastic. Finding the industrial forge supervised by 3 giant automatons from a long-forgotten civilization who are stuck frozen in place was easily the highlight. (One of them is the self-appointed leader of the factory who is loud and orders his workers around constantly, another is blind but has its workers engrave blue prints and designs into its frame so it can provide input and help foster their creativity and the third is obsessed with trying to have "children", having discovered the only way it can bring life to the dozen-plus tiny robots it has made is by sacrificing its own life force).

Seems like a real neat game!

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.