As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I dusted off a King Crab last night on MWO (not sure of the specific model) with 2x gauss rifle, 3x ER LL and man is that slow Crab a menace. Even my bad games were pretty solid and it was pretty routine to hit at least 700 dmg, but I'm going to have to play with the build a bit because even with speed tweak skills it only hits 51kph and thus I have a hard time getting out of bad situations.

Also gauss rifles are the one weapon that gets me in trouble with friendly fire. I get so focused on the delay/lining up my shot that sometimes I don't notice a light mech running to my line of fire until I blast off an arm or a leg.

I pretty on reg see salty assault players proclaiming in chat they they will happily shoot any mechs that get in front of them when the game starts up. I wouldn't necessarily go claiming your intention to friendly fire, but i think most players understand if you jump in front of an engaged friendly assault mech, you're going to have bad day, and it's going to be your fault.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    I dusted off a King Crab last night on MWO (not sure of the specific model) with 2x gauss rifle, 3x ER LL and man is that slow Crab a menace. Even my bad games were pretty solid and it was pretty routine to hit at least 700 dmg, but I'm going to have to play with the build a bit because even with speed tweak skills it only hits 51kph and thus I have a hard time getting out of bad situations.

Also gauss rifles are the one weapon that gets me in trouble with friendly fire. I get so focused on the delay/lining up my shot that sometimes I don't notice a light mech running to my line of fire until I blast off an arm or a leg.

I pretty on reg see salty assault players proclaiming in chat they they will happily shoot any mechs that get in front of them when the game starts up. I wouldn't necessarily go claiming your intention to friendly fire, but i think most players understand if you jump in front of an engaged friendly assault mech, you're going to have bad day, and it's going to be your fault.

I've noticed a rash of people facehugging nearly dead enemies in solo quickplay recently. They rush in having contributed little, but wanting to get that kill shot.

Last night a teammate that was nearly dead tried to do that just as a fired, resulting me in getting two kills.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I used to have the Mauler and Bushwhacker toys somewhere.

I kinda feel like I should paint my MWO ones in the same colors.

The hero Bushwhacker is actually painted in the toy colors if you have the MC.
    Looks like the Atlas's glowing eyes are coming back next patch on multiple mechs. Bad news is it's a bolt-on that costs 1000 MC.

68a6e831eb758a055afc6dfc8079526f.png87d31eacbe15062b09ee729c9f219660.pngcba735124ca97a0740cca33039cf6a38.png270ac1b2769f67cde879ca86189ee034.png91e17f9effd9678f2e391444d5f232e1.png

You can also change the color

Well I do have the spare MC....

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Looks badass. Cyclops one is basically big, glowy "Shoot here!" target, no?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Iolo wrote: »
    Looks badass. Cyclops one is basically big, glowy "Shoot here!" target, no?

Yeah...good point. If that ring outlines the exact hit box for headshots, they might not sell so many of those for the cyclops. Not that you can't already pretty easily tell where the cockpit is on a cyclops.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Not like the cyclops cockpit was a hard target to begin with

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Not like the cyclops cockpit was a hard target to begin with

It is kind of bullseye shaped...

On the other hand
    350?cb=2010060922474887d31eacbe15062b09ee729c9f219660.png
    Twins?

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Kinda a shame that they didn't add AC/20 HSL +1 quirks to any of the KGC chassis in the new patch, if there's a mech that could really use it, it's that one.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I'm totally turning my Sleipnir into Legion.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So playing HBS: Battletech I can across a planet with a Black Market Awesome for about $10.5M C-Bills.

I managed to sell enough scrap and run the 3 missions on the planet with max cash and buy it. It was some stupid variant with LLasers and an LRM15? Who puts that on an Awesome?

Stripped it down, put in 3 PPC++'s (+10 dmg and 2 x +30 stb dmg), a heat exchanger, 4 double heatsinks, many more heatsinks, and then nearly maxed out it's armor.

So now it's the Awesome that Blake intended. Accept no substitute.

If ever I find more double heatsinks, I'll continue to replace the singles until I can fit a 4th PPC in there. Fingers crossed.

And now I have my first assault mech. If I didn't need to wedge a run into my day right this very moment I'd be out taking it for a spin.

• Options
    Give us a pic @Namrok!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Anyone want to grind out some Solaris 2v2 wins?

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Soooo. Any good guides to Solaris? Loading up your Urbie and seeing a Battlemaster or Victor as your opponent is kinda... Intimidating.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was a fun surprise. "Let's see what I face! Another Light, perhaps a Medium? Wait. That thing is big, what is... oh. Welp."

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    A couple of the divisions have really silly weight disparity

All you can really do is try to hit and run them to death, which can be tough on some maps and/or if the other mech can also jump

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Looking up the holiday bonus WHM-IIC hardpoints and man, that thing is pretty much going to have just three configurations isn't it?

4xERPPC
    4xLPL
    5xERLL

I guess you could throw an ATM in that one missile point but I think I'd rather just keep the tonnage for heat sinks.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's a little light for a Clan Assault mech, but something like this could play into the straight laser vomit meta that was all the rage back in the day (not sure if it's still all the rage these days...it's been a while since I last paid any attention to builds du jour).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    5xcMPL + ATM12 gives you plenty of burst, good sustain and a very cohesive weapon suite (and the big engine allows you to control engagementrange pretty well)

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think 2xLPL 2xERPPC is probably the way to go, like that warhawk build people run sometimes. Worse quirks but better hardpoints and JJs (and probably faster)

you could do 5xERLL but that seems like more of a faction fit that anything you'd run in quickplay

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Holiday Bonus WHM?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    Holiday Bonus WHM?

Holiday bonus event

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Ah, I just saw hearts and lava lamps and stuff.

Edit: Aah, the one from back in December. I should get that soon! I don't have a Warhammer yet.

How's the Corsair look? Not a mech I'm familiar with.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    5xcMPL + ATM12 gives you plenty of burst, good sustain and a very cohesive weapon suite (and the big engine allows you to control engagementrange pretty well)

Eh I thought about that kind of build, but I think you can get more missiles on a TBR and still be faster. The major advantage is the jump jets.
    I think 2xLPL 2xERPPC is probably the way to go, like that warhawk build people run sometimes. Worse quirks but better hardpoints and JJs (and probably faster)

you could do 5xERLL but that seems like more of a faction fit that anything you'd run in quickplay

Definitely, but I think you’d still see it, I’ve both run and fought against BLR-1Gs with all ERLL in QP.
    Kay wrote: »
    How's the Corsair look? Not a mech I'm familiar with.

It’s a PGI original so people are just guessing right now. The one that has 5 AMS should be hilarious in QP.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

You could do that build on a Huntsman, a mech 30 tons lighter. I plan on running mine as quad PPCs and seeing if it works as a Warhawk replacement.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    You could do that build on a Huntsman, a mech 30 tons lighter. I plan on running mine as quad PPCs and seeing if it works as a Warhawk replacement.
    No. You couldn't. If you try to mount 5xcMPL and an ATM12 on a huntsman it will not have sustain at all.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    No. You couldn't. If you try to mount 5xcMPL and an ATM12 on a huntsman it will not have sustain at all.

I was gonna say, you'd lose out on:

Ammo capacity
    Heat efficiency
    ARRRRMOUUUUURRRRR

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Login Error 63.

That's annoying. Anyone else unable to login?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    If using the Hot Rod horn in my Urbanmech is wrong, I don't want to be right.

• Options
    MWO: any thoughts on the missile variant of the Supernova? I like the look of them and was thinking an ATM or SRM build (with some laser to make up for range disadvantage), but clan assaults are pricey AF and I don't want to just drop CBills and hope it works out.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    MWO: any thoughts on the missile variant of the Supernova? I like the look of them and was thinking an ATM or SRM build (with some laser to make up for range disadvantage), but clan assaults are pricey AF and I don't want to just drop CBills and hope it works out.

The missile supernova is disgustingly powerful. Big ATMs? Powerful. Big LRMs. Powerful. SRMs...no. It's not a good SRM mech since you have nowhere where you can effectively use that tonnage.
    Otherwise any mix of ATM9/ATM12/LRM15/LRM20s will do just peachy.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Atm48 or what are you even doing just disintegrate anything that looks at you bro

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, that variant is one of the few assaults that no one will even look at you funny for boating LRM's on.

• Options
    Those would be MCII-4, Highlander IIC-B and SNV-A. Probably because clan LRMs are a lot more weight efficient than IS versions and all of these versions can unleash a continual storm of LRMs using quad LRM20s.

Stalker is another mech that really wants to boat LRMs, but the response to a Stalker is usually "Why would you use a stalker when you could use a much better assault?". Which is true, because IS LRMs don't deserve to be primary weapons.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Warhammer IICs everywhere. Had a match just now on Solaris that was two full lances of assaults, with about half of them the new toy everybody just got.

This is what I ended up with for my build. So far I like it.

EDIT: One of these things is not like the other
    hxnr8a2ncuvh.png

And on that note, given how games with a ton of WHM-IICs on the same side are going, I think I'm calling it early.

Nobody on
  • Options
    HBS Battletech Career Update!

The game is teasing me terribly with Highlanders. I'm sitting at 4/5 parts on two different models, and 2/5 parts for a third. It's driving me nuts! I have so many assault mechs that are so tantalizingly close.

If I ever do another campaign, I'm going with 4 mech parts instead of 5. I appreciate that it will take at a minimum 2 kills to complete a mech, but the gap from 4 to 5 parts when I don't have the time or the armor to play with my food just keeps proving a massive fun killer.

The Awesome however is doing it's work and doing it well as my singular assault mech. Those three PPC's with called shot mastery positively chew through mechs. I also discovered my Black Knight with too many lasers makes for a good enough headhunter. You have enough lasers and that 18% chance to hit doesn't sound so bad. Only takes 3 out of the 10 or so he's rocking to hit. So far they've been odds that have swung in my favor a surprising number of times.

Worst case I do another called shot with some SRMs to finish it off. I only need one to hit after a LLaser hit or two MLaser hits.

Still the clock is a'ticking. Under 300 days left to earn as much as I can. I only have one flashpoint left which is a little bit of a let down. I have a few alliance offers on my table so perhaps I'll take one of those up and go out in a blaze of glory. I just hate those target acquisition missions so much.

• Options
    Yeah, having done a career at four parts salvage, I think the next will be back to 3. There are other ways to up the difficulty without dialing back the pokemans mech-catching satisfaction.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    So, I messed around sync-dropping with Glal and another friend after I'd put together an ATM Supernova build for them. I took my Raven with TAG to see if it's still good. (It's not especially good, I should mod my Shadowcat to do the same thing, only better).

They only hit almost 1k damage with 6 kills on their first outing.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Speaking of, any comments on said Supernova build?

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=510&l=1d2952fc9cd6209d1adb2c9bb4e8950b329cd6ea

I have most of the Firepower's heat perks, so it cools down reasonably quick, it just generates all the heat in the world even just firing two 12s in one go (so, in theory sans ghost heat). I was considering dropping another laser from the TAG arm for a heatsink, or maybe experiment with lasers that don't take up as much space to do the same, though I've not played around with it enough to know if that would even help given the limited space to work with.

[edit] The lasers basically generate no heat compared to the ATMs, so, not really concerned about switching for hotter-running versions.

Glal on
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Speaking of, any comments on said Supernova build?

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=510&l=1d2952fc9cd6209d1adb2c9bb4e8950b329cd6ea

I have most of the Firepower's heat perks, so it cools down reasonably quick, it just generates all the heat in the world even just firing two 12s in one go (so, in theory sans ghost heat). I was considering dropping another laser from the TAG arm for a heatsink, or maybe experiment with lasers that don't take up as much space to do the same, though I've not played around with it enough to know if that would even help given the limited space to work with.

[edit] The lasers basically generate no heat compared to the ATMs, so, not really concerned about switching for hotter-running versions.

An active probe would be a good idea, if a ECM mech gets near you it's going to prevent you from getting locks.