As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestle(ing)] Kingdom, the live-action CGI event, January 4th

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »
    he seems born for the ring of honor midcard

Except RoH never knows where people should be on their roster so they'll make him the champ for a month until Jay Lethal wins it back.

That’s not how ROH does things.

It’s more like he goes there and manages to get really over but they wait two years to put the belt on him and by the time they do no one cares anymore.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »
    he seems born for the ring of honor midcard

Except RoH never knows where people should be on their roster so they'll make him the champ for a month until Jay Lethal wins it back.

That’s not how ROH does things.

It’s more like he goes there and manages to get really over but they wait two years to put the belt on him and by the time they do no one cares anymore.

And THEN Jay Lethal wins it back.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUJIsiNUC7s

I can't believe this 17-year-old multi-billionaire booking legend is finally on NXT TV.

For real though he's pretty rad, done a bunch of stuff on tour with Brennan Williams and streams with him a lot. He's real charismatic and pretty dope in the ring.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQpmvx9GqVA

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNWR2-9b58

Over Budget Battle Royal Special (previously seen in All In) returns for Double Or Nothing. First three announced competitors are Sonny Kiss, Kip Sabian and Brandon Cutler

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm genuinely amazed at how badly they were able to fuck up the Gargano/Ciampa story by having the big DYI reunion happen without any note.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm genuinely amazed at how badly they were able to fuck up the Gargano/Ciampa story by having the big DYI reunion happen without any note.

NZ3gM8V.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNWR2-9b58

Over Budget Battle Royal Special (previously seen in All In) returns for Double Or Nothing. First three announced competitors are Sonny Kiss, Kip Sabian and Brandon Cutler

Kip Sabian better get to do his full entrance promo.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    OTT Homecoming was an amazing show, but do not go looking for gifs if you dont want to see PAC pop a dislocated finger back in to place before wrestling for another 20 minutes

• Options
    OTT Homecoming was an amazing show, but do not go looking for gifs if you dont want to see PAC pop a dislocated finger back in to place before wrestling for another 20 minutes

I saw the pics of that and it was literally at like an 80 degree angle yiiiiiiiiiikes

• Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    Re: Tye it sucks because the 10 chant was over and he was getting great crowd reactions it's just that the WWE didn't capitalize on that at all. That being said the WWE just has too many good wrestlers I feel like Tye wasn't a main eventer with the current roster makeup and there just really isn't any mid card scene in WWE at the moment. I hope he can go to another promotion where he can be utilized.

I know the prevailing sentiment is that WWE is a creative nightmare that extinguishes the wrestlers love for the business but honestly they just have too many good wrestlers to feature every wrestler as a main event performer and I'm glad the AEW, ROH, NJPW and indies are a viable alternative.

• Options
    I don't think every wrestler needs or can be a main eventer, but that doesn't mean they can't be featured in the shows and have roles to play.

I think that's why the Attitude era has so much nostalgia, when people think about it they're not just remember Austin, Rock, and what not, but Val Venis, the Hoe Train (Which yeah has aged poorly, but what was a character that was given time to shine), Al Snow, The Brood, etc.

• Options
    I don't think he's going to be a main eventer or do much in general wherever he ends up, and I don't know how I feel about the possibility of him in AEW, but I still hope he gets his release

Even before his injury last Oct, Jan-Sept he had 6 TV matches and 2 PPV preshow kickoffs. That was it for all of 2018 from him, and he still hasn't been on TV since September despite being cleared a full month ago

He turned 38 yesterday. The window of opportunity for him being utilized was already noticeably closing in the company, and if his issue is lack of being utilized, he's running out of time to take a chance on himself and say he deserves to be given stuff to do, he can't really afford to be paid to sit at home aside from the occasional house show for another full calendar year

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    they have too much talent right now.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Chris Helmsworth is playing Hulk Hogan in a Netflix biopic movie.

https://uproxx.com/movies/chris-hemsworth-hulk-hogan-movie/?fbclid=IwAR2j3yG-qeUsdgq6rN3EmlW3kQUX2LKGUJvrx2r1IYTxh0-mOqTpQ-QJBUQ
    The deal, which took months to put together, will include life rights with Bollea acting as a consultant on the movie as well as executive producer… Deals for the Hogan project are in the midst of closing with Netflix. (Via)

Cause nothing but good has happened when Hogan has creative input.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y66x4LMOWUg
    SI wrote:
    Rob Van Dam’s new documentary, “Headstrong”, offers a fascinating look at Van Dam as a person and performer.

The original premise of the hour-long documentary was to reveal an inside look at a week of Van Dam’s comedy shows, but that soon turned into a vehicle for the aspiring comedian to share his thoughts on pro wrestling, concussions, and a look into his soul.

“At first, we were going to make a documentary of seven days of comedy shows,” said Van Dam. “But I couldn’t have predicted that, on day one, I would still have concussion symptoms from a wrestling match I’d had days earlier. I just thought it would go away and I wouldn’t tell anyone, because I normally wouldn’t, but it became something that I had to share.”
    The concussion caused Van Dam to suffer from blurred vision during the documentary, and he openly discussed the reality of brain injuries in wrestling.

“There were times I had to close one eye so I wouldn’t see double during the documentary,” said Van Dam. “But I took pride in how hard I could take a hit. That was my mentality.

“I came into the business at 185 pounds when I met the original Sheik, and I had to prove to him I was tough enough for his school. It is a fighting art, and it was important to me, as a performer and artist, to show the boys in the back that they couldn’t survive the toughness of a match with RVD.”

Van Dam did not consider or concern himself with the possibility that WWE will not approve of the documentary.

“I’ve never even thought about that, and I won’t,” said Van Dam. “It is what it is. We are living tomorrow’s history, so it’s really important to me that I get it right. I don’t want anyone else giving their spin on me, it should come from me. Like Popeye said, ‘I am what I am.’”

The documentary also explores Van Dam’s spiritual vibration (“The higher I get my frequency, the better person I can be,” said Van Dam. “And I always want to be at my best.”) and reveals that he has pledged to donate his brain and spine to study after his death, all while showcasing his witty sense of humor.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Damn, that RVD documentary sounds really good.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The Hulk Hogan biopic, on the other hand, fucking why?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Chris Helmsworth is playing Hulk Hogan in a Netflix biopic movie.

https://uproxx.com/movies/chris-hemsworth-hulk-hogan-movie/?fbclid=IwAR2j3yG-qeUsdgq6rN3EmlW3kQUX2LKGUJvrx2r1IYTxh0-mOqTpQ-QJBUQ
    The deal, which took months to put together, will include life rights with Bollea acting as a consultant on the movie as well as executive producer… Deals for the Hogan project are in the midst of closing with Netflix. (Via)

Cause nothing but good has happened when Hogan has creative input.

I for one can't wait to see a movie version of the time Hogan press slammed the fifteen ton Andre, sending him high enough that the resulting shock wave on impact actually kills the first four rows of the five million (no comps) in attendance.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd side eye Chris Hemsworth for getting involved in rehabing a racists pr.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    sounds like WWE needs another 2 hour show

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I don't think every wrestler needs or can be a main eventer, but that doesn't mean they can't be featured in the shows and have roles to play.

I think that's why the Attitude era has so much nostalgia, when people think about it they're not just remember Austin, Rock, and what not, but Val Venis, the Hoe Train (Which yeah has aged poorly, but what was a character that was given time to shine), Al Snow, The Brood, etc.

This is definitely true for me.

Sure, most people were attracted to the Stone Cold/McMahon war, the rise of the Rock from the Nation, D-X, etc.

But I also remember Crash Holly as the Superheavyweight Hardcore champion, the Gang Wars stuff between the DOA, the Nation, and Los Boricuas, the JOB Squad, The Oddities, and all other manner of lower to midcard nonsense from that era.

When I look back on post-Attitude Era WWE, I don't know how much of the lower to midcard stuff I'm really going to remember.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    But I also remember Crash Holly as the Superheavyweight Hardcore champion.....

Every time I read/hear Crash Holly's name I instantly imagine him carrying that giant scale and I smile so damn much. Gone too soon.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I would love to see a Crash Holly that lived longer and entered the CWC claiming he'd lost a ton of weight and was ready to win the cruiserweight title.

Such a simple gimmick idea, but it made him stand out as probably the smallest guy in the company at the time.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    NXT Spoilers
    They went with the version where Velveteen won the title.

Dusty Classic starts next week

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

This is definitely true for me.

Sure, most people were attracted to the Stone Cold/McMahon war, the rise of the Rock from the Nation, D-X, etc.

But I also remember Crash Holly as the Superheavyweight Hardcore champion, the Gang Wars stuff between the DOA, the Nation, and Los Boricuas, the JOB Squad, The Oddities, and all other manner of lower to midcard nonsense from that era.

When I look back on post-Attitude Era WWE, I don't know how much of the lower to midcard stuff I'm really going to remember.

That was the really great thing about the Attitude Era. There was just so much going on. Everybody had a memorable character, and everybody had a feud and/or a story. Looking back now, there's a lot to cringe over for a lot of reasons, but everyone up and down the card got their turn in the spotlight.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    NXT taping tonight, spoiler:
    According to reports the whole taping was fantastic, they also recorded most of the Dusty Classic too.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    NXT taping tonight, spoiler:
    According to reports the whole taping was fantastic, they also recorded most of the Dusty Classic too.
    DIY have a new name for their finisher

"Meet Me In The Middle"

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    God the Gargano/Ciampa stuff from this set of tapings seems like a fucking mess
    We just wrapped up like half a year of Gargano/Ciampa fueding

Gargano turned heel and it looked like we would get a 2 man power trip running NXT

But

Johnny already dropped his title and also has seemingly turned face AGAIN and is now going after the NXT Title AGAIN

Why even do the "Gargano can't win the big one, turns heel" part of it at that point???

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Gargano/Ciampa
    Personally I thought it would be cool if they were both heel but still hated each other. That's sorta what I see in this.

Unrelated but more free Impact:

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Given Johnny ends tapings triumphantly celebrating with Candice and getting cheered, I don't think he is heel

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Given Johnny ends tapings triumphantly celebrating with Candice and getting cheered, I don't think he is heel
    Oh I didn't see that, dang

• Options
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Oh I didn't see that, dang
    I kind of feel like this was the path this storyline was always destined to take, though? And I don't think most folks really bought in to Johnny's heel turn, he's not a dude they want to boo.

In other NXT tapings spoiler stuff:
    Holy shit, why are they pushing the Forgotten Sons so hard? There's nothing interesting about them, Full Sail sits on their hands during their matches (and they'll pop for any veterans of the Central Florida Armory circuit), and they're in the Dusty finals? It's just weird.

• Options
    Regarding the Gargano/Ciampa spoilers, just read them and it sounds okay?
    Gargano feels at his lowest since he lost his just newly won belt, so Ciampa is able to goad him into officially reforming DIY.

They have success in one match.

Then they lose the next. Ciampa, predictably goes to betray Gargano, but Gargano is able to come out on top.

This I guess will be his "see the light moment" and he may come out next taping and apologize to the fans. Or he could remain a tweener.

It feels a bit more rushed than I was hoping for, but it's not horrible I thought.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    let bull dempsey be a wrestling baby again

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Gargano feels at his lowest since he lost his just newly won belt, so Ciampa is able to goad him into officially reforming DIY.

Then they lose the next. Ciampa, predictably goes to betray Gargano, but Gargano is able to come out on top.

This I guess will be his "see the light moment" and he may come out next taping and apologize to the fans. Or he could remain a tweener.

It feels a bit more rushed than I was hoping for, but it's not horrible I thought.
    This is ignoring their Main Roster debuts where they beat 2 established tag teams, one of which are the Raw champions, and should absolutely be factored in since it was treated as "canon" by WWE

Reforming DIY and letting them get huge wins and debut on Raw and Smackdown only to have them break up after a third match and undo a heel turn that has only been around for like a couple months is horribly paced and seems super unnecessary

Especially since of the last 5 Takeovers, 3 of them have had Gargano vs. Ciampa matches (with multiple Takeovers in 2017 having them as well) and a fourth was heavily built around Gargano and Ciampa's relationship rebuilding and Johnny turning heel

The story has taken way too long and had too many seeming finishes and honestly I am just bored of Gargano/Ciampa no matter how good the matches are

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I would rather they just bar everyone from ringside. No cages, no gimmicks. Just two dudes fighting each other.

Then, Kofi doesn't enter with the New Day and can enter solo to his old theme, get some Boom Boom Boom pyro, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdnBh3mOl9U

You can still have Big E and Xavier come out and do the "Don't you dare be sour" entrance, just tailored to Kofi. He comes out to his own theme and then they hug him, give him a pep talk, and send him on his way by himself.

If he's going to challenge at WM, really do it up.

As nice as that would be as fans, that would be god awful to do to New Day, who have stuck by each other and built this thing from the ground up. You know they wanna be out there for Kofi and Kofi's gonna want them out there with him.

So a cage match is fine IMO.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

This is ignoring their Main Roster debuts where they beat 2 established tag teams, one of which are the Raw champions, and should absolutely be factored in since it was treated as "canon" by WWE

Reforming DIY and letting them get huge wins and debut on Raw and Smackdown only to have them break up after a third match and undo a heel turn that has only been around for like a couple months is horribly paced and seems super unnecessary

Especially since of the last 5 Takeovers, 3 of them have had Gargano vs. Ciampa matches (with multiple Takeovers in 2017 having them as well) and a fourth was heavily built around Gargano and Ciampa's relationship rebuilding and Johnny turning heel

The story has taken way too long and had too many seeming finishes and honestly I am just bored of Gargano/Ciampa no matter how good the matches are
    I get the sense that the intent was absolutely to bring them up as DIY and someone definitely called a last second audible. This in turn gave way to a hasty and poorly executed rewrite to put thing back to status quo. In other words the standard WWE creative method.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
This discussion has been closed.