As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Snake Pit will decide if you got the [job] or not

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    These would be good conversations to have with the person, though, actually. "I see you just did something super linear, how would you change it up if we needed to do this a million times a day?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Using my last bit of sick time today. Hope I'm good for the next 10 months.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    bowen wrote: »
    Code stuff on interviews is dumb to begin with, regardless if it's fizzbuzz or taking a screenshot of a url though...

For inbound applications this is the first step to see if we should proceed with the first interview. Writing code during interviews is godawful. We discuss development in general, but we never even look at any code during the interview.

For outbound recruiting I think the recruiters have an informal interview or two to see if they should proceed and give them the challenge.
    you might want to word that better because I would literally take a screenshot of a URL instead of making a dump of the page like it seems like you want.

That's what we want - a screenshot of a web page. But they took a dump of the whole screen. I don't run my browser maximized, so that's a pile of screenshots of my desktop as well.
    These would be good conversations to have with the person, though, actually. "I see you just did something super linear, how would you change it up if we needed to do this a million times a day?"

...that's actually also a part of the challenge. That exact question. :rotate: Alas, they gave no answer, so ignore my original "bare minimum".

I felt my own solution when I applied was extraordinarily shitty - I used some headless Windows Forms thing that opened a URL and could take a screenshot of the page, but that used IE7 or whatever it was and pages looked like shit. But eh, good enough for a POC, and code-wise you could just swap it out for something else since it was an interface. My original idea was to make a REST API to queue up stuff, but I really didn't have the time to do that back then.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    On the plus side, we missed rush hour, and the drive up there and back was very smooth.

I nearly got crushed by a semi but luckily my car is small enough that I just went under its side instead.

I didn’t see any accidents and only two ambulances went by! So all in all it was a win for Seattle commuting.

I feel like this isn't getting enough attention

Allow me to explain with the following extremely crude (but, I believe, effective) illustration:

I wasn’t sure if I needed to be in the left or middle lane, so I decided to turn with the car in front of me, into the middle.

Thin black lines = traffic lanes
    Red arrows = direction of traffic
    Black box = car in front of me
    Blue box = me
    Green box = semi

2019-02-20%2022.30.55.jpg

Half of the hood/bonnet of my car went under the semi, but since my car is low to the ground I avoided a collision.

The semi driver didn’t even notice! I managed to turn around easily enough.

I want to Awesome this, but I don't want to Awesome this.
    Awesome that you avoided a nasty accident!

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Job!

It is Thursday of what was a short week, so of course it feels now like an extra-long week.

I rushed that draft to my analyst yesterday. We talked a little about it before she gave it the English-teacher treatment and agreed she doesn't have to do that yet. I really just wanted her input on the content, not the quality. So now I'm working with the feeling you might have if a teacher handed you back a paper and said, "You don't really want me to grade this yet, do you?"

It's fun how you can still be made to feel like an inadequate kid, regardless of your age, position, or experience!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Last night I was a volunteer judge for the business ethics event for the regional business competition my high school participates in.

It went well!

But one group based their entire presentation off of Kantian philosophy.

And when I, a philosophy major (and a steering committee member for a collegiate ethics competition), asked a more in-depth question about their model they incorrectly explained to me Kantian philosophy.

tenor.gif

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Voluntary time off because there are more people than necessary today. Maybe I can do lunch with my parents!

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The company I've worked at for 12 years sent me a "Long Term Incentive" bonus, which is a rather considerable amount (to me) of company stock that will vest over the next three years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVf2fuX4XeY

I've never had tangible evidence that they didn't want to lose me!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I called the bowling alley yesterday to make sure they were still looking for someone for front desk. They asked me if I had bowling alley experience and I told them no, but I had plenty of customer service and office experience from my work history. Then they asked me if I had any mechanical inclination/experience. I said I worked on cars with my dad a bit, which is true in the loosest sense, it was more watch him work while I hold the light.

Anyway, I have an interview at 5 PM today. It'd be great to get something to supplement my income and make moving a whole lot easier.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Back at work after a 3-day vacation. Extremely difficult to care when there's only two days left in the week.

Also, someone scheduled an 8 AM meeting for this morning, which is a terrible way to come back from vacation! So I called in to the meeting and it was a 10-minute "cool so i just wanted to make sure everyone looked at the document i sent out."

come on man why did you make me wake up so early for that :?

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    @Calica - I believe that legally it would make you a rehire of the mothership, and unfortunately a company doesn’t have any legal obligation to reinstate gained benefits to a rehire, from what I can see.

Drat. Oh well.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Last night I was a volunteer judge for the business ethics event for the regional business competition my high school participates in.

It went well!

And when I, a philosophy major (and a steering committee member for a collegiate ethics competition), asked a more in-depth question about their model they incorrectly explained to me Kantian philosophy.

tenor.gif

... so when you asked them to explain it, they should've just said, "We Kant" ?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It went well!

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2df83e80509270b01b5d4279801f272c/tenor.gif

For that joke to have worked they would have to have been pronouncing his last name correctly.

Which they weren't.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I hope they were saying it in the way that rhymes with front.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Calica - I believe that legally it would make you a rehire of the mothership, and unfortunately a company doesn’t have any legal obligation to reinstate gained benefits to a rehire, from what I can see.

Drat. Oh well.

Even if they don't have a legal obligation, it doesn't hurt to ask. One of my coworkers came back to the system after five years away and asked if she could be credited with her old tenure when it came to the leave calculations. The software wouldn't have done it automatically, but HR was like "Yeah, that makes sense."

Depends on what kind of employee retention philosophy your company has.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It went well!

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2df83e80509270b01b5d4279801f272c/tenor.gif

For that joke to have worked they would have to have been pronouncing his last name correctly.

Which they weren't.

Clearly they should have known it rhymes with 'was a real piss-ant'.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Wait, is this not the correct way?

That may explain some of the looks I got

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

To quote the philosopher, Kront....

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Spent the morning at our board of trustees meeting along with half the administration, local CEOs, media, and students who were protesting the state legislature forcing the president to step down. It was essentially a funeral, with all the trustees but the ones representing students and faculty having already decided to sack him and bow to the legislature.

Which, fine. His hands weren't clean and his flailing to fix the problems at the university was what defunded my office. Whatever. It's complicated. But it was an ugly, ugly meeting with people yelling back and forth at eachother before, during, and after and the media just ate it up. So that sucked.

Held our bi-annual stakeholder meeting after, just got out of it. Half RSVP'd (historically we have nearly universal attendance), of the half, only a handful actually showed. Those that did either stayed silent the whole time we briefed them or demanded we use our remaining salaries as award funds for other units.

Which was... not great.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

To quote the philosopher, Kront....

No, that's Yzma's advisor in The Emperor's New Groove voiced by Patrick Warburton.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Spent the morning at our board of trustees meeting along with half the administration, local CEOs, media, and students who were protesting the state legislature forcing the president to step down. It was essentially a funeral, with all the trustees but the ones representing students and faculty having already decided to sack him and bow to the legislature.

Which, fine. His hands weren't clean and his flailing to fix the problems at the university was what defunded my office. Whatever. It's complicated. But it was an ugly, ugly meeting with people yelling back and forth at eachother before, during, and after and the media just ate it up. So that sucked.

Held our bi-annual stakeholder meeting after, just got out of it. Half RSVP'd (historically we have nearly universal attendance), of the half, only a handful actually showed. Those that did either stayed silent the whole time we briefed them or demanded we use our remaining salaries as award funds for other units.

Which was... not great.

Were they the retinue from Neptune? On the planet where that makes sense?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

Which was... not great.

Were they the retinue from Neptune? On the planet where that makes sense?

I feel like I'm not even fully understanding it.

Are they basically just saying "we want to take your salaries away and reassign them to places we want" as if that is a thing that would happen and enc and crew would just keep working for $0?

Or am I not reading that right at all.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Stakeholder: So why aren't you doing awards right now?
    Us: We have no money left in our accounts. We can keep the lights on through June at best, but probably March.
    Stakeholder: So you have money, use that.
    Us: That's just our salaries and rent.
    Stakeholder: Exactly.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Us: We have no money left in our accounts. We can keep the lights on through June at best, but probably March.

Man fuck that person.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    You misspelled asshat there Enc.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Note: a lot of what we do is fund awards at this time of year to give other units the ability to try new things, that we then measure and assess to see if they work for larger implementation across the university. That money, like our operations, was swept.

okay so now the buildings stay on until june but no one is there to literally staff it for 4 months

Ain't no one gonna stick around, this isn't a federal budget thing where more money is going to come in once everyone agrees. This is "someone defrauded the university of all of the liquid capital it had". I mean sure you could do that, but you won't have a university either, so you're essentially in the same boat.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Note: a lot of what we do is fund awards at this time of year to give other units the ability to try new things, that we then measure and assess to see if they work for larger implementation across the university. That money, like our operations, was swept.

I guess, from asshat's perspective: It was your group's job to give awards. If your group is going to cease to exist, why exist for a few more months if there will be no awards? Just cease to exist now so we can have the money.

Shitty, but it makes a certain, shitty kind of sense.

The stakeholder just wants money for their own project and is essentially stabbing us in the back now that we aren't flush. Its the usual jackass behavior you get when blood is in the water. Folks ignore you, leave, or go for blood.

To be clear as well, the awards are about half of our budget during normal operation but are only about 30% of our programming. They do a lot of good, but we have a lot of programming, about 60% of which we are still doing to some capacity with us down to 3 people from 10 and down to less than $2k in non salary funding for the rest of the year.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    We are throwing a hen party for our office manager (with her consent!) and we thought we'd get maybe a handful of people able to attend. Turns out every single woman in the office is attending which is a true testament to how lovely and kind our office manager is. It's always good to see kind people's niceness rewarded and I hope she sees how loved she is!

The stakeholder just wants money for their own project and is essentially stabbing us in the back now that we aren't flush. Its the usual jackass behavior you get when blood is in the water. Folks ignore you, leave, or go for blood.

Sure. The stakeholder isn't looking at people in your department and thinking of their livelihoods. They're thinking of that money! That could be theirs! Just, going to waste!

I've funded that stakeholder's programming for four years. Wrote letters of support for it. Funded conference and presentation travel for them. I'm even in multiple marketing videos promoting it. Probably somewhere in the range of $50k in direct and indirect funding.

The sense of betrayal and worthlessness is... strong.

Sorry to debbie downer in here guys. I don't have many outlets right now.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Man, you think people around the campus would have learned something about funding one-off expenses out of Operating budget.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Fishman wrote: »

Man, you think people around the campus would have learned something about funding one-off expenses out of Operating budget.

This is really funny to me. Thank you. :)

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Dude Enc, feel free to vent. As much as we can be we are here for you. I just wish there was a tangible thing I could do to help.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I'll 3d print this octopus flipping people the bird and send it to whoever you want @Enc

That shits super lame and I'm sorry this has happened.

PSN: jfrofl
    This is a legit reason why this thread exists I feel like.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    This thread is literally about venting about your job! We're all here for you if you need to get something off your chest!

This discussion has been closed.