As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I don’t have a problem with the new website, but too be honest I barely use it. I download the podcasts through PocketCasts and use either Youtube or the GBTV app to watch stuff on my iPad.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Re Anthem: I think that my tolerance for issues with games is still being influenced by the fact that I finished KOTOR despite my Xbox failing to read the disc and freezing on the load screen half the time. As long as I find something I really like, I'll ignore the other stuff.

The conversation/comments Austin and Jeff make about games like FO4 are pretty emblematic of their differing levels of tolerance around what I'm going to call the good game/BS ratio.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Austin has like 100% come around to Jeff's take on Bethesda now.

I mean yea FO76 broke pretty much everyone's faith in Bethesda.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular

oh I need audio proof asap. i need to hear Austin's take

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited February 2019
    I think you would have to look through Austin's twitter feed probs. There's some tweet where he says "now I know what other people felt like when they played FO4" or something unless I"m imagining it. I can't remember if they talk about it on the podcast.

finnith on

oh I need audio proof asap. i need to hear Austin's take

It was during the 76 stuff on Waypoint. I have no idea what episode. IIRC, he even brings up that he was probably not critical enough on Fallout 4.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Via the GB forums:

"@wemmick said:
    Shows page really is just meant to be a way for people to find shows they know the name of and to see all the shows at a glance - it was not meant to be a primary navigation path, hence it being a sub-page under the Videos nav."

Umm what? Thankfully, there's a really good rebuttal of that point. Somebody else pointed out that if you're away from the site now for a few months that the new design makes it almost impossible to know what you missed and the response back is "That's not one of our use-cases." Again, umm what? They produce SO MUCH long form content, even if I'm away for a week for work I find it difficult to catch up with all the content. It should absolutely be a consideration for them.

Seriously, just give me the old site back.

The watchlist function (ie subscribe to this show) works fairly well for this, but I did notice that it broke over new years as 2018 shows were in a different dropdown to 2019 ones, even if they were episode 5 of a series etc.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Austin jokingly said FO76 was so bad as a form of karma for defending FO4 as hard as he did.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I mean, given what people keep showing about Fallout 76 I imagine that makes Fallout 4 look good by comparison

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I’m quietly stoked for Rage 2

edited February 2019
    Ceno wrote: »

People are referring to Bethesda's development studio, rather than thier publishing arm.

Fallout 76 being trash doesn't affect my anticipation of Doom Eternal, for example.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Via the GB forums:

"@wemmick said:
    Shows page really is just meant to be a way for people to find shows they know the name of and to see all the shows at a glance - it was not meant to be a primary navigation path, hence it being a sub-page under the Videos nav."

Umm what? Thankfully, there's a really good rebuttal of that point. Somebody else pointed out that if you're away from the site now for a few months that the new design makes it almost impossible to know what you missed and the response back is "That's not one of our use-cases." Again, umm what? They produce SO MUCH long form content, even if I'm away for a week for work I find it difficult to catch up with all the content. It should absolutely be a consideration for them.

The watchlist function (ie subscribe to this show) works fairly well for this, but I did notice that it broke over new years as 2018 shows were in a different dropdown to 2019 ones, even if they were episode 5 of a series etc.

They seemed to have fixed this for some shows I checked recently. Like Steal My Sunshine used to default to having the carousel only showing 2-3 episodes from 2018, and you had to know to change the year drop down to get more, it now the carousel lets you page through the entire show.

They really need to get rid of sorting by years for shows. It only really works for GOTY. They could instead separate by “series”, which would actually be really useful for something like This Is The Run

edited February 2019
    Ceno wrote: »

People are referring to Bethesda's development studio, rather than thier publishing arm.

Fallout 76 being trash doesn't affect my anticipation of Doom Eternal, for example.

Oh I know

I brought it up because it appears to be a post apocalyptic wasteland game that doesn’t look terrible and happens to be Bethesda related

DOOM Eternal is handily my most anticipated game. I am giddy.

Ceno on
    ronzo wrote: »
    Via the GB forums:

"@wemmick said:

They seemed to have fixed this for some shows I checked recently. Like Steal My Sunshine used to default to having the carousel only showing 2-3 episodes from 2018, and you had to know to change the year drop down to get more, it now the carousel lets you page through the entire show.

They really need to get rid of sorting by years for shows. It only really works for GOTY. They could instead separate by “series”, which would actually be really useful for something like This Is The Run

Shows like Mass Alex and This is the Run ARE seperated out into the different "series" rather then by year.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »
    why would anyone want a light theme???

Light themes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark themes

can I agree more than once?

You might as well, no one else will agree.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Dan called the guy who gave them soda on the RE2 playdate an "astral physicist".

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    To him they might as well be the same thing

PSN SeGaTai
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Dan called the guy who gave them soda on the RE2 playdate an "astral physicist".

Maybe it's just me but I heard astrophysicist. They're definitely a thing.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Maybe it's just me but I heard astrophysicist. They're definitely a thing.

Yeah, he also said the right thing originally. Afterwards he messes it up though. Just a slip of the tongue but still funny.

Breaking Brad spoilers
    I really thought Brad had it. By like an hour in he had figured out basically a smooth run, but then spent the remaining hour getting tilted and doing worse than normal, then he finally got back into a rhythm but kept missing the last two guys, which means he has an 8 second penalty (I believe by his best run, he's like 7 seconds short of getting the cheevo

But it's certainly a very encouraging stream, not only due to Lastimosa's words but Brad says he feels like they have one more BB:Titanfall 2 stream before he gets it.

I hope he gets it super early next stream so they have nothing left to do, and then I bet they just play more Titanfall 2, either those levels in the campaign people like so much (house factory and that other one, you know the one) or more MP stuff if they can find anybody to play with

steam_sig.png

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    As the PA guys said Titanfall 2 has had a mild uptick in player population since Apex came out, so maybe there'll at least be some light UPF shenanigans or something

BRIAN BLESSED on
    I just like that this free to play battle royale game has given everyone an excuse to talk about Titanfall 2 again and how good it was. And having things like weapon names click for everybody since they've all played so much Apex.

steam_sig.png

I've been playing almost nothing but Titanfall 2 since Apex dropped and having a blast. Apex is very much not for me, but Titanfall remains awesome. It's one of the few multiplayer shooters I am not too shabby at and also just a blast from beginning to end. I just wish there was a "mute all" button.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Re Anthem: I think that my tolerance for issues with games is still being influenced by the fact that I finished KOTOR despite my Xbox failing to read the disc and freezing on the load screen half the time. As long as I find something I really like, I'll ignore the other stuff.

The conversation/comments Austin and Jeff make about games like FO4 are pretty emblematic of their differing levels of tolerance around what I'm going to call the good game/BS ratio.

I realized this about myself as well. I like Jeff a lot, and on a lot of things we agree, but I've realized I have a much, much higher tolerance for bullshit than he does. Which is fine, differing opinions are good. I tend to overlook a lot of stuff that Jeff finds completely unpalatable and experience ruining.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I've found a similar thing with Brad. Good dude, but there are games that he has declared "Unplayable" because of performance/framerate issues where I didn't even notice.

Jeff has been in the industry for like over 20 years, so I'm not surprised his bullshit tolerance is low. Especially when there's 50,000 fucking games coming out every day and one has to be choosy with what they pick.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I also think, for as strong as Jeff was critiquing Anthem, no one else really had strong counter feelings of it being really good. Jason was the most positive and he still called it a bad launch and really flawed. He just saw an underlying good gameplay that could be brought to the forefront, where as Jeff did not.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I like Anthem and that's kind of my feeling. There is good game play there and I hope BioWare can find ways to bring it out, but some of the infrastructure around the game play is really frustrating. It's like they didn't even look at how other shared space shooters were doing things and kind of missed the boat on the feeling of seemlessness people want from these games, especially when playing with friends. The moment to moment game play is fun enough that I'll be playing it, but BioWare needs to do A LOT of work on the infrastructure of the game itself. The UI, how you launch in to missions, how often you hit loading screens, etc.

So I guess I'm closer to Jason than Jeff on this one.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    It’s still kind of shocking to me that they put so much hoop jumping around flying. Would it be that bad if you could just fly from point a to be without dive bombing or dunking in water? Or better yet, encourage people to do that kind of stuff with stunt achievements, xp bonuses, etc.

It’s disappointing to me that they took the coolest thing about the game and hamstrung it to work with standard design, rather than build every encounter and action around that one incredible mechanic.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    It’s still kind of shocking to me that they put so much hoop jumping around flying. Would it be that bad if you could just fly from point a to be without dive bombing or dunking in water? Or better yet, encourage people to do that kind of stuff with stunt achievements, xp bonuses, etc.

It’s disappointing to me that they took the coolest thing about the game and hamstrung it to work with standard design, rather than build every encounter and action around that one incredible mechanic.

I would love to hear the dev arguments about why they decided to limit flight when there are already sections with "flight inhibitors."

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

God yes. Outside of performance issues, overheating is my #1 complaint with the game. Your jets should last at least 10x longer, if not just get rid of Overheating in total.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I think the thought process was something like "we need to give people something to do when they're flying around or else they'll just take the shortest distance between two points and it'll be boring"

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’m of the mind that there should be bonuses for doing the thing rather than penalties for not doing the thing.

Also, why should players be punished if the map is not worth seeing?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Olivaw wrote: »

I think the thought process was something like "we need to give people something to do when they're flying around or else they'll just take the shortest distance between two points and it'll be boring"

And also in combat players would just hover/fly around for the most part, which I bet makes for some real fun AI issues.

I wonder how they'll figure out environment design if you have to constantly fly through water. They should probably just make it a combat-only mechanic imo.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Vinny/Brad/Jeff/Dan are streaming some Anthem
    https://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

If I haven't gotten any Destiny expansions or anything but haven't played since around launch, is there new stuff there? That isn't a raid, specifically.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing we're getting a Jeff review of Anthem, since he finished it and didn't like it. Probably waiting for 'release' day and real player counts for the final touches.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, Scoops put up his Anthem review/thoughts.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited February 2019
    One of the frequently recurring complaints I hear about now is the whole "why did they limit flight like this why can't I fly forever this is awful" arguments, and I think it nearly summates the problems Anthem has had and will continue to have

Is that people saw other games and other elements in Anthem, drew their own conclusions as to how the game would behave (should behave) from those elements, and disappointed themselves when they didn't behave how they expected them to
    Flight is deliberately limited as such so that the sky box and playable space doesn't become overly expansive to the point where its scale makes everything seem laughably small, or restrictive in the way of invisible walls
    The cooldown mechanic has better suspension of disbelief than a stamina-bar style fuel gauge and ties player movement to navigation through the environment so players aren't completely disconnected from the window dressing
    Yes, this is a shameless cut and paste post from one I made a while back in the Anthem thread

Now should they do more to incentivise actually interacting with the window dressing? Sure. I hear of plenty people who hate the resource gathering and interacting with the NPC characters just as much as the ones who love doing those things between Freeplay and home base (Jeff especially). But in the context of collecting resources and directing players towards their overall progression, giving players the freedom to just whoosh over everything in between story encounter A and B means they're much less likely to engage with the systems that surround the combat (especially if they're never going to actually see those things), some of which help those Numbers Go Up faster in a big way

Now I do think there should be an argument for "well they should hopefully tune it so that out-of-combat movement is more generous and less of a chore when there's nothing else actually going on or the player isn't interested in progressing laterally" then yeah I'm with you, but mechcanically these limiters are put in place from distinct design decisions that affect everything from enemy design to combat flow and encounter layout

BRIAN BLESSED on
This discussion has been closed.