As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Totally Accurate Battle Sim (EA) out today!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That is seven dollars too much money

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Watching a video of someone else playing The Quiet Man is free, and better than actually having to play it.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Thimbleweed Park is the new free game on the Epic Games Store: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/thimbleweed-park/home
    Replacing it in two weeks is Slime Rancher.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    BATTLETECH is so, so good. It also has a poor tutorial and a significant learning curve. If anyone gives the free weekend a try and has a question or wants some tips, just @ me in the thread and I'll come a-runnin!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Total Warhammer folks: is there any point at all to sending your heroes out to do missions? It seems like the success chances are incredibly low.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

oh wow, that's all of the founders of RPS gone now, I think

Alec Meer is still there, I believe. He'll be the last.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    BATTLETECH is so, so good. It also has a poor tutorial and a significant learning curve. If anyone gives the free weekend a try and has a question or wants some tips, just @ me in the thread and I'll come a-runnin!

It's downloading now, but I've literally never played a mech game this sim-ish (other than some mechwarrior game when I was like 13 that I understood not at all) so if you have any general starter/beginner tips I'm all ears!

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Total Warhammer folks: is there any point at all to sending your heroes out to do missions? It seems like the success chances are incredibly low.

There's abilities in the skill tree that make the hero actions more likely, and certain hero actions are easier to accomplish, but ultimately they're not much use until they've got a few levels on them. To be honest I've always found them more useful embedded in an army, using their abilities to augment it.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

There's abilities in the skill tree that make the hero actions more likely, and certain hero actions are easier to accomplish, but ultimately they're not much use until they've got a few levels on them. To be honest I've always found them more useful embedded in an army, using their abilities to augment it.

The heroes are super good to have doing a mission in the province but mostly for the extra income/happiness they get from that part of the tree

The assinasstions and wall breechs are useful but not as much

icGJy2C.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

It's downloading now, but I've literally never played a mech game this sim-ish (other than some mechwarrior game when I was like 13 that I understood not at all) so if you have any general starter/beginner tips I'm all ears!

I do @Houk the Namebringer!!

Facing matters. If you have an armor blowthrough on your right side, for example, exposing weapons and critical structure, twist your mech so that enemy fire is coming into your left. Similarly, if you can focus fire enemy mechs on one side, you'll get through to the innards faster.

In the campaign, you want to modify your mechs to add and even max out front armor. Armor is repaired for free and instantly after each mission. But as soon as you take damage through armor to internal structure, there's a cost and, even worse, time to repair. When you start out, having a mech out of action is time spent not earning C-Bills. And since the only way to lose the game is to not have enough money to pay the bills every month, the clock is always ticking. It is worth reducing some firepower to add armor. Many early mechs have do-nothing weapons like SRM2's and LRM5's that can be dropped to make weight for armor. A modest reduction in firepower can be compensated for with tactics vs. the AI and focus-firing down the opposition.

Since modifying your mechs takes time in the mechbay, do you modifications when you are in transit from system to system. Using that unproductive travel time for repairs and upgrades will mean more billable hours in-system taking missions.

The Spider you start with is a death trap. Stop using it as soon as possible.

Bulwark is the best skill hands down. Most if not all of your pilots should have it. Bulwark plus Multi-Target is a great combo, and was usually on 2-3 of my pilots each mission. Sensor Lock is a good skill but actually more useful in the mid to late game when you have mechs with indirect fire capability who can lob a murder of missiles at a target from out of line of sight.

The tutorial's second most criminal omission is that you can eject a pilot from a mech. There's a tiny button in the lower, left. Doing so saves the pilot and destroys the head of you mech (which may be vastly preferable to having it's center torso cored or key weapon systems destroyed.)

The tutorials most criminal omission is that you can withdraw from any non-story battle. I think the button is in the upper, right? You take a hit on reputation, but that's often preferable to losing mechs or taking a total company wipe when that softball 2 skull mission turns out to be facing down two lances of heavies.

Don't worry about reputation too much at the start. Just focus on replacing your Locust and Spider, up-armoring your mechs and building up a cash reserve.

Getting a feel for when to take cash and when to take salvage on a mission is key. Early missions might have you facing a bunch of Locusts and light tanks. Those missions it might be better to take some salvage and some cash. As your pilots skill up (and you skill up) and you have some more firepower, you may want to push the salvage on harder missions to try to take home better mechs - first some more mediums, then some heavies and eventually assaults.

Salvage works like this with the default settings: When you destroy a mech, you get one piece of mech salvage. If you destroy both of the legs on a mech without blowing up the center torso, you get two pieces of salvage. And if you destroy the head without blowing up the CT, you get three pieces of salvage. After you collect three pieces of salvage, you get that mech and can add it to your team or stick it in storage. (Feels good!) You also get three pieces if you incapacitate the pilot. Pilots take damage when the mech falls (from stability damage) or when a side torso is destroyed or when the head is hit (if the head isn't destroyed.) Pilots can take usually 3-6 hits depending on level.

Early on your pilots are terrible at called shots (when you try to hit a mech in specific location.) As you level them up, they improve in called shot at level 6 in Tactics and again at level 9. Once you have the two base skills you want for each pilot, it's worth beelining for 6 in Tactics for this boost (and also 6 in Guts for the +15 heat threshold.)

Eck's Guide fills in a lot of missing information from the tutorial, especially about heat, weapon types and what information the interface is telling you.

EDIT: Oh, and Assassination missions are often key opportunities to snag a better mech since the target is almost always piloting something above your weight class.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    It seems like the heroes who get skills to lower the chance of enemy heroes being successful are particularly useful. I've just sent my guys versus theirs and like it's always "Dunwaithe Grobibrewer failed to assassinate this person."

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Fishman wrote: »

He announced last month that he was leaving in April.

I Zimbra on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

I do @Houk the Namebringer!!

Facing matters. If you have an armor blowthrough on your right side, for example, exposing weapons and critical structure, twist your mech so that enemy fire is coming into your left. Similarly, if you can focus fire enemy mechs on one side, you'll get through to the innards faster.

In the campaign, you want to modify your mechs to add and even max out front armor. Armor is repaired for free and instantly after each mission. But as soon as you take damage through armor to internal structure, there's a cost and, even worse, time to repair. When you start out, having a mech out of action is time spent not earning C-Bills. And since the only way to lose the game is to not have enough money to pay the bills every month, the clock is always ticking. It is worth reducing some firepower to add armor. Many early mechs have do-nothing weapons like SRM2's and LRM5's that can be dropped to make weight for armor. A modest reduction in firepower can be compensated for with tactics vs. the AI and focus-firing down the opposition.

Since modifying your mechs takes time in the mechbay, do you modifications when you are in transit from system to system. Using that unproductive travel time for repairs and upgrades will mean more billable hours in-system taking missions.

Bulwark is the best skill hands down. Most if not all of your pilots should have it. Bulwark plus Multi-Target is a great combo, and was usually on 2-3 of my pilots each mission. Sensor Lock is a good skill but actually more useful in the mid to late game when you have mechs with indirect fire capability who can lob a murder of missiles at a target from out of line of sight.

The tutorial's second most criminal omission is that you can eject a pilot from a mech. There's a tiny button in the lower, left. Doing so saves the pilot and destroys the head of you mech (which may be vastly preferable to having it's center torso cored or key weapon systems destroyed.)

The tutorials most criminal omission is that you can withdraw from any non-story battle. I think the button is in the upper, right? You take a hit on reputation, but that's often preferable to losing mechs or taking a total company wipe when that softball 2 skull mission turns out to be facing down two lances of heavies.

Don't worry about reputation too much at the start. Just focus on replacing your Locust and Spider, up-armoring your mechs and building up a cash reserve.

Getting a feel for when to take cash and when to take salvage on a mission is key. Early missions might have you facing a bunch of Locusts and light tanks. Those missions it might be better to take some salvage and some cash. As your pilots skill up (and you skill up) and you have some more firepower, you may want to push the salvage on harder missions to try to take home better mechs - first some more mediums, then some heavies and eventually assaults.

Salvage works like this with the default settings: When you destroy a mech, you get one piece of mech salvage. If you destroy both of the legs on a mech without blowing up the center torso, you get two pieces of salvage. And if you destroy the head without blowing up the CT, you get three pieces of salvage. After you collect three pieces of salvage, you get that mech and can add it to your team or stick it in storage. (Feels good!) You also get three pieces if you incapacitate the pilot. Pilots take damage when the mech falls (from stability damage) or when a side torso is destroyed or when the head is hit (if the head isn't destroyed.) Pilots can take usually 3-6 hits depending on level.

Early on your pilots are terrible at called shots (when you try to hit a mech in specific location.) As you level them up, they improve in called shot at level 6 in Tactics and again at level 9. Once you have the two base skills you want for each pilot, it's worth beelining for 6 in Tactics for this boost (and also 6 in Guts for the +15 heat threshold.)

Eck's Guide fills in a lot of missing information from the tutorial, especially about heat, weapon types and what information the interface is telling you.

EDIT: Oh, and Assassination missions are often key opportunities to snag a better mech since the target is almost always piloting something above your weight class.

This post has me both excited and terrified

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

I'm sorry, but I cannot support any action that might preempt Dekker's fate in a first-time playthrough.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

The heroes are super good to have doing a mission in the province but mostly for the extra income/happiness they get from that part of the tree

The assinasstions and wall breechs are useful but not as much

wall breeches can be hugely useful depending on what army you are

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've basically decided to buy Battletech, but I can't be bothered playing it now and then again and again every time a new expansion drops. I think I'd prefer to wait until the full experience is there and then pick it up all at once.

... I should probably bookmark this post.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It seems like the heroes who get skills to lower the chance of enemy heroes being successful are particularly useful. I've just sent my guys versus theirs and like it's always "Dunwaithe Grobibrewer failed to assassinate this person."

To be honest I've found the capability of the AI heroes so vastly outstrips the player heroes that I just mod the enemy hero ai to be totally passive essentially

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You guys talk too much. Apparently the character in Crackdown 3 that is voiced by Terry Crews was also modeled after him. Now I just want to see videos of it in action.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

He announced last month that he was leaving in April.

Huh, both him and Walker. Weird.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    An unexpected side benefit of the grievance mechanic in Civ 6: planning a domination victory makes you feel like a slighted supervillain. Sure, now it's the early Renaissance and we're all one big happy family, but as soon as I discover bombards I'm going to declare so many unjustified wars. You poor assholes are going to hate the absolute pants off me, and I'll be able to enumerate precisely how much you hate me, and I relish it.

As an OG Builder-class civ player, this change might actually make me more of a warmonger.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    More layoffs coming.

This is starting to remind me of... was it 2012-2013 where we had a ridiculous number of layoffs, over and over again?

Undead Scottsman on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    ArenaNet laying people off at least makes more sense to me than Activision's absolute horseshit

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    but also, fuck ArenaNet

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Does arenanet have big properties outside of Guild Wars 2?

... how popular is Guild Wars 2?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    An unexpected side benefit of the grievance mechanic in Civ 6: planning a domination victory makes you feel like a slighted supervillain. Sure, now it's the early Renaissance and we're all one big happy family, but as soon as I discover bombards I'm going to declare so many unjustified wars. You poor assholes are going to hate the absolute pants off me, and I'll be able to enumerate precisely how much you hate me, and I relish it.

As an OG Builder-class civ player, this change might actually make me more of a warmonger.

Hah, get bent, every civ in the world. You didn't like Peter the Great any more than I did, I don't know what you're so hissy about now that he's dead.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Does arenanet have big properties outside of Guild Wars 2?

... how popular is Guild Wars 2?

No and fine I suppose

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hey, Legacy of Kain: Defiance and Soul Reaver 1 & 2 are on sale for a buck each on Steam.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Ok, so i absolutely love Metro Exodus

It's everything i like about ecploring the more open areas of the previous metro games, along with the feelings of STALKER and generally having good design with the balance of leading you through designed routes, and still making you have to pick your way through.

It's been a little unstable, but really nothing serious.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh for fucks sake
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/02/eas-australian-studio-hit-by-massive-layoffs/

http://gameworkers.com.au/updates/feb-2019-statement-on-firemonkeys-layoffs/
    Although EA’s official statement says that the decision “may impact some roles”, GWU Australia understands that up to half of the studio, some 80 to 100 people, have been notified of possible redundancies.

A layoff of this magnitude would represent a loss of almost 10% of the entire Australian game development industry nationwide.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    picked up Iris.Fall last night

Pretty solid indie puzzle game. The tags call it an adventure game, but outside of a vestigial 'collect item, use item here' element it's not really. I'm apparently
    near the end, judging by the achievement list. A bit over 3 hours played.

The aesthetic is story-book creepy. Much of the time it's muted, nearly monochrome.

The puzzles don't feel super brain-bendy, but with the hints turned off it's not always clear what the goal of a given puzzle is. The solutions, especially early on (involving lights and shadows), are very satisfying. Some puzzles are interesting, like the Rubik's cube; some are more busy-work.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You guys talk too much. Apparently the character in Crackdown 3 that is voiced by Terry Crews was also modeled after him. Now I just want to see videos of it in action.

There's a lot of this that is very apparent in the opening cutscene.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

It's everything i like about ecploring the more open areas of the previous metro games, along with the feelings of STALKER and generally having good design with the balance of leading you through designed routes, and still making you have to pick your way through.

I keep hearing that the game drastically improves around 5ish hours in. Would you say that’s accurate?

Terry really doesn't say much in gameplay out of the opening cutscene. He has very few lines.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Terry really doesn't say much in gameplay out of the opening cutscene. He has very few lines.

Ah, the Bethesda approach.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Supposedly he was originally intended for being mostly marketing but really wanted to be in as a playable character so he was the last one they added.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Oh for fucks sake
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/02/eas-australian-studio-hit-by-massive-layoffs/

http://gameworkers.com.au/updates/feb-2019-statement-on-firemonkeys-layoffs/
    Although EA’s official statement says that the decision “may impact some roles”, GWU Australia understands that up to half of the studio, some 80 to 100 people, have been notified of possible redundancies.

A layoff of this magnitude would represent a loss of almost 10% of the entire Australian game development industry nationwide.

this sucks considerably considering this happened last year

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

I keep hearing that the game drastically improves around 5ish hours in. Would you say that’s accurate?

I don't think I'm that far in yet. I just really like the feel of this open map and all the long conbersations that you can listen in on. Like, artyom being a silent protaginist is still a bit weird. But it's also just a wonderfully slow and meditative series of games, and this one is exactly what i like so far

This discussion has been closed.