As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Totally Accurate Battle Sim (EA) out today!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    looks like an industrywide crunch is happening I guess

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Err

This can't be good

Anthem IGN Review

I'll wait for more reviews of course but Bioware spent a metric fuckton of money on this

6.5 ain't gonna cut it

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh don't worry the reviews are all pretty middling

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Is this the end of annual AAA game development?

God, I hope so.

Don't get me wrong, I love a big blockbuster game. But churning them out and depending on them to be critical and commercial successes to break even was never going to work

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    But Anthem isn't an annual AAA game?

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    But Anthem isn't an annual AAA game?

Ah I meant across the whole industry.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I don't think Anthem not being a success will have significant influence on the industry. Maybe EA will close Bioware.

It's certainly not gonna make Activision stop putting out a Call of Duty every year.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the thing about capitalism is that lessons are never learned, because the people in power do not experience consequences

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

This is one of my problems with the Anthem marketing: they're acting like this is an established, beloved universe. It's not, right now it's just a collection of randomly capitalized Nouns.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm a bit bored because I already saw so many people play Anthem

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »

This is one of my problems with the Anthem marketing: they're acting like this is an established, beloved universe. It's not, right now it's just a collection of randomly capitalized Nouns.

They're hoping to tease imagination with it. Like you're supposed to go ooh, what are javelins, who's the Dominion, I gotta get this game and find out, but they're so generic sounding, it's not really compelling.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

They're hoping to tease imagination with it. Like you're supposed to go ooh, what are javelins, who's the Dominion, I gotta get this game and find out, but they're so generic sounding, it's not really compelling.

The Anthem of Creation is the one proper noun and concept they've got that is genuinely intriguing, which is probably why they built the whole game around it

Everything else just feels like off-brand Destiny

But Bioware's name and noun game has really fallen off in recent years, even a weakened Bungie could stomp them in that department

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm just hoping we see DA4

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

The Anthem of Creation is the one proper noun and concept they've got that is genuinely intriguing, which is probably why they built the whole game around it

But Bioware's name and noun game has really fallen off in recent years, even a weakened Bungie could stomp them in that department

To be fair this is the studio that decided "darkspawn" was a really compelling name for their big fantasy enemy race, so it's not like they've really fallen that far

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah but then we could name our dog Barkspawn and that's pretty good.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Artyoms protagonistic silence is especially strange because he has a journal which he reads aloud all the time

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Anthem's world feels like some real xerox-of-a-xerox shit, where a bunch of nerds who shudder and recoil at the idea of reading anything without a dragon or spaceship on the cover were asked to come up with a world and ended up with something that feels like someone put the past twenty years' worth of generic shooter lore entries into an algorithm

• Options
    The thing is, one of my favourite games was not great on release.

But Ubisoft spent time and effort on Rainbow Six Siege and it's awesome now.

The question is, will bioware do the same?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    God EA sucks

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    The thing is, one of my favourite games was not great on release.

But Ubisoft spent time and effort on Rainbow Six Siege and it's awesome now.

The question is, will bioware do the same?
    I think the question is whether or not EA will let them.

I mean, look at Andromeda's post-release.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The most shocking thing about Anthem to me is that you don't go into space?? Like, I thought it had different planets and shit

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

To be fair this is the studio that decided "darkspawn" was a really compelling name for their big fantasy enemy race, so it's not like they've really fallen that far

A very, very good point

But I at least felt something when I heard or saw the word "darkspawn" even if that feeling was amusement

I feel nothing when I see or hear "Dominion" except perhaps lingering affection for an old Star Trek show

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Gamers love randomly capitalized words, though.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

A very, very good point

But I at least felt something when I heard or saw the word "darkspawn" even if that feeling was amusement

I feel nothing when I see or hear "Dominion" except perhaps lingering affection for an old Star Trek show

I keep thinking a little tank is going to show up and fight two cat girls

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Coinage wrote: »
    Gamers love Randomly capitaliZed worDS, THougH.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Did you guys have instantly strong feeling about "Reapers" and "The Citadel" before you played Mass Effect for the first time?

You have to actually play the game and read about stuff before things mean anything

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Did you guys have instantly strong feeling about "Reapers" and "The Citadel" before you played Mass Effect for the first time?

You have to actually play the game and read about stuff before things mean anything

If those things sound boring though why would I want to read about them?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

tumblr_msao8iAtjD1sh28k6o1_400.gif

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    That should have been subtitled
    AH YES, 'REAPERS'.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The period should be within the quotes, too

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    That should have been subtitled
    AH YES, 'REAPERS'.

Are they not using their thumb and forefinger as double quotes?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

I am not saying Anthem is as well written or interesting as Mass Effect, cause it ain't

But divorced of context, meaning without being familiar with ME, I don't see how Reapers or The Citadel or Spectres are any more interesting sounding than the Anthem and Dominion and Freelancers

The problem isn't Proper Nouns, its just that Anthem ain't particularly good once you learn what those Nouns are

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I am not saying Anthem is as well written or interesting as Mass Effect, cause it ain't

But divorced of context, meaning without being familiar with ME, I don't see how Reapers or The Citadel or Spectres are any more interesting sounding than the Anthem and Dominion and Freelancers

The problem isn't Proper Nouns, its just that Anthem ain't particularly good once you learn what those Nouns are

Yeah I haven't heard anybody saying "yeah the dominion is really neat they're all about [whatever]" or anything like that for anthem so far

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

I'm not in any way suggesting they are. I've never been particularly compelled to find out what they were about either.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    wasn't Anthem basically Casey Hudson's baby or some such

something like "The Bob Dylan of Games" being uttered, initially?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Yeah I haven't heard anybody saying "yeah the dominion is really neat they're all about [whatever]" or anything like that for anthem so far

They've just done a terrible job of explaining what any of their proper nouns mean. Before Mass Effect came out, I felt like I had a pretty good grasp on what the Council, the Spectres, and the Geth were and those elements interested me enough to look deeper. I've been at least lightly following Anthem since it was announced and I have no idea what the Dominion is other than bad dudes.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Anthem's world feels like some real xerox-of-a-xerox shit, where a bunch of nerds who shudder and recoil at the idea of reading anything without a dragon or spaceship on the cover were asked to come up with a world and ended up with something that feels like someone put the past twenty years' worth of generic shooter lore entries into an algorithm

Ain't nothing wrong with only reading fantasy and sci-fi

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    wasn't Anthem basically Casey Hudson's baby or some such

something like "The Bob Dylan of Games" being uttered, initially?

Who knows what percentage of that game made it to what came out today, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Darmak wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Ain't nothing wrong with only reading fantasy and sci-fi

If you want to write a story of your own, you do your own work a disservice if you have an extremely limited exposure to different genres of storytelling. Hamstringing yourself by writing something that can only be derivative of an already incredibly derivative and constrained body of work is a poor showing for your creative endeavor.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.