As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I got [Tetris] 99 problems but a T-Spin ain't one.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited February 2019 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0

Here we discuss all the various forms of Tetris including the currently released Tetris VR and Tetris 99 on the Switch.

So discuss strats, post your top-10 finishes, or explain T-Spins over and over.

And if you want to see some absurd Tetris skills, watch Wumbotize's stream.

Finally, we have some instructional, comedic, and musical Tetris videos for everyone to enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnU9mWOY87E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jsvgokC9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GmFcgjRt24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hwR4WLqAsM

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This barebones OP! (I kid)

Thank you for going back and including these necessary videos. Edited so as not to repost.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Will do when I get home. I’ll throw in a t-spin instructional video too.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Finally cracked the glass ceiling Wednesday night.

Then again last night!

(Note: I was mistaken; my best is 10 KOs.)

• Options
    I think I maxed out the chevrons/badges at one point, or got very close. Got lucky knocking out someone else who had a lot of them, I'm sure.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I need somebody to watch me play and tell me who to target at what times.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    It's easy enough to just go at it, lose, start over, that I can't be arsed to worry about that. I set it on target attackers and that's generally good enough. At the very end you'll be targeting a bunch of the remaining 10 people anyway.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I've found the best way to win is simply to keep your board clear at all costs, even if it means not getting many tetrises. It's critical that you be able to get rid of your junk ASAP and not get stuck with a stack that you can't clear on short notice. You'll be doing a decent amount of attacking just by returning junk and getting consecutive line clear combos.

Zek on
  • Options

I start on randoms and switch to attackers if I see more than two people targeting me. If they go away I sometimes forget to shift back to random...

I generally ignore the other two options; targeting players with more KOs or badges feels like inviting a better player to return fire.

• Options
    It's funny because I have this sense of competition even though I know most people aren't consciously thinking about it at all.

"Oh you're gonna send me piles of junk, huh?! Well let's see how you like this double Tetris! Teach you for targeting me!"

They have no idea who I am and will never encounter me again. 8-)

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    This game is more fun than a lot of pay to play games. A few more of these on the Switch and were going to have some addicts.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I like how the music upload I found for the top 10 remaining is 4 and a half minutes long. Because there's no way that part of the game lasts that long.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I got 98th last night due to some early mass targeting and genuinely stupid play on my part. It’s more shameful than 99th because there isn’t even the distinction of being first out.

I also keep hitting top five and getting absolutely hammered. I’m pretty good at picking targets on the way up (closest thing I have to an edge in this game is sniping people at the last second), but when the speed gets going I lose all situational awareness and tend to lose it in flailing. Might need an endgame strategy that isn’t “panic.”

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    I've been curious whether playing quickly/slowly has an effect on how quickly the blocks fall. I haven't paid very close attention. You know, normally you're leveling up as you clear lines and it gets faster based on that. I'm really not sure.

I think it's most likely there are three distinct levels to the game, the start, post-50, and top 10, and the blocks always fall at the same speed. Feels like Tetris level 1, 5, and 10.

• Options
    Pretty sure the falling speed is simply tied to the number of players remaining.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Pretty sure the falling speed is simply tied to the number of players remaining.

I think game length contributes as well. I’ve gone into the final ten with almost instant drop times, but usually that builds up during the final minute.

• Options
    Top priority: fix the bug that makes it so the game continually beeps like a new person is targeting you every 2 seconds until that person dies.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I start on randoms and switch to attackers if I see more than two people targeting me. If they go away I sometimes forget to shift back to random...

I generally ignore the other two options; targeting players with more KOs or badges feels like inviting a better player to return fire.

The KO option is misleading, it targets people close to losing so you can get those sweet sweet killshots.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Attackers is probably best if you want to set and forget. It's also amazing when you have a bunch of people attacking you. It actually ends up being the best defensive option.

I feel like setting it to KO is sort of a trap early game. There is a good chance they are being targeted by multiple people already, so chances are you won't be the one to get credit for the kill. Even if you do get credit, they probably won't have any badges. Later on, it seems like a good targeting strat though.

One of my favorite things to do early/mid game is to get a big combo ready to go, then target someone with a bunch of badges, send the trash, then switch off before they can target you back. Sometimes you can surprise them and get yourself a bunch of badges. If not, at least all those trash combos you just gave them won't be coming back to you.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So.....
    Can we get this in Tetris Attack mode?
    This seems like a fun thing to play in Tetris Attack, with infinite garbage bricks.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I feel like I do really well until like 20 people left and then I just get hit with a ton of garbage and instantly lose. Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I feel like I do really well until like 20 people left and then I just get hit with a ton of garbage and instantly lose. Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

If you're getting a bunch of people with lots of garbage hitting you at once you're out. So towards the end be careful who you target, and if you find yourself getting aimed at by a lot of people switch targeting modes. Often that'll cause people to switch away from targeting you.

• Options
    The competition has gotten a lot fiercer lately. I'm getting way more aggressive garbage thrown at me in the top 10-20 which previously I could win a game without ever seeing. I think the Tetris casuals are moving on which increases the chance of getting badasses in your group.

• Options
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

If you're getting a bunch of people with lots of garbage hitting you at once you're out. So towards the end be careful who you target, and if you find yourself getting aimed at by a lot of people switch targeting modes. Often that'll cause people to switch away from targeting you.

Top 20 is always going to be rough but here's some things that I find helps. The core of it is earning KO's so that you get badges and be the one sending 20 lines rather then receiving them.

1. Default to attackers immediately. It's the best defensive option, and targeting randoms put's you at risk of drawing the attention of dangerous players. Plus it's the only way to hit multiple targets, and they can't send blocks to you if they're clearing what you've sent them.
    2. When not under pressure, switch to KO's before sending blocks. Do not leave it on. Again it risks drawing the attention of dangerous players.
    3. Do not send singles unless you absolutely have to, or as part of a combo. The exception is if you're being targeted by multiple people.
    4. Related to the above, there is a flat bonus to the number of blocks you send the more people attacking you. So don't be afraid to be in the lead. 2 attackers gives 1 extra block, 3 gives 3, 4 give 5, 5 gives 7 and 6+ gives 9. So if you're being targeted by multiple people. Switch to targeting attackers and send as many single lines as possibly as quickly as possible and drown them in blocks. This is also why you don't target randoms, or leave KO targeting on. These are the players you don't want to deal with.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Related to 4: My top game I had something like 15 KOs because a bunch of people started targeting me from the start, I went "OK fine bring it" and spewed blocks at them all. Still lost, but.

• Options
    Competition definitely picking up. Getting railroaded fairly often, not even cracking Top 50.

Just had a couple of decent runs, though. One 4th place and the other, well...

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :(
    First place missing the chance for the number 1 to be a golden straight block.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I had an interesting win tonight. I got stacked up early and had a ton of people targeting me, switched to attackers and knocked a bunch out. With a chunk of badges, I decided to try a different targeting strat. Basically, I went random until I built up a good combo, switched target to badge leader, sent the trash, then switched off immediately. Switching away from the badge leader meant that I didn't get any of that trash back. Eventually, I knocked out two of the badge leaders and took their badges off the table (I already had max badges).

Things got hectic at the end, so I don't know for sure, but it felt like no one had more than a few badges in the top 10. I basically chain KO'd the rest and ended up with a win.

• Options
    Been having a good couple of days.

Not sure how I didn't get credit for the 2nd-place KO on that last one...

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Been having a good couple of days.

Not sure how I didn't get credit for the 2nd-place KO on that last one...

I suppose it's possible that number 3 got a last shot off and that got him posthumous credit for KOing 2.

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Yeah, that kind of thing can happen. I had a game the other day where I got 8th place, and got a KO on the person who finished 7th.

• Options
    BillCipherBillCipher Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wV7GijG9ZWY
    Saw this today, seems like it belongs here.

• Options
    Maximus Cup announced! Win $9.99 in eshop credit!

• Options
    That’s cool. More of this please Nintendo.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Anybody else playing in the event? I wish there was some way to know what number of wins will be necessary to make the top 999. I don’t really have a bunch of time this weekend, but I’d play a bit extra if I knew I was in the neighbourhood if he prizes.

• Options
    Hey, I finally played this. Got 16th in my first game. Not bad for not playing Tetris in like 10 years.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I went 5/25 in the first two days of Tetris 99, and didn't play the game again until today. Tonight, I went 0/15. As expected, the level of competition got a lot harder. I'm still getting into or close to the top ten most of the time, but my ability to get KOs is preventing me from taking victories. I really need to learn more T-spin patterns and retrain my brain so I can stop wrecking the rest of my stacking flow when I try to make a setup.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I wonder if 1 win will be good enough to make the Top 999...

Let's find out.

• Options
    Ok, I got to 10 wins in the event. I'm going to bed.
    Yeah, that kind of thing can happen. I had a game the other day where I got 8th place, and got a KO on the person who finished 7th.
    I had one today where I finished 11th and still knocked out someone in 6th.

bb5udc496np6.jpg

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    My best strategy is one I haven't dusted off since Tetris DS in college--look at the timezones and only play when the Japanese players are sleeping. I mean I still lose but it takes longer.