As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    As a nub, it is definitely hard to tell when you should press forward and when you should hold position. Almost all my many, many deaths have been from choosing the wrong one of those options and getting flanked.

On console I find it especially hard to establish situational awareness and stay aware of other squads or even my own teammates. I need to play with headphones, but my headphones cut out all sound that isn't directly in front of me, so...

The only time you hold position is when you have a defensible position in the circle and they have to come to you. Otherwise, keep moving. If you don't think you can win the fight quickly, just leave and go somewhere else.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    As a nub, it is definitely hard to tell when you should press forward and when you should hold position. Almost all my many, many deaths have been from choosing the wrong one of those options and getting flanked.

On console I find it especially hard to establish situational awareness and stay aware of other squads or even my own teammates. I need to play with headphones, but my headphones cut out all sound that isn't directly in front of me, so...

The only time you hold position is when you have a defensible position in the circle and they have to come to you. Otherwise, keep moving. If you don't think you can win the fight quickly, just leave and go somewhere else.

There's so many times where my squaddies will charge into a fight they should know they can't win. It's craziness. Like, just go somewhere else where the fight won't be so horribly one-sided.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I've lost several pubbie matches where we are like top 5 and some of us get tagged by a sniper on a hilltop. Then our instinct is hunker down, heal, make a break for it. Only we never get to the make a break for it part. Nobody wants to commit, once one person heals, another gets tagged. And so we stay put, and then the sniper's friends or another squad collapses and we get murderated.

I'm particularly guilty of this, so I'm not blaming my pubbies, just that it's hard for someone to realize you'll have a better chance of survival by running into the death field rather than hiding behind cover, because once guns are being fired, death is coming either way.

It's also hard for me to know when to commit to a push, because my tendency is to wait back a bit, heal up, let them reveal themselves, when other players (pubbie and PA) are more aggro. Often either strategy works (turtle or aggro), if the whole team commits. I usually wind up waiting to long or healing while others are pushing, and then we all die due to my hesitancy.

It's like we need a clear, undeniable LEEROY JENKINS signal to say well fuck it, we're going into the murder den.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I am really liking playing Pathfinder. I kind of started the game thinking Bloodhound or Mirage might be my "main", as it were, but I just love the heck out of Pathfinder's ziplines. I love keeping an eye out for the next opportunity to reposition my team, or fly over some other teams fighting, or create escape routes if an engagement goes bad. And they allow me to engage at whatever my ideal range is based on which weapons I've collected.

Just gotta practice more with his grappling hook now. I've got forward movement and speeding through areas reasonably well practiced, but I'm still a novice at the whole swinging around corners thing.

• tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    ayqk2efd03vt.jpg

I finally won a game! Pretty much got carried, was running around with a Havoc w/ Selectfire and Devotion w/ Turbocharger and was running out of ammo at the end.

So I still haven't played this a ton (especially at the time of this pic), but if you want to see the epitome of being carried, check this out.
    JyuU2G1.jpg
    My accuracy that match may not have been well...non existent I suppose. At least I'm improving from that game.

I did have this match last night. While we didn't win in the end, it was a much better showing.
    YBB7AO8.jpg

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If you aren't playing the game with headphones, you really should try it. The directional audio cues are good enough to make a real difference in your decisionmaking mid-fight, I can't play without them.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    If you aren't playing the game with headphones, you really should try it. The directional audio cues are good enough to make a real difference in your decisionmaking mid-fight, I can't play without them.

Yeah, I'm sure @metaghost thinks I am just making shit up some time since he doesn't play with headphones but I can generally narrow down gunfire to a very small area of degrees. Even better is when you can hear someone moving around the outside of the building you are in to the right or upstairs. It's one of the reason I feel like I look stupid sometimes crouch walking everywhere. If other people can hear my footsteps like I can hear theirs I feel like it is just a siren going off.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    You callin' me a headphone denialist?

Rude.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Man I've been playing with randos today and have some truly close games. Just had a game with a standoff in the three connected caves above Bridges. Three teams, and I slaughtered one team through their bang smoke. Last team pushes my guys, they both go down, and I down one of the enemy. Everything stops while each sides tries to heal. I stoop down to get up my friendly... And a Mirage bumrushes with a Mastiff and kills me before I can cancel the animation. Damn.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Me and a homie are in a squad fight vs 3, kill one but the other two get us. Our team mate is like a mile away. I managed to pop Gibralter ult and wipe the enemy squad on top of us while were down.

Oh and my shadowplay decided that was the time to stop working

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    You callin' me a headphone denialist?

Rude.

I'm just saying that if you could have the game sound come over a gramophone...

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    It seems like faaaar too often in this game my choice is between staying in one spot that's been picked clean and having no weapons, ammo, or shields...

...or running off on my own and getting completely jobbed in a 3v1 because my team just will not leave the fuckin' area.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Pathfinder is crazy good: ow someone is in that building firing at another squad. Let's set up a zipline onto the roof and crash that party.

Also spitfire is my go to gun, because I can't aim for shit. So quantity over quality.

steam_sig.png
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Oh come on!!! Just got my first ever mid-game disconnect/return to home screen and it was in a game i was actually doing well in. Teammates were communicating, i actually contributed to kills and revives. We were all decked out. That is some rough beans.

steam_sig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Argh yet another second place. I can never seem to actually close the deal.

Also had one where my two teammates disconnected at like a minute in and I spent another 9 just sort of pleasantly trying to not be in fights. Eventually, I was in a fight and I died.

I kind of like trying to be a lone survivor!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Oh come on!!! Just got my first ever mid-game disconnect/return to home screen and it was in a game i was actually doing well in. Teammates were communicating, i actually contributed to kills and revives. We were all decked out. That is some rough beans.

I had one yesterday on PC where I became the kill leader (for the first time on PC) and then the game crashed without warning.

I also had one on Xbone yesterday where we were down to 3 squads after ridiculous encounter after ridiculous encounter. And then me and my friend were dropped back to the lobby. I hope that Mirage completed the mission and wasn't dropped out of the server too since he deserved a win.
    We land at sewage treatment because... why not?

There are at least 2 other squads afoot. Mirage and Gibraltar have plinking weapons. My Lifeline has nothing. Assorted knockdowns are traded. Gibraltar and Mirage go down, along with a bunch of other people. Smoke everywhere. I revive Mirage but still have no weapon. I go down slapping another Lifeline who has a P2020. Mirage flees to the far side of the buildings as the 2 other squads continue fighting.

Mirage, freshly healed, decoys on one side of a building and pops out the other. Manages to finish everybody off with some bob and weave. Revives the Gibraltar and me. Bullets are at a premium, but I drop my care package and we all end up with purple armor. I come away with a wingman and a scout.

We scavenge near Skull City. The next ring starts closing when another 3-way house-to-house fight starts. Gibraltar tags a bunch with his ult but ends up down in his bubble. I somehow get 5 straight hits with the wingman to down a Wraith hopping around on one of the split-level buildings. Mirage tags 1. I get Gibraltar up in a new cloud of Bangalore smoke and then pop the health drone out. Grenades arrive. I run several buildings away and charge shields while Gibraltar gets exploded. Mirage goes down and I run around some shacks and manage to down the nuisance Bangalore with the wingman. I get Mirage up, but then immediately take fire from a brand new squad.

I toss out some grenades. Mirage decoys and flees. I go down. The shotgun assassinates me (Gibraltar dies at a similar time, which may fake them into believing they eliminated our squad, but they wouldn't have a 'squad down' callout, so who knows?). Mirage comes back around and opens fire while they're looting boxes. The ring's now closing up. He manages to down them with more decoy shenanigans. And grabs the cards for me and Gibraltar. We've got 11 kills between us (with 7 to the Mirage). Mirage uses a pair of medkits (starting when at 1/2 health) to outheal the ring damage while he runs to the new ring.

He loops around past market into caves to the last revive point in bounds. Gibraltar and me come back in with 4 squads remaining, 2 battling it out while we stumble weaponless out of the dropship. We scrounge up grenades but no weapons. Super tiny ring pops near our caves. 3 squads left. We take up some semblance of a position with a fully kitted Mirage and 3 grenades between me and the Gibraltar.

And then the game crashes back to desktop.

• GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Or when you're in a defensible position and watching the other last two squads fight.

Then it's important to make sure one time doesn't win too decisively, and the dudes who go down stay down.

Ugh, tonight I can only get pubbies who seem hell bent on soloing full squads. Particularly frustrating when we're in the top 2 and rather than waiting for your team, they rush ahead into a building alone. Yes, you got the most kills of our team. You also cost our team the win.
    Ugh, just a shit night for Apex.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Finally got to 5 kills, with a squad that's also at least as good if not better. Last 4 squads.

Game crashes.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Change your easy anticheat properties, btw. I encourage everyone to do that. It's largely fixed my "crashes", most of which it turns out are easyanticheat failing. By default the response to a failure is to close the game - but you can change it through task manager -> services -> services window -> easyanticheat properties and set it instead to "try again" three times before crashing.

It won't fix every problem but it should fix some of them.

GlyphGryph on
    I had a good long-range engagement with a g-7 last night, it turns out that a sniper that you can spam is the kind I need for sure.

I'm finding that while other players are getting better at this game, I don't seem to be. Part of that is probably because I'm trying to hop through characters until I get a win on each of them. But I find that I just don't win 1v1s very often, I continue to feel like my guns don't shoot where I aim them, and I often feel like I get flanked without much map awareness.

I feel like it's partially auto-aim not being as present, and also bullet drop off, with a health dash of latency. Last night I grabbed a Kraber when we were in top 3, and I saw a dude camping a roof. I fired two shots at him, crosshairs squarely center mass, him being maybe 50-70m away. I missed both times, revealing my position, and getting our team accosted. Any gunfight that isn't in shotgun range results in me being lucky to do like 60 damage while the opponent drops me with whatever weapon they happen to have on hand.

I'm not sure what guns to use, as their consistency for me each match is profoundly different. The only gun I'd really like is a Mastiff, and not for its damage potential, but because it's shot pattern is a line, so I find my shots actually hit what I'm targeting.

It's a testament to the game that I enjoy it, because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and I'm not sure how to improve or what weapons will fit me better. I'm generally not this garbage at FPS, so it's hard for me to know why I struggle so much with the combat of this game.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm Sander_JK on playstation if people want to squad up.

Just had my second win of the day. The final circle was on a 3 way canyon, and all 4 remaining teams got there at the same time.

An artists impression of the final fight from my POV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ-EOg38t1o

I went in with 300 heavy LMG bullets. I ran out.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    I'm finding that while other players are getting better at this game, I don't seem to be. Part of that is probably because I'm trying to hop through characters until I get a win on each of them. But I find that I just don't win 1v1s very often, I continue to feel like my guns don't shoot where I aim them, and I often feel like I get flanked without much map awareness.

I feel like it's partially auto-aim not being as present, and also bullet drop off, with a health dash of latency. Last night I grabbed a Kraber when we were in top 3, and I saw a dude camping a roof. I fired two shots at him, crosshairs squarely center mass, him being maybe 50-70m away. I missed both times, revealing my position, and getting our team accosted. Any gunfight that isn't in shotgun range results in me being lucky to do like 60 damage while the opponent drops me with whatever weapon they happen to have on hand.

I'm not sure what guns to use, as their consistency for me each match is profoundly different. The only gun I'd really like is a Mastiff, and not for its damage potential, but because it's shot pattern is a line, so I find my shots actually hit what I'm targeting.

It's a testament to the game that I enjoy it, because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and I'm not sure how to improve or what weapons will fit me better. I'm generally not this garbage at FPS, so it's hard for me to know why I struggle so much with the combat of this game.

I feel like there's real latency/network fuckery at work in a lot of the gunfights in this game. @ObiFett can back me up on this but I was in a fight to basically win a game last night and got insta-melted, went from full purple shields and health to nothing in like half a second against one guy. It made absolutely no sense.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Peen wrote: »

I feel like there's real latency/network fuckery at work in a lot of the gunfights in this game. @ObiFett can back me up on this but I was in a fight to basically win a game last night and got insta-melted, went from full purple shields and health to nothing in like half a second against one guy. It made absolutely no sense.

They don't have ping limits on games and there's no matchmaking.

I've seen some shit, and there's been thousands of people banned for cheating already.

Expect this phase of the game to be the roughest as the devs come to terms with the monster this game turned into very quickly, because I can't imagine anyone would have realistically thought it would get this big this fast.

THAT BEING SAID, this game seems a whole lot more stable and foundationally solid than PUBG, so I fully expect Respawn will be able to fix this stuff.

jungleroomx on

I'd suggest focusing on map awareness and positioning first. Try not to get into head on 1v1 fights in the first place - that's always a gamble no matter how good your aim is. You want to only pick fights where you have the advantage, and stay near your squad so not everything is riding on your aim alone.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    This is my first console shooter really, since my PC can't handle this.
    And I've come to terms with that I'm much better off with automatic weapons + shotguns. Any gun that needs multiple on point shots I'm just not accurate/fast enough.
    Shotguns give me time to land big hits even with slightly slower aim, and automatics is about learning when to start spraying.

I did win a 1v1 with a sniper hipaiming today, though it was all on the other guy being really really bad.

And yeah, stick with your team. Engage when you're at a good range for your weapons. Flank. Go in at the tail end of a fire fight between other teams.

Third win of the day. So anticlimatic.
    We spent 8 minutes on the Highrise plateau, 7 teams left, 5, 4. Every time the plateau was in the circle, we were looted up, we couldn't really pinpoint any of the fights closer than 300m, so there wasn't much point in running through the open just to get spotted.

So we waited. 3 Teams left, we Pathfinder into a house we know a team is in, only 2 people. 1 Team left.... turns out it's a loner hiding under the house.

SanderJK wrote: »
    This is my first console shooter really, since my PC can't handle this.
    And I've come to terms with that I'm much better off with automatic weapons + shotguns. Any gun that needs multiple on point shots I'm just not accurate/fast enough.
    Shotguns give me time to land big hits even with slightly slower aim, and automatics is about learning when to start spraying.

I did win a 1v1 with a sniper hipaiming today, though it was all on the other guy being really really bad.

And yeah, stick with your team. Engage when you're at a good range for your weapons. Flank. Go in at the tail end of a fire fight between other teams.

If i could i would dual wield spitfires and/or devotions.

steam_sig.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    Change your easy anticheat properties, btw. I encourage everyone to do that. It's largely fixed my "crashes", most of which it turns out are easyanticheat failing. By default the response to a failure is to close the game - but you can change it through task manager -> services -> services window -> easyanticheat properties and set it instead to "try again" three times before crashing.

It won't fix every problem but it should fix some of them.

I actually already had this set. Along with capping max fps and also lowering vram usage. I have been crashing less, but I'm still crashing and it's usually frustrating 'cause a lot of times it happens when I'm in the last few squads.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    I am very much Tycho from today's comic.

steam_sig.png
    I like spending money on games that I get a lot of time out of. But the game right now has a truly awful return on investment. The boxes are full of junk for characters you don't play, being able to craft what you want takes a huge number of boxes, and the entire store page just seems like blatant whale bait at the current prices. They really need to get the battle pass right to fix it.

I didn't even know heirloom items were a thing.

steam_sig.png
    I mean it's nice they're guaranteed to drop after so many boxes, but that's... An awful lot of them. You don't get them after every rank up either, so if you even want a small chance at one of those Heirloom sets, you have to buy the season pass.

Interestingly, that article states there's only an Heirloom set for Wraith right now but I swear I recall one for Bloodhound too

• gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    who knows if 'Cole' is a dude or a different company's 'hack' to spread misinformation about a HAWT game.... The internet?, ami right?.....

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    who knows if 'Cole' is a dude or a different company's 'hack' to spread misinformation about a HAWT game.... The internet?, ami right?.....

I wouldn't put it past other companies to utilize anti-shills in such a fashion.

(She/Her)