As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    Speaking of, any comments on said Supernova build?

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=510&l=1d2952fc9cd6209d1adb2c9bb4e8950b329cd6ea

I have most of the Firepower's heat perks, so it cools down reasonably quick, it just generates all the heat in the world even just firing two 12s in one go (so, in theory sans ghost heat). I was considering dropping another laser from the TAG arm for a heatsink, or maybe experiment with lasers that don't take up as much space to do the same, though I've not played around with it enough to know if that would even help given the limited space to work with.

[edit] The lasers basically generate no heat compared to the ATMs, so, not really concerned about switching for hotter-running versions.

An active probe would be a good idea, if a ECM mech gets near you it's going to prevent you from getting locks.

He has a tag. That's sufficient.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Also active probes have pretty short range for ignoring ECM, 90m, I thought? Minimum range on ATMs is 120m.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Speaking of, any comments on said Supernova build?

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=510&l=1d2952fc9cd6209d1adb2c9bb4e8950b329cd6ea

I have most of the Firepower's heat perks, so it cools down reasonably quick, it just generates all the heat in the world even just firing two 12s in one go (so, in theory sans ghost heat). I was considering dropping another laser from the TAG arm for a heatsink, or maybe experiment with lasers that don't take up as much space to do the same, though I've not played around with it enough to know if that would even help given the limited space to work with.

[edit] The lasers basically generate no heat compared to the ATMs, so, not really concerned about switching for hotter-running versions.

An active probe would be a good idea, if a ECM mech gets near you it's going to prevent you from getting locks.

He has a tag. That's sufficient.

I'm a big fan of redundancy, so I try to carry both on my lock-on mechs.

Edit: to clarify, I like having it in case the ECM mech is on top of me/going after somebody next to me. I may not be trying to lock the ECM mech (with LRMs and ATMs), but it'll hinder my ability to get locks on other mechs beyond minimum range.
    Kay wrote: »
    Also active probes have pretty short range for ignoring ECM, 90m, I thought? Minimum range on ATMs is 120m.

That's the light probe, the CAP is 120.

Nobody on

150. Still not sufficient.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's been a few years since I boated missiles that required locks and I have to say, the amount of ECM nowadays compared to Back in My Day makes quite a difference. The TAG went from "nice" to "bloody essential", so many times I had team targets, but the lock took+4s to acquire, more than enough for the original target to decay before the ATMs ever got there.

[edit] Is there an advantage to chain-firing missiles, rather than manually firing them in pairs? Aside from "you can be lazy and only need one button".

Glal on
    [edit] Is there an advantage to chain-firing missiles, rather than manually firing them in pairs? Aside from "you can be lazy and only need one button".

No advantage (other than "I have all my missiles on just one button"), but no disadvantage either since you just double-tap.

Which skill tree/nodes was it that people said didn't do anything? And has it been fixed?

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Free weekend on HBS BATTLETECH for any of your MWO types who have been meaning to give it a try! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Which skill tree/nodes was it that people said didn't do anything? And has it been fixed?

Heat containment. And not fixed that I'm aware.

I would download a car.
  • hairystevehairysteve Registered User regular
    Luckiest kill ever...
    Inn my new warhammer iic
    On hpg manifold.
    11 enemy dead.
    Walked off ledge to go down to basement to at least tag the enemy for more monies.
    Landed on something odd and couldn't move properly for 5 seconds maybe.
    Then up popped the dead person text.
    Team kill
    Doh!!
    I death from aboved my team mate
    Bugger
    He was a little salty about it on voice com's.

edited February 2019
    Welp, I'm never doing this much damage ever again, so I'd best savor it! Perfect time for free premium.

pwc8mydpkv78.jpg

Glal on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

150. Still not sufficient.

The 150 meters of a C-AP or BAP are affected by the sensor range nodes on the tree. I find it very valuable to have one an any SSRM, ATM or LRM boats I'm running, along with a TAG.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Sorry for the lack of Oosik Night tonight for me all. I had some things that I had to take care of that prevented me from dropping. Hopefully my life stabilizes soon so I can drop again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Had to buy a mech bay and a Rifleman to get through the IS ballistics challenge of the weekend event. Thinking of turning it into a plodding gauss sniper or something? Not sure. I like the hard point locations, though.
    I also think I'm done trying to get the Blackjack to work. I bought the Arrow, because I was having so much fun with the Arctic Cheetah, but my CT in the BJA seems to be the size of an Atlas with the durability of wet tissue paper.

I managed to get all the IS ballistics done except for UAC/20 (because none of my mechs carry one normally), and I’m hesitating at buying a UAC/20 just so I can do the challenge.

monkeykins wrote: »
    Had to buy a mech bay and a Rifleman to get through the IS ballistics challenge of the weekend event. Thinking of turning it into a plodding gauss sniper or something? Not sure. I like the hard point locations, though.
    I also think I'm done trying to get the Blackjack to work. I bought the Arrow, because I was having so much fun with the Arctic Cheetah, but my CT in the BJA seems to be the size of an Atlas with the durability of wet tissue paper.

Did you get the 4 ballistic version of the Rifleman? If so I love that thing as a 4AC2 sniper. It is so much fun when it works. Plus I think I have 4SL in the torso or something like that.
    I managed to get all the IS ballistics done except for UAC/20 (because none of my mechs carry one normally), and I’m hesitating at buying a UAC/20 just so I can do the challenge.

Do you have a Centurion? I love running it with the AC20 in it over the other builds.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Do you have a Centurion? I love running it with the AC20 in it over the other builds.

Especially if you have the Wang. Here's something I quickly whipped up that uses an Ultra-20:

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#6668b162_CN9-YLW

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited February 2019
    Did you get the 4 ballistic version of the Rifleman? If so I love that thing as a 4AC2 sniper. It is so much fun when it works. Plus I think I have 4SL in the torso or something like that.

85% sure I did, since I got it primarily for the UAC20 challenge. Was thinking of putting a couple RAC2 in there and making it a bigger, better, slower version of my current favorite BJA build. First (only) drop was on LavaLand, and I forgot I was in it and not the 100% heat-neutral BJA I ran the drop before cobbled exclusively to get my UAC10 damage, and overheated and nearly self-destructed when I saw my first opponent. Didnt have time to take it into testing grounds, it was the end of the night, I had to go to bed, and I just wanted 200 or whatever damage so I could earn back some of that 300MC I spent getting the mech.

monkeykins on
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Especially if you have the Wang. Here's something I quickly whipped up that uses an Ultra-20:

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#6668b162_CN9-YLW

Thanks guys, honestly I don’t have any model of the CN9, if I did run a UAC/20 I’d probably just swap it for the heavy gauss on my RGH for a drop or two.

edited February 2019
    Or, if you're a crazy person who has a badroyal case of the King Crabs, could roll with a pair of Ultra-20s. It'll be crazy toasty, but you'll be a damage hose while your mech is in one piece.

EDIT - whoops, nearly missed a chance for a crabs joke/pun

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Here's a question: is there ghost heat on medium lasers? I had 4ERML on my Kodiac, and 3 or 4 rounds of shooting would cook me as quickly as it does in my Kit Fox with 3HML, despite having 3x as many DHS.
    Basically, do Assault mechs have a penalty to heat sinks, or am I generating more heat than I think I am?

So, here's the thing with PGI's heatsinks: they provide a near-negligible boost to heat capacity. Mostly, they're going to be increasing the heat dissipation of your ERMLs. But, because of the longer cooldown of the HMLs, your Kit Fox is going to be venting more of the built up heat before firing again. So while 3 HMLs might be generating similar amounts of heat compared to 4 ERMLs in your Kodiak, your Kodiak is going to be firing those 4 lasers more frequently before the heat is vented.

The short version is that medium lasers do have ghost heat...but you're not seeing it yet. Ghost heat starts with the 7th cERML, or the 5th HML

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    As a BT board game player from centuriesdecades ago and an HBS BATTLETECH enthusiast, ghost heat remains a really strange concept.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Or, if you're a crazy person who has a badroyal case of the King Crabs, could roll with a pair of Ultra-20s. It'll be crazy toasty, but you'll be a damage hose while your mech is in one piece.

I definitely have a KGC, and since ANHs are on sale now I don’t need to worry about keeping it in a meta (or as close as a KGC can get) build ...

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    As a BT board game player from centuriesdecades ago and an HBS BATTLETECH enthusiast, ghost heat remains a really strange concept.

It's the lazy way to weapon balance.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski

I definitely have a KGC, and since ANHs are on sale now I don’t need to worry about keeping it in a meta (or as close as a KGC can get) build ...

Meta? You should see @Erlkönig freak of nature King Crab. He boats 2UAC2, 2LBX2, 2RAC2...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    IDK, I think its a good way to force some build variance and you can use quirks to create exceptions where you want.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Meta? You should see Erlkönig freak of nature King Crab. He boats 2UAC2, 2LBX2, 2RAC2...

Slight correction: it doesn't use Ultra-2s. 2LB2X, 2RAC2, and 2AC2. And yeah, it's just absolutely silly and shouldn't work nearly as well as it does. Provided I don't crest a hill and come face to face with a lance and a half of enemy mechs, the thing melts faces. If I do crest a hill and come face to face with a lance and a half of enemy mechs, I'll lean on the trigger and take as many with me until my claws pop off from getting overcooked.

edited February 2019
    Here's a question: is there ghost heat on medium lasers? I had 4ERML on my Kodiac, and 3 or 4 rounds of shooting would cook me as quickly as it does in my Kit Fox with 3HML, despite having 3x as many DHS.
    Basically, do Assault mechs have a penalty to heat sinks, or am I generating more heat than I think I am?

It's all about heat sinks. Neither tonnage, class, engine type, nor affiliation (clan vs IS) affect capacity or dissipation.

Until you hit 10 heat sinks (50 heat capacity), both single and double heat sinks will provide 2 heat capacity. You get 30 heat capacity for free.
    Above 10 heat sinks:
    Each single heat sink provides 0.75 heat capacity
    Each double heat sink provides 0.5 heat capacity.

Heat dissipation is unaffected by the number of heat sinks equipped.
    Each single heat sink provides 0.14 heat dissipation/second.
    Each double heat sink provides 0.22 heat dissipation/second.

Each engine size has a certain number of heat sinks built in.

A 180 engine has 7 heat sinks built in (Kit Fox).
    A 200 engine has 8 heat sinks built in (Kodiak minimum)
    A 400 engine has 10 heat sinks built in (Kodiak maximum)

The Kodiak has no capacity or dissipation quirks.
    All Kit Fox variants have a 7.5% dissipation quirk and 3 external heat sinks.

You certainly don't have three times (30+) as many double heat sinks on your Kodiak as you do your Kit Fox.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
    lazegamer wrote: »
    *snip*

*snip*

Except, y'know...the 0.14/0.22 hps that gets dissipated per SHS/DHS (respectively).

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    @Morkath and I have joined the PA Discord Illuminati and we'd like to get all the PA Discord splinters under one roof to help build up the PA community even further. Would y'all be willing to shift over to the main Discord? We can set up whatever channels you need or can just clone the existing ones.

https://discord.gg/ESWh4uK

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited February 2019

Meta? You should see @Erlkönig freak of nature King Crab. He boats 2UAC2, 2LBX2, 2RAC2...

Mine’s the 000B, so only 4 ballistic hard points. I’ve swung between 2xAC/20, 2xGauss Rifle and 4x UAC/5.
    I know UAC/20 aren’t very popular for IS Mechs (maybe that one Nightstar now...)

Nobody on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    @Morkath and I have joined the PA Discord Illuminati and we'd like to get all the PA Discord splinters under one roof to help build up the PA community even further. Would y'all be willing to shift over to the main Discord? We can set up whatever channels you need or can just clone the existing ones.

https://discord.gg/ESWh4uK

Shifted over.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    lazegamer wrote: »
    *snip*

*snip*

Except, y'know...the 0.14/0.22 hps that gets dissipated per SHS/DHS (respectively).

Lol, yeah I'm not sure what that was meant to say. I shifted the post around after I had written it to try to make it concise.

I would download a car.
    edited February 2019
    MWO

Some quick thoughts:

*Double UAC/20 KGC is hilarious, people realize what you're packing and bug the fuck out. They don't even wait to see if you're going to shut down from throwing that much lead into them at one time.

*I have an ANH now, ho ho ho. Going with 2xUAC/5, 2xUAC/10 for now, but I might swap it to the AC/2 build to "level" with.

*The matchmaker has a perverse sense of humor. Gives us a GAR, WHMIIC, and VTR vs a MCII, KGC, and WHMIIC.

Nobody on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    *I have an ANH now, ho ho ho. Going with 2xUAC/5, 2xUAC/10 for now, but I might swap it to the AC/2 build to "level" with.

2A? I run a weird build that's actually very effective. 4 AC5s in the torsos, 2 AC2s in the arms. It doesn't overheat and it's just constant withering fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-tj3gC_BJ0

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, 2A for my ANH.

EDIT: I honestly can't wait for people to stop trying to make the Bludgeon work, the matchmaker is going haywire trying to build even matches with all the people playing that mech so I ended up with my first drop in my ANH was on HPG in the Bravo team slot. Red's fast guys were on me and spotting for LRMs and ATMs before I could even get out the door.

Nobody on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

The cap on ERML before heat penalty is 6, on HML it's 4. Heat Sinks don't add as much heat capacity as they used too, what you should notice is you cool down much more quickly.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Hey, @Styrofoam Sammich, what's the FEV clan?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hey, @Styrofoam Sammich, what's the FEV clan?

Frank Exchange of Views

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg