As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The short story collections are how I got in to the deeper lore.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I kind of really, really like the idea of Chaos just sorta settling down for a minute for a cup and a chat. The Warp just kinda stops being all warpy for about thirty minutes, Khorne is kicked back in a little beat up wooden chair in a retail break room, one leg up over the other, foot bouncing as he chews the cud with ol Papa Nurgle.

Coffee shop AUs really are the best, damn

I don't usually go in for that sort of thing, but if you do, there's a fun bit of fanfiction where Caiaphas Cain has to play poker against various deities to save his soul.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I have developed a mild interest in 40k lore from my exposure to it through video games and such and while I doubt I'll acquire any tabletop hardware I would like to understand the different factions and history better. I've looked at some online wikis and found them a bit disorienting. Can some of you recommend a book or other source for me to do my toes into the grimdark future?

My gateway to 40k:

The games: Dawn of War 1, Dawn of War 2, Space Marine (a decent look at pre-return Ultramarines), and more recently Space Hulk and Battlefleet Gothic Armada: 2.
    For 40k books, the Cain books, anything by Dan Abnett.

Also 1D4Chan which although it has NSFW pages (for serious), it DOES do a good job of pointing out a lot of fan-favorite stories and material that you just won't get reading the official wiki. Read a few articles and see if you like it.

Creed.
    Doomrider.

A few more book recommendations from me. Whilst Abnett is most peoples go-to author (and for good reason!) I would put Aaron Dembski-Bowden in equal contention for Black Librarys best author. His Night Lords trilogy got me back into mini painting (first claw conversion project) and I would consider them the best 40k books.

Some less well known gems:

Fifteen Hours - great intro to the harsh life of an Imperial Guard

Execution Hour - Battlefleet Gothic novel, for all your space battle needs

Legion of the Damned - top notch space marine action. contender for most heavy metal ending of a story ever.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My gateway to 40k was what was the people at a table I sat at during lunch talking about? Eldar grenades? Power fists? a bolter?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Eisenhorn and Ravenor for Imperial Inquisition stuff, Brothers of the Snake for Marines, Titanicus for the admech, first Gaunt's Ghosts trilogy for Guard.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I am a massive fan of the Night Lords trilogy. Chaos side, obviously, but this group isn't super Chaos-y for the most part.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dembsky-Bowden writes good Chaos.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    His "Chaos should win" views makes me a bit nervous about a repeat of Age of Sigmar though.

For all Chaos fans complain about how their faction "should" win, it would probably be the worst overall thing for the setting as a whole.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Chaos winning is the end of the setting.

I thought they only did that for WHFB because sales were down and thought "fuck it, time to wipe the slate clean".

40K is the big money earner, the fact that they moved the plot forward is a massive step in itself

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Eisenhorn and Ravenor for Imperial Inquisition stuff, Brothers of the Snake for Marines, Titanicus for the admech, first Gaunt's Ghosts trilogy for Guard.

Artel W have made not-Ravenor:

https://artelw.com/#!/Mr-Chair/p/124829738/category=27134181

hoping this spurs GW into an official version like it did with Eisenhorn.

re: the night lords books, first claw not being particularly chaos-y is one of their main selling points. Talos himself hates the Imperium and is pretty aligned to Curze's vision in that respect. he tolerates his chapter-mates creeping towards the various chaos gods but is generally disgusted by the whole thing.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    1d4chan presents its information in a really easily understood and digestible format but you definitely need to steel your nerves against some internet bullshit of the grossest variety

Yeah no thanks. I hold my nose pretty tightly when I'm forced to look at something on reddit. I have zero patience for the likes of 4chan.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    manji wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

Artel W have made not-Ravenor:

https://artelw.com/#!/Mr-Chair/p/124829738/category=27134181

hoping this spurs GW into an official version like it did with Eisenhorn.

re: the night lords books, first claw not being particularly chaos-y is one of their main selling points. Talos himself hates the Imperium and is pretty aligned to Curze's vision in that respect. he tolerates his chapter-mates creeping towards the various chaos gods but is generally disgusted by the whole thing.

They call him MR CHAIR

edit: holy fuck those Striking Scorpions.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah no thanks. I hold my nose pretty tightly when I'm forced to look at something on reddit. I have zero patience for the likes of 4chan.
    The articles are actually really good, though. Metzger is right, there's some stuff that would turn you off, but 90+% of it is really, really good.

You're saying you hold your nose to Reddit, the 1d4chan stuff is far better and easier to go through than Reddit.

Imo, obviously.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the fluff pages you're liable to find someone put bad erotic art on it somewhere.

But the tactics articles are usually pretty free of that kind of dumb stuff outside of the occasional embedded links to shitty meme pages.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I mostly read the character, faction and battle summaries. And sometimes dig too greedily and too deep and end up on a PROMOTIONS page.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The mere thought of dipping my toes in the 4chan pool skeezes me out.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    At any rate, I would highly recommend the fan-animation projects I posted a few pages ago, as that is a great starting point to get you hyped.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Chaos winning is the end of the setting.

I thought they only did that for WHFB because sales were down and thought "fuck it, time to wipe the slate clean".

40K is the big money earner, the fact that they moved the plot forward is a massive step in itself

I'm pretty sure that anyone winning is the end of the setting.
    I'm trying to think of which faction would still have a continuing story line after achieving their win conditions.
    Necrons maybe? They just hit the snooze button for another couple million years after purging the galaxy until life comes back. Pretty much the only ones who can play that kind of long game.
    Tyranids? Assuming they either move onto the next galaxy or decide to stand and fight whatever is pursuing them after consuming all biomatter in the galaxy.
    Orks? Can't fight aliens who aren't around anymore, but we still got other orks to fight.
    Are the Eldar still trying to build a new god to fight the last one they fucked into existence? Depending on how that turns out, they might have a post endgame option.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

Frankly I think that's an absolutely reasonable response and I don't blame you even a little.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

but jon, think about the lolz

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    So 1d4 is a bit of a hit or miss as far as humor for Warhammer 40k goes but I do like this tidbit about the Sanguinor.
    One of his appearances was on the planet Khartas when the Blood Angels were pursuing Ork Freebooterz. The Ork vessel that crashed on the planet had its warp drive go haywire, allowing Daemons of Khorne to pour through the portal that was created by the drive. The horde of Daemons were led by Ka'Bandha (the same douche of a Greater Daemon that fought Sanguinius back during the Horus Heresy), who quickly slew nearly all of the thirty Blood Angels that made planetfall. The Daemonic Horde were to finish off the surviving marines that have entrenched themselves in a ruined Cathedral, when the Sanguinor appeared out of nowhere and did the following:

- Bitchslapped Ka'Bandha out of the skies via the aerial variant of dynamic entry.

- Fought marine to daemon with him. The two fought with such speed and ferocity that they couldn't best each other.

- Broke Ka'Bandha's Axe in order to twist the odds of the battle in his favour.

- Penetrated him through the heart with his sword.

- Flew with the Daemon up to the planet's exosphere and YEETED him so hard from there into the surface that it resulted in a giant blood-filled crater (the gore is still around to this day).

The Sanguinor is pretty badass huh.

also I'm almost done with my knight army

I have a gallant and castellan coming in, so now all I need is a helverin and some assassins

edited February 2019
    manwiththemachinegun on
    grey knights, while a really rad army, are still complete garbage even after the point buffs

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Goddamn, dreadknights are fucking stupid

That whole series of Space Marine Mid-Season upgrades, Centurion armor, etc, have been quietly sent to the corner to die.

Karl wrote: »
    Goddamn, dreadknights are fucking stupid

99810107006_KaramazovNEW01.jpg

Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword has never been so accurate.

also the dude just pointing at a list of things about how bad you fucked up

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also the dude just pointing at a list of things about how bad you fucked up

I like to imagine it's just the "To the pain" bit from Princess Bride written out as a checklist.
    "No, your ears you keep..."

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dear the throne of judgement!

Seriously, Karamazov is an ass. The only unit able to bombard his own troops

edited February 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    Dear the throne of judgement!

Seriously, Karamazov is an ass. The only unit able to bombard his own troops

I might name my kill team the throne of judgement but i just don't know
    Stupid phone

Brainleech on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I like Centurions.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    As i said in the 40k thread i am making a loyal night lords primaris kill team i am thinking of a name but i just don't know what

the edgers

Death Stranders.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    As i said in the 40k thread i am making a loyal night lords primaris kill team i am thinking of a name but i just don't know what

The Knight Riders

Trace wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

The Knight Riders

So far I have Vesper Dusk {sounds like a poetic death} Nocturnal Oath {sounds ominous} @honovere's suggestion of Lunar Knights

For a serious suggestion.

The Crucifixus Noctem.

or in low gothic

The Crucified Night.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The Dark Knights.

This discussion has been closed.