As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The sewers arent so bad once you get the hang of the route but the first time is pretty annoying.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    The worst part of the sewers are the G-mutants you face there. They are all in narrow corridors, nearly impossible to dodge around, and are insane bullet sponges. I remember my first time through there I used up so much ammo facing them that I was scared I wouldn't have enough to get through the rest of the game.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh man that intro.

"Jo.....seeeeph!"
    and
    "No!..........................Don't Go."

Get me every time.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Xerink wrote: »
    The worst part of the sewers are the G-mutants you face there. They are all in narrow corridors, nearly impossible to dodge around, and are insane bullet sponges. I remember my first time through there I used up so much ammo facing them that I was scared I wouldn't have enough to get through the rest of the game.

They were way more difficult on Leon's run. Claire handles them pretty easily with the Sparkshot or Acid Grenades.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I got the RE2 remake on xboneX and it looks and plays fantastically. Streamed a bunch with @wafflesmagee tonight and had a blast, despite
    Lickers
    being absolutely terrifying. Neither of us have ever played RE2 before and that was a horrifying thing. We got pretty far and are planning to play more tomorrow.

We're doing Leon for the first playthrough, so obviously we want to go over to Claire next. Is it a bad idea to do hardcore with Claire for the B run?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The biggest difference of Hardcore compared to Standard is limited saves (still enough to save at every typewriter you come across, but not enough to save every five minutes after you get a new item), and limited inventory.
    Once you've got a feel for it, you can probably make the switch easily enough.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I found that the 2nd runs are certainly harder than the main campaigns. So unless you feel like you NEED the challenge I'd say just enjoy it.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The biggest difference of Hardcore compared to Standard is limited saves (still enough to save at every typewriter you come across, but not enough to save every five minutes after you get a new item), and limited inventory.

Also, you can’t stun a zombie by shooting it in the head, which is a pretty important change.

Also, you can’t stun a zombie by shooting it in the head, which is a pretty important change.

Yes this was a very problematic change for me .

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    The boss fights are also harder on Hardcore, Super Tyrant for Leon charges almost as soon as he roars and is more aggressive overall, G3 is faster and more aggressive, G2 gets up after a few seconds of being downed instead of after 12~

So far for RE2Make, I've gotten S rank for Standard Leon A and Claire B and gotten all the Mr. Raccoons, so I now have access to the infinite knife and handgun. Decided to start on a no item box/healing run and had seen a suggestion to do it on Leon A Assisted, so I'm doing that.

So far at about 1 hour in and about to start the Ada section. Inventory is becoming tighter to keep uncluttered, but hey I have so much ammo it's a little silly. Still need to go back and get the Magnum at some point. I am trying to decide if it's worth bothering with the flamethrower at all considering how many slots I have to work with, and I will probably skip it. The enemies are really weak on Assisted mode.

edited February 2019
    Xerink wrote: »
    So far for RE2Make, I've gotten S rank for Standard Leon A and Claire B and gotten all the Mr. Raccoons, so I now have access to the infinite knife and handgun. Decided to start on a no item box/healing run and had seen a suggestion to do it on Leon A Assisted, so I'm doing that.

So far at about 1 hour in and about to start the Ada section. Inventory is becoming tighter to keep uncluttered, but hey I have so much ammo it's a little silly. Still need to go back and get the Magnum at some point. I am trying to decide if it's worth bothering with the flamethrower at all considering how many slots I have to work with, and I will probably skip it. The enemies are really weak on Assisted mode.

You're probably better off skipping the magnum rather than the flamethrower, the flamethrower's much more useful against the Ivys and decent against the bosses. You lose a little damage output without the magnum, but that's easily made up for by all the shotgun ammo you can craft.

klemming on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Second playthrough of the game, doing Leon's first run on Standard. Man, I really like this game. On the second playthrough, I'm barrelling through parts of the game that I was creeping through before. Hit some slowdown due to how Leon's campaign differs from Claire's, but I'm pretty pleased by how differently they play due to their different weapons. Getting rapid fire on Leon's handgun gives me the gun I was wanting all game with Claire and one-shotting zombies with the shottie is soooo nice, but Leon has to play such a riskier game without a grenade launcher. Lickers in particularly are quite a bit a more problematic, with Leon needing to get to closer range for more punch.

Also, they do a pretty great job of making Claire casually badass and I love it. Favorite bit in the game yet is when
    Sherry needs the cure but there's a couple tons of claw-covered Birkin as a problem, and Claire is just all "I got this", hands off the cure to Annette, then hops down on the lift and squares off to kick ass. The fact that somebody just randomly left a functional minigun in some storage room didn't even bother me because it meant getting to kick even further ass.

While I really look forward to a RE3 remake as well, you know what this game really really makes me want? A Dino Crisis remake. This new engine they've built would make some awesome-looking Dinos, and it's been a while since I had a good time shooting up dinosaurs. Hell, let's go nuts and have a Dino Crisis/Resident Evil crossover; I would be so down with having to evade a Tyrantasaurus Rex, or being able to pit raptors against human zombies.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hmm...I kind of wonder if Code Veronica is ever gonna get a remake.

From everything I read of the history of RE it was pretty much the true RE3(RE3 was more an expansion of RE2 that got a name change).

But being on the Dreamcast meant so few people actually played it.

Dragkonias on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I had a graphical issue with the ending cutscene on a Leon B run last night,
    the environment failed to load so Leon/Claire/Sherry were just walking around in a dark misty void with a train car far in the background on one side and a blast of light on the other. I immediately came up with a new alternate story headcanon where they all died on the train and that this was purgatory, but then I busted up laughing a few moments later when the trucker showed up because it looked like a phantom semi flying in from the void.

Purgatory is a dark brown void surrounding a dying star inhabited by demons who pilot flying tanker trucks.

Out of curiosity, if you have the classic soundtrack DLC does it replace the ending credits music as well?

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

From everything I read of the history of RE it was pretty much the true RE3(RE3 was more an expansion of RE2 that got a name change).

It made its way to PS2 eventually.
    And PS3
    And Xbox 360
    And PS4 :P

Code Veronica is on xbone BC now. I reckon it'll be a free live game in a month or two

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Dragkonias wrote: »

It made its way to PS2 eventually.
    And PS3
    And Xbox 360
    And PS4 :P

I mean yeah but I don't think many were interested in going back to play it by then.

Dragkonias on
    And Frugalist / Minimalist done. I ended up going with the magnum instead of the flamethrower and everything worked out fine. Assisted is so generous with how frail enemies are that I had plenty of ammo left over by then end of the game (only used up magnum ammo trying to speed up Super Tyrant).

I've gotten almost everything done that isn't tied to Hardcore or the bonus modes. I don't think I'm going to go into the bonus modes yet and will probably go for first clears of Hardcore next. I think I'll take my time to get a feel for the difficulty setting before going for S rank.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ugh, trying to get through the
    G adults in the sewers
    really sucks with Leon, I am NOT looking forward to trying that on Hardcore or with limited saves. It's pretty stupid that they can grab you and the confines of that one area are so tight that they can easily regrab you after using a defense item; tried getting past the same one something like four times and chewed up all my defense items, and there was just no damn way to force a way past it. I'd just kill the one that was giving me trouble, except the game throws two of them at you in that same tight spot.

Did go back and get the magnum and I'm just not feeling like the thing is at all worth the trip, even with the extended barrel. I suppose it has range over the shotgun, but the shotgun is going to more reliably hit enemies and it ALWAYS fires at max power rather than waiting for the reticle narrow down (although at shorter range); I can't even tell if there's a difference in hitting power between the two. On top of that, you can make a lot more shotgun ammo than mag ammo. So it's two slow-firing high-powered weapons, and I can't really see a reason to take both of them.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Playing through Leon A/Claire B on Assisted as my second set of runthroughs, to allow me to get a feel for each of the modes, has really illustrated a lot about the game

Namely, Claire's weapons are a lot stronger than I initially gave them credit for. In my Claire A Standard I think I used the SMG maybe... once?

I just threw down with Birkin 1 and smoked him in about 15 seconds total. Just, blammo, boss fight over. That SMG don't play.

dN0T6ur.png
    Wrapped up Leon's campaign and I think that the Raccoon City Police Department must have made a mistake or something? It seems to me like they wanted a new police dog and not an officer; Leon was the closest they had to a puppy, so they sent him over. Seriously, you show this guy a shred of affection and he just jumps right into trusting you forever.

Claire is pretty badass, but Leon? Sorry man, but you're smalltime.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Yes this was a very problematic change for me .

And everything takes and does more damage. Enemies have tougher AI and patterns. I swear zombies are straight up faster.

Limited saves are honestly the least of your problems.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I want them to add a new difficulty to the game, and incorporate some of the new zombie types from Ghost Survivors into the main campaign. It doesn't need to be like super hard or anything. Obviously with the white heads and glowing guys it *will* be harder, but they don't need to like, go out of their way to make it harder. I just want to play a campaign that mixes up the enemy types a bit more. I think that would be fun.

Lucascraft on
    I hope Capcom considers an "Arrange Mode" dlc for RE2make in the future. I think that would be cool and add some more interesting things to a new playthrough.

For those unfamiliar, Arrange Mode in the early RE games remixed the item location layout and enemy placement, typically making the game more difficult. I think it might have also messed with some door locks in RE2 (doors required different keys)? I was disappointed to find that the B scenarios in RE2make were nearly identical after finding the spade key (basically after the initial jump into the Police Station).

I can understand why Capcom decided not to go that route for the main game release. They designed a particular flow through the police station and didn't want to disrupt it too much. But I still think some sort of remix would be fun to play with.

Personally, I want a mode where Sherry takes the place of the Tyrant while you yourself play as the Tyrant, chucking fellow infected in her path to buy time to escape her onslaught. She rescues them with the power of hugs, reverting them from horrible zombie to pleasant, appreciative humans. The only way to escape the horror is to make your way to the lab train and escape the city.

I also want to see Sherry smashing through a wall to get you.

Speaking of Sherry, I just finished my Leon B playthrough tonight and
    holy crap, Sherry, your mother and father just died and you almost died a horrible zombie mutation death. Maybe give the grieving process an entire day before trying to get Leon and Claire to marry so they adopt you and get a puppy?

Besides, Claire is way too badass for Leon for at least another two games.

Given what happens to her after that she deserves a fucking puppy.

Given what happens to her after that she deserves a fucking puppy.

Well, it's a good thing they've already got a Leon, that's close enough.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Personally, I want a mode where Sherry takes the place of the Tyrant while you yourself play as the Tyrant, chucking fellow infected in her path to buy time to escape her onslaught. She rescues them with the power of hugs, reverting them from horrible zombie to pleasant, appreciative humans. The only way to escape the horror is to make your way to the lab train and escape the city.

holy crap, Sherry, your mother and father just died and you almost died a horrible zombie mutation death. Maybe give the grieving process an entire day before trying to get Leon and Claire to marry so they adopt you and get a puppy?

To be fair
    they were both kinda shitty parents so I'm not super surprised if she wasn't too majorly broken up about it.

edited February 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »

To be fair
    they were both kinda shitty parents so I'm not super surprised if she wasn't too majorly broken up about it.

That was literally my next thought after being semi-horrified at her just bailing.
    She had one figuratively and one literally monstrous parent. It's probably a really good thing for her that she got over them so quickly.

Besides, Leon and Claire would be way better parents anyway, so I guess there's no reason to waste time shopping around when there a couple of suckers right there already.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Regarding Sherry and the game ending,
    the family photo on the desk in the lab next to the typewriter was pretty sad.

It's not quite what you asked for, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT1Tntk7QU0

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited March 2019
    Uselesswarrior on
    Can someone give me some tips to dodge the G Adults on hardcore? In particular I am trying to run to the queen and king fuses and they run past the 4 or so monsters is wrecking me.

Their patterns don’t seem predictable and I haven’t even tried to take them down because I just can’t burn that ammo.

How are people who S ranking this game getting by them in a reliable fashion?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Can someone give me some tips to dodge the G Adults on hardcore? In particular I am trying to run to the queen and king fuses and they run past the 4 or so monsters is wrecking me.

Their patterns don’t seem predictable and I haven’t even tried to take them down because I just can’t burn that ammo.

I'm terrible at this, but: hoard as many sub-weapons as you can, up until that part, then just carry a few, expecting to get grabbed, and use them.

Also, if one of them is lingering in the water, but you can still see part of its body, you can shoot it, and run past while they're popping up.

The G adults suck ass when going for speed in general, I think that section is a straight fuckup in design. Their grab is way too big and fast, and they're generally way too huge to slip past. It's also really frustrating that they shake off all subweapon counters too fast to run past and just pick you right back up with a grab again, and are just massive damage sinks in general (especially if they don't have an exposed eye, which is at least a couple of them down there).

Plus, getting more than one near you at a time is pretty much a death sentence, there's no way to force them off far enough to stay safe from grabs or hits and if they're liable to spam parasites if they get too far away anyway.

I got through it, cost me a flash bang and a RGB herb.

Hardcore seems designed to fuck with players who think they have enemy behaviors figure out after playing normal. I was able to consistently use the shot to make them come out of water for a run by in normal, in hardcore that hasn’t worked once.

Capcom definitely put a good amount of work into hardcore and it shows.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Fuck these zombies hiding behind doors in 4th Survivor.

Compared to something like RE4's aiming, I've just never been able to get a hang of follow up shots in this game, and half the time I do land them it feels like the game doesn't register the hits unless you space them out. Not classy.

I know you got through it already, but I do have some reliable G-Adult tricks:
    First of all, either carry defence items just in case you get grabbed, or a red/blue herb mix to recover. You don't take too much straight damage from their attack, but the poison really messes you up if you can't heal it right away.

General tips:
    If you can see them lying there mostly under the water, you can trigger them to pop up by shooting them with anything while not quite close enough to get knocked back, then run past while they're still doing their wake-up animation.
    If you've got a ledge you can backtrack to, go to it and climb up. They should come close, then dip back into the water. This takes a while and they can't do anything else while they do it, so as soon as they start to go down, jump off the ledge and you can run past them.

Specific enemies:
    While you're running to the room with the King/Queen plugs:
    First G-Adult should be lying in the water, shoot him to wake him up, and run past before he recovers.
    The second G-Adult will already be up, so you can't use the tactics above. But if you're running through, you can run around him on the left and avoid getting grabbed (most of the time. Having a backup item is a good idea, especially if you haven't saved recently). If you want to grab the loot in that alcove, you'll pretty much have to fight/dodge him on your own.
    You can just run past the last one before it can get you (if you're on 2nd Run, there'll be a zombie in your way. A quick shotgun/flame round is best to get him out of your way fast).

On the way back:
    Lure the first one to the ledge, then jump down and run past as it dives.
    There's sometimes one in the water before you climb out of the water, I don't know if you can trigger it or dodge it, so I bring a grenade/knife to be sure.
    The last one will come charging at you after you drop back down into the water, you can either climb up on the ledge then back down, or just back up to the wall you jumped down from and it'll automatically dive before it reaches you. Then just run for the ladder.
    Best case it can cost you no defence items, worst case it should only cost you two.

I beat Claire B Hardcore. I still think the hardest part was that fucked up start.

Still got lots of random trophies to go after.

This discussion has been closed.