As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    I am super ready to call this thing finished. Only a little more weathering to go!
    AAt2vq4.jpg

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Purple
    A quick WIP of the star player Sinnedbad for my unfinished Blood Bowl Tomb Kings team:
    tbdedgukcgg3.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    There’s nothing in the rules that says a skeleton can’t play football.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    Badablack wrote: »
    There’s nothing in the rules that says a skeleton can’t play football.
    Technically most teams allow skeletons to play, they just wrap them in meat first.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    A quick WIP of the star player Sinnedbad for my unfnished Blood Bowl Tomb Kings team:
    tbdedgukcgg3.jpg

Are you sure his scimitar isn't a bit too small? I mean, it's only just as tall as he is.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    A different, worse colour
    Story time

So back when i first got into the hobby in 2004 i wanted a Jetpack for my space marine captain. Which as far as I knew meant i needed to grab it off another model. So I bought a blister of an assault marine sergeant stole his backpack and he sat in my bitz drawer.

He is entirely pewter except for the jetpack and his right arm and shoulder.

Fast forward to last year and I found out you can just buy jetpacks which i did and have been using. Then I refound pewtery boy and decided to add him to my death company. So I used some bitz gave him a jetpack again and finally painted him. He sat for near 15 years unpainted in my drawer.

It helped i had bought some slotted 32mm bases for some reason which was perfect for him since my jetpack DC are all 32mm bases. The bases were for blood bowl which i don't play but for some reason I had purchased them and they too sat in my bitz box. Good thing cause I had to rebase some of my old death company too since they were all 25mm.

zMM6NSph.jpg
    AQc8P4Nh.jpg
    C4IEhKRh.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Purple

Are you sure his scimitar isn't a bit too small? I mean, it's only just as tall as he is.

I figure if he's going to get called off the field at the end of the drive, it's gotta be for something extraordinary!

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Norgoth wrote: »
    You can get a machine for shaking nail polish that works perfectly for paint pretty cheap online.

I bought one recently, and it was worth every penny.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    @Nips can you show it please? (link would be enough)

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    As much as I appreciate the extra arm workout I think a mini paint shaker is in my future as well.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Gonna start painting my imperial knight. Would it be easier to brush paint the leadbelcher onto the skeleton or put it into my airbrush with some airflow improver?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Airbrushing it will be roughly 537% easier... Provided the nozzle is at least 0.4mm and you know how to get the right consistency.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I think the one I've been using as a 0.8mm nozzle. The airbrush I bought came with 3 different airbrushes. I haven't really had any trouble getting GW paints through it when I mix it with airflow improver but I've never used a metallic GW color with the airbrush so I wasn't sure how much if a difference that would make.

Edit: That airbrush did fall on the ground while the back was off and hit right on the needle which forced it forward through the nozzle more than it would normally go through. Not sure how to really tell if that caused any real damage or not. It was a huge pain in the ass removing it.

So I've been using the 0.3mm nozzle.

This is the kit that I bought. When would I ever use the one with the paint pot on the bottom? That seems really intense.

Airbrush kit I bought on amazon.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Wartrike approaching finished. I have a hard time deciding when a model is "done". I feel like there is always more you can do or at least it feels like it.

zZ3ikDv.png

lJ9knCo.png

My favorite part is the hidden shitty freehand I did on the driver that is almost completely obscured by the warboss himself.

LcVHvlO.png

YaHegsR.png

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Purple
    Mayday wrote: »
    @Nips can you show it please? (link would be enough)

I bought mine off of Ebay, from this very link:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/142645198214

A couple things to note:
    *You'll see this model everywhere in searches, it's a generic manufactured in China. This was just the cheapest one I found on the day I pushed the Buy button.
    *The power button is a little sticky, and tends to either stick off or on or whatever it decides in that moment. I've always been able to fix it by pushing the button a couple more times.
    *Its got a heavy base, but the shaker motor is legit, and I routinely (fail to) watch it as it shakes itself right off the shelf I've put it on. I'd suggest making sure it's secured even slightly to keep it from sliding off whatever you put it on.
    *The included straps are probably big enough for any bottle of hobby paint, but for bigger containers you'd need to rig up a longer strap.

I've really been digging this thing, as my collection of paints largely sits in a box for long periods going untouched. Adding a bit of thinner and an agitation bead, then throwing the pot on the shaker for a couple minutes really mixes and loosens things well.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I was thinking of using vallejo metal color gunmetal grey instead of using leadbelcher since gunmetal grey is already set to go for airbrush use. Has anyone used this vallejo color though? Is it comparable?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    The Vallejo Metal Color range are some of the best metallics you'll find without getting into alcohol-based paints. Absolutely use Gunmetal Grey over Leadbelcher. Also snag some Burnt Iron while you're at it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    What size agitators for Vallejo and Army Painter?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Torn between that huge Army Painter set and getting a few smaller sets of Vallejo.
    Thoughts?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    So I'm gonna be painting up two knights. Vallejo surface prime grey and then metallic gunmetal grey.

Would it be better to use this airbrush?

lFQZ2lw.jpg

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »
    Wartrike approaching finished. I have a hard time deciding when a model is "done". I feel like there is always more you can do or at least it feels like it.

To bastardize an old Hollywood adage, models are never finished; they are simply abandoned.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular

To bastardize an old Hollywood adage, models are never finished; they are simply abandoned.

FYI that's a quote from Leonardo da Vinci, a bit older than Hollywood lol ;-)

• Options
    edited February 2019

Funny you should mention, I'm dealing with this problem right now. I'm working on this guy:
    xgBavKH.jpg

and I feel like there's lots of stuff I'd like to spruce up, but I also feel like I'm at the border of my abilities and I'll fuck it up instead. I'm SERIOUSLY considering adding some rust streaks though.

Mayday on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I deal with that problem a lot. The feeling that I've reached the edge of my skills and going much farther will fuck the model up. I feel like painting loose models that aren't important parts of my army gives me more mental freedom to try techniques I know is beyond my skills currently, but that I can't get good at until I try them.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Funny you should mention, I'm dealing with this problem right now. I'm working on this guy:
    xgBavKH.jpg

and I feel like there's lots of stuff I'd like to spruce up, but I also feel like I'm at the border of my abilities and I'll fuck it up instead. I'm SERIOUSLY considering adding some rust streaks though.

That is how I feel about the base with a pile of skulls I made. I want to add some blood for the blood God to it but I don't want to mess it up because I have it at a place that I feel good about it.

Might be airbrushing a primer and base on the imperial knight skeletons tonight or tomorrow depending of if I go out tonight. Still not sure if I should us the airbrush with the paint pot connected to the bottom or the normal airbrush. I am looking forward to getting started on the painting process though.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Purple
    For what it's worth, some tastefully applied rust streaks might play a really nice color complement to that flashy turquoise (although maybe it would end up looking too dark against that bright background).

On the other hand, it's already an incredible looking piece.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple

xgBavKH.jpg

Everything about these pictures makes me want to punch you in the mouth.

In the nicest way possible, of course.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I think the most important thing all those art classes taught me was to never consider anything you made too sacred to alter. It’s all just steps towards improvement, and if you might discover something from it then douse your skull pile in blood and pour rust on that (effing incredible looking) chaos marine.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    So what would the vallejo metallic burnt iron be used for?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Lotta things. Anywhere you want a dark metal that also looks awesome, and especially as a base for sooty smokestacks.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Purple
    Because I apparently can't hate Mayday to death, I'll do the next best thing and shit up the thread with more Imperial Fists progress.

This time with trying out some Sector Mechanicus bases instead of just using gravel and cork like I've been doing.

Edit: the base was, uh, based using Vallejo Burnt Iron, @Stragint. It goes on so smooth and literally took one drop from the bottle to do the whole base.
    img]j0oOKR4.jpg

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    All this jelly is so tasty and nutritious, you guys! <3
    (thanks for the kind words, I'm very happy with the result myself).

@Extreaminatus that base looks really snazzy!

• Options
    Purple
    I'm loving the richness of that yellow.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Lotta things. Anywhere you want a dark metal that also looks awesome, and especially as a base for sooty smokestacks.

So something like prime the whole knight skeleton grey, hit it with the gunmetal metallic and then git the exhaust ports at the top with burnt iron?

• Options
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »

So something like prime the whole knight skeleton grey, hit it with the gunmetal metallic and then git the exhaust ports at the top with burnt iron?

I'd do the whole thing in Burnt Iron and use gunmetal over it to build up color.

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »

I'd do the whole thing in Burnt Iron and use gunmetal over it to build up color.

Alright, I can definitely do that. Thank you.

• Options
    Purple
    I'm loving the richness of that yellow.

Thanks! It's crazy easy, but a little time consuming because it involves doing a pin wash of Agrax Earthshade, but the yellow part is super easy.

• Options
    Is 50 to 60 degrees too cold to prime and base?

• Options
    Purple
    I think it's outside of the comfort zone for a lot of sprays, but I find that as long as the can itself is at room temperature, it should be fine.

This unreliable anecdote comes to you from the horrible ice waste that is Minnesota at this time of year.

• Options
    I'm gonna be using an airbrush for this.

This discussion has been closed.