As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I understand the desperation that can make someone steal. It's still wrong, but I get it. But to smash the property up because it wasn't "valuable" to you? Real shit stain of a human being.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Friend of mine I work with told me about her old childhood toy.

She was out with her mum and her mum told her to leave her teddy in the car because it would be safer.

Unfortunately some thieves stole the car, dumped it and set it on fire. My friend’s dad called the police to get the location of where it was dumped and when he got there, it was just a shell of car.

However in the back seat was her teddy bear almost untouched with only slightly singed ears.

PSN Fleety2009
    To bring some attention to @Asher 's previous post, and my own confusion. I do not understand Stormcast Eternals. I have the Battletome, but it seems unapproachable when I flip through it. Chambers? Warscroll Batallions? Why are there 8 different kinds of Knights? What are Knights even for? Are they like low cost HQ's in 40k? It seems like Stormcast has a ton of different melee units, but from just reading the stat blocks I'm not getting a sense of what each is for. I can't even really grasp if Stormcast is a shooty army or a chargy one? I guess it can be both looking at these unit blocks, but it's tough. If this were a video game I'd just go try everything, but trying to use the Battletome as a reference for how to expand my Soul Wars Stormcast force to a table ready army is...daunting.

I think a lot of this just comes down to my ignorance of AoS and possibly trying to translate everything to a 40K parallel in my head.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It does work quite differently to 40k, in fact I picked up the new Genestealer Cult codex last week and had quite the headache trying to go in the other direction!

The different chambers (Strike, Extremis, etc.) are just different groups of stormcast that exist in the lore, there's no game-play benefit to sticking to units from only one chamber or anything, purely theming. Unless I'm getting my stormcast words mixed up and you're referring to Stormhosts? In which case they work pretty much just like Space Marine chapters and the like in 40k.
    Warscroll Battalions are similar to the battalions they used to have in 7th ed 40k, where you can group a specific group of units together and they get some additional special rules. The full rules for including warscroll battalions in a matched play army are in the general's handbook I think? Basically you take the units required for the battalion, spend the additional points for the battalion in your list, and you unlock the battalion special rules, gain an extra CP, and can take one additional artifact of power for your army. And you can also choose to drop all of the units in a battalion onto the table at once during deployment, making it easier to secure the choice on who goes first.
    The Knights are just mid-level Stormcast heroes, yeah, as opposed to Lords, I don't much care for the Stormcast naming conventions, I can't remember them all off the top of my head but they all have a different battlefield role, some are more useful than others, and some suit some army builds more than others.
    The advantage of Stormcast is that with so many units available they do have quite a large toolbox at their disposal, and you can run a list that's more or less as shooty or as fighty as you want, or somewhere in the middle. You can go full agro with the cavalry and deepstriking, or a more defensive set-up with Catellants and Stardrakes, there are quite a lot of viable options.

Okay, that helps quite a bit actually. One of the things I immediately miss from 40K is unit type distinctions. In 40K I can have a broad idea of what a unit does by whether it's Fast Attack, or Heavy Support, etc. In the Stormcast battletome it's like armored guy with a shield and a hammer, armored guy without a shield but a bigger hammer, slightly bigger armored guy with a big sword. I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to someone more experienced with AoS, I'm just trying to find my north star as it were.

So that said, if I wanted to play a more fighty Stormcast army, what are some of the key units? I know in watching various YouTube stuff I've heard a lot of talk about Liberators and Retributors. Obviously Soul Wars came with some Sequitors, so building on to those units seems like a wise move. I also love the fantasy of Evocitors, the classic battle mage, so I'll probably run some of those unless they are total garbage. I tend to build "fluffy competitive" lists in 40K. I like to be fluffy and thematic, no soup, but I also like to have a list that can win some games even if it's not against top lists.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Okay, that helps quite a bit actually. One of the things I immediately miss from 40K is unit type distinctions. In 40K I can have a broad idea of what a unit does by whether it's Fast Attack, or Heavy Support, etc. In the Stormcast battletome it's like armored guy with a shield and a hammer, armored guy without a shield but a bigger hammer, slightly bigger armored guy with a big sword. I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to someone more experienced with AoS, I'm just trying to find my north star as it were.

So that said, if I wanted to play a more fighty Stormcast army, what are some of the key units? I know in watching various YouTube stuff I've heard a lot of talk about Liberators and Retributors. Obviously Soul Wars came with some Sequitors, so building on to those units seems like a wise move. I also love the fantasy of Evocitors, the classic battle mage, so I'll probably run some of those unless they are total garbage. I tend to build "fluffy competitive" lists in 40K. I like to be fluffy and thematic, no soup, but I also like to have a list that can win some games even if it's not against top lists.

With Evocitors they are actually the opposite of garbage. Infact they are so good the render all other battleline more or less obsolete. (Or so I’m told).

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    There are distinctions like that, they are just far more broad. Most units don’t have a specific category and might be equivalent to elites, fast attach, or heavy support, but a few will be Battleline, roughly equivalent to Troops while big stuff will be classed as a Behemoth, somewhere between very heavy support and a Lord of War.
    Check the points list Pitched Battle Profiles in the back of the book and remember you need a certain minimum number of battleline units depending on the game point value.
    In general though, the unit’s profile and abilities define it much more strongly than some units in 40k, I find. Please also be aware that, between all the various Chambers and sundry other supplementary bits like the Warhammer: Underworlds warbands, the Stormcast have the most redundancy and overlap between units in the game. Basically the only thing they don’t have at least two of is a cheap-ass skirmish screen.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Norgoth wrote: »

With Evocitors they are actually the opposite of garbage. Infact they are so good the render all other battleline more or less obsolete. (Or so I’m told).

Unless I am missing something, Evocators aren't a battleline unit?

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Yeah they aren't. I assume the unit in question is Sequitors, which are way better than Liberators and are battle line as long as you have a Lord Arcanum as general. I mentally classify Battleline as my Troops Tax in 40k terms.
    Liberators (Generic Melee chuds) and Judicators (Shooty chuds) are the basic Battleline units (Though I think Judicators require like Allegience Stormcasts or something)
    A lot of people seem to take Arcanums as generals, so Sequitors as Battleline seems common.

So Here's what I'm thinking for 2k

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
    Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
    - General
    Lord-Castellant (100)
    Drakesworn Templar (460)
    - Storm Lance
    Knight-Heraldor (100)
    10 x Sequitors (240)
    - Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
    5 x Liberators (100)
    - Warhammers
    5 x Liberators (100)
    - Warhammers
    3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
    5 x Evocators (200)
    Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 104

Haven't bothered to assign command traits or artifacts. It's not super tweaked but It's got a magic core of Arcanum + Evocators + Stardrake for magic buff + Comet for enemy magic debuff. Castellant is there because he's amazing. Heraldor is there to unlock Stardrake or Thundercats or whatever. Also to give Sylvaneth some deforestation problems or make shipwrecks unstable. I feel like if anything it's the evocators on foot which are the odd unit out. The Sequitors are a solid battleline, the Liberators are there to sit on objectives. The foot Evocators are there because I own them.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Norgoth wrote: »

Unless I am missing something, Evocators aren't a battleline unit?

Yeah ignore me, I’m thinking of whatever the battle-mage battline is called.

Can I just take a moment to complain about how GWs naming conventions are straight fucking garbage at the moment.

Stormcast are a perfect example. A whole bunch of dudes who look super similar with names that tell you nothing about what they do. You could swap liberator and retributor and it would make zero difference. That or they make two differently named units for what should just be a weapons choice. (Why are there stabbas and shooters as seperate units with different names now, when there was a single grots datasheet before?)

8th ed 40k is just as bad. Don’t release two new marine units called intercessors and inceptors when interceptors are an existing unit.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Gotta agree that as a beginner, it's tough to figure out my options for building a Stormcast army. Stormhosts really confused me. And not buying the rules, Battletome, or General's Handbook probably didn't help either.

I finally put together 500, 1000, and 2000 pt lists, and each builds on the last in order to keep cost and painting time down. They probably aren't great, but they'll let me play eventually.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So I have a pretty good amount of skaven pestilens piled up for an army, and I am liking the new warscrolls. Could someone confirm something for me?

I was using the warscroll builder, and it now says plague monks can only be battleline if your leader is pestilens, and /every unit/ in the army is pestilens. When I add nurgle allies, it removes them as battleline. Please say this is a mistake. I custom built 6 plague drones with rats that I wanted to use in the army and are worthless if this is how it works now, and they have no resale value since they are plague drones being dragged/ridden by skaven. I guess dems the breaks, but I'm super disappointed more about not being able to use them in the army as planned.

steam_sig.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    According to the warscroll builder, the criterion is "Skaventide Battleline (Masterclan or Pestilens General and all units are Pestilens)". So there might be an opening if you have a Grey Seer general. Read the battletome carefully. (I don't have it, so can't help you there.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    So I have a pretty good amount of skaven pestilens piled up for an army, and I am liking the new warscrolls. Could someone confirm something for me?

I was using the warscroll builder, and it now says plague monks can only be battleline if your leader is pestilens, and /every unit/ in the army is pestilens. When I add nurgle allies, it removes them as battleline. Please say this is a mistake. I custom built 6 plague drones with rats that I wanted to use in the army and are worthless if this is how it works now, and they have no resale value since they are plague drones being dragged/ridden by skaven. I guess dems the breaks, but I'm super disappointed more about not being able to use them in the army as planned.

Unfortunately I think this is how it works under the new Skaven book, though I'm only parroting what I've heard elsewhere, I haven't got the battletome to check the wording myself. My understanding is if you want to use the clan specific battleline you have to commit wholly to that clan (presumably you can still ally in 400pts from whatever allies list the Skaven get? I'm not sure.)

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    @DiannaoChong I looked in the battletome, and here's the exact quote from it: "Plague Monks: Battleline in Skaventide army if general is MASTERCLAN or CLANS PESTILENS, and all other units are CLANS PESTILENS."

That seems to rule out allies entirely if you want to have plague monks as battleline :(

If I were you I'd send an email to the FAQ guys over at GW and ask them to clarify if "all other units" counts allies or not.

edited February 2019
    craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap thats what I thought. half the fun of pestilens is the nurgle keyword and allies you could bring in. Thanks for the insights everyone.

The warscroll builder goes out of its way to remove the monks as battleline when you add allies, and that would have required work to implement, so this has to be on purpose.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    With the Skaven book I am tempted to get the pestilens book

When I wanted to play Warhammer it was one of the things I was kind of interested in in building a Skaven army. I was torn of what though pestilens was interesting but I felt it leaned to hard one way
    I don't remember the clan that had the hordes of clan rats that Queek was a warlord of but it was the thing that shied me away. the financial aspect of it as like the imperial guard it was going to cost a lot to build something I knew only a handful of people played and it was going to be several years of painting before they saw the light again

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    This seems like the most relevant thread to put this in, even if it is a slightly cheeky aside.

We’ve been playing a bit of Mantic’s (then of Kings of War fame) fantasy skirmish game Vanguard, and it’s really very good. Interesting scenarios, engaging activation and fatigue mechanic, and the usual Mantic massively wide army lists that let you shoehorn in any existing fantasy minis you have very easily.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited February 2019
    besides the battalion warscrolls, theres nothing but fluff in the pestilens book. I don't consider it worth the purchase for a 2k army or below unless you want the fluff/narrative stuff.

edit: even the warscrolls are outdated now due to the skaventide update.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    D0FehO0VsAUCBe-.jpg
    Did an Underworlds tourney at one of the local GWs today, rolled a load of sneaky crits and came home with this

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Yes-yes. You kill filthy man-things!

Lurking Skaven was the mvp, shooting into enemy territory like a rocket and then dodging any attempt to dislodge him from objectives, like a ninja

I'm thinking of converting up a gargant into a troggoth hag. Anyone got any input on size? From FW it appears to be maybe 5 cm / 2" tall (in the hunched-over position she's in).

edited February 2019
    She's pretty hefty. 120mm base
    49548130_320183851930967_3287230920246951936_n.jpg.b2bf8d0ab4bde551bc3c1547b5212f8a.jpg
    pic stolen from here

Dayspring on
    I did not realize she was so bulky, or so tall. She seemed smaller from the pics I found. Of course, the gargants are in the background and she in the relative foreground, so the perspective could be playing some tricks on me.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    This seems like the most relevant thread to put this in, even if it is a slightly cheeky aside.

We’ve been playing a bit of Mantic’s (then of Kings of War fame) fantasy skirmish game Vanguard, and it’s really very good. Interesting scenarios, engaging activation and fatigue mechanic, and the usual Mantic massively wide army lists that let you shoehorn in any existing fantasy minis you have very easily.

An AoS skirmish game by the Underworlds/Kill Team folks is on its way.

I'm really happy skirmish games have exploded like they have.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    The troll hag is definitely taller than 2", yeah, it's quite a chunk of resin, unfortunately I don't have one so I can't provide accurate measurements. She's probably not quite as tall as the gargant it, but has a lot more bulk, the river trolls in that image above are probably close to 2" tall maybe?

An AoS skirmish game by the Underworlds/Kill Team folks is on its way.

I'm really happy skirmish games have exploded like they have.

To be fair we don't strictly know that Warcry is a skirmish-level thing yet, or something else entirely. (Though I will be very surprised if it was not equivalent to AoS kill team in some fashion!)

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    a new game that draws on some of the best bits of Warhammer Underworlds and Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team…

I really don't know any other way to read that doesn't make it sound like a skirmish game.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    The troll hag is definitely taller than 2", yeah, it's quite a chunk of resin, unfortunately I don't have one so I can't provide accurate measurements. She's probably not quite as tall as the gargant it, but has a lot more bulk, the river trolls in that image above are probably close to 2" tall maybe?

This was the pic that led me to believe it was only a bit more than 2" tall.

99590209008_TroggothHag03NEW.jpg

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I don't have a hag, but since she's standing next to a bunch of river trolls/troggoths, and I have a few of those, I just went and measured one and they're nearly exactly 2 1/4" from the bottom of their base to the top of their back fin, give or take a smidge for individual variation. The hag looks like she may be twice as tall as that? More, even?

BloodySloth on
    a new game that draws on some of the best bits of Warhammer Underworlds and Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team…

I really don't know any other way to read that doesn't make it sound like a skirmish game.

Sure! And I agree that is most likely what we will get (and I'm very excited for it if so) but from that brief it could be any sort of weird mix of small-scale boardgame with tactics cards, or whatever, I'm sure we'll find out fairly soon.
    This was the pic that led me to believe it was only a bit more than 2" tall.

Your standard Stormcast model is closer to 1.5/1.75 inches tall, which might be what's throwing off your estimation, from that picture I'd guess she's closer to 4-5" tall?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The 40mm base the stormy is on is just under 1.5 inches.

Well looks like I'm getting into this underworlds thing too. One of my friends is mad keen so I'll give it a shot.

Still enjoying Evocators on Dracolines and their ability to mulch stuff

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    Well looks like I'm getting into this underworlds thing too. One of my friends is mad keen so I'll give it a shot.

Still enjoying Evocators on Dracolines and their ability to mulch stuff

Underworlds is a lot of fun. At first I was extremely hesitant due to the cards, but the warbands are dirt cheap and each one is usable as an actual unit in Age of Sigmar, so if you buy a warband that works with an AOS army you already play it can be useful in two different games.

A really cool thing about Underworlds is that (assuming they know someone who has boards and dice) a person can start playing for only $30.

Yeah the afformentioned mad keen friend is getting Nightvault. I'm going to try to find a copy of Shadespire for Steelhearts champs. I've enjoyed the coupld of games I've played, but I'll admit the deck aspect put me off a bit too.

Took the plunge and grabbed shadespire. It's pretty fun! The deck building part is growing on me because it's not as big a deal as I thought.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I have played two games with the Blades of Khorne army I've been building, and have been absolutely demolished both times.

But! I am slowly learning how the army works and have been having a blast. Painting all of this skin has been a big change of pace after painting Space Marines for so long.

edited March 2019
    I've been (slowly) building up my Beastclaw Raiders force, and giving in to my compulsive need to tinker with them. My plan is to make a mixed (roughly 50/50) male/female ogor force. Since GW doesn't make (or talk about) female ogors, that means I have to take care of it. I've made a prototype / proof of concept.

ifxfyfaucx7p.jpg

(I put some more pics in the painting thread.)

The boob window is accidental. There was a huge air bubble I had to cut away. I'll either patch it or leave it; some of the male ogors were modelled by GW as bursting out of their pants, so it's no stretch (pun intended) to have this ogor bursting her tunic.

Changes compared to male ogor base figure:
    • Dramatically slimmed down upper arms
    • Slimmed down neck
    • Cut off love handles to give a more slender waist
    • Edit: Trimmed around the belly hole
    • Sculpted belly over belly hole
    • Sculpted breasts
    • Made broader hips/thighs and larger butt
    • Made face narrower
    • GS tunic, veil and wimple
    (Still need some cleanup on the GS, but his is just the proof of concept.)

Thoughts on improving the concept?

[Expletive deleted] on
    I've been (slowly) building up my Beastclaw Raiders force, and giving in to my compulsive need to tinker with them. My plan is to make a mixed (roughly 50/50) male/female ogor force. Since GW doesn't make (or talk about) female ogors, that means I have to take care of it. I've made a prototype / proof of concept.

ifxfyfaucx7p.jpg

(I put some more pics in the painting thread.)

The boob window is accidental. There was a huge air bubble I had to cut away. I'll either patch it or leave it; some of the male ogors were modelled by GW as bursting out of their pants, so it's no stretch (pun intended) to have this ogor bursting her tunic.

Changes compared to male ogor base figure:
    • Dramatically slimmed down upper arms
    • Slimmed down neck
    • Cut off love handles to give a more slender waist
    • Sculpted belly over belly hole
    • Sculpted breasts
    • Made broader hips/thighs and larger butt
    • Made face narrower
    • GS tunic, veil and wimple
    (Still need some cleanup on the GS, but his is just the proof of concept.)

Thoughts on improving the concept?

This is great, especially as honestly there isn’t much variety in Beastclaw models as is.

Worth mentioning there is in fact a female ogor model available

That's more of a joke character, but you're right. I had forgotten about her. Still, doesn't help my BCR or my compulsive need to customise stuff :P

This discussion has been closed.