As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me find a gaming headset

NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
I have a huge head, so finding a gaming headset that:

1. Fits
2. Fits in a way that doesn't hurt

Is difficult. I'd like to find one that can be used for both the PS4 (preferably with a USB connection so I can get stereo output) and my iPhone (Bluetooth for Discord).

Examples that don't fit:

Steel Series Arctis 3 (even with the strap removed)
PlayStation Wireless Platinum headset

Example that does fit (even if it pinches my ears after a while):

Logitech G430

Does such a device exist?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think this is a multiple device problem that won't really be solved by a typical gaming headset. I use an Antlion ModMic and USB soundcard with a set of Sennheiser headphones and I like it.

I think Creative makes an external soundcard with the capability to connect with multiple devices (including bluetooth) that isn't restricted to a single set of headphones. Which might future proof any headphone / mic purchases.

I use a Sennheiser GSX1000. The Creative X7 was the other option and I couldn't really find anywhere local to try one out.

I'd recommend looking into it at least, anyway.

"Gaming" headsets always get stretched out and crush my ears against my glasses. So they fit uncomfortably until they finally fall apart. I feel your pain.

I like my Sennheiser 558s + Antlion ModMic because if either one fails, I just replace the bit that failed and I can not worry too much about being stuck with a junky mic just because my heads huge.

edit:
    Edit2: That video was not what I remember seeing and was garbage. Apologies.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Astro A50 fits my giant ass head pretty well.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Plantronic RIG are pretty comfy on my huge elf ears and some models support gaming + plugging in a phone but I think that is just with a 3.5MM plug and not Bluetooth so you might need an adapter of some sort.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    im happy with my hyperX cloud series headphones. I have a big head and they are comfy and sound great

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Question - has anyone tried something like Aftershokz? I've seen the PA crew use them during their streams, and I'm curious about PS4 connectivity.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    What sort of budget are you looking at? Because the VModa headphones are amazingly comfortable if you buy the larger cups for them, but they're not cheap.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've purchased two Sades brand gaming headphones and love them.

There's about a hundred of them on Amazon

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    What sort of budget are you looking at? Because the VModa headphones are amazingly comfortable if you buy the larger cups for them, but they're not cheap.

$100 or less

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I have a Corsair Void Pro that I picked up for like $70. I adore it. Great sound quality, very comfortable, even over my big-ass ears. I picked up the wired 3.5mm version, which comes with a USB dongle for PC use, so that I could use it with my PC as well as PS4. Not sure if the USB dongle works on the PS4, but I usually just plug the 3.5mm jack into the controller.

Edit: looks like it's on sale right now for $50 https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Headsets/Stereo-Headsets/void-pro-surround-config-na/p/CA-9011156-NA

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    For the record, my problem isn't huge ears, it's a huge head. As in, I can't wear hats because they're too small to go around my melon. Even hats made by companies that claim to make them for people with big heads (I've bought a few over the years).

Most of the headsets I've tried are, annoyingly, one-size-fits-most, with no real way to adjust them to actually fit my head. Like, the Arctis 3 has this little band that goes around the top... the headset barely fits me (and hurts after an hour as it tries creating a trough at the top of my skull) after removing the band completely. There's no way to extend the ear pieces down to reduce tension at the top, or to do any other kind of adjustment. Same with the Playstation Platinum headset.

The Logitch G430 only 'works' because the ear cups are on a slider. In order to fit my head 'comfortably', they need to be extended all the way down. Even then, they still pinch my ears after 90+ minutes due to the rest of the headset being nearly stretched out to the max, which forces the cups to be at a less than ideal position.

Anything that doesn't have a way to adjust more than headband tension likely won't work.
    ---

That said, some of the options you have all given me look promising, so at least I have a place to start with my research. Thanks! :)

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    For the ~$100 range personally I'd tell you to get a Modmic and then use the rest of the budget on whatever type of headphones fit and feel best on you.

For the remaining $50ish you have everything from Superlux 688b to Philips SHP9500 and even ATH-AD500x that can fit the bill and provide you with a better set of headphones than an all in one unit can. As a bonus you can use the modmic on any other headphones you want so if you upgrade it's only one thing to get, and if you want to use the headphones for just audio or on a trip you can remove the mic from the magnet and you have regular headphones again.

Just be advised that if you want to use a modmic with a PC you may need to get a USB soundcard ($10 if your onboard cannot power it correctly) and for your PS4 you will need a Y-adapter or a usb adapter again for about $10.

iRevert on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I have a large head and use some RCAs that are decent enough for the cost and they don’t pinch too much.

My buddy who has a big melon swears by Sennheiser Massdrop