As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    @Endless_Serpents I'm interested in MonsterHearts

If you could @ me when the recruitment thread goes up, I'd appreciate it

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Big Pathfinder Bundle over at Humble Bundles. Includes the Starfinder core book at $18.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I don't really have any strong feelings about Pathfinder (other than that I know I'm never gonna play it. Not even because I dislike it or whatever, just that I will always prefer other games and also it doesn't matter because I don't have the free time for any RPGs, period), but I love reading monster manuals, compendiums, and bestiaries of all sorts, even games I know nothing about, and this packages has 5 of them (at the highest tier), so sign me up.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Big Pathfinder Bundle over at Humble Bundles. Includes the Starfinder core book at $18.

It should be noted that they're releasing their second edition later this year, which may influence whether this is attractive to people.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

The starfinder books all have some really amazing art. Worth getting just for that even if one is not interested in the system.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Starfinder is actually a pretty decent system, with its major faults being that starship/vehicle combat is wonky. If you can get past that it's great at space opera.

The rest of the books are pretty useless, aside from The Shattered Star adventure path which is a good adventure and can be modded for any (fantasy) system. The rest of the books are just there for character rules, and are all freely (legally) available online at Archives of Nethys or the PFD20SRD. Buying the books just lets you look at the art, and gives you some lore.

edited February 2019
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Starfinder is actually a pretty decent system, with its major faults being that starship/vehicle combat is wonky. If you can get past that it's great at space opera.
    Is there a system that does good starship / vehicle combat?

(shameless "FFG SW is the best space opera system ever" edit)

jdarksun on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    @Endless_Serpents I'm interested in MonsterHearts

If you could @ me when the recruitment thread goes up, I'd appreciate it

Stay tuned on this, it may take a smidge longer as I have a real life campaign that’s gone into overtime. I don’t like to run more than 3 games at once as to avoid outright insanity.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Tachyon Squadron has dogfight-style space combat rules and an entire slant on the skill pyramid just for space combat skills.

Stars Without Number 2nd edition is pretty great.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Elite: Dangerous has good ship combat rules that take a second to wrap your head around due to abstraction but work out well to represent the weird mix of dog fighting and turrets of the setting.

The downside is that the game demands you super care about your ships components and modding and the effects it has on performance. Which is a harder sell than just cool combat.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Star Trek Adventures' space combat system is simple but works really well, and what I like about it is that it doesn't, like, zoom into another mode of play. You're not suddenly controlling a spaceship-shaped pawn on a battle grid, you're still playing your PC, standing on the bridge, and you roll your skills to have them operate the controls for the station they're at (helm, tactical, etc).

rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Star Trek Adventures' space combat system is simple but works really well, and what I like about it is that it doesn't, like, zoom into another mode of play. You're not suddenly controlling a spaceship-shaped pawn on a battle grid, you're still playing your PC, standing on the bridge, and you roll your skills to have them operate the controls for the station they're at (helm, tactical, etc).
    The Orville is giving me a Star Trek itch. I played a couple rounds of STA last year, it seems like a system worth diving into. You recommend it?

The 2D20 system is a really neat blend of narrative and crunch and, as much as I'm loathe to admit it, Star Trek is probably the most solid implementation of the mechanics to a theme.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    STA is great. Simple but flavorful system, and if you're a Star Trek fan, it's easy to whip up 'episodes' to play in.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The Orville is giving me a Star Trek itch. I played a couple rounds of STA last year, it seems like a system worth diving into. You recommend it?

Very much so. The system is easy to pick up and it really reinforces that intangible Star Trek feel.

rRwz9.gif
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Man, I miss my STA game. It fell apart when a couple of the players dropped, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Jacobkosh wrote up a pretty extensive thing about the system here:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37878105/#Comment_37878105

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Also fwiw, while not Star Trek, I run a drop in/out campaign of Infinity during evening times GMT. Which is the same system if you wanna try out the mechanics.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Anyone around here at all still playing or interested in Exalted 3E?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    My friend and co-writer/editor of the overhaul offered to run an Only War campaign where the players are beastmen auxiliaries like in 40k 1E. I’m gonna be a hyenaman. I hope to have a poorly fitting helmet and a stogey in my maw while trench clearing with a drum modified autogun because of course the muties were sent in first. Thinking of commissioning uplifting propaganda art of an Apocalypse Now sort with that guy moving toward the PoV on a poster that just says “Howl to the Emperor”

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Would folks be interested in getting an online Star Trek: Adventures game going? There seems to be a lot of interest.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I’m considering putting up a run at Rhapsody of Blood because it’s been in my head for awhile. What do folks think? Generational Castlevania exploration?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

I’d love to do a local game, but I can barely get a D&D group on the right page so I’ve been really hesitant to try anything else. That and I really want the Dragonblooded and Lunar books in hand, and maybe a setting/campaign book too before starting a game.

For all the deal they made about firing Holden it hasn’t seemed to help their timelines any.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited February 2019

I’d love to do a local game, but I can barely get a D&D group on the right page so I’ve been really hesitant to try anything else. That and I really want the Dragonblooded and Lunar books in hand, and maybe a setting/campaign book too before starting a game.

For all the deal they made about firing Holden it hasn’t seemed to help their timelines any.

The DB book is actually almost done. It's in Indexing, I have the pdf right now (sans minor fixes and index). I expect the pdf to drop VERY soon. That's months ahead of when they planed it to drop (think December). I think they are being VERY conservative on their estimates because of the 3E core fiasco. The new team is doing a seriously good job of turning in stuff early. The Lunar KS right now is giving the rules and material out in preview drops. It's quite nice. New Martial arts based around being the biggest jerk you can think of and making people hate each other. And a Falcon one based around being a Lucha as you possible can be.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    I wasn't impressed with Arms of the Chosen, understandably there was a lot of churn with that book and the turnover going on, but nevertheless I'm still feeling a bit hesitant until I see what the new team has to deliver. That's reassuring though.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited February 2019
    I wasn't impressed with Arms of the Chosen, understandably there was a lot of churn with that book and the turnover going on, but nevertheless I'm still feeling a bit hesitant until I see what the new team has to deliver. That's reassuring though.

Hit up the Dragonblooded KS/Backerkit and drop at max $25 on the core pdf. You'll get it right away. The the DB charms are awesome. I'm really enjoying the reconfigure with how Anima flux and use works. DB's feel very functional, and the charms are less a headache. Arms of the Chosen was okay, but it didn't bother me too much. Again, it was in flux form one dev team to the next. Also, $5 is all you need to KS to get the full manuscript previews. You'll get a giggle at the sacred hunt charms. They are awesome. There is one that is basically "I'm touching your stuff." that allows you to spook people to get their form.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    It might be time to look into Exalted 3e again, but aside from the previous dev problems I worry about finding a group to play this with. I still had to explain how rage worked to my D&D 5e barbarian player after a year of gaming; what hope do I have for explaining Charm trees?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I honestly couldn't fathom playing Exalted without a group of people also dedicated to trying to play exalted.

Similar to trying to play Shadowrun or any more simulationist system: You need the buy in to make the game flow at an acceptable level.

I'd be super happy to find a group with my tastes but I've had terrible luck since joining the military. I know a lot of people find successful groups wherever they go, but in my community at least most think themselves too cool to try tabletop games. I've gotten a few people to do board games and whisky every so often, but they balked at Descent or Thornwatch. About the nerdiest thing I could get started was X-Wing. Outside of the military I've found plenty of FLGS with players, but most players my age already have established groups. I've gotten a few games started with newbies to the hobby, but D&D is about as complex as I'm willing to go with them (and they haven't really heard of anything different). My next assignment is in Japan, so I think I'll try to join a Japanese speaking game. Probably a 40k group to start with. I've heard they really love their Cthulhu over there.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Well, Exalted is one of the few games I'll try really hard to keep an online game of running. Most folks who want to play it online tend to REALLY be into it. That and since Exalted uses range bands instead of concrete distances, etc. It's a tad easier to run.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    It might be time to look into Exalted 3e again, but aside from the previous dev problems I worry about finding a group to play this with. I still had to explain how rage worked to my D&D 5e barbarian player after a year of gaming; what hope do I have for explaining Charm trees?
    I am currently playing (not running) in a game of 3e and, I'm gonna be honest, the base game is still infuriatingly dumb.

But we're using the Dragonblooded splat and aside from some leftover weirdness in the older drafts it's clearly been chopped to remove extraneous dice trick charms, edit the charms down to the bare mechanics, and the lore stuff is objectively superior in every way to what came from Holden/Morke.

It is still a big book!

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Exalted 3e is a game where social interactions are boiled down to a 2 page reference sheet based on individual narrative and mechanical NPC stats.

For better and worse.

My thoughts on Morke and Holden as people have deteriorated significantly, but I thought the lore they had was decent enough. Would you mind expanding a bit on what you mean?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    This comic series is great, so I’m looking forward to the game.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/10/18131140/die-kieron-gillen-rpg-image-comics

steam_sig.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    My thoughts on Morke and Holden as people have deteriorated significantly, but I thought the lore they had was decent enough. Would you mind expanding a bit on what you mean?
    The decisions they made on lore seemed, at least to me based on comments made by them in the IRC and later Discord, to be driven entirely by a) how mad it would make someone they personally hated and/or b) how significant a departure it was. For them this was all about "making their mark." Which, frankly, they did but not in the way they had hoped. Neither of them is likely to get much by way of work going forward.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    I'll defer to you on that. Certainly I'm not impressed with Holden's demeanor or the company he keeps. During the initial release I mostly paid attention to the big picture decisions they were making story-wise, and maybe buying a bit too heavily into the narrative that they were working hard integrating all the future content like Lunars, Liminals, Getimen, and whatever other flavors of Exalted would be. If you've got a specific example of how the new stuff is better than their work I'd be interested to hear the reasoning. This isn't me trying to call you out; I don't really feel like I've got a good frame of reference as to what is "good" lore or "bad" lore. I think the closest I've come to analyzing it was in my comparison of Starfinder to Esper Genesis which was mostly based on how they presented information.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    The core game is serviceable, if clunky. I sometimes eye stuff like Blaque's charm houserules to clean up some of the worst offenders. Otherwise, it does what it does well enough. I agree the new DB book is a tome, but damn if it's not a nice one. The Lunar Kickstarter is looking quite nice, and for the first time I actually feel like I can build a proper tricksters Lunar who messes with peoples heads. Hell, the latest stretch goal is a map of creation from the Lunar's point of view. This is the kind of stuff the first KS should have been. But alas.

So 3E is...not bad. It has it's quirks, but it's no better or worse than prior edition. And I'm fine with the new lore, it's just fodder for campaign ideas.

We got he Lunar manipulation charms today. Finally, Lunars are better liars than Solars. It only took em 3 editions to give us the Loki's we've been demanding.

Pathfinder 2e coming August 1st.

Hype.