As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I had the dream run today: All for One, x2 Claw, x2 Go For the Eyes, x2 Beam Cell, x1 Zap+, x1 Hologram, and x1 Turbo. Just cruising along cleaning house. Figured this was gonna be EZPZ as long as I didn't get Time Lord, but even then I should be okay.

Then I ran into Snecko. And the dream is over.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Snecko giveth, and Snecko taketh away.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    Snecko giveth, and Snecko taketh away.

But I didn't needeth anything from Snecko. He should just go away.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm so bad at the Ironclad.

This A13 run basically just fell into my lap with an early Demon Form and Heavy Blade+. You have to try to lose at that point! But...
    Well, I still won, but it was really close! Most of the times it was close was because I was trying to be all clever with Reaper and gaining my strength back, but I am soooo not patient enough for it or otherwise messed it up and often ended up losing more HP haha. But it paid off a couple times, and then the last boss was easy enough. One-shot his second form just for lols.

nroe3agrvaij.png

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Go to hecko snecko

VRXwDW7.png
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    extremely disheartened by this unrepentant Snecko hatred, smh

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    A12 w/Defect complete!

ghy9iovekoch.png

This deck was filthy. Merchant's Mask as free gift meant saying bye to all my Strikes. Electrodynamics and Ball Lightning carried most hallway fights with Creative AI holding me back until I upgraded it in the 2nd Act. But then I got the Mummified Hand and that was basically it. AI + Hand created a 0-cost cycling machine.

And Seek into Core Surge + Biased Cognition (which made Core Surge free) was way unfair. If only I could get a deck this good every run.

The icing on the cake was being at full health 2 rooms before the boss and getting the "Upgrade all cards but no more healing" event. Look at all that beautiful green....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited February 2019
    I may have died to the Awakened One, but if anybody tells me 3x Heatsinks+ is wrong I will face God and walk backwards into hell.

I would have been okay if I found any focus generation, but alas, alack.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • ArcsurvivorArcsurvivor CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The new steam cards came out when the game left early access. Which one is your favorite? I like The Champ with his crown/shield.

Arcsurvivor on
    Hearthstone: (Wild and Arena)
    Currently Playing on Steam - Journey down Ch 3/ Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Okay, seriously, fuck this climb.
    swmgyxnefin2.png
    It was alright for Act 1, and even Act 2 actually went fairly smoothly. But after beating the boss and having my choice of another energy relic that really didn't help me (man I could have killed for kite this run ...), I was not feeling great about act 3. A bunch of the fights across the floor were stressful, with - of all things - the elites being kinda nice to fight since they were mobs. But I had to fight TWO tangled masses, and the Transient way out-sped this deck and probably threw 50 damage at me. Super-bonus-points went to getting the only merchant I was going to reach on my chosen path, then getting a surprise treasure chest that gave me a Normality. The frail came out of the normal floor chest. Those were about the two worst pulls I could get, since boot wonderfully mitigated weakness, and most others are minor or innocuous. ALAS.
    Time Eater was the most stressful shit and I BARELY scraped by, killing him the turn he would have killed me.

The deck's main problems were that it couldn't discard cards that often to keep cycling (oh for an gamble+), and that it couldn't really play out cards fast enough to keep drawing either. It was great for being defensive until it wanted to go explosive though, which was kinda fun. Still, that act 3 just drained me. That's enough for tonight ...

• ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I got my first Ironclad heart victory last night in the most nail-biting way:
    Dead at the end of my turn, most of my deck exhausted, out of apparitions, and I had enough damage by 1 to beat the heart. Literally the last card I could play was just enough.

q14oxu8by8v5.png
    ro0a75zzo8vx.png

The apparition event is just sick, although I found out in A2 that they exhaust without being upgraded. The combination of corruption (skills are free but exhaust) and feel no pain (3 block when a card is exhausted) turned out better than I hoped through Act 3. Having 6 thorns between a potion and the relic, on top of flame barriers, really helped for the heart too.

ShadowofVT on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Yeah corruption + feel no pain is one of ironclad’s biggest synergies.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Bottled Apotheosis+ is unfair

I'm triggering runic dodecahedron on every turn on Asc 20 defect, including the Act 2 boss the entire battle. I've always though that runic dodecahedron was the worst relic.

I'm trying to avoid campfires cause they are pointless. Maybe I can find a shovel in a store...

Took down four elites in Act 2.

Burtletoy on
    edited February 2019
    So, second time facing the heart, the first time was when I turned it down to Asc 1.

Asc 20 Heart is a little bit harder.

I still think I can win this so I'm gonna keep save scumming until I get the win. This deck is pretty stupid, seems like it should be able to win

I keep forgetting to drink my power potion, then drinking it while my hand is full, so it goes to waste :/

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Burtletoy on
    Stupid 200hp shield on the heart. I still think I could figure this fight out, but I think I'm just going to take the L

Had a 20 energy echo formed multicast of two dark orbs at 21 damage.

Which would be about 882 damage if the heart didn't have that shield

edited February 2019
    Speaking of the heart, it occurred to me that I haven't actually fought it yet. After a few misfires I got it:

mlaf4182zaii.png

Naturally that was without any added Ascension difficulties, but I just wanted to see the fight. It started a bit rough until I got Echo Form -> Loop+, Loop+ activated. So my first orb was activating 6 times at the start of my turn. Combine that with Data Disk and x2 Defrag+ and a single Ice Orb was providing 42 Block. Made the fight pretty trivial.

But I don't care, I'll take it!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I upgraded 2 random cards for 23 HP.

When I had less than 23 HP left.

oooops

Steam profile
  • ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I upgraded 2 random cards for 23 HP.

When I had less than 23 HP left.

oooops

I'm actually kind of interested in what the game over screen looks like for a situation where you die out of a combat encounter.

Heart beaten with The Ironclad!

o6hdtrm2yw8y.png

Your typical Barricade + Body Slam build. Even though Barricade was in my last 5 cards, I was able to pull trough and get the win. The Relics I got made a lot of disgusting synergy with Mummified Hand and Charon's Ashes adding tons of cards to my hand. In the Heart fight, I ended up getting 2 extra Entrench cards. Pretty nasty.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That moment when your deck goes from "Kinda sorta okay" to "ahahahahahahahahahahahaha" in the space of a couple of floors.
    2BE3482CB9AE3A90A0B4201D1D3D8433C24C763F

Literally, that was Elite, Augmenter Event, Chest, Shop with Clockwork & Ornamental Fan all in a row.

It just carved 169 hp off the collector. On turn one!

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Dead to the heart, to my complete lack of surprise! Which is a shame, but i'm not really sure what the outs were - I think finding different potions? I tried a few reloads against the heart and lost every time, eventually for real when i forget to chug the artefact pot and ate 67 damage

A speed pot + a second artefact pot probably would have been enough. Maybe a different turn 1 hand vs the A4 elites so it got the kill on one of them turn 1. Good run though. Maybe if there'd been more campfires to lift at early, i could have transformed cards instead? But that permanent +3 strength was REALLY good, so maybe that would have been the wrong choice... Maybe there's a world where we found a wraith form+ and got to duplicate that at the duplicator event instead of Piercing wail, and that got us through. Or pantograph was found, and that was enough (We had 11 thorns vs the heart, which is a LOT, so we had the damage to kill the heart for sure, we just didnt have the defences). Maybe vampire event so we could have bites instead of strikes, and that would have changed the sustain math enough?

Some other stuff it did: Turn 1 kills on Nemisis (normal and super elite version). Turn 1 split of Time Eater (I almost wish it'd been awoken one, because turn 1 killing wokeblokes first form would have been hilarious and acutally pretty strong).
    747D6A61A9E91394E5E3AA165F9109A8A2530836

I'd actually love to see other people's take on this seed, or what you'd do! HAVE AT IT.

@ArcticLancer - You were right on the money with the Ironclad deck, it did not generate block nearly enough to get anywhere. The silent deck's a lot more complicated, honestly. Yes, Kunai scaling could have been a thing, but the deck never found the C&D and/or blade dances, let alone the upgrades for them to make it work. Realistically, what it actually needed was wraith forms - It was absolutely fine to combo off offensively with poison, and do so quickly - but it still needed to survive the 4+ turns it'd take to kill the heart with 200 poison. (it also probably needed to be thinner/have some discard options? It's a very, very crowded deck looking at things)

So, I'm doing the best that I can over here because I'm only on A18, but I thought you'd like to know how my first run went with seed 5FC8RBUWEQ6JQ
    This is my first time playing A18 - I have no idea what the capacity of strengthened Elites are. I decided it might be fun to roll the dice and took the boss relic boon from Neow, which awarded me a Runic Dome. I had a good laugh, and then abandoned the run. XD

So, on the plus side, I think my second attempt is guaranteed to be better! :D

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm fool enough to start grinding Ascensions again:

Ironclad, A16:
    Submitted with no particular comment other than the fight pop-up, which was a real nailbiter.
    9B3A874D00AFCA6DF15076F6A940D9C2BDCBC8EC

Ironclad, A17:
    Naturally, the only time I've seen Dead Branch without getting annihilated is at the start of Act 3 with the Time Eater coming up. Still worked.
    3467B9F194E5801D36A73D6AEE5040B9F057ABB6

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited February 2019
    Well, my second run was going really well. It was similar to Penguin's since a few of the cards are pretty no-brainer and the Act 1 artifacts were unavoidable, but I had diverged in that I grabbed an early Malaise and a ton of Flying Knees, and found a corpse explosion along the climb in Act 2 which made the elite fights I took on a breeze. Oh, I also found and upgraded the Wraith Form they wanted. :P
    Killed The Collector with no real tension, grabbed Busted Crown because I was feeling pretty confident with what I already had and hoped to smith some more of it, and then at the very start of Act 3 my computer BSOD'd (not a common occurrence) and wiped the save. Not really feeling up to doing all that again right now, unfortunately. But I'd say I had a pretty good shot at beating Deca+Donu, so I might go back to that seed later to try and clear A18. :(

ArcticLancer on
    Just a note @ArcticLancer : I use they/them (no worries, you didn't know).

I will however shake my fist at that wraith form! And that malaise. Both of those would have helped a ton...

Merrily, the edit button fixes all issues. I'll try and remember that going forward all the same~

A morning spent on other things cleared my head enough to go at it again.
    Granted I wasn't running at the heart here, but I absolutely had the leeway to do so. I was feeling very confident going into the fight against Donu+Deca. >_>
    cvhqxtra8y4f.png

Results:
    icqvtotprwip.png
    Yeah things got dead. I killed them turn 3 and didn't draw my corpse explosion. Those big all-in turn 1s were pretty fun, and for most of the climb I was gaining life because of blood vial. Molten Egg was a shop guy so I could get another Backstab and figured I had 2 more floors to go so I might get lucky. If I was being a serious good player person I probably would have bought the mirror and gotten a 3rd Wraith Form+. Assuredly, it was all unnecessary anyway.

It's a shame you never got finisher like I did. Fishing for it with gambling chip lead to some truly beautiful turn ones. Even better when you got blade dance+ in the same hand. So many bodies.

Nice work!

Doing this to champ never gets old:
    20419F969C4705A1C096530C9AE3B52201A002A4

Also, i am planning to stream some runs with explaining why i'm picking what i pick, why i'm routing the way i am, and why i'm about to die horribly (Inability to do math on the fly, tbh).. once i'm a: not suffering from chronic insomnia, b: not sick (Due to chronic insomnia stealing my immune system and selling it on the black market), and c: not sorting out candle orders that have gotten delayed because of a & b.

Doing this to champ never gets old:
    20419F969C4705A1C096530C9AE3B52201A002A4

Also, i am planning to stream some runs with explaining why i'm picking what i pick, why i'm routing the way i am, and why i'm about to die horribly (Inability to do math on the fly, tbh).. once i'm a: not suffering from chronic insomnia, b: not sick (Due to chronic insomnia stealing my immune system and selling it on the black market), and c: not sorting out candle orders that have gotten delayed because of a & b.

Woo Hoo!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Given i'm on a 40 loss steak right now, i'm not sure why you're all excited =D

(In my defence, i am sick and suffering insomnia, so i'm sure that's super helping me be good at this game)

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Given i'm on a 40 loss steak right now, i'm not sure why you're all excited =D

(In my defence, i am sick and suffering insomnia, so i'm sure that's super helping me be good at this game)

Note the timestamp on my A16 clear there.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Was excited that over the weekend that I cleared A19 with the Defect (kinda standard mummified hand/power deck), so I was riding high on that feeling, especially since it came relatively quickly after my A18 victory...

And then A20 very quickly put me in my place again. I don't think I've even gotten to the Act 2 boss yet. :bigfrown:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I think the biggest thing holding me back in this game is constantly trying to build the ideal deck instead of getting the cards I need to survive the next fight.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited February 2019
    Gentlefolk, i'm confident on how to win the game:

Just have A1 spit out Golden Idol, Red Skull, Bottled Inflame (with a limit break from a shop), Dead Branch, Incense Burner and Mercury Hourglass and you'll be fine.

Edit: Make sure to get Fiend Fire and Snecko Eye from the a1 boss, for insurance purposes.

...why not get Self Forming Clay, Charon's Ashes and Pantograph as well by the time you're done with your first elite fight in a3!? (Seriously. THE FUCK IS THIS SEED)

The Zombie Penguin on
    edited February 2019
    ...Yeah, i think i would have been embarssed if i lost this seed. What the fuck even. Apparently the spire felt really bad about my 40 loss streak?
    D3F2B4733F78361C4425F1112F1492691CE6F4CE

Also no, you're not misreading the str number there. Things happened, okay? Things. happened.
    Edit: I like that that hand was basically a selection of interesting ways to kill the heart. I belive i cast Fiend Fire, clearly i should have used Pommel Strike, and will now hang my head in shame.

Neow's blessing into double 1 hp elites, and then the run just went entirely off the rails. Demon form on floor 23, Corruption on Floor 24... There was less stratergy in this run and more ARGHBARGLEKILLALLTHETHINGSARGLEBARGLE. 5 perfect elites, 1 perfect boss, i'm sure this could have been done better but i wasn't exactly /trying/ at any point in this, just sort embodying "Scream angry stick demon man on fire".

I believe i actually got to cast feed twice: Once on a super elite giant head, and once on Deca.

Deck here if anyone cares to pursue, because Snecko/Corruption/Deadbranch is "Put good things in your deck, the deck". Deeply strategic as you can tell. During the heart just playing a card that exhausted gave me ten block and did 3 damage.
    5E60438EEB125BEDBEAD22B9CD2332B7E5DF3067

(otoh, hey, if you're all having a bad time in StS, i highly recommend this seed as stress relief.)

Edit Edit: I just noticed i clipped out the seed. WHOOPS.

RTNYC1CK8XIW should be it.

The Zombie Penguin on
    edited February 2019
    I just finished A1 and decided to take Astrolabe to discard a Strike and both of my Flying Knees. In return I got Noxious Fumes+, Bouncing Flask+, and Distraction+. Did I mention I bought Snecko Skull earlier in hopes of finding poison?

Hopefully I can make this work.

Edit: Got to the Heart and died. No matter how many times I retried, I take 3/4 of my health on turn 3, then go down to 8 on turn 4 after using my Fairy potion. Could stay alive for several turns after, but it just wasn't enough. It buffed it's attack and got me with an 8x12 that I simply couldn't deal with. 1-2 more turns of poison (it had 100+) and I would have gotten there. Oh well....

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Headbutt + Havoc is a very silly, very fun deck to play. That's all you need to know~
    eiu2cwl476b5.png

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Okay. I have been stuck on ascension 2 (don't laugh) for what seems like forever. I never have enough defense. Even if I take nothing but defensive cards I don't have enough defense. Does the RNG just hate me or am I doing something completely wrong?

Okay. I have been stuck on ascension 2 (don't laugh) for what seems like forever. I never have enough defense. Even if I take nothing but defensive cards I don't have enough defense. Does the RNG just hate me or am I doing something completely wrong?

There's probably something you can improve to make your runs at that level more consistent, yeah. Which character?

Steam profile