As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E IC thread - Introducing the Cooperatives of Ravnica]

• DraconiclastDraconiclast Registered User regular
    Inside the terrarium, Jhank arranges and rearranges his rocks and twigs into different piles and different orders. He'll make one arrangement, consider it, then do it again. He isn't manic about it, though. It's deliberate. He's very thoughtful.

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    The following morning, you wake up to find that Tallyrand has been up for several hours already. He's assembled a full staff in the great room, several young people who look like locals to this area of Ravnica who are coming and going with messages for the elderly cleric.

As the party comes into the great room, he says, "Ah, good, you're up. I have my people out trying to find information about this staff Jace has us chasing after, as well as the other two you were told about yesterday. In the meantime, I understand there is some ne'er-do-well scaring children around here, and those barbarians in the Cult of Radkos are abducting people around here?" He pauses, considering Vaamuj and Rawk "No disrespect intended to my own Gruul allies, of course, of course." He tuts around, picking up some of the papers he's been given, shuffling them, and then replacing them. "In any event. I think it best that we begin to gain the trust of our immediate surroundings, following yesterday's...events. Go track down this Uncle Creepy or Mister Disgusting or Captain Scary or whatever the children are calling him and deal with it."

(If anyone wants to talk to Tallyrand before you leave, or do anything else, go for it. Everyone is back up to full health.)

twitch.tv/draconiclast
  • DaEvlOneDaEvlOne Registered User regular
    [Uldin goes up to Tallyrand and pulls out both the "contract" he confiscated from the Blackline and the Orb.]

Uldin: I think this will come in handy when it comes to figuring out what the Cult of Rakdos is up to. [hands the contract to Tallyrand] Now, anything you can tell me about this Orb??

Tallyrand reaches for the orb, pauses, and then reconsiders it. He says, "That was assigned to you by Jace, yes? Maybe ... it requires an attunement? Perhaps it is something that works through his will? I hesitate to explore this further, the Living Guildpact is such a ... temperamental and capricious man sometimes."

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    Uldin: Yea... thanks.

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    [Rawk is going to look around and then look at Vaamuj]
    Rawk: What was suppose to be offensive? I am a barbarian. I wasn't aware that Rakdos also has barbarians. Perhaps they want some tea!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • ranmasoloranmasolo Registered User regular
    Vaamuj shakes his head and pats Rawk on the shoulder.

"They think civilization is superior. They call us savage and wild and think it is an insult. They do not understand that their cities and subjugation of animals and nature... that is the real insult."

Vaamuj huffs a bit making a squeaking sound through his trunk.

"Its alright though. People like us will always be there to balance their folly."

If anyone is to wander past Vaamuj's room they will notice that he has mostly piled hay and pillows and rugs and blankets all over the place. There's also the window, left wide open with a pile of what looks like meat scraps on the windowsill. A couple cats are chewing at the scraps. In the room itself on closer inspection theres what looks to be a wild dog fast asleep, blending nearly perfectly into the blanket its curled up on. A small table set up across from the window has attracted a crow... at least the pile of birdseed in the center has anyway. Theres a rustling in the hay, from something unseen.

I imagine most anyone at this point will reach into the room and actually shut the door to Vaamuj's room.

[Rawk is going to nod and then sigh]
    Rawk: [grumbles] Nobody ever wants tea

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    Rawk: Time to track down this Uncle Creepy yes? Onward friends [Rawk is going to start to walk towards the door]

(Will have a post tonight, sorry for the delay)

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    The party eats and gears up to head out to investigate this man that they heard about the day prior. Tallyrand has a couple of possible addresses he wants the party to track down that could be this suspicious man - it's clear that, like the day before, the neighborhood has a lot of information they want to sell to the cooperative, and so Tallyrand is probably just doing his due diligence. Rawk takes the lead, charging out the door to hunt down the rumors of someone harassing children nearby.

There is no evidence outside of anything that happened the day prior, beside some notices from the Azorian Senate that amount to "if you see something, say something" - several of which have already been defaced and/or papered over. There is no sign of any body in the street or any of the violence that took place outside the HQ, and the people in the street largely ignore the cooperative.

As they travel, the go past the Blackline, which has a sign on the front door that reads "CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE." The word 'further' was originally spelled wrong, then crossed out, and spelled correctly.

They travel a few more blocks, eventually arriving at the first address. It is an apartment building, at least 15 stories high. It seems to you all like the woman who spoke out yesterday mentioned a home, but here we are. The paper Tallyrand provided with this address says, "12C"

What do you all want to do?

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    [Uldin is fully hooded and cloaked... looking like a Franciscan monk. He walks into.... is there like a lobby? Looking around for any signs of life, he reaches into his cloak and pulls out his book of research notes, opens it up and starts chanting in every language he knows trying to grab someone’s attention.]

There is a pretty rundown lobby with a couple of old wooden chairs at a small round table across from a block of mailboxes. The tubes apparently don't run here. There is some foot traffic, but not a lot at this time of morning.

What is Uldin chanting?

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    Mostly gibberish... make anyone there think he's crazy... utter the words Uncle Creepy a few times

Vaamuj sits and listens to Uldin for a minute, thinking perhaps he can make something out of what the man is saying.

"Oh... I get it."

Vaamuj looks around for stairs. Once he finds them he's going to head on up to the 12th floor.

(I need a performance check from Uldin to see how people respond to this chanting and if he's able to draw a crowd at all.)

Bypassing the elevator and the rest of the party, Vaamuj heads to the stairwell, en route to apartment 12C.

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    Performance check... rolled a Nat 20!!!!!!! no bonus for performance

Uldin's gibberish chanting resonates with a few people walking through the lobby. They stop and watch him for a moment, then begin to join in the chant themselves. One of them, an older Elvish man, bends a knee to him.

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    [Uldin lowers his hood, closes the book and pulls out the orb. He raises it up as the crowd continues to chant and then reaches to the older Elvish man who has bent down on a knee..]

Uldin: My son... speak into the orb. Tell me what you know. Let the truths of this uhh... apartment building and all of Ravnica be known to us!!

[Uldin begins the chanting again with his new found "followers" and takes a look back at the rest of his party and just smirks at Jorah.]

[Rawk is going to follow Vaamuj]
    Rawk: Clearly we two are the best to talk to anyone!

Rawk also chooses to bypass the elevator, joining Vaamuj in taking the stairs. I'm going to ask for a series of constitution saves from them both, so go ahead and make those now.

Uldin has the orb in his hand and holds it out to the elf kneeling in front of him. He starts speaking to it in Elvish, repeating basically what Uldin said about - "reveal the truths of Ravnica to us, almighty orb, and we shall follow your grace for all eternity."

Whether because of the chanting or because of some kind of coincidence, the orb springs to life. It starts first by vibrating very slightly in Uldin's hand, but this becomes much more intense in a matter of seconds. Then, a holographic projection appears, as it did before when Jace was communicating with the party. We see the exterior of apartment 12C, high above the party. The hallway is dark; a single light flickers some distance away from the projection. In the shadows, something moves - a flash from left to right across the projection, then slowly moves back into frame, then back to the right, then across again. It's moving too fast.

The elf looks up at Uldin, confused. "What...what does that mean? This is the secret of Ravnica?"

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    4 constitution checks...

8 + 4 = 12

15 + 4 = 19

13 + 4 = 17

16 + 4 = 20

4 Con saves
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Rawk's first save.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Rawk's second save.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Rawk's third save.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Rawk's fourth save.

Rawk's first save:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    Rawk's second save:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    Rawk's third save:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    Rawk's fourth save:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

[Uldin looks at his newborn believer, takes a look at the orb... notices the 12c on the door and then back to the believer.]

Uldin: My child, 12c holds all the answers for us. Do you know who lives in 12c? Can you lead me to 12c? Will you answer the call of 12c!?

Vaamuj is able to march up all 12 flights of stairs without issue. Rawk, on the other hand, is winded by the time he reaches the 12th floor and unable to take any action. I need an initiative roll from Vaamuj.

What is everyone else doing?

(Note: If we're losing interest in this game, let me know and we can kill it. If you're not having fun that's fine, of course, but then there's no reason for us to drag it out. I just want to make sure. No hard feelings.)

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    The elf leads Uldin to the elevator bank, and with great reverie, presses the button marked '12'.

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    (No loss of interest, just a crazy week!)

Initiative roll 6 + 1 = 7

Vamuuj looks around each way, hoping to see which way the letters go.

[Uldin motions for Jorah, Delveed and his new elvin follower to enter the elevator.]

Uldin: Scales, Delveed.. my son.. please, let us enter and go to the revelations of 12c!

[Uldin enters the elevator...]

As Rawk is doubled over catching his breath, Vaamuj is confronted by what appears to be a gigantic rat that has been given crude enhancements - there is some kind of harness around its lower jaw and spikes affixed to its tail. It lunges at Vaamuj with a bite attack and misses.

(OOC: I'm glad people are still enjoying this and definitely get the real life part. My wife and kids are both laid out with a nasty stomach bug and I can feel it coming for me, so if I don't post again for another day or two, that's why. I'm more annoyed because this is starting to get Ravnica-y and I don't want to lose our momentum, but here we are.)

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    I'm alive! Let's play.

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    (Does Rawk need an initiative roll?)

*Rawk is gonna lean on the wall and then look over at the fight.*
    Rawk: I'll be right there. I just have to examine the fight and catch my breath.

No initiative yet, he's going to take a couple of rounds to get his wind.

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    Okay then in that case...

Vamuuj looks at the giant rat beast thing and screams!

"What have they DONE to you?!"

Without a thought to the fact that it just attacked him, Vamuuj is going to cast Speak With Animals.

"Tell me who hurt you and I will KILL THEM!"

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    (Finally have time to catch up on things, going to read up on what I've missed and make a post soon)

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Delveed takes one look at the staircase and decides to wait for the elevator. Given the dilapidated condition of the building it's almost certainly a deathtrap in its own right, he's just as certain that walking up twelve flights would also kill him. When it arrives, he steps in with Uldin.

The rat looks at Vaamuj.

"The world has hurt me. I am nothing. I am violence now."

twitch.tv/draconiclast
    Vamuuj feels a rage in the pit of his being.

"Let me fix you, I know I can!"

I'd like Vamuuj to use his next action to try and remove the harness thing. Whatever roll/action that'd be just let me know when he can try.

Roll of 13 + whatever skill or stat you want.

So let's play it as Vaamuj trying to convince him first, so make a persuasion check. If that fails, then he'll have to try to grapple the rat I guess.

@Griffmoy going to assume that Jorah is also in the elevator, so here comes the rest of the party shortly.

twitch.tv/draconiclast