As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Harmonix] New Rock Band peripherals are coming!

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Are the PA Rivals Crews still... crewing?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    On what platform?

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I have been lax for a long time due to Christmas acquisitions like Assassin's Creed eating up my gaming time. I need to get back at it.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    CowShark wrote: »

Move Minor Standard on Xbox is...kinda. we typically have 3-4 people chip in a little each week, with a couple putting in enough woodshedding to keep us competitive till Platinum or Diamond winds up bogging us down.

A consistent drummer for spotlights and more XP and LP grinding each week and we could maybe actually hit Bloodstone before the heat death of the universe. We've been legitimately on the cusp twice in the last week of a season, but haven't been able to clear that last hurdle.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    We've stumbled to Diamond on PS4 for I think every week but one?

The key seems to be you let the active crews outpace you and do their thing and then just deal with all of the other crews that have three or fewer people contributing :P

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

Move Minor Standard on Xbox is...kinda. we typically have 3-4 people chip in a little each week, with a couple putting in enough woodshedding to keep us competitive till Platinum or Diamond winds up bogging us down.

A consistent drummer for spotlights and more XP and LP grinding each week and we could maybe actually hit Bloodstone before the heat death of the universe. We've been legitimately on the cusp twice in the last week of a season, but haven't been able to clear that last hurdle.

All that said, if you want in on the Xbox crew, yeah, I can make some room. We have a few people that I don’t think have participated at all in quite a while.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I'd be into that.

Xbox tag is same as here.

CowShark on
  • Options
    I'd be into that.

Xbox tag is same as here.

It seems I can’t invite from the app, so when I get home from work I’ll add you.

• Options
    Cool. I'll be probably useless till Monday, although maybe get a little today.

How does one get to Brutal mode? Do you have to unlock it, or am I just not good at navigating?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Cool. I'll be probably useless till Monday, although maybe get a little today.

How does one get to Brutal mode? Do you have to unlock it, or am I just not good at navigating?

I think it’s under the first option. I forget what it’s actually called but the menu is basically organized like this.

Play songs
    - Quickplay (I just wanna play music)
    - Brutal mode (play with disappearing notes)
    - Play a Show (Play a set of 3 or so songs, vote to keep going or quit when you’re done)

Careers
    - Rivals Hub (view the current challenge and applicable songs for that week)
    - Go on tour (the old Story Mode, Play sets of songs, advance when you’ve earned enough stars, get extra fans and money by completing Stage Presence challenges like upstrummijg a bunch on bass or nailing HOPOs on guitar)
    - Rockudrama (the new story mode, the story advances no matter how bad/good you do, with different cutscenes depending on your performance)

Perrsun on
  • Options
    How...

Was it possible that a dedicated crooner is a good add to the crew? How many days do spotlights usually last?

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    A good vocalist can be the difference between promoting and not promoting depending on the challenge and how late in the season it is.

• Options
    How...

Was it possible that a dedicated crooner is a good add to the crew? How many days do spotlights usually last?

Yeah it seems like every crew has plenty of guitar/bass players so drummers and vocalists can have a huge impact because not many crews seem to have them.

Just being able to put a score on every part for all 3 spotlight songs almost automatically puts a crew in the top 5-10% for that category until it gets really late in the season.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Gonna try and get some Rock Band in for Move Minor Standard tomorrow. Been a rough month or so for me, just now coming out of it.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    I was gonna say “save your energy and we’ll advance next week”... but if next week is gonna be Country Week, then it may end up being better to advance now. :P

• Options
    edited February 2019
    http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/284425/an-update-on-harmonix-forums

Harmonix shutting down their forums. They're not gonna keep them up as an archive, either.

Which makes sense. Forums have seen huge declines over the years, social media and discord/reddit took over, and forum software is a huge security risk on your hosting unless you continually stay on top of patching it and hoping it doesn't break.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I was gonna say “save your energy and we’ll advance next week”... but if next week is gonna be Country Week, then it may end up being better to advance now. :P

I got some Dixie Chicks, Johnny Cash, and Zak Brown Band, I can give us a push.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Yeah if you can deal with playing some country those weeks are generally super easy to advance on in my experience

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Okay, so now that some people have been promoted out of our tier, we'll be competing against people who promoted from below, and the rest of the people who were already in our tier?

Like, LP will be counted against who's left? Or is that still against everybody?

CowShark on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    All 3 metrics are compared to the people in your tier. (This can have a big effect later on, since in lower tiers you don’t have a lot of people playing obscure songs, and it’s easier to get lots of LP off of them, where in higher tiers people tend to play everything in their library.)

The first promotion opportunity is generally the hardest, since it will have the smallest pool, and yeah as people get promoted from below your own pool will grow.

So just using rough numbers from what I’m seeing in the app, there are 226 crews in Platinum now. So we probably had a pool of 500. It looks like this next round will have 657 in Gold.

It’s weird, though, because you have a lot of different mentalities fighting each other.

You can take a few weeks off throughout the season, then climb, and your pools will be bigger... but if you wait til too late in the season to climb you end up facing increasingly dedicated crews making higher-effort pushes because of the deadline. (I.e. I’d much rather make a push from plat to diamond in week 6 or 7 than in week 8, because in week 8 you’ll be facing people that are desperate.

I haven’t officially tracked our progress over the past seasons, but it does seem to be our cadence that we go:
    Week 1: get to silver
    Week 2: get to gold
    Week 3: stay Gold
    Week 4: get to platinum
    Week 5: stay Platinum
    Week 6 or 7: get to diamond.
    Week 8: lol nope

Perrsun on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Ah ha!

I figured out how to get my Vocal skill to be 1000.

Pretty nice.

CowShark on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Huh, so the challenge isn’t country this week. It’s nature and stuff. So Oasis, Blue Oyster Cult, Gorillaz, songs with “Ice” or “Fire” in the title. (And it seems like I was gonna end up playing Creedence one way or another this week)

I am glad to be wrong.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Question:
    Do you build rivals xp faster if you play multiple instruments on your profile at the same time? Say I enlist help to play drums or I play songs as vocals and guitar at the same time?

CowShark on
  • Options
    I think that only the logged-in instrument counts, and guests on the profile do not. So you could have multiple separate Rivals participants on the same console, but can’t post scores on one profile for more than one instrument at a time.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    The comma in that band name is giving me a headache.

• Options
    I'll take songs that I'm only going to play once for 100, Alex.

• Options
    Being a huge Tomas Haake fan, I will take a vicodin and do my best to fight through ankle pain till I can 5 star Bleed on expert drums.

Go, go, gadget polyrhythms!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Wooo, I am _not_ excited about the challenge songs this week.

Bleed is 7 minutes long! Give me back my life!

CowShark on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Pray For Plagues is the first non-Harmonix band song in music store history to come back from being hard delisted (we're ignoring the RBN chart fix delists, etc)

(But it technically wasn't licensed by HMX the first time around, though. But it does mean delisted RBN isn't out of the question, now)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Wooo, I am _not_ excited about the challenge songs this week.

Bleed is 7 minutes long! Give me back my life!

The spotlight songs are no good, but I’ve been enjoying the selection of songs a lot more than I thought I was going to.

I see we’re right above that cutoff for promotion... I’ll try to put in a few more songs tonight and if anybody else can help, even just for a few songs, we should be good.

• Options
    I'm on vacation from tomorrow till the 20th, so no Rock Band points from me.
    Is that... will that still be in time to take a shot at the end of the season?

• Options
    I'm on vacation from tomorrow till the 20th, so no Rock Band points from me.
    Is that... will that still be in time to take a shot at the end of the season?

You’d be back in time to start Week 8 of 8.

Though I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You put in a ton of work last week, and as you can see it’s now really difficult to advance. But maybe we can make a run for it in week 8. We’ll see.

• Options
    Another week of “that’s the wrong one to put in the pass” :/

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Another week of “that’s the wrong one to put in the pass” :/

The alternative was Fall Out Boy - there was no right one to put in the pass this week.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    man wasn't Paradise already available in RB?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg