As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So, Josh Homme suffering allergies?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Josh Homme is way more handsome than that!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's why I suggested that his face would be swollen from allergies!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I went to college with that dude

Haircut and all

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Something about that image is very off-putting. Like uncanny valley but it is supposed to be a person's face.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That seems like an odd complexion for a Roman. Do you get many ginger people in the Mediterranean?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Red and blond hair are often mentioned in the sources, but standards which hair color is which differ across countries also today

Also you find all shades in Italy and eg Turkish people with red hair

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The imperial mullet

• Options
    edited February 2019
    There was a lot of gene flow across Europe and from and to the Middle East (and North Africa) across history

Most of the markers used to distinguish European populations on a genetic level are relatively recent mutations, like in cases 19th century recent

Platy on
  • Options
    Re: the People of the British Isles project, there was a bias in the result because the survey was limited to people whose known ancestors had lived exclusively in an area (many of these people already past retirement age, so their grandparents would've been alive during the 19th century)

The idea was to find the most stable lineages so maybe a genetic echo from earlier periods of British history would emerge, so it was specifically designed to produce the data it yielded

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    That seems like an odd complexion for a Roman. Do you get many ginger people in the Mediterranean?

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I love roman busts. My favourite is the famous one of Caracalla.

800px-Caracalla_MAN_Napoli_Inv6033_n01.jpg

So much emotion.

My second favourite is Caligula because his bust was originally painted, and by identifying the paint particles, they replicated the aproximate look of the original bust.

Cropped_color_calligula.jpg

He looks so familiar.....

Funny note: Caligula isn't his real name, it's his nick name. Apparently when he was a kid, his dad took his family along while he was a general in Gaul. The kid got a replica kid set of armour, including army boots. So everyone would call him "Little Boots" So, adorable right?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Caracalla is like the definition of disdain. Presumably towards his brother.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Neveron wrote: »

Suetonius was also notably gossipy, and wrote about Nero some decades after Nero's death (Suetonius himself was born after Nero's death). There's a fair amount of evidence from comparing with sources contemporary to Nero that Suetonius either made up or just published a lot of rumors as fact about Nero in particular.

By several accounts, opinion of Nero swayed hugely. Some of the senatorial class hated him because of his plebian birth, and others loved him because he gave them gifts. Not a huge amount is actually known about his political rule, but he's pretty uniformly described as a very unhappy man.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    We can all agree, that no matter the hair colour, Nero looks like he carried a body pillow with an image of Venus on it, yelled at his mother Agrippina to get him more garum for his fried chicken, and would get angry that the Vestal Virgins wouldn't sleep with him.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    What an artist the world lost

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The best greek statues are herms, the ones that are just heads on a pillar and then the dudes dick lower down on the pillar

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Caracalla is like the definition of disdain. Presumably towards his brother.

See, I read it as "Who just farted? Did one of you just fart over there?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Weren't basically all marble figures painted originally?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Greeks and Romans both painted their statues, as a rule

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Man painted statuary looks fuckin tacky as shit, I wonder if our garbage will look better after sittin around a couple thousand years

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression that most of the modern painting done to antiquity statues, or replicas thereof, look like shit because it's a lost art, not because the greeks and romans did it bad

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Shorty wrote: »
    I was under the impression that most of the modern painting done to antiquity statues, or replicas thereof, look like shit because it's a lost art, not because the greeks and romans did it bad

Well, their aesthetic values were completely different as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah, the Greeks and Romans both painted their statues, as a rule

Also, buildings.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Probably a little bit of both, honestly

We know they were painted, but we don't really know how they were painted (there's like, a little bit we can determine from archaeological record, but not as much as would really be helpful most of the time)

But also the Romans loved tacky bullshit in every other instance, so...

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Probably a little bit of both, honestly

We know they were painted, but we don't really know how they were painted (there's like, a little bit we can determine from archaeological record, but not as much as would really be helpful most of the time)

But also the Romans loved tacky bullshit in every other instance, so...

What's not to love about tacky bullshit?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    If you see reconstructions with white skin and red lips for example, that's sometimes because traces of color have only been preserved in one spot

They also had aesthetic preferences and sensibilities which were different from our own, this is not readily apparent but we look at their art through a mirror (we admire and we're used to the look of the unpainted statues because the color was lost)

Slow because phoneposting

Platy on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    We also are probably biased against painted Greco-Roman sculpture because we've almost exclusively ever seen extant examples of them sans paint. To us, they are "supposed" to be unpainted, so ones that have color look wrong to us.

Hell, thinking about it, Renaissance sculpture up to the modern day isn't painted at all, is it? We fully based an entire art form on an incorrect viewing of an older version.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Looks way sweeter though

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I love roman busts. My favourite is the famous one of Caracalla.

800px-Caracalla_MAN_Napoli_Inv6033_n01.jpg

So much emotion.

This guy's hot.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that is precisely what I thought as well

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

thracians and gauls were classically attributed as having many redheads, so gingers absolutely existed in the late roman period

• Options

This guy's hot.

Just a heads up, the guy didn't get named the "Enemy of all Mankind" for nothing. Just ask the people of Alexandria.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

thracians and gauls were classically attributed as having many redheads, so gingers absolutely existed in the late roman period

Nero is of the Julio-Claudian dynasty though

I wouldn't say it's impossible, and we don't really have a lot of information on the appearance of the non-emperor members of that family

But it does seem unusual for an old Roman family

• Options

I mean I didn't think they didn't exist, I've just never associated them with that part of the world before.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I mean I didn't think they didn't exist, I've just never associated them with that part of the world before.

I meant that post in the sense that they totally existed a bunch in the empire at that point in time

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

This guy's hot.

Just a heads up, the guy didn't get named the "Enemy of all Mankind" for nothing. Just ask the people of Alexandria.
    It's funny, I checked his wikipedia page to see what his deal was earlier, and it's like "he enfranchised a bunch of people, minted a new type of coin, made a really big bath," and I'm thinking huh, sounds like a pretty cool guy, "commited massacres, plural" oh.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Never mind!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Gallia Cisalpina also lay in what is nowadays northern Italy so you could jump on your chariot and go buy Celtic crafts and stuff

This discussion has been closed.