As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Anybody on xbox want to run the Shattered Throne tonight? My buddy wants me to run it with him tonight (potentially twice because he wants the Wish Ender). We're both familiar with the mechanics of the dungeon from watching guides on YouTube, but neither of us have ever actually done it. We were going to try and 2-man it, but I figured if there's someone around at about 8pm EST that wants to go, that would just be better for everyone. Just let me know!

Well, it took us like 3 hours but we duo'd the Shattered Throne. Hell yeah.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Played enough Banner to clear the 2nd Crucible step of The Last Word, then finished off the rest of that quest. The last mission was a neat concept, but I found it rather extremely annoying in actually playing it. Still, glad to have this thing back. Kind of weird that the whole quest is geared towards getting a dark weapon/power/whatever and the reward is TLW...

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Well you’re researching a dark weapon, but TLW materialized in your moment of need to fight that weaponmaker

It’s basically that trope where the good guy is battling evil and seems unable to succeed, and just when you think the good guy is gonna lose, their final power unleashes to save the day

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »
    If ya'll are hating the climb to 2100, know that it's not even halfway to Not Forgotten. >.<

I don't mind that one. I like what they did with the two hand-cannons where Luna's is the basic model and NF is the "you are a fucking crazy person" one that's slightly or situationally better.

The problem is getting to Luna's is kinda bullshit.

NF really sucks for the mainly pvp crowd, though. Like, I focus on raids and going into each season I know I can manage to get all the new raid items and challenges and hopefully a title, if RNG is even a bit reasonable. If you’re all about pvp, though? That grind is gonna be some next level shit.

That just kinda gets to the heart of the issue with PvP in this game, where they can't decide if it's a progression system or a ranking system.

Is NF a thing you work towards like a raid drop or a thing you only get if you are good enough, like a ladder reward in a MOBA or something.

And of course it's a weapon you actually use which only makes that problem more pronounced.

I think it’s a ladder type system to me. They just, due to complaints, made it easier for players to go up the ladder a bit than down

But you’ll still hit your max where almost everyone you play is better than you despite the win streak bonus

I don’t think it’s feasible e to “grind” the rewards. You can grind a bit above your skill level with lucky win streaks and carries but that’s it. Eventually you’ll still max out. If your a 1500 player maybe you could grind 2100

But you’re never getting NF.

I’m torn on the unique rewards for comp. on the one hand it’s super awful that a top tier PvP gun is behind top skill PvP wall but on the other hand getting lunas last season and mountain top this season have been the most rewarding destiny 2 experiences

For it to be a ladder you'd need pure skill-based matchmaking. Otherwise your ladder doesn't function.

I’m not sure if this is semantics or not, but what you’re saying is true as long as the ladder itself is also based on that same skill
    metric

You can’t do what comp originally did and have two different systems for your matchup vs your rank on the ladder. (Hidden sbmm and displayed glory rank)

Currently through two seasons of comp it seems like my matches are pretty damned close to my rank always. So maybe I’m lucky but the ladder has worked well for me

It’s just a ladder that is slightly easier to climb instead of fall. Which artificially inflate your final rank if you’re persistent but not by a whole lot

No, what I'm saying is that the ladder itself is only based on that skill metric if it matchmakes based on it.

Your ladder populates itself via assigning points to wins and losses. The only way those points can be allocated in a meaningful way (at least, without different amount of points being given or taken depending on skill levels) is via skill-based matchmaking. (And if you are giving different amount of points to each player you still need to know where people lie on the ladder itself and make assumptions about what that differential means.)

Basically, if you play a game, one person wins and goes up, the other loses and goes down because that game means the winner is better then the loser. Do this enough times and people start to sort themselves based on their skill. But assuming you are giving everyone the same number of points for a win (which Destiny does) this only happens if the two sides are considered roughly equally skilled by the system.

If that isn't true and if matchmaking is random or based off other factors, then the system no longer functions because maybe person X is continually being matched against really shitty players, whereas person Y is continually being matched against really skilled players. X keeps winning and Y keeps losing but that doesn't say anything about their actual skill levels against the overall system and your rating system is meaningless. And that's what Destiny is doing and why their ladder, isn't.

But destiny uses glory for matchmaking and rank. It didn’t back at the start for it has for 2.5 seasons.

I know some folks complain about how good of a job it does but folks like to complain. For me it’s always been pretty spot on

So I’m confused because you’re describing the glory system when describing a ladder then saying the glory system isn’t a ladder.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Played enough Banner to clear the 2nd Crucible step of The Last Word, then finished off the rest of that quest. The last mission was a neat concept, but I found it rather extremely annoying in actually playing it. Still, glad to have this thing back. Kind of weird that the whole quest is geared towards getting a dark weapon/power/whatever and the reward is TLW...

Here's my supposition: Drifter was trying to get you killed by Enkaar and his proto-Thorn to finish its creation. Shin saved you by sending TLW, and that's why Drifter is so pissed to see you.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
    Vagabond wrote: »

Here's my supposition: Drifter was trying to get you killed by Enkaar and his proto-Thorn to finish its creation. Shin saved you by sending TLW, and that's why Drifter is so pissed to see you.

Very strange of the Drifter to specially arm you to fight his enemies and then try to get you killed a week later though. Maybe he thought you'd be able to beat Enkaar (because his invulnerability is baloney anyway) and is freaked out by the presence of TLW in any case.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »

Very strange of the Drifter to specially arm you to fight his enemies and then try to get you killed a week later though. Maybe he thought you'd be able to beat Enkaar (because his invulnerability is baloney anyway) and is freaked out by the presence of TLW in any case.

Maybe he has a deal with Enkaar to provide a Guardian with tainted Light in order to finish the proto-Thorn, after which he would claim it as his own?

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I just jumped back in, having left after Warmind felt hollow. Seems like they've made a lot of good changes...but I'm feeling this pretty hard right now.

238356799_jy85z-2100x20000.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So, the lore from the oracle this week
    really unhappy that they killed off eris morn in a fucking lore page

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Where are all the PS4bros? I'm in the PS4 and Xbone Clans and the Xbone guys had all the clan engrams unlocked like, day 1 this week. PS4bros haven't unlocked a single one yet, lol.

Get off that Apex shit and hop back on Destiny, you lazy gadabouts.

I’m not in the PA clan but play pretty regular and always looking to play with other ppl on PS4. If you ever want to group up just let me know.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    skyknyt wrote: »

What is the name of the entry you are specifically seeing? Because that wasn't in the one I saw this week.

Edit - Oh, that one. Yeah I skimmed that one but didn't think it was definitive. I should read more carefully though.

Zombie Gandhi on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I didn't interpret that as Eris getting killed. I think she's in a bad spot in the time loop but I don't think they've written her out.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The black armory is taunting me by refusing to sell the shotgun frame.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

I can't tell if you're aware of this, but the shotgun comes from the raid. There is no shotgun frame.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Forge frame weapons:
    Heavy Machine Gun
    Auto Rifle
    Hand Cannon
    Bow
    Pulse Rifle
    Sniper Rifle
    Sword

There's also a random selection of Black Armoury versions of Y1 guns. One of them is a shotgun (Baligant). These drop randomly from forge completions.

There's also raid weapons. One of them is a shotgun and the kinetic version of the EP Shotgun (Threat Level).

shryke on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Don’t toy with my emotions like that.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited February 2019
    On the final boss of my 3rd Shattered Throne run this week I finally got the fucking ship!

Now all I need is that fucking ghost shell to drop and I have the Dreaming City title.

At least I don't have to worry about doing ST anymore. I'll just try to solo it and otherwise there's no reason to run it.

shryke on
    I was not aware of that, which would explain why I haven’t seen it.

I play solo so frequently sometimes I forget this game has raids.

So I've heard the 3rd Leviathan raid is straight garbage, but I would like to possibly run it once if I can get a group going later this week / this weekend?

Doodmann wrote: »
    So I've heard the 3rd Leviathan raid is straight garbage, but I would like to possibly run it once if I can get a group going later this week / this weekend?

Nah, it's fun. It's just the last boss is kind of a pain in the ass, especially when it was top level content during Warmind.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

It's not that it's garbage so much as the last boss has a lot of very finnicky mechanics that instantly wipe you if not done correctly within pretty punishing timers, and is notorious for being buggy and inconsistent in how well those mechanics actually want to work. It can be very frustrating.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Most of Spire of Stars is great!

The boss fight has issues which unfortunately sour the whole experience.

What kind of LL should I be at for it? I'm catching up right now going through the forsaken campaign.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Spire has a top 3 transition-between-raid-encounters sequence, better than most in either Destiny. I'm struggling to think of many that are the same combination of fun to play and just friggin incredible to look at.

Arteen wrote: »
    Most of Spire of Stars is great!

The boss fight has issues which unfortunately sour the whole experience.

It's got some great encounters and looks pretty and everything teaches you mechanics you will need later.

The last boss is just a bit overloaded with all those mechanics and his DPS phase is a fucking random clusterfuck that will screw you over after 10 minutes of work based on nothing and that becomes real frustrating after a few attempts.

edited February 2019
    Having now duo'd Shattered Throne twice in one week, and completing all of the optional Wish Ender stuff as well, I can confidently say that place would be a joke with 3 people lol.

milk ducks on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    As someone whos soloed ST already, is it possible to get Wish Ender solo or is there stuff in the questline that'll ruin a solo player?

milk ducks wrote: »
    Having now duo'd Shattered Throne twice in one week, and completing all of the optional Wish Ender stuff as well, I can confidently say that place would be a joke with 3 people lol.

I mean, mostly yeah. It's like a super strike. And like a strike it's never really that hard in the end. Especially once you have the levels and know the encounters.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I did shattered throne with 2 randoms from an lfg site, no mics, and we pretty much just cruised theough it (which was nice after 2 hours of me banging my head against dul solo).

My two teammates were very surprised at my acrius knight kill strat (grace rift/empower punch and you can nearly 2 shot each of them), but they adapted quickly and killed dul before half the timer was gone

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Hey guys.

Been a while, something came up and I knew I had to stop by just to say hi.

How to upset a hunter main with one image:

otots1x2em58.png

ronzo wrote: »
    I did shattered throne with 2 randoms from an lfg site, no mics, and we pretty much just cruised theough it (which was nice after 2 hours of me banging my head against dul solo).

My two teammates were very surprised at my acrius knight kill strat (grace rift/empower punch and you can nearly 2 shot each of them), but they adapted quickly and killed dul before half the timer was gone

Yeah, that strat has started going around since the buff.

We finished the encounter in about 10 seconds with 3 acrius in a well of radiance to kill the knights in a few seconds and then a Nighthawk GG shot to one-shot the boss.

I finally got my Last Word!

The second to last step is pretty damn tedious. I only needed 1 witches ritual still and 3 of them in a row either bugged out or weren't made heroic before I got there.

But that last quest was tons of fun. More shit like that Bungie. Even without dialogue or, like, almost any context it was a fun little adventure. Took me a bit to figure out the trick with the duel but that was cool.

skyknyt wrote: »

I think you're misunderstanding something. Also, are you a week behind? That person wasn't even mentioned in last week's card (Thank You).

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    What in the holy hell is wrong with the HDR in this game

Opty wrote: »
    As someone whos soloed ST already, is it possible to get Wish Ender solo or is there stuff in the questline that'll ruin a solo player?

There are three challenges you'll need to complete. The first one is during that initial area where you have to match the symbols on the temples. It's easy enough for one player, I think.

The second involves carrying an orb across the planks where the ogres try to knock you off, which is easy if you just clear the ogres first, but then you have to carry another orb through that perma-slowed infinite shadow thrall area. That's probably a big pain in the ass, since you can't defend yourself or heal, but I'm sure there's a way to do it solo.

The final orb is during the ogre boss encounter. After you dunk to take his shield down, an invisible minotaur will spawn at the back of the arena and killing him is what makes the orb spawn. You then take the orb and dunk it into the wall, which then makes another ogre boss spawn. He's no big deal, really. The problem with doing that bit solo is that the main boss is going to be spamming those super axion bolts that seek you out. You can normally shoot them out of the air but obviously not while you're trying to transport an orb. This is probably the biggest pain but if you can tank the damage easily enough with better gear (I'm only like 610, and I'm wearing some Riven's Curse mods so I take more damage), you'll be fine. Once the second boss dies, all you have to do is kill it. If you fail the encounter you're still fine and won't have to do it again.

After that, you just complete that boss as normal and turn the quest items in to that statue and you get your bow.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    That boot makes me uncomfortable for more than one reason.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Guys. I've been clearing Forsaken raids twice a week since October.

Thats nearly half a year. 20+ weeks.

And I still don't have a raid exotic from either of the raids. This is the most surefire way Bungie could make me stop caring about loot (and therefore the game).

The carrot only works if I reach it before I'm exhausted.

edit: I mean look at this guy - https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/avgcf7/i_held_the_record_for_most_last_wish_chest/

Dude did LW 3x a week since it came out and he just now got 1KV. 69* chests opened! That insanity. His advice in that thread? "Never lose hope." Nah, fuck that. This is a gun in a video game meant to have fun with in a game that I play to have fun. If I can't get the things that I'm meant to have fun with in a reasonable time frame then screw it. Its the game's job to entertain me. It's not my job to endure some literally asinine grind so that I can experience the fun I wanted to at a point where its temporal value is basically in the negative at this point.

*nice

ObiFett on
  • HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    What in the holy hell is wrong with the HDR in this game

HDR = dark as shiiiiit

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
    The game is already super dark. I don’t even have HDR and the secret caves that look like black walls until the ghost turns on are impossible for me to see. I can’t imagine what it looks like in HDR.