As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I love living in Seattle. My career kept up with the the rent hikes, so I don't feel the pinch a lot of people have. If you can afford to live here, and you're at all proactive about being social, you'll find a lot to do and a lot of amazing people. The screwed up economic situation is just screwing a lot of people over and it's damned hard to have a good time when you can't pay rent, and a lot of cool little spots are getting emptied.

Outside of other people being screwed, my biggest complaints that aren't my own fault are the commute and the terrible men's clothing options.

What's wrong with flannel?

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I love living in Seattle. My career kept up with the the rent hikes, so I don't feel the pinch a lot of people have. If you can afford to live here, and you're at all proactive about being social, you'll find a lot to do and a lot of amazing people. The screwed up economic situation is just screwing a lot of people over and it's damned hard to have a good time when you can't pay rent, and a lot of cool little spots are getting emptied.

Outside of other people being screwed, my biggest complaints that aren't my own fault are the commute and the terrible men's clothing options.

What's wrong with flannel?

As much as I hate plaid it's only half the problem.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Alright, the thread has been sufficiently repentant that I will not stop my life mid-upend and redirect away from Seattle based on a handful of comments from internet strangers.

And I will also add that I'm not moving to Seattle to work for Amazon, so I'm not part of that problem, hooray!

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I love Seattle. I just prefer living in my B city within driving distance of that A city. Now pardon me while I spend the rest of my life watching the light rail slowly approach.

Straygatsby on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I will forever champion Tacoma over Seattle. I’m sad that by the time I finally move back I’ll be priced out of there too.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I will forever champion Tacoma over Seattle. I’m sad that by the time I finally move back I’ll be priced out of there too.

And it will still smell awful.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

And it will still smell awful.

Hey! That's only on Tuesdays, Thursday, and...some...other days!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

You can park in the city for free!!!

That alone makes it better than Seattle!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Bellingham has no odor and you can park.

Do not come here.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

... because no one wants to park there.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    All of you just move back to California or Texas! Stop moving here and inflating my rent prices!

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    All of you just move back to California or Texas! Stop moving here and inflating my rent prices!

Mfer I was born and raised in Renton

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Weird flex but okay

Just kidding Renton is solid. Beats the shit out of Bremerton. They should put that on the sign.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Kenmore is my home and I love living here. Move on people.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.

I was born there! My giant family is there!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Bothell represent, though I'm sad we're being yuppified.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Walla Walla kinda sucks as someone who doesn't like wine or the outdoors. The onions are pretty great, though. Tri-cities is pretty lame for the same reasons, though it also gets beef from me because by all account is could have been a cool city if they just got their act together.

Basically, SE Washington is the pits.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Weird flex but okay

Just kidding Renton is solid. Beats the shit out of Bremerton. They should put that on the sign.

No need to bash on Bremerton when Tukwila is right there.

I mean I've only lived here for about two years, but escaping the middle of nowhere Midwest has been great. Sure, my rent is double what it was there, but so's my pay and there's so much more in close proximity.

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Walla Walla kinda sucks as someone who doesn't like wine or the outdoors. The onions are pretty great, though. Tri-cities is pretty lame for the same reasons, though it also gets beef from me because by all account is could have been a cool city if they just got their act together.

Basically, SE Washington is the pits.

My Walla Walla story: enter restaurant, a vegetarian friend asks what are the vegetarian options, the waitress asks: that's, like, chicken?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Weird flex but okay

I mean I've only lived here for about two years, but escaping the middle of nowhere Midwest has been great. Sure, my rent is double what it was there, but so's my pay and there's so much more in close proximity.

Literally the situation I'm looking at. My rent won't be doubling leaving the Midwest, but I know I'll be dropping from having a 3-bedroom house with a garage down to a 1-bed closet where I'll have to pay extra for parking... and I'm 1000% looking forward to it. Having a ton of living space is pretty pointless when there's hardly anything around to actually do.

Also, corn. Could really do with seeing a lot. Less. Corn.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Preach - you're pretty much in my back yard. Near Canyon Park?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Weird flex but okay

Literally the situation I'm looking at. My rent won't be doubling leaving the Midwest, but I know I'll be dropping from having a 3-bedroom house with a garage down to a 1-bed closet where I'll have to pay extra for parking... and I'm 1000% looking forward to it. Having a ton of living space is pretty pointless when there's hardly anything around to actually do.

Also, corn. Could really do with seeing a lot. Less. Corn.

Also, apparently the corn out here doesn't taste as good, according to my boss from Iowa.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Preach - you're pretty much in my back yard. Near Canyon Park?

Somewhat, its within walking distance if you're stupid like me... I'm right off downtown bothell, near the post office.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zonugal wrote: »

that's too bad

Shorty on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

reminds me of that time the legislature gave a few billion to Boeing and then, a year later, Boeing shipped a bunch of jobs to China

these people are incapable of learning

edited February 2019
    Yeah dont bargain with wealth, just take it

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Oh hey, that building is right across the street from the 5th Avenue Theater.

I have to listen the construction noise every day I'm working there and it's honestly the fucking worst. Also LOL @ 188 luxury living units. Way to solve the affordability crisis, free market!

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    180 units for 18 floors isnt that bad. Looks to be about 1800 to 2000 sq ft a unit (estimated by larger footprint lower area at 2100) which is a bit large but not terrible. Its better than office space being in there though worse than cheap apartments.

wbBv3fj.png
    Hot damn I get to briefly meet the honorable congresswoman Dr. Schrier next week.

Oh hey, that building is right across the street from the 5th Avenue Theater.

I have to listen the construction noise every day I'm working there and it's honestly the fucking worst. Also LOL @ 188 luxury living units. Way to solve the affordability crisis, free market!

the very idea that the market would create affordable housing is asinine

Hot damn I get to briefly meet the honorable congresswoman Dr. Schrier next week.

Fuck yeah, I voted for her.

Sydney is a reporter for KUOW, and jenny durkan is our lousy mayor

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Y'all are welcome to move out here to Spokane if things are getting a little crazy out west!

It's not so bad! Sometimes the snow stops!

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Y'all are welcome to move out here to Spokane if things are getting a little crazy out west!

Personally, I'm eyeballing North-wards rather than heading East.

Bellingham or one of the surrounding towns is tempting me again (especially now that I have a Nexus Pass to hop over the border whenever I dang well want). Hell, I'd even settle for somewhere up in Skagit...like, say, Mount Vernon.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Shorty wrote: »

Sydney is a reporter for KUOW, and jenny durkan is our lousy mayor

Sydney has done excellent reporting for a few outlets here in Seattle, and if she says something or drops a big story, it's extremely worth paying attention to.

edited February 2019

ThatsBait.gif
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Bellingham or one of the surrounding towns is tempting me again (especially now that I have a Nexus Pass to hop over the border whenever I dang well want). Hell, I'd even settle for somewhere up in Skagit...like, say, Mount Vernon.

Ferndale just north of Bellingham is nice if you're looking for something a little more spread out. 20 minutes out of town.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

ThatsBait.gif
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Ferndale just north of Bellingham is nice if you're looking for something a little more spread out. 20 minutes out of town.

It's definitely nice! I spent about 7 years (4 years of undergrad and 3 years of putzing around after undergrad) in Bellingham and went looking around condo options in a wide area around Whatcom (mostly checked out Ferndale, Bellingham-proper, Fairhaven, and along good ol' Chuckanut Drive). Ferndale these days gets bonus points because, as you've pointed out, it's 20 minutes closer to the border.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Bham is solid if you have work, and the surrounding areas are very affordable. The beer is good, the people are nice and the area is beautiful.

edited February 2019
    Meeqe wrote: »
    Bham is solid if you have work, and the surrounding areas are very affordable. The beer is good, the people are nice and the area is beautiful.

Solid if you have work is the truth. Ferndale has been getting a lot of development so its not just some houses in the woods anymore.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.