As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    turtleant wrote: »
    There's some slow chunks in the ARR patch content but it never gets as bad as the Company of Heros or Garuda's Big Dumb Crystal Hunt again.

The main problem is that the 2.1-2.55 stuff is a lot to get through to get to Heavensward in one go. Would have been way less intimidating back when you had 3ish month breaks between chunks of it.

Just finished the Company of Heroes stuff, and yeah, that was a hell of a runaround. And then I got knocked off the platform in the Titan fight and got to watch my teammates do 80% of the battle without me.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That's pretty much most people's first experience with Titan. I think it's the first time a mechanic will outright kill you for messing it up? Also this particular one doesn't allow ressing (they later start making it so if you get knocked off a platform you can still be ressed).

I think even that Father of Light TV show on Netflix had a scene of getting knocked off the platform by Titan.

Lars on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Is the story for stormblood really
    another resistance against the garlean empire because that was boring enough the first time around.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Roegadyn
    SMN blew ass at the start of SB, but the changes they made in 4.1 or whatever mostly fixed it for me.

Losing bahamut is my only real complaint anymore.

Would like them to go ahead and split SMN and SCH and retheme a few of SMNs abilities (mainly just the DOTs, fester, and bane) but I doubt that'll ever happen.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Adus wrote: »
    another resistance against the garlean empire because that was boring enough the first time around.

nope!
    it's two resistances

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Ohm y god.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

nope!
    it's two resistances

Up-to-date story spoilers:
    So...about Shadowbringers.

It might be building to something cool this time though!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Roegadyn
    re the above
    in fairness I don't think familiar villains are really a knock against sb

technically we were still fighting the ascians in heavensward

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    re the above

Honestly, I'm hype, because it really feels like things are coming to a head.

Where as Stormblood was kind of..a stepping stone. Liberating Ala Mhigo is nice, Yanxia is nice, but it still feels like kind of chipping away rather than making a big stand.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Ilpala wrote: »
    re the above

Honestly, I'm hype, because it really feels like things are coming to a head.

Where as Stormblood was kind of..a stepping stone. Liberating Ala Mhigo is nice, Yanxia is nice, but it still feels like kind of chipping away rather than making a big stand.
    Heavensward felt more climactic there with ending the Dragonsong War I think. You get stepping stones of plot development but you end that conflict for good and see Ishgard into rebuilding and opening relations with Hraesvelgr's brood.

Stormblood everything feels more tenuous. There's less a sense of accomplishment.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Hyur

nope!
    it's two resistances

This truly is the darkest timeline

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    I suppose it's not surprising, but I'm sad they stopped naming the bad breath monsters malboros

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    malboros still exist, they just tend to name things of different levels different things.

also i am the king of deciding to take a nap after work any time it's a maintenance day therefore i wake up and have no time to play. i would have hit 70 today -_- i need to pay more attention.

Larlar
    oh ok good

I just did a quest to pick some tea leaves in the snow and one of the nodes spawned like 50 guys, all but 2 of which proceeded to run away? not sure if bug or intentional satire of extremely heavily reused "go up clicky thing with purple aura that will spawn a couple guys to fight when you interact with it" quest mechanic

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    I suppose it's not surprising, but I'm sad they stopped naming the bad breath monsters malboros

They still used that name as recently as FF15. Some games in the series have just called them Morbols instead for some reason.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Hyur
    that sounds pretty familiar but if i experienced it it was not recently enough to remember it in any detail

also i made it everyone, time to quit

gye6b7f2pubz.png

Lalafell
    Vernice

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elezen
    Bring
    Back
    Mad Oscar

Lalafell
    And his Sour Mouth attack.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    So, turns out that the Chinese exclusivity period on the Fatter Cat mount was nonexistent, as the flying feline is now on the MogStation. $24 dollars, account wide access.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Larlar
    I just unlocked binding coil of bahamut, should I bother doing it or just carry on with MSQ?

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    I just unlocked binding coil of bahamut, should I bother doing it or just carry on with MSQ?

MSQ. It's raid content, come back later and unsync it for the plot. Doing it can affect some cutscenes slightly due to being introduced to characters already, but thats about it.

Roegadyn
    Polaritie wrote: »

MSQ. It's raid content, come back later and unsync it for the plot. Doing it can affect some cutscenes slightly due to being introduced to characters already, but thats about it.

Specifically, the plot of 3.4 plays out differently depending on how far you get in it.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Fatter Cat not playing Pa Paya seems like a missed opportunity.

Roegadyn

msq, unless you have a crew of veteran players willing to run you through binding coil now

you can't get to it through roulettes at all so peeps only ever do with unsynced level 70s

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Hyur

Specifically, the plot of 3.4 plays out differently depending on how far you get in it.

How much is actually different? I remember people making a big deal out of it when 3.4 wasn't out yet and SE recommended that people finish that content, but is it any different from Estinien's dialogue alterations (2 or 3 lines difference if playing a dragoon and then everything else is the same afterwards)?

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    Roegadyn
    Fig-D wrote: »

How much is actually different? I remember people making a big deal out of it when 3.4 wasn't out yet and SE recommended that people finish that content, but is it any different from Estinien's dialogue alterations (2 or 3 lines difference if playing a dragoon and then everything else is the same afterwards)?
    Basically, it affects how Alisaie sees the WoL, and since she's sort of the major focus in 3.4, that affects the way the plot goes. The default has her friendly but distant, since you have no common ground with her. Completing T9 makes her be more open in her interactions with the WoL, and completing T13 has her treating the WoL as an old friend and with a bit of hero worship.

(I'm not sure about this, but this may also be checked for the RDM storyline as well.)

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    It makes contrails as you soar through the sky this mount rules

bFD8tRS.jpg

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    Hyur
    Ah, it's gas powered.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elezen
    I need it so bad

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

msq, unless you have a crew of veteran players willing to run you through binding coil now

you can't get to it through roulettes at all so peeps only ever do with unsynced level 70s

To elaborate, Binding Coil is a bit of an artifact, since in ARR they hadn't started doing Savage mode raids. So regular Binding Coil is a lot harder than the normal modes for everything else, hence why it won't show up in the raid roulette.

Now the 24 man ARR raid, the Crystal Tower stuff, is very easy now a days and you could go ahead and do that if you want. It starts in Mor Dona somewhere. And they made the attunement quest for it way less of a pain like 2 patches ago too!

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Hyur
    Finally took the time to do all my registration crap so this time I won't stop playing when the 30 day trial ends. Glad to see an option to buy all the collectors edition stuff from previous expansions there, since the collector's edition was $200 before it sold out, and I'm enough of an FF8 nerd that I'd be at least tempted to look at the ebay listings just to get that classic Revolver gunblade skin.

On the other hand... goddamn, all these DLC costumes are expensive. Stuff cycles through sales pretty frequently, yeah? How steep of a discount usually, and how often do they change up offerings?

Desert Leviathan on
  • WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Sales seem seasonal. You can also usually find stuff on Ebay cheaper. Folks buy it on sale or with beneficial conversion rates and sell the codes.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
    Elezen
    The collectors editions are overpriced, but you can get the digital deluxe expansions for $60

Which I always do because I'm a mark

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I just started playing this over the weekend (on PS4) and I'm not sure I fully grasp what I've gotten myself into here yet. It's a lot.

There's just...so much. And I suspect I still ain't seen the half of it.

Larlar
    is there a way to get the light weapon appearance you see in the crystal cutscenes where you're facing down redmask spookyman, at the start of the game and at the end of 2.0 MSQ?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    is there a way to get the light weapon appearance you see in the crystal cutscenes where you're facing down redmask spookyman, at the start of the game and at the end of 2.0 MSQ?

I don't remember what that specifically looks like, but the closest analogue i can think of to "light weapon" are the weapon appearances you can get out of Palace of the Dead

0SyGmPa.png

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.