As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He hungers for human flesh... A kitten thread

BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party?Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
My wife and I have bought a cat! His name is Hiro, and as is custom on this forum, here is his cute little mug.
lt2ubmej3et7.jpg

That was him about 4 weeks ago. He's a bit bigger now, but his attitude is monstrous from where he was back then.

Classic kitten, he's like a light switch. Either passed out in your lap, or he's trying to attack anything that moves. Recently though, he's gotten a lot more aggressive, and is starting to bite REALLY hard when we pet him. We don't play with our hands, opting for string toys and other options, but he obviously prefers human flesh. This is my first cat, and my wife's first cat that she's actually attempted to raise / train as a pet (her parents handled their last pet). Does anyone have any tips for training out the hand biting? I don't know how to positively reinforce NOT biting my hands.

Directions to blogs, books and articles, as well as anecdotal stories and exorcisms are welcome.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
BouwsT on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The Humane Society has a good write-up on this exact thing:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/kitten_play.html

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    If he bites while playing say ouch really loud and then simply ignore him for 15 minutes or so. Biting=End of Playtime

Biting while petting might NOT be a play response. Many cats have a threshold for continuous petting. Try to learn to pick up his signals like ear twitching and other signs of agitation and stop petting before he bites. Continuous grooming is more of a primate thing and some cats just view it as sexual harassment. Really, they find it arousing and bite because they get too excited and don't know what to do. Either way, when/if it happens say ouch, put him on the floor and ignore him

Siska on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Siska wrote: »
    If he bites while playing say ouch really loud and then simply ignore him for 15 minutes or so. Biting=End of Playtime

Biting while petting might NOT be a play response. Many cats have a threshold for continuous petting. Try to learn to pick up his signals like ear twitching and other signs of agitation and stop petting before he bites. Continuous grooming is more of a primate thing and some cats just view it as sexual harassment. Really, they find it arousing and bite because they get too excited and don't know what to do. Either way, when/if it happens say ouch, put him on the floor and ignore him

This is something I had never considered. We certainly don't pet him constantly, however it's really good to know that it isn't always a positive thing for the cat. I just figured that he was just playful and knew we were in the mood for physical play.

We've definitely been doing the "ouch" thing, we'll keep it up I guess.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The Humane Society has a good write-up on this exact thing:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/kitten_play.html

I did find this super interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there's basically three currencies in the housecat world: food, heat and attention. Assuming he's not literally trying to consume you for sustenance, just withhold the latter two when he gets bitey (push him off your lap, stop petting/paying attention to him, etc.) and he should pick it up before long.

another good thing to do is let your hand/arm/whatever go limp when he bites, rather than pull away immediately. Pulling away quickly is what prey does, and activates all their pounce/chase/tear instincts, but if you just go limp they'll usually stop biting or w/e. Plus cats aren't really strong enough to hurt you unless you're cooperating by giving their claws and teeth something to pull against

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    there's basically three currencies in the housecat world: food, heat and attention. Assuming he's not literally trying to consume you for sustenance, just withhold the latter two when he gets bitey (push him off your lap, stop petting/paying attention to him, etc.) and he should pick it up before long.

another good thing to do is let your hand/arm/whatever go limp when he bites, rather than pull away immediately. Pulling away quickly is what prey does, and activates all their pounce/chase/tear instincts, but if you just go limp they'll usually stop biting or w/e. Plus cats aren't really strong enough to hurt you unless you're cooperating by giving their claws and teeth something to pull against

I've done the going limp thing, he just continues to gnaw without provocation. It's not even a moving body part he'll go after, he'll chomp on my bicep if I'm wearing a t-shirt, and this weekend I almost lost a nipple!

I'm working on removing him from whatever room we're in when he gets bitey, trying to let him cool off. I'm going to give it a week and see how he makes out. Thanks for the advice so far, everyone.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Kitten do actually lose baby teeth and need to chew on things for a bit when they're that age. You don't tend to notice because the fresh teeth are nearly fully formed when the baby teeth drop out.

As long as you don't encourage the behavior you're doing it right. He should stop, but if he's teething you can try getting him some stiff fiber toys. They make little mice out of hemp, come in a 3 pack. They're small enough he can get his jaw open and bite on them.

To be fair, some cats are just assholes. I have two and one is nice and one is an asshole. For no reason. However, he's an asshole that doesn't bite.

Edit: Play with his feet a lot. Get him used to you putting him on his back and touching his paws. In a few months start nipping the very tips off his nails.

You'll be glad when he's older that he doesn't flip his shit when you touch his feet.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Kitten do actually lose baby teeth and need to chew on things for a bit when they're that age. You don't tend to notice because the fresh teeth are nearly fully formed when the baby teeth drop out.

As long as you don't encourage the behavior you're doing it right. He should stop, but if he's teething you can try getting him some stiff fiber toys. They make little mice out of hemp, come in a 3 pack. They're small enough he can get his jaw open and bite on them.

To be fair, some cats are just assholes. I have two and one is nice and one is an asshole. For no reason. However, he's an asshole that doesn't bite.

That's a good point, I hadn't really considered teething. I'll see what I can grab him, but he has a pet mouse-on-a-string he likes chewing on, maybe some more similar toys to this would be good for him. Also, he might be an asshole, but he's SO SWEET when he's tired.
    Edit: Play with his feet a lot. Get him used to you putting him on his back and touching his paws. In a few months start nipping the very tips off his nails.

You'll be glad when he's older that he doesn't flip his shit when you touch his feet.

Oh ya! The vet brought this up but we haven't been doing this because of the biting thing... I'll maybe have to start working on this again, maybe next week.

• Options
    Yo HA, my cat grew up and he's still an asshole, but that's okay because we love him! I was looking at some of my old threads and saw this and got a little nostalgic, and with Mod blessing I'm necro'ing this thread to bless you with cat pics.

Hiro is probably the most aloof cat I've ever met, while not being actively MEAN. He basically never growls or swipes, and his bites are consistent but more like, "I could break skin if I wanted to, human" levels of pressure. He's silly, but he's quiet, and he sleeps on the pillow between my wife and I almost every night, never wakes up in the night, and he's just a really good cat? I wish he would sit with me on the couch while I game, but it's just not his thing, and I can respect that. He's also super smart, and I've trained him to do simple commands/tricks for treats (loves cheese).

p2a0wgiz5nx2.jpg
    dt4fvn6ye9cy.jpg
    ecxiso9qlvti.jpg
    6jmhazcwop8m.jpg

About 2 years ago, we also rescued him a brother, Channing! We were hoping that they would become best friends, but it just is not happening.

awpd836d0cug.jpg

The best I can describe is a tense co-existence. Hiro is learning to stand up for himself, and I think Channing is learning that Hiro DOES NOT do play-time (which is a shame). He's a dork cat, who wakes me up at 3AM for no reason at all, he gets "the zoomies" about 12x more than Hiro does. He also doesn't want love UNLESS I'm gaming, but if I'm on the computer, it's lap or desk. No breaks, no rest. He's not blessed with intellect like Hiro is, and would rather lick an ice cube than a cat treat. So that's cheap and convenient I guess. He's awesome for all sorts of different reasons than Hiro, so I guess that's good?

lrmu3w60cnqg.jpg
    bciw04ilxarb.jpg

Anyway, thanks for helping me all those years ago with my pet. Sometimes the thing that needs to change is you, and not the animal. I appreciate all the advice, and help finding resources. I think it's made me a better pet owner.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    It sounds like Hiro is seeing Channing as a threat to his territory- it's something you're just going to have to let them sort out.

If they're both neutered, that might help cut down on them trying to dominate territory (and would help to keep them from spraying on everything to mark territory and such).

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My cats are just like that, they always have been. It's who they are. Except the younger one (she's 9 now jeez) is the really smart (but also playful) one and the older one is... not so much either of those things. They're good kitties.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    It sounds like Hiro is seeing Channing as a threat to his territory- it's something you're just going to have to let them sort out.

If they're both neutered, that might help cut down on them trying to dominate territory (and would help to keep them from spraying on everything to mark territory and such).

Ya, it's been like two years. I figure it is what it is. They're both definitely neutered and they don't mark territory at all, thankfully.

Channing (AKA: Jackie-Chan, Chubs, or Chan-Man) loves to lay on his side and sink his claws into the carpet staircase, and Hiro (AKA: Heero Yuy, Bubs, or Mr. Bitey of Hearthstone Fame) loves to scratch the carpet SPECIFICALLY at the foot of the closet where we keep the food, when he's hungry. That's the extent of their destruction, other than, you know, this classic misjudged leap to a railing or window sill, or launching off the arm of our leather sofa (claws is for traction, yes?).

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    They might still be best friends, just secretly, because apparently that's how cats do friendship. My cousin's cats were like that, they never played together, never shared any affection, and generally didn't even acknowledge each other's existence. But after one of them got sick and died, the surviving cat was really depressed for a long time, to the point that they had to take him to the vet because he was barely eating. He kind of recovered after some months, but didn't really return to his former glory until they got a dog to keep him company.

(Alternatively, he just really wanted to have a minion, not a friend, given that he was the dominant cat of the two, and now he dominates the dog.)

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Edit: Oh geez, necro thread. Cute cat pictures, thanks for the update! All the kitties all the time, pls.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    They might still be best friends, just secretly, because apparently that's how cats do friendship. My cousin's cats were like that, they never played together, never shared any affection, and generally didn't even acknowledge each other's existence. But after one of them got sick and died, the surviving cat was really depressed for a long time, to the point that they had to take him to the vet because he was barely eating. He kind of recovered after some months, but didn't really return to his former glory until they got a dog to keep him company.

(Alternatively, he just really wanted to have a minion, not a friend, given that he was the dominant cat of the two, and now he dominates the dog.)

My cats hate each other if we're watching. We find them grooming one another and eating from the same bowl if we sneak up on them. I have lots of pictures of them cuddling on the bed only for them to scramble when they realize I'm watching.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mine too.. I won't say they're cuddly, but they do seem to want the company from the other more than they would ever show with people looking.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

My cats hate each other if we're watching. We find them grooming one another and eating from the same bowl if we sneak up on them. I have lots of pictures of them cuddling on the bed only for them to scramble when they realize I'm watching.

... I may have just found an excuse to get indoor cameras. Maybe my cats do love each-other and I didn't even know it! I sincerely doubt it, but I JUST WANT TO BELIEVE.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Our cat tolerates other cats sometimes when they come to visit, but she attacks them if my sister bows down to pet them

So it seems cats do sometimes compete for human attention

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Our cat tolerates other cats sometimes when they come to visit, but she attacks them if my sister bows down to pet them

So it seems cats do sometimes compete for human attention

They 100% do. One of my cats is a big lazy lump that doesn't do much during the day, but once I get to bed it's his time for attention. If the other cat gets on the bed too that's fine, but I better not pay attention to him too or I'm gonna get 16 pounds of jealous cat in my face.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Mine too.. I won't say they're cuddly, but they do seem to want the company from the other more than they would ever show with people looking.

Yeah this is the same with our cats.

During the day they keep their distance to the point of flinching at each other if they happen to get to close but if you go out in the living room in the middle of the night they will be literally spooning and if they wake up because you came out into the living room in the middle of the night they will stare wide-eyed like they just got caught robbing a cookie jar.