As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    MELEE IS DEAD MELEE IS DEAD

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Evo finishes 2 days early

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i don't like bbtag over xrd but i understand it

grim reapah

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

Thank god

The scene needed to move on

• Options
    it's actually kinda surprising that samurai shodown will be there we haven't heard anything about that game since it was announced

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    it's actually kinda surprising that samurai shodown will be there we haven't heard anything about that game since it was announced
    SNK blowing their advertising budget

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am so goddamn happy for UNIST.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    i am pleased because this means it will finally go on sale

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Wow that lineup is really exciting. First time in a several years that I'll most likely be watching more games than I won't be watching again. Feels really nice!

I echo P10's sentiment about XRD, but man things turned out about as good as I could've expected

Interesting that we're back to 9 games. I guess the combination of no melee + entrance numbers going down made them feel it was viable

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    On the other hand, people won't get their 12 hour lunch break during Melee this year,

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    no dead or alive though, and it seems to be received pretty well over the demo weekend. not sure if i should bother getting doa6 now though. it wont have any of the hype from an evo announcement to help fuel people getting the game.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    God, that Evo lineup. I was ecstatic as soon as BBtag was confirmed, but UNIST is truly a gift. Samsho is really cool, too. Fantastic list.

I'm planning to go again this year too. I guess I need to relearn how to play Under Night.

• Options
    You should. UNIST is great.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm happy for the Evo staff that don't have to deal with CRTs any more

The last two Evos have been kinda eh to be honest [edit: FOR MELEE, just to be clear!], even if Leffen won the last one, and Hbox can always win all the other summer tournaments ofc

I'm still weirded out at how fucking ecstatic people are that Melee won't be at Evo, as a Smash apologist

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its a toxic community that was starting to effect the other tourneys, it had to go

It is also incredible stale

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    As a Smash player who played a lot of Melee back in the day (and even at Evo), I definitely think it was time for Melee to go from Evo. That being said, while this is definitely a big blow to that community, I wouldn't go pronouncing Melee dead or anything. They're still going to have tons of big tournaments.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    This is about the best lineup I coulda hoped for, outside of some unreasonable asks like kof14 instead of bbtag.

Melee crowd bitches when they're not at evo but they also bitch when they are at evo so fuck 'em. Maybe I'll rally a couple thousand people to scream like children on twitter about how unfair it is that tekken 7 isn't at genesis or shine or whatever.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh DBFZ got wished back to life?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think the DBZ scare was only like for a week and there haven’t been any drops since

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I didn't mind Melee as much as some folks but god am I happy I'll never have to see that terrible resolution again.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Melee's scene shows up no matter how old or stale other people think the game is, which is something that I will always respect. Unlike other old games like ST or 3S or MvC2 which old farts like me wish still had big tournaments in North America, Melee's scene isn't just some old fart's wishful thinking but a real live scene. And as much as 3S has been emulated on LCDs, the response on CRTs just makes it so much better... and the Melee people actually haul CRTs to their events because they refuse to accept LCDs, too! They make the old school dream real, rather than just yelling at clouds! Respect.

... but I extremely don't enjoy watching Melee, and I am very much happy to see UNIST, bbtag, SamSho (even though I know nothing of how good it really is...) on the big stage!

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    im cool with that lineup

I'm pretty much only playing smash ultimate right now and I'm confused about no xrd but samsho is awesome

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ph blake wrote: »
    Holy shit Evo lineup is kinda godlike?

Tekken 7
    Street Fighter 5
    BBtag
    DBFZ
    Smash Ultimate
    Soul Calibur 6
    MK11
    Samurai Showdown (!!!!)
    UNIST

Fuck off melee, you got dropped for UNIST.
    excuse me it's samurai SHOdown

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Holy shit Evo lineup is kinda godlike?

Tekken 7
    Street Fighter 5
    BBtag
    DBFZ
    Smash Ultimate
    Soul Calibur 6
    MK11
    Samurai Showdown (!!!!)
    UNIST

Fuck off melee, you got dropped for UNIST.
    excuse me it's samurai SHOdown

I'm mad that you're right

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As far as the lineup goes...can't say I really have any complaints about it.

I just hope the BBTag balance changes means the end of Gordeau spin to win meta.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I just hope the BBTag balance changes means the end of Gordeau spin to win meta.

It's been a long time since I've seen a character hammered into the ground with nerfs as hard as Gordeau was in BBTag. My goodness, they hit his assist, they hit his grim reaper, they hit his neutral B, they hit universal systems which also hit how effective he was, I'm surprised they didn't just delete him from the game!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    l_g wrote: »

It's been a long time since I've seen a character hammered into the ground with nerfs as hard as Gordeau was in BBTag. My goodness, they hit his assist, they hit his grim reaper, they hit his neutral B, they hit universal systems which also hit how effective he was, I'm surprised they didn't just delete him from the game!

Speaking of universal systems, Persona characters got super buffed.

I'm expecting so many Yus.

• Options

bullshit where's galactic wrestling feat. ultimate muscle

jk I'd be tempted to come out just to enter saturday night slam masters and SF the movie the game

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I like silver fox Cage. So many great things, but I think the mime in a glass box counter is my fave

https://youtu.be/mv6Dskj2VC0

Prohass on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I still hate the way those games animate but I absolutely love the old cage model "stunt double" running out from the side to grab your opponent.

Viskod on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not much for the general style of MK, but man do I have to tip my hat to them having a lot of fun putting together his move set. I quite enjoyed when he throws the sunglasses and just whips out another pair. <3

• Options
    Baraka's fireball is a high now lol.

• Options
    cage is an old favorite of mine so I'm glad he's back barring no wacky guest characters for me to play

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I still hate the way those games animate but I absolutely love the old cage model "stunt double" running out from the side to grab your opponent.

I think the animations are (so far) vastly improved.

It's still not my favorite, but I'm excited to see where it goes.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

jk I'd be tempted to come out just to enter saturday night slam masters and SF the movie the game

I should try to track down a copy of Masters of Tera Kasi.

Then train so that I might be its master.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

I should try to track down a copy of Masters of Tera Kasi.

Then train so that I might be its master.

This is just GB Ranking of Fighters, isn't it?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

11 looks so much better than even the Injustice 2 in terms of its animation, I am legitimately impressed. Johnny looks laid back and cocky when he throws his fireballs, the glasses toss looks amazing, the moves are a lot bigger and it's easier to tell the attacks apart. They still don't flow as well as they could, and I have no idea what Johnny is actually supposed to be doing when he does that weird counter and punches Baraka through the face, but it's leagues ahead of previous games. (Judging from recent trailers, at least. I haven't played it yet).

Also, one thing I need to give NRS credit for is the sheer volume of great pre-fight banter. There's just so damn much of it and it all feels customized. Good stuff.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I have no idea what Johnny is actually supposed to be doing when he does that weird counter and punches Baraka through the face,

Its a reference to an in-universe Cage film, Ninja Mime. He's a mime in a box.

• Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »

fucking good. gordeau was cancerous and hurt the scene. should have done this right after evo 2018.

I am in for SC6 will see how the bttag patch comes but expecting to enter that as well. will see if i have time for a third

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Holy cow that Johnny Cage fatality

This discussion has been closed.