As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Improper Wireshark use has restarted the editor wars.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    React like what? Worried that you've got several fire hazards and the place could burn down killing you or people that work there?

The worst part is they took down the smoke detectors on top of it. Who knows what else is broken or not functional. Maybe the sprinklers don't work. Maybe the emergency exits are blocked. Stuff you might not be privy to directly.

It's your prerogative to not share details I suppose, but I'm going to throw a lot of side eye at people that see a dangerous situation and ignore it out of misplaced fear of losing their job or that it's not their place (it anonymous my dude). This is why people die and get maimed because people ignore shit and think "it's not my job or business to deal with this, it's my manager's job to not be a shithead" but we know how hard it is for them to not continuously be shitheads.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    "you people"?

The kind that know that preventable accidents kill people because no one is willing to say anything about them?

Which is exactly why OSHA exists.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Smoke detectors are the easiest thing in the world to fix! If they’re not doing that, literally everything else is suspect!

There’s the famous story about how finicky rock bands’ riders are, particularly Van Halen’s dislike of brown M&Ms. The entire point of that line on their rider was because of attention to detail. If the venue wouldn’t pay enough attention to a detail that basic, how could Van Halen’s crew be sure that they provided the right technology, power, safety, etc. to ensure that the show could be put on to the appropriate standards? They knew that if there were brown M&Ms, they would have to double check every single thing on the spec sheet, and sometimes even need to cancel the concert if it was super bad.

Look, we’re not telling you what to do; it’s your life. I’m not saying you need to take confined space entry training, or to use an air monitoring system. But what I am saying is that you don’t always need to be the champion for a corporation if they won’t champion your ability to continue a healthy life. Like, I get it, nobody wants to be a stick in the mud. Hell, I’ve done things here less safely than I should have, especially when my boss is not around. But you better believe I’m going to tell a coworker they probably should use a ladder/step stool instead of a chair to get something off of a shelf.

RandomHajile on
    Combustion via LP or NG also produces CO which is required to be vented (at least in my state). It's not a high risk but it's not a nothing risk either. So I'm skeptical on that being legit that they can have unvented furnaces/heaters.

Long term exposures to low levels of CO can cause anoxic brain injuries (cerebral hypoxia) and lead to things like early Alzheimer like conditions. High and moderate exposures are more "fall asleep and deathy" though, which is what people are more familiar with.

CO usually pools at the lowest points, so if it's in a basement it's not quite as bad though. Dangerous for anyone going into those areas if they're not well ventilated and aware of what's happening. First warning signs of CO being a problem are random memory loss and extreme tiredness. Some dude on reddit thought he was going crazy because he kept writing post it notes and getting increasingly more agitated in them. Turns out he had a very low level of CO poisoning.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Where I live, if you encounter a situation that is unsafe, and continue to work in the situation and do not report it to our equivalent to OSHA, you can actually be held partially liable if something happens.

safety is not to be fucked with.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    My state it depends on if you have a duty to report.

Low level employees who might not know don't, but if you've ever signed any OSHA paperwork or gone through some training courses about safety you probably do.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I reported it to their management. I don't think I have anything more to say on the matter.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I have a failed laptop docking station

Dell: The docking station is only covered by a 1-year warranty, which is expired. You need to call out-of-warranty support.

Me: *looking at the order where we purchased the laptop and docking station together with a 3-year warranty* Can you confirm the order number where you're seeing the S/N of that docking station? Is it not the same as that of the laptop that is still under warranty?

Dell: You mean the express service code? You need to call out-of-warranty support.

Me: I have an order confirmation showing that we ordered these products together, covered by the same warranty.

Dell: Can I have the order number?

I'm currently on hold. Fucking ughhhhh

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I should have known you people would react like this. I shouldn't have brought it up. I'm not fucking calling OSHA.

If you think we're overreacting I'm guessing you see this a lot?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I have a failed laptop docking station

Dell: The docking station is only covered by a 1-year warranty, which is expired. You need to call out-of-warranty support.

Me: *looking at the order where we purchased the laptop and docking station together with a 3-year warranty* Can you confirm the order number where you're seeing the S/N of that docking station? Is it not the same as that of the laptop that is still under warranty?

Dell: You mean the express service code? You need to call out-of-warranty support.

Me: I have an order confirmation showing that we ordered these products together, covered by the same warranty.

Dell: Can I have the order number?

I'm currently on hold. Fucking ughhhhh

Wow, he actually closed the chat on me.

Thawmus wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I should have known you people would react like this. I shouldn't have brought it up. I'm not fucking calling OSHA.

If you think we're overreacting I'm guessing you see this a lot?

It's a common tactic upper management use to make people think it's no big deal.

Someone will complain about something that's wildly unsafe, they'll talk openly about someone being a thorn in their side and reporting something that wasn't a big deal and it's hurting the bottom line for things like bonuses and all that (they wouldn't give that money into a bonus anyways). It's the same thing they do with unions. They talk about how union workers are so hard to get rid of and they serve no useful purpose.

Except if you do shit right and document and follow the rules it's no more difficult than firing anyone else. You just can't do it because they're wearing purple or their feet smell, you actually have to like, do your job.

Someone will die or get seriously hurt one day, lots of shit will go down, everyone will be like "*gasp* we had no idea!" and everyone can pat themselves on the back for saving a few hundred or thousand dollars in replacing smoke detectors and fixing not up to spec stuff. It's not even hyper expensive to be safe, it's just annoying to deal with because you actually have to read manuals and such. Hopefully this doesn't blow back onto that_guy. He's likely covered his ass by reporting it at this point, so that's good. I, personally, don't think he's done enough because he's basically telling someone that's already decided that not replacing a smoke detector is a good idea, but that's between him and them at this point.

But I'm also someone who reported UPS to OSHA because they were doing unsafe shit and my union didn't want to deal with it either, so, I have absolutely no fears about being homeless or hungry tomorrow either and I understand someone who is hesitant to put their neck out and whistleblow, I've seen what happens (and have personally dealt with retribution too).

yea in a prior life I literally dealt with 150lbs bottles of compressed chlorine gas that were as tall as I was, and a caustic soda solution with a pH of 13.5 on a regular basis. Oh and at one point we had to switch a thing we were using as a filter medium because the original one was discovered to be a carcinogen. And those are just some of the more fun ones.

I have a very low tolerance for looking the other way on safety stuff.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    We screen our contactors for safety, and every single person who comes on site has to go through a safety orientation process, even if they’re the Cintas trainee who will only be here for 5 minutes one time ever. The Cintas supervisor was like, “come on, bro” and our services people told him either he has to go through it or sit in the truck. The orientation goes over fire exits, parking lot traffic direction, and other hazards. It generally only takes five to ten minutes here at the central office, but it could literally save someone’s life.

Additionally, our bonuses are roughly 1/3 based on our safety record, and that includes our contrators’ safety records. There’s no getting away with “let’s do this job less safely so we can save money.” Anyone on a job can stop a job if they feel it is unsafe. Period. It took a long time to get here, and it isn’t easy, but again, it is a matter of life and death.

I know it’s corny (I certainly rolled my eyes about this in my college OSHA class), but people should really read about the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. It is basically the reason we have OSHA, and it has implications for labor organization as bowen is talking about.

edited February 2019
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea in a prior life I literally dealt with 150lbs bottles of compressed chlorine gas that were as tall as I was, and a caustic soda solution with a pH of 13.5 on a regular basis. Oh and at one point we had to switch a thing we were using as a filter medium because the original one was discovered to be a carcinogen. And those are just some of the more fun ones.

a lot of people don't respect that a high ph is just as dangerous as a low ph too

they're essentially measuring equivalent things in different directions!

bowen on
    bowen wrote: »

a lot of people don't respect that a high ph is just as dangerous as a low ph too

they're essentially measuring equivalent things in different directions!

yeah pH is a weird scale that for some reason people have a hard time with. it goes 0-14, but 7 is neutral and the further away from 7 you get the more "this will melt your skin" the substance gets.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Early in my career, I worked for a series of shitty cheapass IT contracting firms who were so greedy/desperate that they would never turn down a job.

One week, I'd be installing security cameras and running coax. Another week, I'd be pulling network cable through a crawlspace.

I finished a lot of jobs through nothing but willpower and moxy.

But here's the rub: these kinds of heroic efforts should never be necessary in IT. I only ended up in that position because I was young, I didn't know my own value, and I was working for low wages in companies who were bottom feeding from the worst clientele.

And when you perform heroic efforts beyond your usual duties, you're more likely to make mistakes or not follow best practices. When I was running cable, nobody taught me the difference between plenum and non-plenum cable; we just used whatever was cheap. Nobody taught me how or where to use fire foam. So stupid junior technician Feral probably created some fire hazards without knowing any better.

So my initial reaction to That_Guy's post wasn't exactly "holy shit call OSHA," but more "that sounds like a really bad idea"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Anyone know offhand if Microsoft's SPLA licensing is the only option for MSPs with a data center? I'm reading some things that suggest SHA licensing could be a much cheaper option but it's all just so goddamn purposefully opaque

Feral wrote: »
    Early in my career, I worked for a series of shitty cheapass IT contracting firms who were so greedy/desperate that they would never turn down a job.

One week, I'd be installing security cameras and running coax. Another week, I'd be pulling network cable through a crawlspace.

But here's the rub: these kinds of heroic efforts should never be necessary in IT. I only ended up in that position because I was young, I didn't know my own value, and I was working for low wages in companies who were bottom feeding from the worst clientele.

And when you perform heroic efforts beyond your usual duties, you're more likely to make mistakes or not follow best practices. When I was running cable, nobody taught me the difference between plenum and non-plenum cable; we just used whatever was cheap. Nobody taught me how or where to use fire foam. So stupid junior technician Feral probably created some fire hazards without knowing any better.

So my initial reaction to That_Guy's post wasn't exactly "holy shit call OSHA," but more "that sounds like a really bad idea"

Yeah I had similar jobs but I am the kind of asshole that goes home at night and reads laws and regulations and turns people in because I am just the worst sometimes.

I have absolutely faced blowback. I maybe deserved it. But also maybe do like the barest minimum by law to make sure people don't fucking die of cancer when cat5e goes up in flames and dumps toxic fumes into a building because you were too cheap to buy the plenum version as my boss.

That shorted wire with a staple through it is going to burn that place down eventually.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

From the outside looking in it felt like people were looking out for him and he just threw it back in their faces. Like, OSHA is there to protect the worker, too. There's every indication that if he got injured while doing that job he would've been fucked because "independent contractor we aren't your real employer it's not a real job site you have to sue us first lol".

/shrug

There's a big difference between being a hardass about the rules and quoting the regulation book at people and not going out in the middle of a storm to an unsafe work environment and potentially getting maimed while getting screwed out of the insurance just so the student computer lab has internet access to play Apex Legends.

It’s just that American corporate culture kinda sucks, and encourages people to sacrifice their wellbeing, mental health, time, family, whatever for a company that barely knows they exist. Like I said, whether it’s for the right reasons or for the CYA legal reasons, I’m glad I have a company that cares at least a bit about safety.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I'm also fortunate to work for a company that takes safety issues seriously. Necessarily, as most of our workforce falls into I believe 15 of the top 25 most dangerous jobs for death and injury. On the rare occasions I've spotted a safety issue when I was on-site, the location manager welcomed the report because it meant they could get it corrected before they got written up for it on their next safety audit which affects their pay.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    In about a week my company's going to force me to use a bathroom in a construction zone (just me. Long ass story.). I have no love for companies right now.

They rarely if ever have your best interest in mind.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Me: I can't control everything. I have to let some projects go.

Me: *lets a project for a new helpdesk ticketing system go*

Coworker: *spends thousands of dollars on a new helpdesk ticketing system where you can't use 'open in new tab' or 'open in new window' because nothing is an HTML anchor tag, literally all the basic navigation is done with JavaScript mouseclick events, and big parts of the UI don't work in Chrome*

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well got a real blast in the ass today. Was turned down for a level 1 help desk position at work because they said I didn't have enough computer experience. So now I'm signing up to get my A+, which I know isn't that hard, but does anyone have any study tips? I know I need to strengthen my networking knowledge but my hardware know how is pretty good

Entaru wrote: »
    In about a week my company's going to force me to use a bathroom in a construction zone (just me. Long ass story.). I have no love for companies right now.

They rarely if ever have your best interest in mind.
    I'm drawing what I feel are obvious conclusions based on stuff you've talked about recently, and yeah, I'm hoping you land something else soon, that's garbage.

Bucketman wrote: »
    Well got a real blast in the ass today. Was turned down for a level 1 help desk position at work because they said I didn't have enough computer experience. So now I'm signing up to get my A+, which I know isn't that hard, but does anyone have any study tips? I know I need to strengthen my networking knowledge but my hardware know how is pretty good

Study in 20-minute chunks and immediately take a practice test or copy down key ideas at the end of each 20-minute chunk

Do lots of practice exams

Me: I can't control everything. I have to let some projects go.

Me: *lets a project for a new helpdesk ticketing system go*

Coworker: *spends thousands of dollars on a new helpdesk ticketing system where you can't use 'open in new tab' or 'open in new window' because nothing is an HTML anchor tag, literally all the basic navigation is done with JavaScript mouseclick events, and big parts of the UI don't work in Chrome*

This is why I get really angry about people who love web 2.0 based JS "apps". They never work right and are a fucking chore to work into my workflow because all the JS fucks with shit.

No, Vendor, I will not accept macro-enabled word documents from you. I don't give a fuck who you are or how long you've been doing it.

Thawmus wrote: »
    No, Vendor, I will not accept macro-enabled word documents from you. I don't give a fuck who you are or how long you've been doing it.
    Ugh, we had a consultant that created an Excel Workbook with Macros to calculate Vendor Timesheets and that kind of crap. I did not know this until I blocked macro-enabled docs at the spam filter!

I had to allow them again because I sure as hell am not going to replace that entire process for them.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Macro enabled documents sent over our email fall into a black hole and never escape, as the lord commanded in the Book of Exchange.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Does the free version of ESXi allow for high availability?

I watched professor messer on you tube at 2X speed as a starter for my security+ .

After that go here
    https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-a-220-901-exam-objectives.pdf
    https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-a-220-902-exam-objectives.pdf

Go through the lists and look up everything you're not strong in.

Sounds like you could do it in the other order though.

BSoB on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Also, I am back to work. The very first thing I did while back was an interview with my boss
    for a promotion.

BSoB wrote: »
    Does the free version of ESXi allow for high availability?
    No, you need to have vCenter, which means you have to license the whole environment. You could probably fake it by shutting down VMs and then manually moving the vmx and vmdk files around through some underhanded backchannel....but I wouldn’t recommend it.

LD50 wrote: »
    Macro enabled documents sent over our email fall into a black hole and never escape, as the lord commanded in the Book of Exchange.
    We had an IT staff day today and I brought it up again and my boss is going to force the issue again with the offending departments now that we have some teeth in the cybersecurity arena.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I used to work for a boutique consulting firm whose entire line of data reports was based on Excel macros. They were these amazing Rube Goldberg constructs that took sheets full of data and turned them into sheets full of (for the time, good-looking) charts. Charts that included images-as-buttons for a UI that made it appear as though clicking them would take you to a new "page" of pretty chart data.

Honestly, it was impressive. And mind-numbingly painful to develop and support. But it was good enough to basically build an entire business from scratch, and eventually have that business get bought out for millions and millions of dollars by a larger firm.

I loved explaining to client IT departments that they had to let these crazy-ass Excel files run macros on their employees' machines because otherwise they wouldn't get their precious report data. I also loved explaining why we needed to send literally hundreds of those zipped 5 MB Excel files full of macros to their employees via email so please don't blacklist us. (Yes, we mostly used email and thumb drives to deliver the reports. Any attempts to use something like FTP were basically met with confused silence.)

But yeah, once the new corporate overlords saw how much manual work and effort was involved in supporting those things, they immediately kicked off a new project to put everything on "the web". Now that that's been done, they are trying to put everything on "the cloud". I am convinced at some point we could make up a new thing called "the tesseract" and as long as we present it as the new hot thing in tech they would want to put it there, too.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    One of our clients lost DHCP for their phones last night.

Our domain controller never did DHCP for their voice vlan.
    The site's router never did DHCP for their voice vlan.
    The company's firewall never did DHCP for their voice vlan.

The phone vendor replaced the phone server with a new one. The DHCP problem started the next morning. The vendor assures me that the phone server was not doing DHCP.

Go get fucked, phone vendor.

Cog wrote: »

The phone vendor replaced the phone server with a new one. The DHCP problem started the next morning. The vendor assures me that the phone server was not doing DHCP.

time to get out the clothes pins.

Any Microsoft certs whatsoever - especially workstation or server - will generally land you at least a help desk job.

We just turned up a DHCP scope for that vlan on the DC, it wasn't a big deal, but still...

How bad do you have to be gaslighting yourself to be convinced that the DHCP issue that arose the day after you replaced a phone server was not in any way caused by said phone server?

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

We just turned up a DHCP scope for that vlan on the DC, it wasn't a big deal, but still...

How bad do you have to be gaslighting yourself to be convinced that the DHCP issue that arose the day after you replaced a phone server was not in any way caused by said phone server?

Well, in a sane world the phone system shouldn't be issuing DHCP leases.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
This discussion has been closed.