As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I know of four unsanctioned sources, in descending order of dubiousness:
    Insane Kangaroo (via eBay, models based on MWO art but frequently upgraded or tweaked. The only metal miniatures I'm aware of.)
    Steel Warrior Studios (these are actually fully custom-sculpted resin figures based on original art, but the official inspirations for that art are obvious to the point of blatant)
    Warhansa or Warminis.tk (resin figures, straight-ripped from the MWO art)

I know of a fifth source of MWO-art based models, over at the Lords Of The Battlefield forums. But that's not really a retail situation like the ones above, so I question whether it's worth jumping through the hoops. The guy doing the 3d work is doing a good job, I'll say that much.

Also, and I just want to put this out there because I feel its important: if you want to support the game, buy product from sanctioned sources. In the case of the Orion, since you don't like the original sculpts, maybe consider the new ON1-H sculpt if you hadn't seen it? It, and many other sculpts coming out, are being based on "Primitive" in-fiction models that have real-world modern art, and are really fantastic.
    BT-407.jpg

As for scale: yeah, everyone's working at the 1:300/1:285 scale of the tabletop models. You usually won't run across something else unless you're specifically looking for it (e.g. N-scale figs like the ClickyTech stuff, or 28mm stuff like the old Armorcast kits).

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Thanks, that Orion does look pretty good. Basically some guys at the local club are murmuring about playing some Battletech so I'm eyeing the new starter box, and while those eight minis look great, but I'd like to fill out a lance or two with the other mechs I love and found some of the official models lacking.

I'd love to support the official license holders and will try to search through their selections first, but man IMO those third party guys are just doing a much better job on most of the sculpts.

If I can just put together my favorite lance compositions from the recent Harebrained Schemes Battletech game for a decent price I'll be happy.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Oooh, the Seattle Card Kingdom (Ballard) actually got some Armored Combat box sets in meaning I now have two copies sitting on my shelf to go with my two copies of the beginner box.
    When I get back from work can organize a mini-painting party with a friendo :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited February 2019
    PSA: Death From Above is BACK and is on Saturdays @ 1pm Pacific via ZOE's Twitch channel.

https://www.twitch.tv/zombieorpheus/videos

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    PSA: Death From Above is BACK and is on Saturdays @ 1PM via ZOE's Twitch channel.

https://www.twitch.tv/zombieorpheus/videos

@TOGSolid , I'm guessing this is 1pm Pacific time, but I figured it's not going to hurt to verify.

Oh yea, it's Pacific Time. They're based out of Seattle.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Today, for the first time in years, I played tabletop Battletech. Small game, with the final result being my Wolverine removing both legs from a Shadow Hawk.

My opponent had never played before and is hooked, so he’s going to look into getting his own copy of the rules and look into mechs he may want to run on his own. Instead of borrowing mine.

Nobody on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I still need to get my hands on a set. Really hope I can convince my co-workers to play this during lunch.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I'm in a similar boat. My BFF from high school got me the Beginner Box, and now I need to get the big boy box to complete the set.

The rate it's going though, I may need to wait for the second printing.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I'm stocking up in stuff (mostly odds and ends like little D6s for movement die) to play when I get home from work at the end of the month and while I'm digging that CGL has record sheet PDFs on their website so I can print off sheets, it'd be nice if those PDFs were a little more easily searchable. Is there anything like that out there already available?

Also feel free to @ me or DM me if you live in Seattle and want to play. I live in the North Seattle, Greenwood area and have a couple copies each of both of the new boxed sets.

wWuzwvJ.png
    What are you looking for, Tog? One tool I use is Solaris Skunkwerks. It's out of date (not updated since 2014), but it includes a lot of 'Mech records and has a very nice database feature.

Alternatively, you can look up any 'Mech on MasterUnitList.info, and it will tell you what book any given 'Mech record originates from.

Something that will let me punch in a mech and have it find the record sheet for it. Like if I want to pull up the HBK-4G record sheet for printing, I could just punch in HBK-4G and have it come up. It'd be neat if punching in Hunchback pulled up all Hunchbacks but that's just me getting greedy.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Something that will let me punch in a mech and have it find the record sheet for it. Like if I want to pull up the HBK-4G record sheet for printing, I could just punch in HBK-4G and have it come up. It'd be neat if punching in Hunchback pulled up all Hunchbacks but that's just me getting greedy.

If you type in MadCat, it just spits out "Fuck you, freebirth scum" and shuts down.

see317 wrote: »

If you type in MadCat, it just spits out "Fuck you, freebirth scum" and shuts down.

We all know you to enter Timber Wolf in order for the computer to pull the datasheets.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited February 2019

SSW, by going to File > Open, gives you a sortable table of its database.

In five seconds, I've found it contains 18 different variants for the Hunchie, including the 4G.

I need to check into MegaMekLab; I'm to understand it is likewise capable of these sorts of things.

Nips on
    edited February 2019
    Nips wrote: »

In five seconds, I've found it contains 18 different variants for the Hunchie, including the 4G.

I need to check into MegaMekLab; I'm to understand it is likewise capable of these sorts of things.

Oh awesome, I'll check out SSW. The OP description didn't make it sound like it had a searchable, printable, record sheet database.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Oh awesome, I'll check out SSW. The OP description didn't make it sound like it had a searchable, printable, record sheet database.

@TOGSolid one word of caution though, I think SSW doesn't automatically come with the bulk record sheets; they're a separate download on the site IIRC. But it's just a zip you extract and put in the directory SSW will make for your custom designs (by default a Solaris Skunk Works folder under Documents).

Edit: just double checked, and yeah, you just need to grab the SSW_Master file from the dowloads page of the official site. There's also a separate download for the Clan mechs using clan names if you like.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

@TOGSolid one word of caution though, I think SSW doesn't automatically come with the bulk record sheets; they're a separate download on the site IIRC. But it's just a zip you extract and put in the directory SSW will make for your custom designs (by default a Solaris Skunk Works folder under Documents).

Edit: just double checked, and yeah, you just need to grab the SSW_Master file from the dowloads page of the official site. There's also a separate download for the Clan mechs using clan names if you like.

Thanks! I got it downloaded on my laptop and this works pretty damn well as a Record Sheet rolodex. The OP should totally mention that SSW doubles as a great tool for this sort of thing.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited February 2019
    The only downside, like I mentioned, is that it's four years out of date and doesn't contain anything from the newer supplements.

For the most part, that'll just be later-era stuff (e.g. Dark Age), but I haven't looked to see how much it actually misses.

Nips on
    Wow. That is spooky with the timing of that.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @TOGSolid Hey, do me a favor and wish out loud for an Oosik Irregulars Source Book

3basnids3lf9.jpg

We just need to become a big enough deal IRL. Clearly we need to ramp up our PR campaign and get some merchandising going.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I ordered my Beginner Box four weeks ago and it still hasn't come in to my store.

distibutors plz

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited February 2019
    Boo. That sucks.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a copy of AGoAC, but it may as well be a unicorn. That shit just evaporated out of stock, it's crazy.

Nips on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    TOGSolid Hey, do me a favor and wish out loud for an Oosik Irregulars Source Book

https://www.amazon.com/Homebrewing-Dummies-Marty-Nachel/dp/0470230622/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1EH2U03F2B1DC

@Morkath linked some amazing shit on Discord.

Digital record sheets! https://flechs.net/content/sheets3/
    and
    A GATOR tracker! https://bt-buddy.firebaseapp.com/

wWuzwvJ.png
    Dang. Flechs has come a long way since the last time I looked at it. Neat.

If anyone is desperate to get their hands on an AGoAC box, the eBay listings are starting to come down to MSRP-or-just-below prices for the first time since launch.

I'm still wrestling with whether to grab one now, or wait for the second printing. Lord knows my shame pile's big enough as it is.

I saw a few days ago they had them for sale on the Catalyst website. Are they just having sales and ship when they get them or are they actually shipping?

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited February 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I saw a few days ago they had them for sale on the Catalyst website. Are they just having sales and ship when they get them or are they actually shipping?

It's possible that's actually a second shipment/printing hitting Catalyst's store; I don't think they sell product they don't actually have on hand. Let me go back and dig through their announcements.

[Edit] Here's what I was remembering.
    To Our Customers,

Catalyst Game Labs management is aware that copies of the BattleTech Beginner Box are running critically low both among our retail partners and on the company’s web store. Expecting this unprecedented demand, we have already taken aggressive action to restock this product.

A full reprint of the Beginner Box, of the same size as the initial order, has been completed overseas and is awaiting shipment during the first week of February. We are closely monitoring availability of the “A Game of Armored Combat” box.

Please note: both boxed sets remain in stock via the Catalyst web store as of this writing, and all orders placed while the boxes are in stock will be filled. When inventory runs out, the store will reflect that, and will not accept further orders until the product is back in stock. If you have questions about an order you have already placed, please email store@catalystgamelabs.com.

In addition, the popularity of the BattleTech and Shadowrun anniversary apparel has caused many sizes of both the t-shirt and hoodie for both lines to sell out. A robust re-order has been placed, and all sizes of these items should be back in stock in the next few weeks.

We will follow-up with more details as they become available. Thank you for your patience.

Nips on
    Ah ok. So I probably could avoid the hassle and buy it from them. Wonder how much they charge for shipping.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Is the rulebook in "A Game of Armored Combat" the same as the one titled "Total Warfare"? Basically where can I get the current rules?

edited March 2019
    Yes, the AGoAC rulebook contains the same rules as Total Warfare. Total Warfare is the primary rulebook in the core book series (Total Warfare, TechManual, Tactical Operations, Strategic Operations, Interstellar Operations, Campaign Operations), and contains expanded rules beyond the AGoAC rulebook. You'll find 'Mech rules scattered across the entire series after Total Warfare, in differing levels of minutia.

If all you care about are 'Mech fights, you may alternately pick up the BattleMech Manual, as it contains all of the rules that only concern 'Mechs in a single book.

Nips on
    No, rules for vehicles and infantry and stuff could be cool to branch out to, and thanks for clarifying! I'm thinking Total Warfare for the core rules and TechManual for the rules to customize mechs, paint up a couple lances and if anyone at the local gaming club wants to fight mechs I'll be ready.

Do any of you guys know if/where a rule for shielding one unit with another is in the books? I know the Alpha Strike Companion has an optional Shielding Movement mode, and I'm wondering where to find the Classic equivalent.

So question. I know this is an older version, but how much difference will there be between this one and the new one?
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/194158232X

I'm thinking of picking it up just to read at work when I'm bored.

oosik_betsuni.png