As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Also I'm really shocked by how well the tone works. The mixture of cute bugs, dark souls-esque philosophical musings, comedy and unending grimness shouldn't work but it totally does. My one complaint is that I think all the dark souls-esque metaphysical light and dark stuff kinda sucks and doesn't really add anything to the game.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Also I'm really shocked by how well the tone works. The mixture of cute bugs, dark souls-esque philosophical musings, comedy and unending grimness shouldn't work but it totally does. My one complaint is that I think all the dark souls-esque metaphysical light and dark stuff kinda sucks and doesn't really add anything to the game.

I don't know, "bugs are attracted to the light and it destroys them" isn't bad as story motifs go and plays on the old A Bug's Life gag in a way I haven't seen in a game before.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I don't know, "bugs are attracted to the light and it destroys them" isn't bad as story motifs go and plays on the old A Bug's Life gag in a way I haven't seen in a game before.

It also becomes a lot more concrete if you go through the extra content and the good ending. There's a fairly clear story behind it all.

Garthor on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Finished Nightmare King Grimm! I am a flipping ninja!

I'm at 107% now and the only content I have left to do is Godmaster. I won't be pushing hard for 112%, but I guess it'll give me something to do on the subway.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I actually adore that behind all the lore is a very basic bugs are attracted to light (Radiance) and artificial light (Pale King).

• Options

I'm not saying it's bad lore or uninteresting, I just feel like they added it to the game without understanding why it's such a big part of dark souls.

In dark souls (1 especially) hollowing and light and dark are fundamental to everything about the world design- the player's motivation, npcs, enemies, leveling up, the story and even multiplayer. The genius of dark souls is to take a video gamey system and transform it into a comprehensive world view.

I guess Hollow Knight has some of that, but mostly it just's extra lore for you to uncover if you're interested.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    There are a pair of really good-looking shirts available. I'm having a hard time deciding which one I want.

https://theyetee.com/collections/hollow-knight/products/hk-hornet
    https://theyetee.com/collections/hollow-knight/products/hk-hollowknight

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    There are a pair of really good-looking shirts available. I'm having a hard time deciding which one I want.

https://theyetee.com/collections/hollow-knight/products/hk-hornet
    https://theyetee.com/collections/hollow-knight/products/hk-hollowknight

Well... ideally you would own more than one shirt. And if you're going to have more than one anyway...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

I'm not saying it's bad lore or uninteresting, I just feel like they added it to the game without understanding why it's such a big part of dark souls.

In dark souls (1 especially) hollowing and light and dark are fundamental to everything about the world design- the player's motivation, npcs, enemies, leveling up, the story and even multiplayer. The genius of dark souls is to take a video gamey system and transform it into a comprehensive world view.

I guess Hollow Knight has some of that, but mostly it just's extra lore for you to uncover if you're interested.

I think I disagree with this, only because hollow knight has less philosophical musing and more a direct conflict between very concrete forces of light and dark.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Like, it's not just extra lore to find.

The good ending has you fight the actual villain that you otherwise do not directly see.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think Dark Souls' approach is a lot more profound, but I don't consider a fault of Hollow Knight.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The most lasting message of Hollow Knight is from Deepnest, and that's that bugs can even be creepy to other bugs.

• Options
    okay i watched a lore video and saw the stuff in the good ending and I retract my comments about the DEEP LORE

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    okay i watched a lore video and saw the stuff in the good ending and I retract my comments about the DEEP LORE

except the lore about deepnest, which is deep by nature

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

The deepest.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I still can't beat this damn game. I've given up on getting 100+% and now I'm trying to beat the final boss. This game is so hard!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

The deepest.

Actually... the Abyss...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    McMoogle wrote: »

The deepest.

Actually... the Abyss...

Shhhh! That is legend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Collector's Physical Announced:
    Hollow Knight is now available in a physical edition for Nintendo Switch™ and PlayStation® 4, and PC (DRM-free disc with Steam key), including a special collector’s edition available exclusively on Fangamer.

The Collector’s Edition includes:

Metal brooch with display stand, wall hook, and dual-pronged fastener
    14-page Quirrel comic book
    Gift-box-style case with gold-foil filigree and a clear printed sleeve
    Gold-foil art print set by Ari Gibson
    Physical copy of the game on your choice of platform including all DLC: Hidden Dreams, The Grimm Troupe, Lifeblood, and Godmaster.
    Nintendo Switch™ copies of the Collector’s Edition include a bonus cleaning cloth
    All physical copies of Hollow Knight include a manual and fold-out map of Hallownest.

hollow-knight-physical-switch.900x.jpg

$64 - $69 for Collector's Edition

$29 - $34 for Standard Edition

$25-$29 for Wanderer's Journal

$8-10 for Wanderer Lapel Pin

I'm definitely getting a Journal. That art is sweet.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That is a godsdamned collector's edition

• Options
    I don't really have room for Merch anymore, but holy shit, if I did...

• Options
    Lore & art book! Art & lore book!

That's a-bought.

Also the Team Cherry update talks a bit about the Hornet game's lore!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So this Shakra character is Silksong's equivalent of Cornifer. Neat.

• Options
    Man, that is a homemade figma of the Pure Vessel. Insane.

• Options

That's a-bought.

My biggest gripe is that it is not currently late May.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The thing I'd like most from the Hollow Knight sequel, or any Metroidvania but especially in the case of a game that is navigationally confusing like Hollow Knight (or, say, Axiom Verge), is a goddamned journal and also a proper map notation system. Leaving colored scarabs all over the place just isn't sufficient, sorry.

A running tally of "I did this, I did that, I did this other thing" would be great. "I defeated the Watcher Knights, apparently unlocking X" as a journal entry would go a long way toward helping keep track of places I've been and what I've done.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

That's a-bought.

Worth a click for the terrific fan-art at the bottom of the post. So good!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    The thing I'd like most from the Hollow Knight sequel, or any Metroidvania but especially in the case of a game that is navigationally confusing like Hollow Knight (or, say, Axiom Verge), is a goddamned journal and also a proper map notation system. Leaving colored scarabs all over the place just isn't sufficient, sorry.

A running tally of "I did this, I did that, I did this other thing" would be great. "I defeated the Watcher Knights, apparently unlocking X" as a journal entry would go a long way toward helping keep track of places I've been and what I've done.

I defeated the Watcher knights, and eventually had to cheat a bit to figure out how to get to the Mantis village and Deepnest and so on. I am now fighting the Mantis Lords.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Fuck the goddamn flower.

*sigh* Im actually more disappointed, having completed it.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Fuck the goddamn flower.

*sigh* Im actually more disappointed, having completed it.

Did you start at the end and clear out the enemies first?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yes.

But also on the penultimate attempt I got anxious and hit the spikes, even though Ive dashed through flawlessly a dozen times prior.

The whole quest felt spiteful in a way that doesn't mesh with the rest of the game (IMO).

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Alright, I'm not going for 100 percent but I am going for what I assume will lead to the true ending, but looking at my map, everything is open and I have no idea where to go.

I just got the
    shadow dash and used it to get through the remaining areas I had marked on my map. So I beat the traitor and got half of a charm piece. No idea where to go to get the other half. Hints?

I'm also missing the spell upgrade for the upward explosion thing.

Edit: and I just realized there was an area I couldn't find the entrance to so I cheated and googled it. Guess next time I play I'm going to the hive.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Alright, I'm not going for 100 percent but I am going for what I assume will lead to the true ending, but looking at my map, everything is open and I have no idea where to go.

I just got the
    shadow dash and used it to get through the remaining areas I had marked on my map. So I beat the traitor and got half of a charm piece. No idea where to go to get the other half. Hints?

Edit: and I just realized there was an area I couldn't find the entrance to so I cheated and googled it. Guess next time I play I'm going to the hive.

You found the ruins of the King's Palace during your journey into the deep already. Make sure your dream nail is strong, and look for the White Knight still dreaming

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »

I just got the

You found the ruins of the King's Palace during your journey into the deep already. Make sure your dream nail is strong, and look for the White Knight still dreaming

Ahhh okay. I literally just tried using my dream nail on him today. I mistakenly thought the dream stuff was mostly optional.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular

I just got the

Ahhh okay. I literally just tried using my dream nail on him today. I mistakenly thought the dream stuff was mostly optional.

A whole lot of things are optional, if optional means "strictly necessary to complete the game and get the bad ending".

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Okay, I just died to Nosk because I was trying to get enough ore for the map to Queens garden and figured I should get the pale ore. I think I lost about 2.5 k, because my spirit was somewhere in the garden. Oh well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Ivar wrote: »

I just got the

A whole lot of things are optional, if optional means "strictly necessary to complete the game and get the bad ending".

So I did the thing and it was really hard and now I have the charm and don't know where to go.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Ivar wrote: »

I just got the

So I did the thing and it was really hard and now I have the charm and don't know where to go.

Black Egg. Having the charm will allow Hornet to be present, and that makes all the difference

• Options
    On that note: was Hornet just immune from the light infection due to her twice-royal heritage, or something? I know our Hollow Boys are specifically designed to be a black hole for the infection to sink into- what's Hornet's excuse for not going shiny inside her head like Myla, other than "being biggest badass"?

• Options
    Could have done without the spoilers but thanks

*TyCart*_banner.jpg