As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    In the NHL, they decided in their grand, Bettmanesque wisdom, that ties were no longer going to be allowed. So one of the first changes they made was to make OT become 4-on-4 hockey. Sports turds fell all over themselves about how awesome OT would be with three forwards and one defenseman on the ice. The reality was far less acceptable since teams were terrified of giving up the losing goal it basically just became what happens when both teams go a man down due to penalties: two forwards and two defensemen. Opening the ice up by eliminating a player didn't really affect things all that much. I think, statistically, more games did end with a winning goal than a tie, but it wasn't to any significant degree.

I bring that up to set the stage for commenting on this:
    MorganV wrote: »
    Several ways this can eventuate, and I don't mind any, as long as it's consistent. When overtime runs out, and the score is still tied...
    - Home team wins in the case of a tie (home field advantage)
    - Away team wins in the case of a tie (cause home field is advantage enough)
    - My personal choice, whoever got the ball first, loses. If you're not going to give the other team the opportunity to tie the game if the first team scores the TD, or get to burn 8+ minutes off the clock before kicking a FG, then there should be a consequence if your confidence in scoring fails to pay off.

All this really does is change the gameplan to whomever benefits playing not to lose. To hold on defensively for ten (or whatever) minutes and then be given the victory because they are in the position because of either the schedule (that they had no real hand in setting) or a coinflip and then giving the ball to the other team.

Ties in the NFL are virtually a non-factor. The only reason they're happening more often was the change to allowing the other team a chance if the team that got the ball didn't score a touchdown. And shortening the extra time by five minutes.

The only real solution to preventing ties in footbaw is to keep playing until one team wins by scoring more points than the other. Even if multiple OTs are required. Everything else is meaningless. And since all we are left with is everything else, then I don't care if a game ends in a tie.

I think ties are probably fine in normal games. Even with the changes they still pretty uncommon and tired players are players more likely to get hurt. The longer you drag it out the worse it is. Still I think one change is each team gets one full possession in OT regardless regardless if a TD is scored on opening drive. Both offenses and defenses should get their hands on the ball at least once. This may cause a few more ties but it makes OT less luck of the draw.

I can live with that as a compromise since I don't really believe they should play full quarters indefinitely until a victor is determined. What I really don't care for is the position that ties are so abhorrent that steps must be taken to resolve an issue that was once rare and is now only more common due to half-assed solutions we didn't really need in the first place.

They might as well resolve ties by instigating a game of HORSE or PIG by having kickers pick spots to make attempts from.

Heh, I was gonna say as long as they don't go for penalty kicks like soccer...

And like I said earlier, I'm all for more ties happening in the regular season. You don't do enough during the 60 minutes of regulation, tough shit, you don't get another bite at the apple. Maybe teams will be a bit more aggressive if they know a tie could bite them in the ass. (Narrator : For most HC's, it won't).

My objection was having OT, and then still allowing it to end in a tie. That's not acceptable to me. If you're going to make a tiebreak, then it should end definitively.

Obviously, you need something in place for the finals, and that'd be an exception, but don't they already have an exception? If a playoff OT ends in a tie, they have to keep going, yes?

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I could get behind penalty kicks. You start at the 10 yard line and you each get a turn. Line goes back 5 yards for each successful kick by both teams. First team to make it, while the other team does not, wins.

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I could get behind penalty kicks. You start at the 10 yard line and you each get a turn. Line goes back 5 yards for each successful kick by both teams. First team to make it, while the other team does not, wins.

*Michael Scott noooooo*

I would fucking loathe this. I would rather the average game score was 6-3, and every game had 15 combined punts on 3 and outs). I would rather Washington be the next football dynasty. I'd rather root for the Patriots.

Ok, that last one is probably unrealistic.

It's the second worst thing about soccer. Let's have a team sport go for it's full length, and then have it come down to the actions of really one player.

At least in soccer, it's usually an actual on-field player. Not a substitute that is hired for one specific job, kicking "penalties", and only doing that.

And that's assuming that you are still putting 11 a side on the field. If it's just the holder and kicker, it's so much worse. Because at least soccer has a goalie.

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

*Michael Scott noooooo*

I would fucking loathe this. I would rather the average game score was 6-3, and every game had 15 combined punts on 3 and outs). I would rather Washington be the next football dynasty. I'd rather root for the Patriots.

It's the second worst thing about soccer. Let's have a team sport go for it's full length, and then have it come down to the actions of really one player.

At least in soccer, it's usually an actual on-field player. Not a substitute that is hired for one specific job, kicking "penalties", and only doing that.

And that's assuming that you are still putting 11 a side on the field. If it's just the holder and kicker, it's so much worse. Because at least soccer has a goalie.

I think for overtime the defense and offense should have to switch roles.

Sudden death. First touchdown wins. No ties, play until a win happens. Field goals don’t matter, so four down football.

• BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

*Michael Scott noooooo*

I think for overtime the defense and offense should have to switch roles.

Sudden death. First touchdown wins. No ties, play until a win happens. Field goals don’t matter, so four down football.

I’m with this but make it 7 on 7

PSN: thewheelz
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    My solve: The first team to reach the final point value wins. Down three in the last two minutes? Can't just drive to the 30 and sit for three downs, you need six. Down seven? Play to win or go home.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I accept PKs in soccer because they only exist when an result must happen and they do add thirty full minutes before that. The downside is that teams turtle up because of the fear (and backlash) for failing due to taking a risk.

The NHL fucked that up by putting in the regular season when standings are determined by points awarded and not W/L percentage.

If the NFL does anything other than to allow both teams a chance with the ball, it won't ever matter what they do. Mostly because it's the NFL and they'll fuck it up anyway.

Madpoet wrote: »
    My solve: The first team to reach the final point value wins. Down three in the last two minutes? Can't just drive to the 30 and sit for three downs, you need six. Down seven? Play to win or go home.

Sort of like an auction. Bidding the same amount as someone who has already bid, isn't enough.

And short of an 8pt deficit, the losing team still has a chance.

I like it!

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I like penalty kicks for the NFL. But only if it’s soccer penalty kicks taken by interior linemen.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I know it’s the wrong Pats owner, but...

“I liked it so much, I bought the company”

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Lost in all the drama of Kraft reiterating how shitty he is, the latest trade rumour about Antonio Brown is that Arizona will trade a mid-round pick and Josh Rosen to Pittsburgh for just Brown. Then, KliffyK (friend of McKay) will draft Murray with the number one pick. At which point Murray will have both Brown and Fitzgerald to throw to.

Pittsburgh has also stated they would prefer to trade to the NFC.

Whether-or-not Rosen is actually any good at being a QB, this looks essentially like a deal where Pittsburgh trades for a mid-round pick (probably 3-4) and a future roster cut. Because Rosen needs to play to get better and Rothlisberger ain't gonna like that.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Late to the party, but good Lord does that Robert Kraft news give me life.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Late to the party, but good Lord does that Robert Kraft news give me life.

Just wait when all of nothing happens to him in the courts/nfl you can be reminded men of money in america face no consequences. But if it were one of his patriot players aside from like Brady there would be a million hot taeks on how they should be fired.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The big question would be does the union grow a pair if they decide not to issue a punishment for an off-field problem.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    What's weird is that Bill Simmons has been giving him tuggers on live TV for 5 years and nobody ever cared!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    He gives those for free. That's why it's okay.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Well its also consenting adults on national TV. I mean Aikman watching a cowboy game is obscene to most of the viewing audience, but until standards improve here we are.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Well its also consenting adults on national TV. I mean Aikman watching a cowboy game is obscene to most of the viewing audience, but until standards improve here we are.

Troy-Aikman.jpg

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Today's AAF game is brought to you by Bleacher Report, via live streaming. Available to the world's population of simpletons, because if you're using an ad-blocker, fuck you, no football for you.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

Wonder if the Bears will take a 1st for Khalil Mack

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    I've mentioned NFL Head Coach 09 before. In the game you can trade for draft picks. Lots and lots of draft picks. Eventually amassing so many picks that you could break the game.

SUPERGENIUS Gruden might be trying to break the game.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Deadspin took a look at when Kraft supposedly went to the Orchids of Asia.
    So Robert Kraft went to a seedy massage parlor in a Florida strip mall at 11:00 a.m. that Sunday, then presumably got on his private plane and flew to Kansas City, where he watched the NFL team he owns punch a ticket to the Super Bowl. Rich people are so fucking bizarre.

Also he went on January 19th the day before as well. So twice within 24 hours he went to the strip mall and it's all on tape.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Kraft is not going to face any sort of significant legal consequences. I have no idea why he lied and said he was innocent, though. I think he even did so AFTER the news came out there was video

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Deadspin took a look at when Kraft supposedly went to the Orchids of Asia.
    So Robert Kraft went to a seedy massage parlor in a Florida strip mall at 11:00 a.m. that Sunday, then presumably got on his private plane and flew to Kansas City, where he watched the NFL team he owns punch a ticket to the Super Bowl. Rich people are so fucking bizarre.

Also he went on January 19th the day before as well. So twice within 24 hours he went to the strip mall and it's all on tape.

I believe Bill Maher had the right of it on his show Friday:

"The man's team has won 6 Super Bowls and he needs more happy endings?!"

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Hackenberg still as good as expected, Mettenberger better
    Memphis lost again.

But the Express threw a touchdown pass for the first time in three games this season. In fact, they threw two. And neither one came from Christian Hackenberg.

The 24-year-old former Penn State star was yanked after two first-half interceptions in Saturday’s 21-17 loss to the Orlando Apollos, and former Tennessee Titans quarterback Zach Mettenberger came on in relief.

[...]

Hackenberg’s struggles through two games as Memphis’ starter were well documented.

That trend continued Saturday at Orlando, when the former New York Jets second-round pick threw two interceptions in the first half – one on his first pass attempt of the game.

The Express allowed Hackenberg to finish the first half but turned over the reins to Mettenberger in the third quarter. All the former LSU star did was toss two touchdowns on 9-of-12 passing without an interception.

“It certainly wasn’t an easy decision,” Express coach Mike Singletary told team reporter Dylan Rubino. “It was really difficult to take him (Hackenberg) out. Coming out in the second half, we needed to push the ball downfield vertically, and we felt Zach gave us the best chance to do that.”

Maybe he can do well in the XFL?

Also, too, Mike Singletary still shit as a head coach.

So what newly retired football player will be heralded as the next great colour man?

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    So what newly retired football player will be heralded as the next great colour man?

Give us Jay Cutler.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Greg Olsen probably

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+

Give us Jay Cutler.

This has serious potential.

"And Wentz takes the snap, steps back, and unleashes a bullet. CAUGHT! TOUCHDOWN! What do you think, Jay?"

"Dooooon't caaaaaare."

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Give us Jay Cutler.

"And Wentz takes the snap, steps back, and unleashes a bullet. CAUGHT! TOUCHDOWN! What do you think, Jay?"

"Dooooon't caaaaaare."

If he's as prescient as Romo and as apathetic as his reputation, that would actually be hilarious.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Give us Jay Cutler.

"Dooooon't caaaaaare."

If he's as prescient as Romo and as apathetic as his reputation, that would actually be hilarious.

“They look like they’re going five wide for this one. They’re desperate for points to stay in this game.”

“Yeah, whatever. The ball is going to be intended for whoever the heck 81 is. The defense knows this. It’ll get picked. Probably a pick six, given how everyone is spread out.”

“Snap, drops back, throws to-INTERCEPTED! And he’s on his way to the end zone! Touchdown! Wow Jay, you called it.”

“Yeah. Sure. Whatever. I’m going to go have a smoke.”

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    While KSK Jay Cutler would be amazing, I'd prefer Sexy Rexy, complete with oversized sombrero and tequila. You gotta unleash the Dragon!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

Lucky for everyone else in the NFC I guess.

yds/season( played all 16 games in each)

1145, 952,1030, 1002, 942,1039, 851, 703, 713, 673, 560

You don't need to be some advanced stats nerd to look at that trend line, know he's 36 and go, yeah retiring was a good idea.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    While KSK Jay Cutler would be amazing, I'd prefer Sexy Rexy, complete with oversized sombrero and tequila. You gotta unleash the Dragon!

Well shit, why not both? Sounds like the perfect commentary team.

oldmanken wrote: »

Lucky for everyone else in the NFC I guess.

yds/season( played all 16 games in each)

1145, 952,1030, 1002, 942,1039, 851, 703, 713, 673, 560

You don't need to be some advanced stats nerd to look at that trend line, know he's 36 and go, yeah retiring was a good idea.

You also don't have to be a stats nerd to see a significant drop off from when Romo was healthy and not.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    He was clearly less of a target once Dak and Elliott came in. I wonder if he helps open up their passing game a little more.

They had Dez Bryant and Witten. And Prescott still couldn't open up their passing game. At best, Witten is a Locker Room Presence TM for a team people somehow think won't shit themselves by playing through a first place schedule after being gifted a first place schedule by everybody else in the division playing with a light socket.